PDA

View Full Version : Where's the MARIO welcome?

Meloy
05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.

He can have dinner on me in Galveston any time he wants.

Nawzer
05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
The love will come once he lives up to his potential. Right now people aren't sure of what he can be. And a lot of people still haven't forgotten who we passed up Mario Williams for. I'm not anti-Mario, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on his bandwagon.

jerek
05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
He can have dinner on me in Galveston any time he wants.

Agreed, but I was hoping he could pick up the tab. I mean, if I score 54M, we'd have a party at my place too.

Either way I've said it a bunch already on here, but glad we made the unglamorous choice and went with an all-world defensive talent.

And ... as much as Chuck Cass' "signability" was a smokescreen at the time he said it, I am glad we have already signed him and aren't dealing with all of the off-field BS, *cough* Reggie *cough*.

Welcome, Mario.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
The love will come once he lives up to his potential. Right now people aren't sure of what he can be. And a lot of people still haven't forgotten who we passed up Mario Williams for. I'm not anti-Mario, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on his bandwagon.

That is CRUP... Because had they gotten VY or "my hammie" Bush there would have been a huge welcoming. Neither of those two have lived up to their potential.

This is not directed directly towards you, but that is so hypocritical!!! Bush tweaked his hammie STRETCHING out getting ready for practice. What is up with that. And VY is going to be sitting and "learning" hoping they have another Steve McNair project that will pan out.

MARIO WELCOME AND SMACK SOME HEADS!!! YOU ARE THE #1 PICK IN THE 2006 NFL DRAFT!!! and well deserving

Vinny
05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.It's May, nobody is going to throw football parades for Mario based on closed to the public practices and a few clips on ht.com.

I see a huge welcome here...all I do is look around at how much crazy Super Mario nintendo imagery has engulfed this place and how many people have him in their ava-sigs. There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?

Hulk75
05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
He has plenty of Love from me, he is good.

phantom17
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Maybe we all need to have a pringles & bottled water party for our Super Mario!:) :hides: :mario:

Nawzer
05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
That is CRUP... Because had they gotten VY or "my hammie" Bush there would have been a huge welcoming. Neither of those two have lived up to their potential.

This is not directed directly towards you, but that is so hypocritical!!! Bush tweaked his hammie STRETCHING out getting ready for practice. What is up with that. And VY is going to be sitting and "learning" hoping they have another Steve McNair project that will pan out.

MARIO WELCOME AND SMACK SOME HEADS!!! YOU ARE THE #1 PICK IN THE 2006 NFL DRAFT!!! and well deserving

What you say is true. If we had picked VY or Bush they would've become instant idols in the eyes of many in Houston. I was on the Bush bandwagon and obviously I was very dissapointed that we didn't pick him. You say it is "crap" that many people are not "welcoming" Mario Williams to Houston more openely or something. None of these guys have played a down of NFL football so the only thing we can go by is their college performances and potential the scouts and sports writers talk about. So I don't know how you can say that MW is deserving of the no.1 pick when he hasn't played a down of NFL football. All I'm saying is that Mario Williams will have to earn peoples love and admiration here in Houston. It's not fair but then again life isn't fair. So until then I will hope and pray that Williams is everthying this FO has said he can be, but until then we'll just have to wait and see.:twocents:

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the edit.

edo783
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
all I do is look around at how much crazy Super Mario nintendo imagery has engulfed this place and how many people have him in their ava-sigs. There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?

All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.

Tex Trenches
05-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I feel the Texans definitely made the right choice in selecting Mario #1. We all know, except for maybe Mr. Hodge, what a good defense can do for your football team. Here's to Mario Williams becoming the greatest defensive end ever!

Welcome to Houston Mr. Williams!!

Go Texans!!

Vinny
05-24-2006, 06:01 PM
All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.All of us saw those guys play many times on TV and most of us never saw Mario play. Most of us didn't see David Carr or Dunta Robinson much in College either but I don't think I see any less support for Williams as I did those other first round guys. Some questioned the Carr over Peppers strategy, some fans never wanted Dunta Robinson before the draft because they never really ever saw him play. I bet if Mario Williams was from Houston we would all be in the streets having a good time.

aj.
05-24-2006, 06:13 PM
...and when you start talking about any fan group "in general" you start to pull in the fringe element that is more influenced by buzz factor. Of the first three picks, Mario had far less buzz about him and almost zero visibility to the masses, hence the lack of parades down Kirby. That combined with attitudes about who wasn't drafted, results in what we have today. But I think overall, the die hards here and around town know what we have with #90 and we're pretty happy with it.

powerfuldragon
05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
hi mario

TexanFan881
05-24-2006, 06:42 PM
hi mario

I wonder if Mario visits our boards :hmmm: If he doesn't he should :lightbulb: :yahoo: I think he knows that all of us Texans fans are all excited to see him play for us this year and we could care less what the media says. Good luck this year Mario and we're very excited to see you here and not in a different team's training camp. texanpride

SheTexan
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?

NOPE!!!:love: :mario:

Exascor
05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I'll just rehash what others have said. Mario wasn't even on most of our radars until a few weeks before the draft so we don't really know who he is yet. Many of us that were pulling for Young or Bush have accepted Williams, are glad he's a Texan and happy we took him over the other 2 players. Some less avid football fans (or diehard Young/Bush fans) might still be upset that we didn't take the "hometown boy" or the "best player in the past decade". If we win and Mario is a beast, they'll accept Mario just fine.

There seems to me like there's more Mario avatars than any other player right now. There are many references about Mario in signatures as well. I'd say that Mario has been welcomed by the fanbase.

Brandon420tx
05-24-2006, 07:52 PM
There was also an official welcome mario avatar, that I had for a while before switching to next weeks gas prices..

stevo3883
05-24-2006, 10:04 PM
his "welcome" is located between a few things
http://www.collegesportstoday.com/images/open/reggie_bush_heisman.jpg

Mario's "welcome"

http://stb.msn.com/i/5D/5D49FB1F48E46DE93BE7FE63696E9D78.jpg

he has a lot to prove, and rightfully so

aj.
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
he has a lot to prove...
As far as the NFL goes, so do they.

stevo3883
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
As far as the NFL goes, so do they.

well, not to some of us. on the biggest stages, both guys showed why they were the next two picks in the draft. they don't have to prove as much to justify their spot, their college careers justified their picks. if they fail to produce, no one will say it was a bad pick because all signs pointed to greatness.

Mario went off of potential. potential needs to be fulfilled to justify such a high pick. if he fails it will be declared a horrible pick going for potential over a proven commodity.

*edit* wtf someone told me "the titans board is waiting" for this post, some of yall need to get over someone having a different opinion.

FILO_girl
05-24-2006, 10:56 PM
There are several of us posters here and at other boards (be it repping the Texans in enemy territory or fan powered :homer: boards) who have given Mario as good of a welcome is cyberly possible. Sorry I am not Downtown with a drum and a megaphone, as I am fresh out of both right now. :whip:

Mario, you know I am on your side. Welcome to the Texans, to him AND the other new rostermates he has!!!

We welcome all our new players! Now, practice hard and go kick some serious butt this season!!!!! :fans: :wherewill

GOOOOOOOOOOOO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tex
05-24-2006, 11:05 PM
. So I don't know how you can say that MW is deserving of the no.1 pick when he hasn't played a down of NFL football.:
How can you say anyone is deserving of the no.1 pick if you are going to base it on how they have played in the NFL?

Jwwillis
05-24-2006, 11:10 PM
How can you say anyone is deserving of the no.1 pick if you are going to base it on how they have played in the NFL?

That is the point...nobody will know for 3yrs.

tex
05-24-2006, 11:19 PM
well, not to some of us. on the biggest stages, both guys showed why they were the next two picks in the draft. they don't have to prove as much to justify their spot, their college careers justified their picks. if they fail to produce, no one will say it was a bad pick because all signs pointed to greatness.
Mario didn't have the big name players to back him up that VY and RB had.

texplayer2
05-24-2006, 11:44 PM
That is the point...nobody will know for 3yrs.
The point should be we don't want to wait three years to find out. The four year plan is how they started this franchise. I think alot of people will have it figured out before 3yrs.

stevo3883
05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Mario didn't have the big name players to back him up that VY and RB had.

ncstate had 3 guys picked in the first round.

texas had two. usc had two

Texans86
05-25-2006, 12:45 AM
The point should be we don't want to wait three years to find out. The four year plan is how they started this franchise. I think alot of people will have it figured out before 3yrs.

It's not the 4 year plan he was talking about. Drafts are graded after three years. That's about how long it takes for everyone to know who is a bad player and who is/soon will be a good player. Many will have been cut and out of the NFL completely. Some big names will be solid but not amazing. Some unknowns will be superstars. It takes a few years to get everything ironed out. We will all know this drafts fate after 2008. (season)

Texans86
05-25-2006, 12:56 AM
ncstate had 3 guys picked in the first round.

texas had two. usc had two

While both Texas and NC State has 6 total players taken overall, Texas still has a lot of depth this year that will eventually get drafted. USC is way out there with 14 drafted overall. It's not upper echelon players that make a great team, it's depth that really matters. Besides, of the other two NC State guys drafted in the first round, at least one of them was considered to be a stretch, and both played on the line with Mario. The next NC state player wasn't picked till the 4th round, and the final two in the 6th. Overall, the players from Texas went much higher than those from NC State. Also, only one offensive player came out of NC State in the draft, and that was pick #202, TE TJ Williams. I didn't keep track of NC State, but it's possible that they had a pretty good defense with a terrible offense. Texas was incredible on both sides, hence the National Championship. There are so many ways to look at drafts, that any decent statistician can take any set of numbers and prove a case, it's not until players get on the field that we know how things will turn out. There will be busts out of this draft, along with suprises and dissapointments. It happens year in and year out, and there is no reason to expect any different this year.

Honch Delgado
05-25-2006, 01:04 AM
VY is the hometown guy, Bush was the most exciting player in college football last year. Both put on a show at the Rose Bowl. Both were Heisman candidates. VY brought Texas a national championship, Bush won the Heisman. Many Texas and USC games were nationally televised and Young and Bush were heavily promoted by ESPN so there is the obvious exposure factor. Ofcourse there would have been a celebratory uproar if we took either one. The combine put Mario Williams on the map and I think many Texans are content and understanding of the pick than they are ecstatic, hence the lack of a state parade, holiday, and keys to the city. Judging from the board, Williams has more than been accepted in Houston and he has 26.5 million reasons not to really be upset with the lack of hooplah.

OzzO
05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party?.....

Mario was welcomed by the fans (and moreso after others warmed up to the draft). I think you may be thinking that the MEDIA would've had the parade and party for the homeboy VY or mememe RB as that would've meant self-writing stories for them.

Already noted, but glad to have Mario here - show 'em what's up MW.

TexanFan881
05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
He said during his interview on the HotList about a week ago that the fans have treated him very well and have told him that they are very happy to have him here. I feel the same way as all of the fans feel. Mario fits in well here and I'm very excited to see him play.

Meloy
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.Exactly what I was getting at. What has Mario achieved in the NFL? Same exactly as any other draft pick from 2005. I just think the number 1 pick in the draft deserved a welcome from Houstonians. A little party @ Reliant with cov'g from 610 & ESPN 790, maybe a turnout by White & some council people, McInvale (oops guess he wouldn't show). Maybe McNair could let Mario ride around on Bob & John. The other picks and F/agents could be there. Like the atmosphere when we got the franchise started the first year. You know, make the fans think 2005 was just a speed bump?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
his "welcome" is located between a few things
http://www.collegesportstoday.com/images/open/reggie_bush_heisman.jpg

Mario's "welcome"

http://stb.msn.com/i/5D/5D49FB1F48E46DE93BE7FE63696E9D78.jpg

he has a lot to prove, and rightfully so

I can't do it, but someone on this board should photo shop a shot of Mario holding the Superbowl trophy.

Jwwillis
05-26-2006, 12:37 AM

So, the sum of the value of a draft pick should be determined in his 1st two yrs?? Kinda harsh and not very smart. And who is the "we"? I am perfectly willing to wait 3yrs. What does a so called "Texans 4yr plan" have to do with the value of a single draft pick 3yrs later? You have gone from an individual concept to a team concept. I think a lot of people will have an opinion before 3yrs...yes. "Figued it out"?? It ain't math. It's based on performance year after year.