PDA

View Full Version : QB Dave Ragone Waived

Vinny
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I just got the news from the Texans that David Ragone has been waived. You heard it here first (we try to give you MB guys the early scoop), and will see the update on the site later today. That's all I really know right now, but I received permission to post this as Dave has been contacted and such.

Sportsfan
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I just got the news from the Texans that David Ragone has been waived. You heard it here first (we try to give you MB guys the early scoop), and will see the update on the site later today. That's all I really know right now, but I received permission to post this as Dave has been contacted and such.

Permission from who? How do you know this, what are your sources? I believe you, i'm just curious.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Quite a house cleaning going on around here.

Kubiak obviously bringing his kind of player in to fit his system.

I hope Ragone catches on somewhere quickly.

I respect that they are keeping there word and getting rid of guys as soon as they know they don't want them therefore giving the players the best opportunity to find employment.

TommyS
05-19-2006, 03:53 PM
and will see the update on the site later today.

ITS UP ALREADY

Vinny
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Permission from who? How do you know this, what are your sources? I believe you, i'm just curious.I run this site (mb). Nick put the story up just now anyway. You guys only got a teeny scoopage today.

Texan Asylum
I don't know it myself, but I always thought Dave never did get a good opportunity to prove his metal with the Texans. :twocents:

B.Diddy
man Kube's is really shakeing things up around here Competition is gonna be fierce because nobody's job is safe anymore ......i like it

YoungTexanFan
05-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I run this site.

Ownage.

Texan Asylum
I run this site. Nick put the story up just now anyway. You guys only got a teeny scoopage today.
Vinny, I think he meant permission to release the info.:)

Sportsfan
I run this site (mb). Nick put the story up just now anyway. You guys only got a teeny scoopage today.

Oh, ok. Cool man. Was just curious. Thought maybe you knew someone in the FO or something. Good job w/the site by the way. Cheers

kcwilson
05-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I guess that tells everyone the value of NFL Europe.

Vinny
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Vinny, I think he meant permission to release the info.:)
Nick called me (not that it really matters who did - but thanks to Nick for handing out breaking news to us mb guys), but I won't post any bogus rumor since I run the site and I'm supposed to be responsible for it. I wouldn't do anything to get myself kicked out of here.

nunusguy
05-19-2006, 04:01 PM
man Kube's is really shakeing things up around here Competition is gonna be fierce because nobody's job is safe anymore ......i like it
Just the ones he drafted or acquired in FA since he got here a few months ago.

Texan Asylum
05-19-2006, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't do anything to get myself kicked out of here.
Same here man...heck without this site, I couldn't practice my two finger typing skills. :bananasplit:

wags
05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
So who's our third string QB?

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm guessing we did this because Quinton Porter and/or Matt Baker have done well so far. He will probably end up being our 3rd string QB. Hopefully Dave gets a good shot somewhere else, as he has a lot of talent and he has shown that in NFLE.

kcwilson
05-19-2006, 04:10 PM
This is kinda of scary because I read elsewhere that Rosenfels was having trouble getting the snap on his first two plays after taking over for Carr the other day.

This is one area where we don't have a great deal of veteran depth.

TwinSisters
05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
So who's our third string QB?

Mathis and the top secret Texans counter option program

Seriously though... there are 95 active on the roster. We have two rookies Baker and Porter. I like Porter better, but I have never seen the other guy.

wags
05-19-2006, 04:15 PM
I feel more comfortable riding shotgun with Ted Kennedy than letting Porter QB.

TwinSisters
05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I feel more comfortable riding shotgun with Ted Kennedy than letting Porter QB.

LOL! Well hopefully we will never see a 3rd string QB running the ship. Besides that Vinny is still out on the wire... if it came down to it, just hand him a helmet.

Exascor
05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I didn't like the Ragone pick. We had Carr and using a 3rd round pick on a back up seemed wasteful on a young team like ours. I did hope he could provide us with some competetion for Carr and at least some security if Carr got injured.

Bottom line, another wasted 3rd round pick. :twocents:

tsip
05-19-2006, 04:24 PM

...except for Carr---no competition, ain't goin' nowhere

Porky
05-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow! Another brilliant Casserly move down the toliet. We had so many other needs, and we drafted a QB that we waive after 3 yrs. Is it any wonder why we were 2-14 last year? Where is Casserly right now? I want to talk to that wascaly wabbitt. :hunter:

Double Barrel
05-19-2006, 04:52 PM
wow, Mr. NFL Europe gone! Crazy.

Runner
05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Hopefully he gets reunited with Linehan in St. Louis. He deserves a real shot.

aj.
05-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Also heard this on 610 at about 3:45 ish. They dropped it in during a break when they were talking with TMack... Nick mentioned to me earlier this week that he wanted to start breaking news on the message board in addition to the front page since there's usually a quite a few people hanging out here all the time. I think that's a great idea.

As far as Ragone, I'm sure he's through kicking himself for not coming out a year earlier. Would have meant a higher draft position and maybe a more favorable situation for him than this wasteland for three years. But HEY you can never have enough quarterbacks SEE...

Tex Trenches
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Who's Dave Ragone?

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Who's Dave Ragone?

3rd string QB who we drafted in the 3rd round a few years ago...good in NFL Europe...hasn't really done much for us yet but could have competed for the #2 QB position.

phil2366
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I guess that means Lord has another position option again. Just kidding, I do like the kiddo though and I am pulling for him to stick.

