PDA

View Full Version : I Like this Team

fastpitchwoof
05-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't know if it is the usual post draft pre pre season optimism or if it is real, but I like the way this team is shaping up. We certainly are not super bowl contenders this year. You can't fix a team that quick but I do believe that we COULD threaten to make the playoffs. I won't be crushed if we don't but I do think we will be much better than last year.

I think the new coaching staff and the off-season signings of solid players coupled with a very good draft paves the way for success in a couple of years. I don't think we should be disappointed and panic if we only win 4 games this year. If the losses add up but we are playing well then that is ok. As long as we are competitive this year I can live with the losses. Then next year we should be ready for a real playoff push. By then, this year's draft will take hold and we should see the development of the young guys and Kubiak's system.

We had too many holes to fix in 1 year to hope for immediate success, but we should see improvement. I already see improvement in the roster and will only get better next year. Then we can draft for best athlete available instead of multiple immediate needs at many different positions.

:texflag:

fastpitchwoof
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
One more thing I'd like to praise about the Texans. Our running back situation is a good one if you use the Denver system as a model. We did not give into temptation to draft Bush (although he is a tremendous talent). His style does not fit the Denver scheme of 1 cut and go. Bush throws down multiple moves (a la Barry Sanders) then out jukes a defender and then goes. Would he have been successful here? Probably but other backs will fit the system better.

If Mario is as good as they say and Bush is as good as they say, Mario is still the best choice in the long run. RBs don't last as long as DEs because of the pounding that RBs take. So Mario for 10-12 years is a better investment than Bush for 7-9 years. Of coarse both could be a bust but the draft is always full of those who should be good but aren't and those who are steals in the later rounds.

TheCD
05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I agree with the optimism. The reason everyone is always optimistic after a bad season is because of the parity that the NFL developed to allow more teams to have a chance.

Super Bowl isn't likely, but not impossible.

Playoffs are possible but not too likely.

However, teams rebound emensely every year, so there's plenty of reason to look forward to next season.

El Tejano
05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
It also can't get any worse because 2-14 feels like 0-16.

TheOgre
05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
It also can't get any worse because 2-14 feels like 0-16.

Considering we were a Phillip Buchanon tip from being 1-15, I don't think that is a big stretch.

fastpitchwoof
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
The 1st step we need to take is make Reliant the second coming of the "House of Pain." We need to get nasty and put teams away when we get them down. If Reliant can become a place that other teams fear (Mile High Stadium, Oakland Alameda Coloseum of the 70's, Lambeau Field etc.) then we can establish home field dominance and that will translate into playoff teams.

Runner
05-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Considering we were a Phillip Buchanon tip from being 1-15, I don't think that is a big stretch.

P-Buc: Game Saver

mexican_texan
05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Is this team better than the 2004 7-9 team? In my mind, yes.

Texans_Chick
05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
The 1st step we need to take is make Reliant the second coming of the "House of Pain." We need to get nasty and put teams away when we get them down. If Reliant can become a place that other teams fear (Mile High Stadium, Oakland Alameda Coloseum of the 70's, Lambeau Field etc.) then we can establish home field dominance and that will translate into playoff teams.

It is possible.

I was at the Big 12 Championship game this year in a stadium full of mostly Texas fans. Everybody had their gear on. And the club level people were mostly in their seats. And it was earbleedingly loud even though the game got outta hand quickly and was basically over soon after it started.

And I thought, when the Texans start really winning, it is going to be like that. And I can't wait.

It's been too long since it has been really rocking in there. I am ready again.

Double Barrel
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM

Well...we can scream and create a hostile environment all we want...BUT, if they don't win, it'll just be a "House of Shame".

Win, and fans will react. :redtowel: ...and then teams will have reasons to fear our homefield.

Otherwise, it's just a handful of hardcore and/or drunk fans screaming and yelling about how bad our football team sucks. At least, that was my experience staying until 0:00 during all of our home games last year.

titan hater
05-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Well...we can scream and create a hostile environment all we want...BUT, if they don't win, it'll just be a "House of Shame".

