PDA

View Full Version : Williams first practice, "good job"

gtexan02
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Williams does 'good job' in first practice
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to a meeting, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the practice field.

It may have been the only moment all morning the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, going through about two hours of drills. It's a good sign considering the Texans will look for Williams to start immediately as they switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 scheme.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those helping out.

"They're taking me under their wings and just pushing me to get better," Williams said. "They're already big brothers to me. I feel very comfortable."

Tuesday was also Gary Kubiak's first practice as Texans coach. He has replaced Dom Capers, who was fired after Houston's 2-14 season.

"It's easy to sit in that meeting room and talk about, 'We're going to run the ball. We're going to do this or that,'" Kubiak said. "But you've got to start to do that on the field and have them start to believe in what you're doing."

The Texans chose Williams over Southern California running back Reggie Bush, looking to inject some life into a defense that was ranked 31st overall last season. He could finally give Houston a disruptive pass rusher.

"It's a new experience and I've got a lot to learn," Williams said. "It's a little quicker, but it's not like it's overwhelming or anything like that."

Kubiak was impressed.

"He stopped a lot of our plays," the coach said. "He did a good job. To hop in there day one with the starters and go -- that's a lot to ask. It looks like he did a fine job to me."

The Texans plan to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.

"I'm just going to the strong side," he said. "Whew. That strong side is exactly that -- you got the tight end with the tackle all the time. It's a little different there, but I'll be fine."

Williams knows a lot is expected of him.

"I feel like it's a team and I feel like the whole d-line has my back," he said. "I'm going to go out and I'm going to play as hard as I can for them. I feel like whatever happens it's as a unit. I don't feel like the one in the spotlight out there."

Williams, described as a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Julius Peppers, broke North Carolina State records for career tackles for a loss and sacks.

"I hope that maybe one day I can overwhelm people in the NFL the way I did in college," he said. "I've just got to work hard."

Sounds good!

Runner
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
The Texans plan to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.

That answers one question we've had.

Rightnow
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Go Mario! :mario:

Sportsfan
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
I found this too:

Williams eats a foot long club sandwhich for lunch
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to the dessert bar, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the cafeteria.

It may have been the only moment all day the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable as he was about to load up on a bowl of banana pudding.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, sitting through a 30 minute lunch eating a foot long club sandwhich.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing or for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen on what the best sandwhich is at the Texans' facilities. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those recommending the club sandwhich.

:sarcasm:

TEXANS84
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Need a link to articles please.

Exascor
05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Linky (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9443136)

Errant Hothy
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM

"I'm just going to the strong side," he said. "Whew. That strong side is exactly that -- you got the tight end with the tackle all the time. It's a little different there, but I'll be fine."

Ok, so my D-line knowledge is sorely lacking but is it usaully to line up your best pass rusher on the strong side?

Would he not be better suited to play the weakside, and only have to worry bout the tackle and maybe an RB?

Tailgate
05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
So whats the timeframe we should anticipate Mario really starting to take hold in the NFL?? I am sure we all are hoping that he gets a real quick start in this league. I know DE's typically take a year or two before they really start to produce (hopefully the case for TJ).

Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year, and Freeny had 13.

So I guess I can go ahead and expect quite a bit out of Mario his first year?? That would be just fine with me!

kingh99
05-16-2006, 06:17 PM
So whats the timeframe we should anticipate Mario really starting to take hold in the NFL?? I am sure we all are hoping that he gets a real quick start in this league. I know DE's typically take a year or two before they really start to produce (hopefully the case for TJ).

So I guess I can go ahead and expect quite a bit out of Mario his first year?? That would be just fine with me!

Depends how they use him. I do not see him in the mold of Peppers or Freeney but rather Reggie White. This guy seems like a versatile LOAD. A stuffer and a bull as well as a speed rusher.

ensign_lee
05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
It would make a lot more sense to have Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, with Weaver at DT than Mario at RDE and Weaver at LDE, with Babin not in the rotation. I think that's why the lineup is like this.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for info. Man, I can't wait to see Mario on our D-line.

AtheGreat
05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
"He stopped a lot of our plays," the coach said. "He did a good job. To hop in there day one with the starters and go -- that's a lot to ask. It looks like he did a fine job to me."

just wondering, this isn't a rookie mini-camp right? if not, is he going against starting OL or just 2nd and 3rd stringers guys?

aj.
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM
This OTA is non-mandatory but everyone is there since it's a new regime. There were 96 guys out there today. Mario lined up against the first team (Wand and a TE) a bunch.

MorKnolle
05-16-2006, 10:36 PM
It would make a lot more sense to have Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, with Weaver at DT than Mario at RDE and Weaver at LDE, with Babin not in the rotation. I think that's why the lineup is like this.