LBC_Justin
05-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Bottom line, another wasted 3rd round pick. :twocents:
Wow! Another brilliant Casserly move down the toliet. We had so many other needs, and we drafted a QB that we waive after 3 yrs. Is it any wonder why we were 2-14 last year? Where is Casserly right now? I want to talk to that wascaly wabbitt. :hunter:
You guys are driving me crazy. Do you know what the odds are of a third round pick actually turning into a starter is. Not good.

Anything after the second round is a gamble at best. If you think Casserly has done a bad job in rounds 3 through 7 with our draft then you don't know jack**** about the NFL draft and you will NEVER be happy with any GM we ever hire. They can't all be starters they can't all make the team. If he was a 1st round pick i would be critical but he wasn't.

NFL Europe is where you send guys who at best you hope can make your team and add depth. period.

Malloy
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
As much as I like the Coaching changes around here, I'm kinda sad to see Ragone leave. I'll be sad too the day Morency leaves (which a couple of people aroung here have suggested as of late).

Anywho, Back on track.. team sport... go muumuu, Wave flag, give em' hell :)

Malloy
05-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Nick mentioned to me earlier this week that he wanted to start breaking news on the message board in addition to the front page since there's usually a quite a few people hanging out here all the time. I think that's a great idea.

I've been noticing news coming out here on the boards alot lately, I like it and yes, please let it continue! :)

Erratic Assassin
05-19-2006, 06:13 PM

Exactly. That ought to be a real eye-opener for "give Ragone a chance" crowd. NFL Europe doesn't mean squat. Ragone was pitiful, a total waste of a pick.

TexanBorn51
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Who's Dave Ragone?
As posted by Master Pro, NedBigB about a week ago and I awhile back here's Matt Baker sounds good to me. I believe I read somewhere that the Kube and coaches had been checking him out while his son Kline who plays for Colorado then played UNC while Matt was there.
Three sleepers for the NFL draft
by Ken Becks

Matt Baker

Position: QB
Number: 07
School: North Carolina
Height: 6'3
Weight: 210

-He is a player at the quarterback position that show serious upside toward the future.

-He has good size, with a nice sturdy build to him, he is an above average athlete with good mobility for the position, which allows him to extend passing plays for his receivers, that otherwise may not have been possible without his mobility.

-He shows nice poise, and composure in the pocket under pressure, who has a quick release and tight spiral, with good foot placement when throwing the ball, with a willingness to stand strong in the pocket, and take the hit to complete passes.

-With his mobility he becomes a dual threat to defenders as well, he may not run for significant yardage on scrambles, but he keeps defenses honest, and he throws well on the run, preferring to throw first, keeping his eyes down field for a possible completion.

-Another aspect of his game that has me high on him is competitive attitude, despite being on a team with a losing record, that shows me he has the internal passion for the game I look for.

-He needs to become a better decision maker with some of his throws, which have lead into unecessary interceptions, but with grooming and patience from the right pro team, his upside could be off the charts down the road.

http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/...epers-1897.asp

SnakeOilTanker
05-19-2006, 06:19 PM
3rd round picks are important, you dont use them on someone you hope never plays.

This is only really shocking and and upsetting if your a message board gm/coach that was in love with Ragone.

Ragone is slow and akward, not traits of a Kubiak QB

"That backup QB is always the most popular guy in town"

Exascor
05-19-2006, 06:23 PM
You guys are driving me crazy. Do you know what the odds are of a third round pick actually turning into a starter is. Not good.

Anything after the second round is a gamble at best. If you think Casserly has done a bad job in rounds 3 through 7 with our draft then you don't know jack**** about the NFL draft and you will NEVER be happy with any GM we ever hire. They can't all be starters they can't all make the team. If he was a 1st round pick i would be critical but he wasn't.

NFL Europe is where you send guys who at best you hope can make your team and add depth. period.Frankly...the entire draft is a gamble. I don't expect 2nd or 3rd round picks to be starters or even all make the team but as an expansion team, most of them should be quality depth. It's not like the Texans were full of talent. We really should have had at least one starter out of all our 3rd round picks given our roster. I don't blame Casserly, I blame the entire staff including Capers.
---------------------------------------------
2nd & 3rd Round Picks From 2002 - 2005
2a Gaffney - No Longer On Team
2b Pitts - Starter
3a Weary - Weak Depth
3b Hill - Never Made Roster

2 Joppru - Injured (Not a Bad Pick)
3a Peek - So Far Not Much Shown
3b Wand - Known Project Pick
3c Ragone - No Longer With Team

2b,3 Trade for Babin ate 2nd and 3rd Round Picks
2a Hollings - Drafted in 2003 Sup with a 2nd Round Pick and No Longer With Team

2,3a Trade for Buchanon ate 2nd and 3rd Round Picks
3b Morency - So Far Hasn't Produced Much
--------------------------------------------

Not an impressive list.

the wonger need food
05-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Another example of Capers' incompetence. The writing was on the wall when they signed Rosenfels. I'm surprised they kept him around for as long as they did.

tsip
05-19-2006, 06:44 PM
"...sure, Dave (fingers crossed), we'll give you a shot at the #2 spot...nottttttttttttttttttttttt, gotcha!"

edo783
05-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Ragone is slow and akward, not traits of a Kubiak QB"

Something along those lines is most likely what caused the change.

hollywood_texan
05-19-2006, 07:11 PM

NFL Europe is where you send guys who at best you hope can make your team and add depth. period.

Wow, wow, wow...

Probably as a league average 3rd rounders and later don't start or contribute, but I think the teams that are alway successful make those picks work better than we have.