Win, and fans will react. :redtowel: ...and then teams will have reasons to fear our homefield.

Otherwise, it's just a handful of hardcore and/or drunk fans screaming and yelling about how bad our football team sucks. At least, that was my experience staying until 0:00 during all of our home games last year.

I resemble that remark...

Texans51
05-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah i can't wait either. Last season was so depressing the only time the crowd ever got into it was when we barely tipped that pass to beat the Browns. What sucked last year was the the texans offered no excitment, except when Mathis was returning kicks. This year with new staff and players i think reliant will actually have something to cheer about!

WiiBrawler
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM

Consider this, last year the Astros were 36-17 when the Minute Maid Park Roof was closed,15-11 when it was open. What does that tell you, it tells you when the roof is closed, we gotta cheer as loud as we can when they make a good play, If we get loud, they cant call the plays very well.

Lets Scream Loud and Proud!:fans: :texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Brandon420tx
05-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah i can't wait either. Last season was so depressing the only time the crowd ever got into it was when we barely tipped that pass to beat the Browns. What sucked last year was the the texans offered no excitment, except when Mathis was returning kicks. This year with new staff and players i think reliant will actually have something to cheer about!
It was sad last year when people were hoping the other team would score just so we see Mathis return a kick... personally, I'd rather only see Mathis return 1 kick per game.:perfect10: :fans: :ohsnap: :whoohoo:

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I have a lot of optimism this year but last year we all had the same thing. I think it is obvious right now that our team is a lot better than last year's, but still, we might just think our team is better than it actually is because we're biased. I think it's a good sign that people are starting to notice the strides that our team has made so far.

TexanSam
05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I like the way this team is shaping up also. The only concern for me is the secondary. Faggins or Buchanan isn't exactly the best option for your 2nd CB. Hopefully they all step up their game though. Every other position (except for O-Line) we don't have any glaring weaknesses. O-line, it remains to be seen. Yes, new coaching should help, along with the addition of Salaam, Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan, but with our O-line being terrible all four years, I'll wait until I actually see how they play.

HeartofHouston
05-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I like the way that the team is turning out also. We added a great DE and VERY smart LB in the draft to go with a good CB in D-Rob.

We added a solid TE with Putzier and a great #2 reciever in Eric Moulds. And finally the wekest part of the team just got better.

Salaam played with Kube before so his learning curve is a lot shorter than the rest of our linemen. Winston could have been a top 15 pick barring the injury that he suffered. Spencer is a BIG mountain of a man with good quickness. Flanagan is a veteran and will provide LOTs of leadership to a line that is in dying need of it. Pitts is versatile and could end up starting.

Carr can now roll out of the pocket and see more of the field. We have a wide variety of running backs that will get a long look at cause as we all know Kube's zone blocking system can turn anybody into a star (ei - Orlandis Gary).

I'm excited about the new system coming.. Good Luck Texans..

kcwilson
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I like the way this team is shaping up also. The only concern for me is the secondary. Faggins or Buchanan isn't exactly the best option for your 2nd CB. Hopefully they all step up their game though. Every other position (except for O-Line) we don't have any glaring weaknesses. O-line, it remains to be seen. Yes, new coaching should help, along with the addition of Salaam, Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan, but with our O-line being terrible all four years, I'll wait until I actually see how they play.

I am excited for the team also, but want to be fair. I am a little uneasy about RB position. Unless DD can prove to be healthy for an extended period of time, our RB will play to the level of their experience.

There is not much natural game breaking talent in the RB position.

DD: gets dinged up easily, and it usually is in the leg area. I think he is extremely talented and could be Pro Bowler if he remains healthy. Hasn't proven he can do so.

Morency: Extremely unproven at the pro level. We don't know what we have here, but we hope that he is valuable. To me, he is the KEY to the running game this year. He must step up and take pressure off of DD in the running and pass catching game.

