PDA

View Full Version : Matt Murphy being converted to a lineman (left tackle)?

Texans34Life
05-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Texans | M. Murphy taking reps at left tackle
Tue, 16 May 2006 23:11:55 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans TE Matt Murphy is taking reps at left tackle during the team's organized team activities. Mike Sherman, assistant head coach/offense, said Murphy could be better suited as a lineman than a tight end. The Denver Broncos had success converting tight ends to linemen during Texans' head coach Gary Kubiak's time there, and Murphy will be given an opportunity to make the transition.

kcwilson
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
A few weeks ago, right after the draft, the roster on the website showed him as number 79, instead of the 81 he had last year. At first, I just thought he was on the outs but apparently this was something long thought out.

If he can bulk up, this might be the kind of move that builds a 'Bronco' style lineman who is agile.

Definitely a long term project, but interesting to see the talent evaluation from off season taking shape.

OzzO
05-17-2006, 12:19 PM
....When the Texans came together for their first of several organized team activities (OTAs) at Reliant Park on Tuesday, Wand took all of the repetitions at left tackle with the first team.

"If we went out and were trying to mold a left tackle in the draft, what we're looking for is a young man with that type of size and length that can run," coach Gary Kubiak said. "He (Wand) would be a guy we would chisel out.

"Whatever happened last year, why he didn't play, I'm not concerned with that. I'm concerned with what he does now. We see a guy with a lot of ability, that has to get better and we've got to build him up and build the people around him."

Also working at left tackle was former tight end Matt Murphy. Mike Sherman, assistant head coach/offense, said Murphy could be better suited as a lineman than a tight end. The Denver Broncos had success converting tight ends to linemen during Kubiak's time there, and Murphy will be given an opportunity to make the transition.....

...Only Zach Wiegert, who started seven games at right tackle, is back at the same offensive line position he ended at last season. Steve McKinney is at right guard, Chester Pitts is at left guard and free agent Mike Flanagan is at center.

Left tackle will have the greatest competition with Wand being pushed by rookies Charles Spencer, Eric Winston and free agent Ephraim Salaam. The coaches are working on Wand's technique but also want to strengthen his mental approach.

chronic 5/17/06 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3868790.html)

Still up for grabs it seems.

edit - didn't see the Seth Wand discussion (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=23289) at LT on another thread. Seems same info posted / quoted. Good to know there's some competition going at that postion though.

BigBull17
05-17-2006, 12:27 PM
What is his height and weight? Just because its cool...:whip:

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 12:38 PM
]']Gonna take time, Murphy is not even close to the size of a LT. He is one tall dude though. He has speed to be good in kubes system. Project atleast to keep him. were loaded at TE now. Juppru seems to be doing okay.
I dont know he is bigger then you think, I had a chance to meet him a couple of days ago, he is a big guy, A PERFECT Bronco Lineman. He will put more pounds on.

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I just wonder how many lineman we'll keep on the roster.

Right now we have 2 centers, 6 guards, and 8 tackles (going by what we think is going on, not the listed position on the roster (for instance counting McKinney a guard not a center).

If we keep 10, in no particular order would it be:

Flanagan, Hodgdon

Weary, Pitts, McKinney (also center depth)

Weigert (also guard depth), Wand, Spencer, Winston, Saalam

and cutting

Loverne, Briesiel, Chaisson

Wade, Bedell, Murphy?

I admit I don't know much about all of these players, but it looks like we're finally deep enough to have the luxury to be forced to cut some decent talent.

Brandon420tx
05-17-2006, 04:33 PM
chronic 5/17/06 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3868790.html)

Still up for grabs it seems.

edit - didn't see the Seth Wand discussion (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=23289) at LT on another thread. Seems same info posted / quoted. Good to know there's some competition going at that postion though.

I think could Murphy being the back-up LT

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Murphy already had a slim shot of making the team w/ all Daniels and Putz coming aboard. Why not try to make the team as an olineman. I still think he's not going to make it.

WILLIEG
05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Culling Time Baby1

ImSoTexas
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Remember it was Kub that move Matt Lepsis from TE to OT also.

jacquescas
05-17-2006, 10:49 PM
I think they will find a spot for Murphy

beerlover
05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
I guess I don't mind all this experimentation this early in the year just to test guys out and see what they can do. I would expect them to get more serious when they have to start making roster cuts. Runner brings up some good sceneros, Wade is probably a June 1st roster cut, except I'm not sure if you can cut him while still injured? otherwise there is just too much talent on this team to keep projects, Kubiak will have to get after it soon, focus on who his core players are gonna be and get them working together on a consistant basis implementing his new system. :whip:

keyfro
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
the interesting thing about this is that murphy already weighs in at 260lbs to get to the denver's ideal weight he'd only have to gain about 25lbs...something that isn't completely unheard of...i'm glad to see that this coaching staff is giving wand another look...thought he got a raw deal last season...can't wait til training camp gets here

Runner
05-18-2006, 08:35 AM
...Wade is probably a June 1st roster cut, except I'm not sure if you can cut him while still injured? ...

If a team cuts an injured player they have to negotiate a settlement in addition to any guaranteed money on the player's contract. I'm not sure how they determine "ready to play" or what a settlement amount might be.