I really need to research this, because I have feeling that New England, Denver, and Pittsburgh draft a lot better in rounds 3 through 7 than the rest of the league.

vtech9
05-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Something along those lines is most likely what caused the change.
I remember reading something last year about Ragone not being a very good practice player. I also seem to recall hearing something like that when he was over in Europe. The sad thing is that I heard that Sage WAS a pretty good practice player with the Dolphins, but just couldn't play up to the same level.

beerlover
05-19-2006, 08:13 PM
best to cut Dave free now and let both parties move forward, nothing useful in hanging on to a player with no future with that team. good luck Dave, hope you can catch on somewhere :thumbup

another point to be made is Kubiak does have some QB experience and he has his own idea about the type of player he wants to develop. Nobody is mentioning undrafted free agent Matt Baker QB North Carolina. maybe they caught some valueable footage of Mario chasing him around and liked what they saw so they brought him in for a tryout (North Carolina 31 ... NC State 24). then he impressed them with his pocket presence, throwing motion, accuracy, ability to scramble & throw on the run.

Matt Baker Position: QB School: North Carolina Height: 6'3 Weight: 210

-He is a player at the quarterback position that show serious upside toward the future.

-He has good size, with a nice sturdy build to him, he is an above average athlete with good mobility for the position, which allows him to extend passing plays for his receivers, that otherwise may not have been possible without his mobility.

-He shows nice poise, and composure in the pocket under pressure, who has a quick release and tight spiral, with good foot placement when throwing the ball, with a willingness to stand strong in the pocket, and take the hit to complete passes.

-With his mobility he becomes a dual threat to defenders as well, he may not run for significant yardage on scrambles, but he keeps defenses honest, and he throws well on the run, preferring to throw first, keeping his eyes down field for a possible completion.

-Another aspect of his game that has me high on him is competitive attitude, despite being on a team with a losing record, that shows me he has the internal passion for the game I look for.

-He needs to become a better decision maker with some of his throws, which have lead into unecessary interceptions, but with grooming and patience from the right pro team, his upside could be off the charts down the road.

http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/Three_sleepers-1897.asp

tsip
05-19-2006, 08:19 PM
"You guys are driving me crazy. Do you know what the odds are of a third round pick actually turning into a starter is. Not good."

This is a pretty 'bold' statement. Do you have anything to back it up? I seriously doubt that the NFL would be much to watch with just 2 rounds in a draft. If you're one of those people that believe in building a team through the draft and -based on your premise- you can only get 'quality' players in the first 2 rounds, your first draft picks will be 'retired' before you assemble a team. There are close to 2000 players in the NFL each year and the teams avg about 64 picks in the first 2 rounds. A team needs good picks in later rounds! You're saying that most of the 22 plus starters on a team are drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds--how is that mathmatically possible?

Texans_Chick
05-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Good luck Dave. Hope this early cut means he can catch on somewhere else, given his NFL Europe stuff.

Personally, I don't care for backups being left handed QBs. Your offenses are all timing, and you want someone to step in that is not too different from your starter.

Dave is one of those ambidextrous types--throws left handed, golfs right handed.

Competition is great for the team but it is going to be hard seeing some of the guys cut. I know some folks don't get too attached to any particular players and are all about the game, but for me, it is more fun to watch the game when you know more about the guys who play.

Kaiser Toro
05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
I have been giving Cass a lot of love on his way out, but this in my opinion was one of his biggest bone head moves.

Best of luck to Ragone, I wish we would have never known ya.

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I like Dave a lot. But a lot of you are acting like we're screwed because we lost our 3rd string QB. Hopefully it won't come down to us needing to use our 3rd stringer. Matt Baker and Quinton Porter will be fine and if we really feel we are at such a loss with Ragone we can sign a veteran QB in free agency still. And with everything Kubes has down so far, I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case.

tsip
05-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I like Dave a lot. But a lot of you are acting like we're screwed because we lost our 3rd string QB. Hopefully it won't come down to us needing to use our 3rd stringer. Matt Baker and Quinton Porter will be fine and if we really feel we are at such a loss with Ragone we can sign a veteran QB in free agency still. And with everything Kubes has down so far, I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case.

I think more people projected Ragone in the 2nd spot and are more concerned about Sage as a QB. Of course, the premise of our offense will depend upon sound effective QB play. With all we've added to the offense with new players and coaches, we should expect great results from our QBs this season.

bingbing
05-19-2006, 09:20 PM
As posted by Master Pro, NedBigB about a week ago and I awhile back here's Matt Baker sounds good to me. I believe I read somewhere that the Kube and coaches had been checking him out while his son Kline who plays for Colorado then played UNC while Matt was there.
Three sleepers for the NFL draft
by Ken Becks

Matt Baker

Position: QB
Number: 07
School: North Carolina
Height: 6'3
Weight: 210

Yeah...Matt Baker is the Answer. His 2 fumbles and 1 interception 4 sacks against LOUISVILLE were impressive when he led them to a 69-14 loss. He is a STUD!!!!

tsip
05-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah...Matt Baker is the Answer. His 2 fumbles and 1 interception 4 sacks against LOUISVILLE were impressive when he led them to a 69-14 loss. He is a STUD!!!!

...sorry, but I didn't post the Baker comments

bingbing
05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I screwed up with the quoting and copying and pasting. Sorry.

Hulk75
05-19-2006, 09:38 PM
This really sucks. I liked Rags.

rafterticket
05-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I am really sorry to see him go, but I thought all along he was never really given a chance or consideration to be more than third stringer. He always did look awkward over center, but maybe some real coaching those first few years and he could have improved on that. I was hoping he would get a real shot at #2 this year, but when they signed Rosenfels, it wasn't going to happen.