A. Smith: Veteran, no speed, between the tackles. Not an everydown back but good for short yardage. If DD is hurt, he'll get us 2.5 to 3.5 YPcarry.

Lundy: 6th round pick - rarely does a 6th rounder turn into a starter, or is able to be a starter in the NFL.

With Kubiak, I think he runs to setup the pass, but we don't know, a few times last year he passed to setup the run (against NE in the playoffs I think). That said, I would feel a little more at ease with another RB in year to replace A. Smith. Not a big fan of that signing.

TK_Gamer
05-22-2006, 06:18 PM
heres why im optimistic this year, the 3 main problems i saw last year were:
1) no pass rush
2) no real reciever options other than johnson or davis
3) not enough time for carr to let the plays/routes develop. (o-line protection)

i think we adressed every problem in the offseason
1) switching to the 4-3 and mario and kalu should generate the pressure we need. plus the new linebackers will allow babin and peek to become the pass rushers they can be.

2) i wish jabar gaffney would have worked out, but i believe he actually hurt the team by hanging on to him as long as we did. eric moulds, and putzier will give carr the other options he didnt have last year.

3) salaam, spencer and winston will not only strengthen our o-line, but will give it something we have never had, some consistency. we have tried to juggle 7 linemen at 4 positions since day one. trying to plug in here, patch over there, no one can be their best when they dont even know what postion they play.

we all know the arm that carr has, yes im very excited about the possiblities for this year. im not gonna say super bowl, or even playoffs, but i think a winning season is possible. and a defense that by the end of the year, will demand respect.

Bobo
05-22-2006, 06:31 PM
One more thing I'd like to praise about the Texans. Our running back situation is a good one if you use the Denver system as a model. We did not give into temptation to draft Bush (although he is a tremendous talent). His style does not fit the Denver scheme of 1 cut and go. Bush throws down multiple moves (a la Barry Sanders) then out jukes a defender and then goes. Would he have been successful here? Probably but other backs will fit the system better.

If Mario is as good as they say and Bush is as good as they say, Mario is still the best choice in the long run. RBs don't last as long as DEs because of the pounding that RBs take. So Mario for 10-12 years is a better investment than Bush for 7-9 years. Of coarse both could be a bust but the draft is always full of those who should be good but aren't and those who are steals in the later rounds.

The Texans RB situation is a good one for one reason and one reason alone -- Dominick Davis. Heck, he was good using the "Houston system" long before Kubiak came here.

Bobo
05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know if it is the usual post draft pre pre season optimism or if it is real, but I like the way this team is shaping up.

It's the usual post draft pre pre season optimism. Everybody's optimistic and hopeful since everyone starts 0-0, but the Texans obviously have a long, long way to go and I don't see them making any huge steps in that direction -- especially with the very questionable moves regarding RB and QB.

Double Barrel
05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Consider this, last year the Astros were 36-17 when the Minute Maid Park Roof was closed,15-11 when it was open. What does that tell you, it tells you when the roof is closed, we gotta cheer as loud as we can when they make a good play, If we get loud, they cant call the plays very well.

I was at many of those games...great season...but, I'm still confused about cheering at a baseball game. We cheer for both the offense and the defense, right? So we cheer when our pitcher is concentrating, and cheer when our batters are concentrating. I'm still trying to figure out how this rattles the opposing team, because their home crowd does the same thing. :um:

Football is easy: cheer for defense, shut up for your offense.

stevo3883
05-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I was at many of those games...great season...but, I'm still confused about cheering at a baseball game. We cheer for both the offense and the defense, right? So we cheer when our pitcher is concentrating, and cheer when our batters are concentrating. I'm still trying to figure out how this rattles the opposing team, because their home crowd does the same thing. :um:

Football is easy: cheer for defense, shut up for your offense.

in baseball the cheering just pumps up the adrenaline of the batter/pitcher, as well as flustering the opposing pitcher/hitter.

