PDA

View Full Version : NFL Countdown Draft Review - "A"

Texan in Japan
05-20-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/review/teams/houstontexans.html

Looks like we've tied for best w/ ARZ so far.

Brandon420tx
05-20-2006, 12:40 PM
When will people understand, no one offered to trade down...

Ibar_Harry
05-20-2006, 12:43 PM
It is a broken record isn't it....

Texan in Japan
05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
That fact coupled w/ it appeared that the NYJ really wanted Williams, wouldn't have left us really any offers. Logic says you don't pass the guy you really want unless the deal is just too good to pass.

Tex Trenches
05-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I can't wait for mid-term grades.

TheCD
05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I've heard from many sources that Mario would have been a sure #1 pick in any draft without Reggie Bush...it seems as though people just can't get over the fact that their God didn't get taken first.

Seņor Stan
05-20-2006, 01:36 PM
When will people understand, no one offered to trade down...

This is frustrating. What I remember most is how the Saints phones would be ringing off the hook with teams looking to get Reggie. Obviously, they couldn't get a good enough deal to move down from the NUMBER 2 spot. No team was going to move up, give up picks, and pay NUMBER 1 money.

Another issue I have is omitting the trade of the 5th round pick for Eric Moulds and the signing of Kevin Walter that cost the Texans their 7th rounder.

From the same website's Broncos review...

Even though his name doesn't show up as a member of this draft class you'd be remiss not to factor in the acquisition of disgruntled Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker for a second round pick. There is some risk involved with the deal because Walker is coming off of a major knee injury but if he can regain his pre-injury form he's one of the best young wideouts in the league and will finally give them the stud they have been looking for to eventually replace Rod Smith.

Moulds, IMO, is the biggest addition of the off season behind Mario Williams.

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Did I hear the guys on the late show 610 say we were trying to trade up and get DeAngelo Williams, I knew going in we were trying to but I did not know who, is this right?

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Did I hear the guys on the late show 610 say we were trying to trade up and get DeAngelo Williams, I knew going in we were trying to but I did not know who, is this right?

That would have been awesome. We probably would have just traded our third round pick (charles spencer since I think Eric Winston is who we wanted more) and our second to get DeAngelo and right now that would look really, really good. DeAngelo deserved to be a top 10 pick. I'm sure Kubiak would have liked him too considering he is a good weapon out of the backfield and Kubiak seems like he wants to give Carr as many weapons as he can.

Ibar_Harry
05-20-2006, 01:48 PM
That would have been awesome. We probably would have just traded our third round pick (charles spencer since I think Eric Winston is who we wanted more) and our second to get DeAngelo and right now that would look really, really good. DeAngelo deserved to be a top 10 pick. I'm sure Kubiak would have liked him too considering he is a good weapon out of the backfield and Kubiak seems like he wants to give Carr as many weapons as he can.

It was certainly rumored that we wanted to move up into the 1st for a 2nd pick. Why it didn't happen is anyone's guess.

Seņor Stan
05-20-2006, 02:01 PM

I think they were targeting trading with the Bears at the # 26 spot. I don't think the Texans would have given up a 3rd rounder though. Too expensive (840 pts vs 700 on the infamous draft chart) Trading their 4th rounder would have made some sense (692 pts vs. 700 pts).

I think Buffalo might have screwed the plan up by shipping their #42 and #73 to the Bears.

dwilt72
05-20-2006, 02:02 PM
I would give their draft a C at best. I think they over-reached for Mario and drafted him on Combine numbers rather than consistant on-field performance. Ryans was a great pick at where he was drafted. Spencer and Winston were excellent picks, especially at the top of the third round. I'm not really sure why we drafted Daniels in the 4th. I would have rather seen a MLB or DB at that pick. Lundy may end up being a very good pick in the 6th. I think they blew the first pick, had solid 2nd and 3rd rounds and were maybe hung over at the start of day 2. All in all, it was average. Of course all of this is speculation anyway. No one knows 100% what these guys are going to do until they tee it up.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I think they were targeting trading with the Bears at the # 26 spot. I don't think the Texans would have given up a 3rd rounder though. Too expensive (840 pts vs 700 on the infamous draft chart) Trading their 4th rounder would have made some sense (692 pts vs. 700 pts).

I think Buffalo might have screwed the plan up by shipping their #42 and #73 to the Bears.

Especially since they got McCargo :crazy:

dwilt72
05-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Especially since they got McCargo :crazy:

I didn't understand that one either.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I didn't understand that one either.

I know. They probably could have gotten him at #42 and kept their #73.

Tailgate
05-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I think an A is well deserved.... especially considering the fact that we basically got Eric Moulds with our #5 pick. Not alot of draft grades do.

MorKnolle
05-20-2006, 11:24 PM

I think you're right on with this, seems as though the Texans were ready to deal their 2nd and 4th to the Bears for the #26 but the Bills jumped in at the last minute with a 2nd and 3rd to get a guy that would have been available with their 2nd round pick anyways (McCargo). Had that trade worked out, our draft would have looked like this (assuming everything else fell in order):

1) Mario Williams
26) DeAngelo Williams
65) Charles Spencer
66) Eric Winston
98) Owen Daniels
6th round) someone other than a RB
7th round) BPA (David Anderson??)

I would have liked this draft as much if not more than it actually worked out, and probably would have liked it even more had we just drafted Derrick Johnson last year (would have forfeited Travis Johnson and Charles Spencer, but I'd be fine with giving them up for DJ).

mexican_texan
05-20-2006, 11:53 PM
No way I would give up DeMeco Ryans for Williams. DD, on the other hand, could be a cap casualty anyway.

Hulk75
05-21-2006, 12:49 AM
I agree I think an A is a perfect grade for our draft. We pretty much got guys in every round that will be on the team next year, maybe not the WR from Colorado State, or maybe he is Kubiak loves him he said himself.

Texan in Japan
05-21-2006, 03:16 AM
I think you're right on with this, seems as though the Texans were ready to deal their 2nd and 4th to the Bears for the #26 but the Bills jumped in at the last minute with a 2nd and 3rd to get a guy that would have been available with their 2nd round pick anyways (McCargo). Had that trade worked out, our draft would have looked like this (assuming everything else fell in order):

1) Mario Williams
26) DeAngelo Williams
65) Charles Spencer
66) Eric Winston
98) Owen Daniels
6th round) someone other than a RB
7th round) BPA (David Anderson??)

I would have liked this draft as much if not more than it actually worked out, and probably would have liked it even more had we just drafted Derrick Johnson last year (would have forfeited Travis Johnson and Charles Spencer, but I'd be fine with giving them up for DJ).

We wouldn't have got Daniels as we would have given up our 4th.

wicked_wayz
05-21-2006, 03:30 AM
im happy wit our draft, its the best draft and off season this team has had since it entered the league. all i know is that im sick of those other analysis that grade us C and D just because we didn't draft one person - bush - will they ever let it go, all i can say is we deserve A or atleast B

wicked_wayz
05-21-2006, 03:31 AM
but i got to admit the cardinals had a great draft and they too deserve an A