I realize this is just a continuing slam on the previous regime, but it never seemed they really cared about too many guys beyond the starters. Anyway, I hope Ragone gets a chance with someone else to prove himself. Third string is not what he probably wanted at this point, so I hope it's for the best.

ent
All this talk about 3rd string QB's suck should remember some of the great quarterbacks in NFL history taken in late rounds.

For starters, Tom Brady - he hasn't done anything in the NFL has he.

Or how about Joe Montana - 3rd round

Or how about Bart Starr - Green Bay QB God along time before Favre rolled around - back when real quarterbacks played hurt and with one roll bar on the front. 17th round!!!!

GP
Could this mean that Kubiak is targeting another QB due to be cut by June 1?

Can't see us cutting Ragone unless we've got another guy targeted.

Texansbacker
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Ragone was a wasted pick but so are many gambles in the draft. Sometimes you hit paydirt, such as the pick with Henson. The main problem I had with the Ragone selection was the timing. At the time, we could have picked up a decent o-lineman or perhaps another position in which we had not already used a number one pick (in year one).

Casserly must have really thought he was too good to pass up that late in the draft (he was once projected as a first rounder) and consequently he thought he would blossom into a solid backup or valuable trade bait.

You can't necessary blame a guy for trying, but when you have multiple roster spots to fill and you have already spent a valuable number one draft pick on a QB, you can hold him responsible and ultimately Bob McNair did.

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Could this mean that Kubiak is targeting another QB due to be cut by June 1?

Can't see us cutting Ragone unless we've got another guy targeted.

The only free agent that looks any good right now is Kerry Collins, and I don't see us signing him considering we invested a lot of money in Sage.

WiiBrawler
05-19-2006, 10:12 PM
go out there and get Josh McCown if he is available at a good price , he showed he can have success in Arizona when Kurt Warner was out,

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 10:22 PM
go out there and get Josh McCown if he is available at a good price , he showed he can have success in Arizona when Kurt Warner was out,

I like him a lot too, but he signed with Detriot because they got rid of Harrington :fireball:

TexanBorn51
05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
That's true but he only played backup2-5 games his junior year and then Durant QB got hurt he went in as a starter his senior year. UNC played 10 top25 college teams that year. They started slow that game was in October but his end result was - BAKER: QB Matt Baker leads the ACC in both passing yards and total offense. Through two games, the senior signal-caller is averaging 286.0 total yards per game, 21 yards more than NC State QB Jay Davis, who is second with 265.0 yards per game.
Baker leads the league with 280.5 yards passing per game. He threw for 280 yards against Georgia Tech and 281 yards against Wisconsin. In two games, Baker has nearly thrown as many passes (76) as he did in the previous three seasons at Carolina (80). He won MVP with UNC. You say that's one bad stat one bad game you say but this is the rest of the story. Of course we're not talking #1 QB or top draft selection here but he hardly had time to play in his college football. Here in Houston and Kube he may have a chance to show some potential.

mexican_texan
05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
:( :( :crying: :crying:

G'bye Dave, I hardly knew ye...

I liked Ragone more than I like Carr. I'm disapointed, but hopefully we will now bring in an experienced QB. Kerry Collins, Jay Fiedler, or anyone who has ever had success in the NFL. Tony Banks was NOT a good example for the Davids.

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 11:13 PM

I liked Ragone more than I like Carr. I'm disapointed, but hopefully we will now bring in an experienced QB. Kerry Collins, Jay Fiedler, or anyone who has ever had success in the NFL. Tony Banks was NOT a good example for the Davids.

Jay Fiedler has got hurt all of last season. There's no way I want to see him on our team. Kerry Collins sounds good, but I think he will probably retire rather than being a back-up QB for us.

MorKnolle
05-20-2006, 12:56 AM

They aren't going to bring in another QB, they have Carr as their #1, Rosenfels as their #2 and Baker or Porter as their #3 (my money is on Porter right now, if I was to bet on something like that).

Vinny
05-20-2006, 01:19 AM
They aren't going to bring in another QB, they have Carr as their #1, Rosenfels as their #2 and Baker or Porter as their #3 (my money is on Porter right now, if I was to bet on something like that).
nice call yesterday...

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=351719&postcount=49

JAXwithanX
05-20-2006, 01:50 AM

lol. exactly what i was going to say.

damn not to mention we just passed on the sort of player who probably could have filled in as our new #2 QB on the chart. hell....give him a good enough chance and he maybe could have filled in the #1 spots at QB and RB AT THE SAME TIME. and no....he didn't go 3 overall. higher.

mancunian
05-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Just the ones he drafted or acquired in FA since he got here a few months ago.

I dont even think the guys that came in FA are safe if they dont perform. We signed Moreno and Tupe Peko are they are already gone. (Ok they are not big name guys but we picked them in FA and they are out the door already)

mancunian
05-20-2006, 03:47 AM

Collins wants to start and wants starter type cash. I'm note sure if he's the type of "character" that Kubiak likes.

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 07:08 AM

The back up is the best QB on the field did you not know that.

Bobo
05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't know it myself, but I always thought Dave never did get a good opportunity to prove his metal with the Texans. :twocents:

This is exactly correct. The guy had a great year in NFL Europe and he gets cut without even getting into a game. Why Sage Rosenfeldt is seen as so much better than Ragone is beyond me. I would sure have more confidence in Ragone as the QB if Carr was hurt than Sage Rosenfeldt.

GP
05-20-2006, 08:03 AM
The back up is the best QB on the field did you not know that.

What do you mean? Not sure what you're saying. Explain....

beerlover
05-20-2006, 08:12 AM

your probably right (once again :)) but over the season Baker should gain on him (will get the call most likely for NFL Europe) and in two- three years will be a capable starting QB if needed. Porter is a practice-squad player who could turn into a dependable third quarterback for the Texans.