WiiBrawler
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I remember I game i went to the broncos preseason game last year, The People in end zone were screaming like crazy for a goalline score! And David Carr was waving his arms like a bird flaping his wings, the broncos got a goaline stand, and we ended up losing the game 20-14, if only we scored, your right Double Barrell, we shut up on offense!

slamdunc
05-23-2006, 06:10 AM
heres why im optimistic this year, the 3 main problems i saw last year were:
1) no pass rush
2) no real reciever options other than johnson or davis
3) not enough time for carr to let the plays/routes develop. (o-line protection)

i think we adressed every problem in the offseason
1) switching to the 4-3 and mario and kalu should generate the pressure we need. plus the new linebackers will allow babin and peek to become the pass rushers they can be.

2) i wish jabar gaffney would have worked out, but i believe he actually hurt the team by hanging on to him as long as we did. eric moulds, and putzier will give carr the other options he didnt have last year.

3) salaam, spencer and winston will not only strengthen our o-line, but will give it something we have never had, some consistency. we have tried to juggle 7 linemen at 4 positions since day one. trying to plug in here, patch over there, no one can be their best when they dont even know what postion they play.

we all know the arm that carr has, yes im very excited about the possiblities for this year. im not gonna say super bowl, or even playoffs, but i think a winning season is possible. and a defense that by the end of the year, will demand respect.
I agree with everything in this....well put. Not real high on a winning season though it would be sweet.

ensign_lee
05-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I remember I game i went to the broncos preseason game last year, The People in end zone were screaming like crazy for a goalline score! And David Carr was waving his arms like a bird flaping his wings, the broncos got a goaline stand, and we ended up losing the game 20-14, if only we scored, your right Double Barrell, we shut up on offense!

Wouldn't we still have lost? Because you have to take away 3 points for the FG that we would have gotten, so the final score would have been 20-18.

By the way, how did we get 14 points with a FG?

WiiBrawler
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't we still have lost? Because you have to take away 3 points for the FG that we would have gotten, so the final score would have been 20-18.

By the way, how did we get 14 points with a FG?

Im assuming they will score because of their one yard from the goal-line

Please_Evolve
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I am excited for the team also, but want to be fair. I am a little uneasy about RB position. Unless DD can prove to be healthy for an extended period of time, our RB will play to the level of their experience.

There is not much natural game breaking talent in the RB position.

DD: gets dinged up easily, and it usually is in the leg area. I think he is extremely talented and could be Pro Bowler if he remains healthy. Hasn't proven he can do so.

Morency: Extremely unproven at the pro level. We don't know what we have here, but we hope that he is valuable. To me, he is the KEY to the running game this year. He must step up and take pressure off of DD in the running and pass catching game.

A. Smith: Veteran, no speed, between the tackles. Not an everydown back but good for short yardage. If DD is hurt, he'll get us 2.5 to 3.5 YPcarry.

Lundy: 6th round pick - rarely does a 6th rounder turn into a starter, or is able to be a starter in the NFL.

With Kubiak, I think he runs to setup the pass, but we don't know, a few times last year he passed to setup the run (against NE in the playoffs I think). That said, I would feel a little more at ease with another RB in year to replace A. Smith. Not a big fan of that signing.

Was round was Terrell Davis selected in? I'm not saying he's the next terrell davis or anything. Just It's more a running system and a stable of backs that have the capability to get the job done...I know people keep talking about a homerun hitter on offense. Dre? Mathis...if his receiving skills get better. I'm fora more well rounded offensive effort anyway. Makes us harder to gameplan for. Dre, Moulds, Putzier, DD..dare i saya healthy Bennie Jopps?

Double Barrel
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
in baseball the cheering just pumps up the adrenaline of the batter/pitcher, as well as flustering the opposing pitcher/hitter.

But that's the thing...shouldn't our players be conditioned to excessive crowd noise from Minutemaid? So it should make them immune to it in other stadiums, too, right? idonno:

Or is it just because they know it's cheering for/against them? :confused: