PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Wells

Goldeagle
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Is he officially gone or still with the team?

If he is gone, I wish him the best, he was a great player for us and worked hard to prove his roster spot.

If he is still here, COOL!

sprtsfanatic
05-22-2006, 10:39 PM
gone, was released a month or so ago.

Goldeagle
05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
dang, thank you for responding.

infantrycak
05-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Technically he was not released. His contract expired and he became an UFA.

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 11:24 PM
We can sign him through free agency still, so not all hope is lost, but we already have 4 solid RBs and we don't really need him.

Bobo
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
We can sign him through free agency still, so not all hope is lost, but we already have 4 solid RBs and we don't really need him.

Wells helped the Texans win half of their games last year. In the two games he started, he rushed for more than 80 yards and in the game against Arizona he added two TDs and 33 receiving yards. I would say he shouldn't have been released and probably is better than at least half of the backs the Texans currently have.

Sportsfan
05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Where was he picked up?

El Tejano
05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I still haven't heard of him signing with anyone else.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I'll always have a special place in my heart for guys who were here the first season, but it is time for Wells to move on. The best thing he gets for his time served here is the NFL's pension plan. Players who are on rosters for 4 full seasons qualify for it. He deserves it. He played hard when he was given the chance. He just doesn't belong on a team that is trying to pull itself out of the cellar.

Cjeremy635
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I have never heard of the NFL pension plan. What does it include? Just curious about the details. On another note, I too wish Wells the best and thought he deserved to play. He gave it his best and would play whatever position he was needed at, you really can't ask for much more than that.

Rightnow
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I think Wells was one of the best special team players on the squad but I don't think he is a starter in the league. I think he is a good backup and situational back. I know that a couple of seasons he admitted to not working out hard enough and being in football shape. It was the first time DD was out and he had to come in. I wonder what kind of shape he was in when Kubiak saw him? I'm not saying that was why he was let go, but he did have a history.

I like that he did whatever was asked of him too and a good special teams player is valuable. I hope someone picks him up, but the fact that they haven't makes me wonder.

I know he took something like 50 family members from NO during Katrina.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't have any details on it. I knew a guy who was a really good friend of Eric Hill. Eric played 11 or 12 NFL seasons mostly with the Cardinals. He was drafted out of LSU, and he played his high school ball in my home town of Galveston.

He told us once that an NFL player hits his first big milestone when he qualifies for the pension plan after 4 seasons.

I didn't ask a whole bunch of questions. I could have been distracted by Eric's mammoth size, charisma, and the kung fu grip he put on my hand when he shook it.

Cjeremy635
05-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I would imagine that the pension is the millions of dollars they already made. It would take me just over 15 years to make a million dollars, not including my wife's income. So, if I made 10 million for 5 years of work, I'd be a happy camper and wouldn't need a pension plan to get me through retirement. One can only dream:drool:

Rightnow
05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, the NFL pension program is actually pretty good from what I understand. I don't think most players are getting rich from it, but they can at least survive. The old time players from over 30 years ago don't get very much, but the newer players do okay.