Jwwillis
05-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I dont think Ragone was a bad pick. He obviously has talent and someone will pick him up. The FO didnt know when Ragone was drafted that Carr would be so durable or that Banks would be happy as a backup. I'll bet the brass thought Banks would be gone soon. Turns out nobody wanted Banks when he was a FA. I hope Carr continues to stay healthy.

aj.
05-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Not that we're going to mimic everything the Broncos did (but so far the pattern is holding true), -- last year Denver only carried 2 QBs on their 53 the entire year. Our roster on Sept 10 could very well be Carr and Rosenfels @ QB and that's it.

Porter and Baker are very much developmental guys and there are reasons why neither was drafted. However, both have the mobility attributes that Kubiak likes - which is one of the reasons Ragone is no longer here - and having at least one of the two around will give Kubiak a young QB to develop on the p.s.

The Texans have typically carried 3 on their 53 in the past with Carr and Banks usually active and Ragone inactive on game days.

texan279
05-20-2006, 08:37 AM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Q. Porter takes over No. 3 QB role
Sat, 20 May 2006 06:15:47 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports with the released of QB Dave Ragone, rookie QB Quinton Porter takes over as the No. 3 quarterback for the Houston Texans. Porter, 6-4, 233 pounds, is an undrafted rookie. He was unable to get into a rhythm at Boston College because of injuries.

aj.
05-20-2006, 08:52 AM
... again, don't lose sight of the fact that Denver didn't have a "#3 QB" last year. Although it's common and a good idea to have at least 4 QBs in camp in preseason to reduce the risk of injury to your top guys.

Denver had Matt Mauck and Danny Kanell in camp and preseason last year working behind Plummer and Van Pelt. They also had an undrafted rookie FA by the name of Chad Friehauf and later signed Kliff Kingsbury to their p.s. for a few weeks at the start of the season.

But when the season started (and for the following 16 weeks) they ran strictly with Plummer and Van Pelt - which is pretty much analogous to Carr and Rosenfels when you think about it. If the Texans can keep Carr healthy, there won't be a reason to carry 3 on the 53.

Porter and Baker's best shot this year is p.s., unless one really really surprises this summer and in early preseason. The downside of one performing well is there's always the risk of losing him during waivers or having him claimed off the p.s. Everyone is always looking for young QBs to develop.

Conversely, the downside of keeping a young developmental QB on your 53 is that it takes up a valuable roster spot forcing you to carry one less at a different position for a guy who probably won't see little if any action, especially if #1 and #2 stay healthy.

kingh99
05-20-2006, 08:58 AM
This may be a blessing in disguise. Now he can concentrate on his spaghetti sauce business.

Vaya con carne mi amigo~!

cuppacoffee
05-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I dont think Ragone was a bad pick. He obviously has talent and someone will pick him up. The FO didnt know when Ragone was drafted that Carr would be so durable or that Banks would be happy as a backup. I'll bet the brass thought Banks would be gone soon. Turns out nobody wanted Banks when he was a FA. I hope Carr continues to stay healthy.

If not St Louis......

Raiders needs help.

:coffee:

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 10:35 AM
If not St Louis......

Raiders needs help.

:coffee:

He can probably start there :redtowel:

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Rags will be a Ram, his old coach wants him there.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Rags will be a Ram, his old coach wants him there.

And they need a QB considering they were looking at drafting Jay Cutler...

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 11:25 AM
And they need a QB considering they were looking at drafting Jay Cutler...
Your Right.......

MorKnolle
05-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Not that we're going to mimic everything the Broncos did (but so far the pattern is holding true), -- last year Denver only carried 2 QBs on their 53 the entire year. Our roster on Sept 10 could very well be Carr and Rosenfels @ QB and that's it.

Porter and Baker are very much developmental guys and there are reasons why neither was drafted. However, both have the mobility attributes that Kubiak likes - which is one of the reasons Ragone is no longer here - and having at least one of the two around will give Kubiak a young QB to develop on the p.s.

The Texans have typically carried 3 on their 53 in the past with Carr and Banks usually active and Ragone inactive on game days.

I agree, I think Carr and Rosenfels will probably be the only QBs on the active roster at the start of the regular season, but I think they'll keep either Porter or maybe Baker around on practice squad.

Brandon420tx
05-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I agree, I think Carr and Rosenfels will probably be the only QBs on the active roster at the start of the regular season, but I think they'll keep either Porter or maybe Baker around on practice squad.
Worst case scenario, they both get injures .... NOOOOOOO ....

and Robaire Smith gets angry takes snaps from shotgun and makes the defenses pay.... He played a little FB for us afterall :hunter:

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Worst case scenario, they both get injures .... NOOOOOOO ....

and Robaire Smith gets angry takes snaps from shotgun and makes the defenses pay.... He played a little FB for us afterall :hunter:

After hearing about practice so far, the worst case scenario is just David Carr getting hurt...

Ibar_Harry
05-20-2006, 11:57 AM
After hearing about practice so far, the worst case scenario is just David Carr getting hurt...

I wonder if Kubiak is considering himself a backup if anything happens. He's been running gasers to get in shape.

