PDA

View Full Version : Chron: Texans' Babin revved up with move back to defenisve end

LoNghoRn-TeXaN
05-24-2006, 01:50 AM
"Right now, it's him and Antwan (Peek) at that position, and we think it's a real good one-two punch where they are able to relieve each other. Right now we don't look at it like who's the starter and who's the backup. Both of those guys are competing together to make that a great spot and a great position."

Rookie Mario Williams is playing opposite Peek and Babin on the left side. Free-agent signee Anthony Weaver is taking the majority of his repetitions at right tackle, leaving Seth Payne and Robaire Smith to alternate at the other tackle position.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3884483.html

Nice to hear we're doing well but I'm a little concerned about TJ. I hope he doesn't get lost.

Texans34Life
05-24-2006, 05:10 AM
But at 6-2, 271 pounds, Babin remains one of the smaller linemen on the Texans' roster. It's Babin's size, coupled with his skills, that defensive coordinator Richard Smith hopes to utilize.

"He's not going to be stuck on the inside," Smith said. "We have him on the open side where he is on the edge, where we can utilize his speed and athletic ability.

"Right now, it's him and Antwan (Peek) at that position, and we think it's a real good one-two punch where they are able to relieve each other. Right now we don't look at it like who's the starter and who's the backup. Both of those guys are competing together to make that a great spot and a great position."

Rookie Mario Williams is playing opposite Peek and Babin on the left side. Free-agent signee Anthony Weaver is taking the majority of his repetitions at right tackle, leaving Seth Payne and Robaire Smith to alternate at the other tackle position.

"Everybody is pushing each other," Babin said. "There are guys out here that have started in the league a long time, and now we're all fighting for jobs. If anything, it's going to make everybody better.

"And I know from what the coaches say that we're all going to get a lot of playing time. The way we're going to be playing, you can get tired quick. We're going to have a rotation there."

----------------------------------------------

"What I like about him is he's very conscientious," Richard Smith said. "He's a good athlete, shows tremendous speed at the position. He's able to play with leverage, and I think if you're able to do those things, you have a chance to be successful."

The key for Babin at this point is repetition. He has plenty of motivation from the past two seasons to help push him.

"Everybody knows last season was tough for myself and for the team, for Houston and for the coaches," Babin said. "But when you go through those tough times like that, it makes winning feel so much better."

Texan in Japan
05-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Where's Travis Johnson in that rotation?

Marcus
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Where's Travis Johnson in that rotation?
Payne and Smith will rotate at the LT. Weaver and Johnson will rotate at RT.

SESupergenius
05-24-2006, 08:44 AM
That's 2 1st rounders sitting the pine, nice job Casserly!

Marcus
05-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Jesus man! . . . Will you give it a rest? What's done is done . . . now move on!:challenge

Kaiser Toro
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM

I do feel your pain, but Capers and Fangio the Fantastic must be given credit for trying to fit these two round fellers into square holes in the first place.

BREAZE
05-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Its called depth...its finally arrived.

Marcus
05-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I do feel your pain, but Capers and Fangio the Fantastic must be given credit for trying to fit these two round fellers into square holes in the first place.

Yeah . . I noticed that he wasn't even accurate with 'nice job' crack. The point is . . Casserly, Capers, Fangio, and anyone else you want to point a finger at . . . are all gone now.

So what is the point now . . besides :deadhorse

Runner
05-24-2006, 09:10 AM
I hope Babin is able to contribute and this article wasn't just eye wash. I've been concerned about moving college ends who were NFL tweeners back to end, but it may work out.

nunusguy
05-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Payne and Smith will rotate at the LT. Weaver and Johnson will rotate at RT.
There was no mention of Travis Johnson in this article, no indication that
he would rotate with Weaver or anybody else. Now perhaps this was just
an honest ommission by Chron writer Megan, or perhaps his name was not mentioned for another reason ?

Marcus
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
an honest ommission by Chron writer Megan, or perhaps his name was not mentioned for another reason ?
I think that all it is, an ommission. The article is about Babin, so I think there is no reason to think anything, one way or the other, about Johnson.

beerlover
05-24-2006, 09:46 AM
y'all don't forget the Texans got Eric Winston along with TJ for that 1st pick in 05, if both become solid back-ups (worse case scenero) thats a pretty good return, if one or both become starters that would be :yahoo: time will tell.

SESupergenius
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Jesus man! . . . Will you give it a rest? What's done is done . . . now move on!:challenge
Nope, I'm riding this out until the villian is gone. I don't care what you say, Casserly had his hands all over this team and scapegoated Capers just way too much. Capers had his faults but Casserly is(was) the GM and didn't manage this team for #@#$!

So take it, last I looked, Casserly is still in a Texans polo.

Ibar_Harry
05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Nope, I'm riding this out until the villian is gone. I don't care what you say, Casserly had his hands all over this team and scapegoated Capers just way too much. Capers had his faults but Casserly is(was) the GM and didn't manage this team for #@#$!

I hope he takes back his resignation and McNair accepts.

TexanAddict
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Its called depth...its finally arrived.

I would agree that TJ provides quality depth, if he doesn't start this season. By all accounts the DTs will be rotated much more frequently in game than we have probably ever seen before, also with less drop off in talent. Let's also not forget that Payne is 31 and suffered from injuries the past two seasons. Weaver and TJ are both young (25 and 24) and may prove to be our DTs of the future (This is not any sort of guarantee, just speculation until they both actually see extended playing time).

BigTimeTexanFan
05-24-2006, 12:03 PM

Maybe he did keep some of the shirts to workout in or do yardwork in, but as far as I know Casserly is gone

TEXANRED
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I am loving the D-line situation. Depth depth and more depth. Not to mention these guys really are going to push each other. I just dont think Jerry Deloach and Steve Martin were able to give our starting D line the type of compitition needed.

Not only that but with good quality D line playing against our O line may be the O line will be more prepared for each game from week to week.

Vinny
05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Where's Travis Johnson in that rotation?Probably picking a fight with a guy who won't make the roster. :francis:

Kaiser Toro
05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Probably picking a fight with a guy who won't make the roster. :francis:

Is there something behind that, that you are able to share?

nunusguy
05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Is there something behind that, that you are able to share?
Vinney's right, TJ sucker punched an undrafted FA OL from I think Pitt or
WV during a scrimmage last year. It was all on tape, on the TV sports news.

Kaiser Toro
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Vinney's right, TJ sucker punched an undrafted FA OL from I think Pitt or
WV during a scrimmage last year. It was all on tape, on the TV sports news.

I recollect that one, but wanted to see if there is a trend that has not reared its head to the public.

Vinny
05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
I recollect that one, but wanted to see if there is a trend that has not reared its head to the public.
Donno, but so far that his his defining moment as a NFL player in my eyes. I haven't seen much from him yet. I looked at all his snaps last year as best I could a few months ago and he struggled vs the run and had a hard time getting linemen off of him once they got their paws on him. I hope to see a new TJ in a new scheme myself.

jerek
05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Donno, but so far that his his defining moment as a NFL player in my eyes. I haven't seen much from him yet. I looked at all his snaps last year as best I could a few months ago and he struggled vs the run and had a hard time getting linemen off of him once they got their paws on him. I hope to see a new TJ in a new scheme myself.

Keep hoping. I still don't get why -- other than the aspect we passed on DJ and spent a first-rounder -- people think this guy deserves to see the field now or ever. He got a whole one sack last year and I too looked at his tape and saw nothing but an out-of-shape half-ass. I hadn't heard about that recent fight but I do know it wouldn't be his first with a teammate while in a Texans uniform. He is lazy, uncommitted in the weight room, and notwithstanding those few rare moments where he truly plays a determined, pissed-off game, has shown utterly nothing to me. I too would like to see this pick come to some kind of fruition but IMO we traded Derrick Johnson for Winston Justice plus TJ's salary, and came out pretty short on the deal.

Ibar_Harry
05-24-2006, 12:54 PM

For some reason Vinny I have the impression he is not the brightest bulb on the block and that goes along with what you are saying. Despite what people think, most of the players out there are pretty smart and have to be to play the way they do. Yes, there is god given talent, but that alone does not make you a great player.

Kubiak is obviously big on work ethic and being prepared. Perhapes being picked number 1 suggested to him that he didn't have to worry about his position and hasn't put as much effort into it as he should have. That won't fly with Kubiak.

Runner
05-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I hope to see a new TJ in a new scheme myself.

I'm pretty much an optimist and think almost every player is better than they've been given the opportunity to show so far. However, TJ is why I say "almost".

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Maybe TJ will get motivated when he sees other guys getting most of the reps in practice and notices that his name isn't popping up much in the chronicle or on the radio.

A Texan
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Babin will need to get better at shedding blockers. Seems like that was where he fell down in the 3-4. He was usually good at getting to the ball carrier or QB and was a sure tackler on the occasions that he did get free. It just didn't happen enough.

nunusguy
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I happened to see a hard-copy version of this story this afternoon and its
got a couple pictures of Babin and let me tell, that 270+ is showing and it
ain't pretty. I was afraid of this because last year at < 260 he wasn't exactly svelt, so I dunno how this additional weight he's added to bulk up to play the
DL is gonna affect his quickness ?

Brandon420tx
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM

and from the original link http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3884483.html
"And I know from what the coaches say that we're all going to get a lot of playing time. The way we're going to be playing, you can get tired quick. We're going to have a rotation there."

There will be a rotation here... so is Kalu a 3rd string DE?

aj.
05-24-2006, 08:00 PM
A few thoughts:

Babin 271? I was a bit surprised when I read that because I literally stood next to the guy twice in the last month and I didn't see it. He looked much the same to me - meaning not all that physically impressive. Sure - he could kick my ass but the impression was "this guy is about to be a NFL DE?"

The Texans are shuffling DLs all over the place to see what they have in different sets. Weaver has been getting a lot of reps at RT with Robaire at LT, Mario on the strong end and Peek/Babin on the weak end. Sometimes they shift Mario and Babin/Peek before the snap to create a massive Mario mismatch on the weakside LT if the opportunity is there. Get used to them moving guys around a ton.

TJ came right out at the end of last season and said how unhappy he was in Fang's read and react bull****. He's a one gapper who's used to blowing through gaps and creating mayhem. Hopefully we see some of that with the new scheme.

If they keep 8, I would guess Weaver, Mario, Robaire, Peek, Seth, TJ, Babin, and Kalu are the 8.

The DL should really be a strength this year. It needs to be for what they have invested in it.

sprtsfanatic
05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Maybe he did keep some of the shirts to workout in or do yardwork in, but as far as I know Casserly is gone

Nope, not until June 1st...until then he's still the texans gm

Brandon420tx
05-24-2006, 09:05 PM
A few thoughts:

Babin 271? I was a bit surprised when I read that because I literally stood next to the guy twice in the last month and I didn't see it. He looked much the same to me - meaning not all that physically impressive. Sure - he could kick my ass but the impression was "this guy is about to be a NFL DE?"

The Texans are shuffling DLs all over the place to see what they have in different sets. Weaver has been getting a lot of reps at RT with Robaire at LT, Mario on the strong end and Peek/Babin on the weak end. Sometimes they shift Mario and Babin/Peek before the snap to create a massive Mario mismatch on the weakside LT if the opportunity is there. Get used to them moving guys around a ton.

TJ came right out at the end of last season and said how unhappy he was in Fang's read and react bull****. He's a one gapper who's used to blowing through gaps and creating mayhem. Hopefully we see some of that with the new scheme.

If they keep 8, I would guess Weaver, Mario, Robaire, Peek, Seth, TJ, Babin, and Kalu are the 8.

The DL should really be a strength this year. It needs to be for what they have invested in it.
I think they'll keep more then 8, I'm thinking around 9 or 10 just so they still have quality depth at DL in case of an injury, and that way Malone still makes the team. I really liked him last year.

aj.
05-24-2006, 09:18 PM
They won't be keeping 9 or 10 DLs.

Most teams only keep 9 or 10 o-linemen and that's with 5 positions to fill.

7 or 8 on the 53 is typical for DLs in a 4-3.

Brandon420tx
05-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I guess thats just me and my madden:rolleyes: I always kept 9 Dlineman oh well.

Malloy
05-25-2006, 02:45 AM
I hope he takes back his resignation and McNair accepts.

My thoughts exactly! :)

CMoak1982
05-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Babin played at 282 in college, for the combine he slimmed down to 263 to run a better 40, 4.65, I have a subscription to NFLdraftscout, the report on him was really good, they said his 40 was due to losing weight but when he played at 282 he was still really good, granted it was against limited competition but he should be able to play at 271. Still has pass rush ability, I would like to see more weight room payoff with him, they said he's very athletic for his size with good straight line speed, me personally I would like to see his conditioning and overall athletic ability improve as in with him gaining his weight back make sure its muscle and not just gaining fat to slow him down.