LBC_Justin
05-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Frankly...the entire draft is a gamble. I don't expect 2nd or 3rd round picks to be starters or even all make the team but as an expansion team, most of them should be quality depth. It's not like the Texans were full of talent. We really should have had at least one starter out of all our 3rd round picks given our roster. I don't blame Casserly, I blame the entire staff including Capers.
---------------------------------------------
2nd & 3rd Round Picks From 2002 - 2005
2a Gaffney - No Longer On Team
2b Pitts - Starter
3a Weary - Weak Depth
3b Hill - Never Made Roster

2 Joppru - Injured (Not a Bad Pick)
3a Peek - So Far Not Much Shown
3b Wand - Known Project Pick
3c Ragone - No Longer With Team

2b,3 Trade for Babin ate 2nd and 3rd Round Picks
2a Hollings - Drafted in 2003 Sup with a 2nd Round Pick and No Longer With Team

2,3a Trade for Buchanon ate 2nd and 3rd Round Picks
3b Morency - So Far Hasn't Produced Much
--------------------------------------------

Not an impressive list.

My point is people need to get off the back of Casserly. I have no problem with people being critical but they are being OVERLY critical. He has found the Texans several "gems" in the later rounds. Mathis(4th), D. Davis(4th) and Henson(6th) were OUTSTANDING picks just to name a few.

Compared to most of the other NFL teams we have done a decent job in the Draft especially in the first round and rounds four through six. Bottom line is there is A TON of things people could criticize Casserly on but the draft is not the place to go. Plus, we are then making the assumption that those were casserly's picks and not Capers. I would bet anything that Babin and Peek were Capers guys.

BTW...
Morency has similar stats to D. Davis. So if he Morency isn't productive than neither is D. Davis.

Gaffney was a free agent and left on his own. (Wasn't worth keeping anyways, the best we could have hoped for is that he would have become an average #2 receiver.)

Peek and Babin picks were known gambles even at the time because they were tweeners that would be changing positions and if you want to get one of those tweener types you have to gamble or the guy won't be there. I don't consider either a bust yet. Babin came on real strong in the last few games last season. This year will be very telling about these two.

P-Buc - This guy is not a great player but he is not a horrible player either. He has yet to play behind a decent D-line. Once the pass rush gets going I think people's attitude on him will change in a hurry.

vtech9
05-20-2006, 12:22 PM
In all honesty, this move worries me more than just about all of the Texans moves in the past. I liked Ragone, and don't think he got a fair chance the last 3 years. Now the reason for my worry is this.... My brother has been a Dolphin fan since he was a kid (I have turned him into a Texan fan, but he still follows the Dolphins), and when we go to watch the Texans games, he has to have the Dolphins game on so he can watch it too. I would try not to watch any of the Dolphins game, but it was inevitable to see a little.

I didn't like Banks, but I knew that he was at least capable if needed. When the Texans cut Banks I wasn't worried, because I had faith that Ragone was capable if Carr went down. Now Ragone is gone.

My point of all this is that even though I tried not to pay attention to the Dolphins games, I still saw Sage play. Let me just say that I wasn't impressed...At all. I am very worried that Carr might get hurt and we have to depend on Sage. I don't know how else to say it. This scares me.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Morency has similar stats to D. Davis. So if he Morency isn't productive than neither is D. Davis.

I agree with everything you've said...except this.

How can you say that Morency has similar stats than DD. Look at each's stats:

DD
230 Carries, 972 Yards, 2 TDs, 4.2 YPC
39 Catches, 337 Yards, 4 TDs, 8.6 YPC

Morency
46 Carries, 184 Yards, 2 TDs, 4.0 YPC
10 Catches, 87 Yards, 0 TDs, 8.7 YPC

Sure, the averages look good. But the only reason you can even compare them is because Morency played against the 49ers and DD was not healthy for every game. DD probably could have atleast rushed for 150 yards against the 49ers if he started. And you can't say he is as good because he didn't get to start because he didn't start for a reason and that's because DD is better.

the wonger need food
05-20-2006, 12:54 PM
With Jabar gone, I guess that makes Lord the super emergency QB.

shonuff
05-20-2006, 01:21 PM
you'd think they could have traded Ragone to another team for a draft pick...

was he the "offered player" for Michael Bennett?? hmmm...

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 01:24 PM
you'd think they could have traded Ragone to another team for a draft pick...

was he the "offered player" for Michael Bennett?? hmmm...

He could have been considering the Vikes could use a QB, but if he was the "offered player" I don't think we would have released him.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2006, 02:44 PM
In all honesty, this move worries me more than just about all of the Texans moves in the past. I liked Ragone, and don't think he got a fair chance the last 3 years. Now the reason for my worry is this.... My brother has been a Dolphin fan since he was a kid (I have turned him into a Texan fan, but he still follows the Dolphins), and when we go to watch the Texans games, he has to have the Dolphins game on so he can watch it too. I would try not to watch any of the Dolphins game, but it was inevitable to see a little.

I didn't like Banks, but I knew that he was at least capable if needed. When the Texans cut Banks I wasn't worried, because I had faith that Ragone was capable if Carr went down. Now Ragone is gone.

My point of all this is that even though I tried not to pay attention to the Dolphins games, I still saw Sage play. Let me just say that I wasn't impressed...At all. I am very worried that Carr might get hurt and we have to depend on Sage. I don't know how else to say it. This scares me.

Welcome to my cone of silence. Kubiak has done a great job in my opinion with the off season and he exceeded my expectations exponentially. Kubiak's greatest value is on the field in my opinion and he likes Carr and Sage. I cannot tell you how much I hate those moves, but he is the coach and I cannot disagree with his experienced evaluation, that is until around the mid season.

Ibar_Harry
05-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Welcome to my cone of silence. Kubiak has done a great job in my opinion with the off season and he exceeded my expectations exponentially. Kubiak's greatest value is on the field in my opinion and he likes Carr and Sage. I cannot tell you how much I hate those moves, but he is the coach and I cannot disagree with his experienced evaluation, that is until around the mid season.

Kubiak really likes Carr. I think everyone has under estimated Carr, because Carr was doing exactly what the previous coaching staff wanted him to do. Hard to believe, but I honestly believe that is the case. There will be a night and day diffrence between Carr from the past and Carr in the future. You are right in saying though we will know early on whether that is the case or not.

Don't under estimate either how bad our receiver cores were either. Putting two #1 receivers out their will make a big difference. We should stop the other team more and get a few more possessions and that will make a difference in addition to everything else we are doing.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Its going to be a long one...........

GP
05-20-2006, 03:00 PM

How many Steeler fans were as worried when they picked up Tommy Maddox? That was a strange move. And not that Maddox delivered them to a Super Bowl, but he did awfully well for a time.

I think it's possible that any number of sleeper QBs are out there just ready to thrive in the perfect environment. Tom Brady might not have done so well if he had been on any of the other NFL teams rather than on the Pats....who would Brady be if he didn't get into that perfect fit for him?

I think that's why the NFL is such a force right now with fans and with revenue that its generating. We love to see the Kurt Warners and the Jake Delhommes of the world come out and shock us.

Maybe Sage is one of those guys. I agree he's not been overwhelming as-to-date, but "what if?"

I like to take a glass-is-half-full approach. Problem with my philosophy, under the Capers regime, was that he kept guys like Bradford out there for a lot longer than he should have. With Kubiak, I sense that players have a very short window to show they belong. Thus, it's easier to trust that you can be positive about a move such as cutting Ragone when you think that Kubiak's more willing to pull the trigger on Sage than Capers would have been.

Nobody's job is safe at Reliant anymore, and that's GOOD for the fans. It translates well into a team willing to pull its load for its own benefit, and not just giving the minimum amount of effort and "Yes sirs" to stick around.

How many of our players, who are now cut, were only here (under Capers) because they knew how to play the system? I would bet the answer is "quite a few."

GP
05-20-2006, 03:07 PM

:crutch:

Don't come limping back to the Carr camp. You just took a big step backward off your anti-Carr stance, and I hope it doesn't become a backpedal. (just kidding!).

Carr's biggest mistake is that he was a company man, and that he followed the leader and did what the coach told him.

His biggest achievement was that he was , and is, a company man. That kind of attitude makes you a winner even if you lose. When the chips were down, Carr tried to be a stand-up guy about it all. He began to lose it, but he recovered pretty well. I was right there in the mix of the anti-Carr posts on this board at the beginning of the 2005 season, and the guy grew on me as time went by. Especially when we knew we'd get Kubiak as our coach.

Go Texans!

OzzO
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Noted the "why" and "why now" in today's chronic (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3876431.html)

...."Dave's (Ragone) a great kid, and he will play in this league," coach Gary Kubiak said. "However, he's a big, strong thrower in the pocket. And we like to move our guys around.

"So it's a matter of him going to a team where he is a better fit. In fairness to him, we wanted to let him go now so that he had time to find a team where he can succeed."...

Revolution
05-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Don't come limping back to the Carr camp. You just took a big step backward off your anti-Carr stance, and I hope it doesn't become a backpedal.

Trust me, it will be a full speed sprint when Carr shows what he can do with a good coaching staff and another weapon besides AJ.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2006, 10:36 PM
:crutch:

Don't come limping back to the Carr camp. You just took a big step backward off your anti-Carr stance, and I hope it doesn't become a backpedal. (just kidding!).

Carr's biggest mistake is that he was a company man, and that he followed the leader and did what the coach told him.

His biggest achievement was that he was , and is, a company man. That kind of attitude makes you a winner even if you lose. When the chips were down, Carr tried to be a stand-up guy about it all. He began to lose it, but he recovered pretty well. I was right there in the mix of the anti-Carr posts on this board at the beginning of the 2005 season, and the guy grew on me as time went by. Especially when we knew we'd get Kubiak as our coach.

Go Texans!

I have no reason to come back to the Carr camp. As a fan I just need Carr to add some value to the offense per his hit on the cap. Pre season matters, especially this one.

Company man? Rarely applicable in the industry of professional sports. Of course he would love that type of job security. All I am asking is for him to provide some value.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Trust me, it will be a full speed sprint when Carr shows what he can do with a good coaching staff and another weapon besides AJ.

And you think that because of the great performance to date?

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
And you think that because of the great performance to date?
We understand he sucks and has not lived up to his money, we get it.

Come on man dont just throw everything out the window that he and the ENTIRE TEAM has had to go through. Thoose last couple years have been trails and tribulations, EVERY guy that has been on this team for the last couple years are smarter and better at what they do.

Call it RE-GRESSING or what ever that word is, but this teams performance has suffered by what they have been taught, this game has more to do with the scheme then anything else.
Like Walsh(i think) said I can take my team and beat you with them, then I can take your team and beat you with them.

Players responsible, sure but not as much as you think. I am a coach and know it from there and I have been on both sides of the gate, a player with bad coaching and a player with great coaching it makes A HUUUUGE difference, I learned more from my coach that knew everything about my possition then the coach I had before for 3 years. The good coach got me a scholarship.

Excusses NO these are Facts.

TwinSisters
05-20-2006, 11:48 PM
As the old philosopher O.A. "Bum" Phillips said about Don Shula, "He can take his'n and beat your'n, Then he can take your'n and beat his'n."

The Bum... although that most likely means the saying was floating around much longer.

Hulk75
05-20-2006, 11:51 PM
The Bum... although that most likely means the saying was floating around much longer.
Shula thanks could not remeber who it was, thanks.

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Isnt steve mcnair soon to be available? I do remember he wants to be either released from the titans or traded. I could be wrong on this but you never know?

:spy: :)

I think the Ravens would try way harder to get him and McNair would rather sign there with the oppurtunity to start, but there was a report a few weeks ago that we are interested in maybe trading (highly doubtful now) for McNair.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
05-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Why did Kubiak release Ragone on 4/27/06 they renewed he 1 year extension now release him.........MVP from Berlin Thunder last year and NFL europe, if Carr gets hurts stand by we are screwed with two rookie QB's and Sage which is complete garbage..........please someone explain this loss of a good QB, Kubiak might need a drug test before the season starts......:spy:

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Why did Kubiak release Ragone on 4/27/06 they renewed he 1 year extension now release him.........MVP from Berlin Thunder last year and NFL europe, if Carr gets hurts stand by we are screwed with two rookie QB's and Sage which is complete garbage..........please someone explain this loss of a good QB, Kubiak might need a drug test before the season starts......:spy:
Carr's a tough SOB and we need the roster spot.

aj.
05-21-2006, 02:35 AM

The Texans tendered Ragone around March 10 which is before Kubiak and his coaches had a chance to evaluate him on the practice field. It was a business step they had to take otherwise he could have become a free agent then. Ragone accepted and signed the tender on April 27. The RFA tender was a business step they had to take because Kubiak and his staff wouldn't be able to fully evaluate Ragone until weeks later (now) when they could watch him in practice (as opposed to letting him walk in March).

And now after a week of on-field activity:
"Dave's a great kid, and he will play in this league," coach Gary Kubiak said. "However, he's a big, strong thrower in the pocket. And we like to move our guys around.

"So it's a matter of him going to a team where he is a better fit.
-- Kubiak on Ragone

MVP in NFLE has gone to a number of obscure players over the years so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that.

Lucky
05-21-2006, 08:35 AM
...McNair would rather sign there with the oppurtunity to start, but there was a report a few weeks ago that we are interested in maybe trading (highly doubtful now) for McNair.
"We" meaning the Texans? Do you have a link for this?

HoustonFan
05-21-2006, 08:45 AM
I always thought Ragone would be a good #2 as well. I hope he gets picked up and has a great career - except for when they play us. :D

Rosusu
05-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Random thought... Don't we still have BJ on our roster? I know Tech fans would go crazy telling us how great he is. I think he is good, just wondering if anyone knows his status.

BigDTexansFan
05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Random thought... Don't we still have BJ on our roster? I know Tech fans would go crazy telling us how great he is. I think he is good, just wondering if anyone knows his status.

Symons was released before last season I think. I think he is playing NFLE right now

Wolf
05-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I have no reason to come back to the Carr camp. As a fan I just need Carr to add some value to the offense per his hit on the cap. Pre season matters, especially this one.

Company man? Rarely applicable in the industry of professional sports. Of course he would love that type of job security. All I am asking is for him to provide some value.

so you think our offensive gameplan and our personel that we had on offense was good enough?

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 11:04 AM
"We" meaning the Texans? Do you have a link for this?

Ya I do. It was on KFFL a few weeks ago but I can't find it now since it only shows you the last two reports on each player.

Here's the thread on it: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=23039&highlight=steve+mcnair

tsip
05-21-2006, 12:08 PM

BJ is on the Chicago Bears roster. Kingsbury is still in the NFL, and I think (not sure) Hodges signed with the Pats. Matt Nordgren-Vince Young's back up-signed a FA contract with the Eagles.

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 12:16 PM
He was horrible in his last outing as a Texan. Dave Ragone came in and saved the day! We probably still lost though...:superman:

Kaiser Toro
05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
so you think our offensive gameplan and our personel that we had on offense was good enough?

No I did not, that has been my point since day one. 7-8 million dollars to spend on any QB is to much for Super Bowl success.

Bobo
05-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I always thought Ragone would be a good #2 as well. I hope he gets picked up and has a great career - except for when they play us. :D

"Us?"

El Tejano
05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I can't say I didn't like Ragone because I hardly saw him play.

I do believe that Casserly always drafted around here like we were an established team. This was an example of that.

Ibar_Harry
05-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I can't say I didn't like Ragone because I hardly saw him play.

I do believe that Casserly always drafted around here like we were an established team. This was an example of that.

When Ragone was drafted we were to be primarily a pocket passing team. Kubiak's style involves the QB running. In fact Kubiak said they released Ragone because he really didn't fit our scheme, not that he was a bad player.

goingdeep
05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Shouldn't we aquire a veteran qb for back up, just in case of injuries hopefully we will, other than that this team is shaping up nicely.

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Shouldn't we aquire a veteran qb for back up, just in case of injuries hopefully we will, other than that this team is shaping up nicely.

I would like that, to get someone like Kerry Collins or maybe even McNair after he gets cut (highly, highly unlikely), but I do like Collins and he could be an above average backup QB for us.

mexican_texan
05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
No I did not, that has been my point since day one. 7-8 million dollars to spend on any QB is to much for Super Bowl success.
Didn't Tom Brady get his $10 mill contract after the 2005 Superbowl?

full O' bull
05-22-2006, 05:46 PM
We should have taken a stab at Marcus vick for our third string QB. We all have had a bad day or 2.

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
I think we're better off not taking a risk by having Porter as our backup and not Vick. We don't need a bad character on our team.

kcwilson
05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
We should have taken a stab at Marcus vick for our third string QB. We all have had a bad day or 2.

I think you had a typo... please replace the word "day" with the word "year". Thanks.

Dude doesn't have two strikes, he has the golden sombrero already. He is the kind of player you hope someone in your division signs and has to deal with. If cancer spreads, makes your chances of winning against them better.