As of now it sounds like it is going to be Williams and Peek at DEs, Weaver and Payne at DTs for the majority of the time, although on short yardage or other running situations you can have Weaver and Mario at DEs and Payne and Robaire/TJ at DTs, and you could even have Mario and Weaver at DTs and Babin and Peek at DEs if they want as well.

just wondering, this isn't a rookie mini-camp right? if not, is he going against starting OL or just 2nd and 3rd stringers guys?

Yes, the whole team was there so MArio was playing against the 1st team offense, from what I heard he was mainly at strongside end so he was going against Weigert and a TE most of the time.

Kaiser Toro
05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
As of now it sounds like it is going to be Williams and Peek at DEs, Weaver and Payne at DTs for the majority of the time, although on short yardage or other running situations you can have Weaver and Mario at DEs and Payne and Robaire/TJ at DTs, and you could even have Mario and Weaver at DTs and Babin and Peek at DEs if they want as well.

Glad your back, but please elaborate on it sounds like...

aj.
05-16-2006, 10:44 PM
from what I heard he was mainly at strongside end so he was going against Weigert and a TE most of the time.

He was RDE and against Wand and a TE most of the time.

MorKnolle
05-16-2006, 10:54 PM
He was weakside and against Wand and a TE most of the time.

No, Mario was playing LDE (strongside DE) against the RT, which would be Zach Wiegert and the TE, Antwan Peek was playing RDE (also known as weakside DE) against Wand, trust me on this one, I have a reliable source.

aj.
05-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I have a reliable source.

I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was watching other stuff. But when the nut cutting full team drills were going on near the end, Mario was RDE repeatedly against Wand.

powerfuldragon
05-16-2006, 10:57 PM
I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was looking at other things. When the nut cutting full team drills were going on, Mario was RDE against Wand.

win.

AndreJ
05-16-2006, 11:00 PM
No, Mario was playing LDE (strongside DE) against the RT, which would be Zach Wiegert and the TE, Antwan Peek was playing RDE (also known as weakside DE) against Wand, trust me on this one, I have a reliable source.

I read that in the chronicle this morning as well, but if aj was there i mean what can you say?

Blake
05-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was watching other stuff. But when the nut cutting full team drills were going on near the end, Mario was RDE repeatedly against Wand.

Yeah, but I know a guy who knows a guy, who sells peanuts for the Texans, and he says he lined up against Weigert.

j/k But ill take someone who was actually there, over a reliable source...

ledzeppelin229
05-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Maybe you're working on a longer statement...but anything really stand out? I need Texans news in the offseason like an addict needs crack.

aj.
05-16-2006, 11:04 PM
It could have happened and I just didn't see it. What I did see was Mario lined up at RDE against Wand repeatedly when they were really getting after it near the end of practice. I know that because I was straining to see #90 on the other side of the line since the D was facing the north goal line at about the 20 and I was on the LOS on the west sideline.

Robaire and Flanagan had some fun.

run-david-run
05-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Why does the article say strongside? Would that mean we lined up the TE on the weakside?

run-david-run
05-16-2006, 11:05 PM
It could have happened and I just didn't see it. What I did see was Mario lined up at RDE against Wand repeatedly when they were really getting after it near the end of practice. I know that because I was straining to see #90 on the other side of the line since the D was facing the north goal line at about the 20 and I was on the LOS on the west sideline.
How did the Wand/Mario battle go?

SAMURAITEXAN
05-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Guys. AP article on Mario was good. I'm here in Tokyo and everyday trying to find anything about the Texans through internet. The most of info has been found from AP and other nationwide media and not from local media like chronicle. Today, I went to see what the chronicle had to say about Williams first practice and only able find about Bush!! Could you guys give them some kind of pressure to chronicle to write more about Texans! And please let them know we didn't draft Bush!!

I want to know more about the Texans than other player/s drafted by some other team/s. Especially, from local media like chronicle. Their located in Houston and nothing to inform us about Texans? Crazy!! I'm pretty sure they can find something. Like how rookies are doing, what kind of scheme they are currently woking on thing like that(should write about Texans everyday).

After all Houston is THE FOOTBALL TOWN IMO.

Any comments?

MorKnolle
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM

So who was playing strongside DE against Wiegert? Maybe Peek or Babin were there and Mario was still playing weakside against Wand?? I'm telling you Mario was playing strongside DE the majority of the time with Peek at weakside DE. I trust my sources.

Robaire and Flanagan had some fun.

You probably saw Peek's #98 that looked like #90 from that angle.

run-david-run
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
So who was playing strongside DE against Wiegert? Maybe Peek or Babin were there and Mario was still playing weakside against Wand?? I'm telling you Mario was playing strongside DE the majority of the time with Peek at weakside DE. I trust my sources.

Or Weaver was playing SDE...the possibilities are endless!

aj.
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Believe what you want. I saw what I saw and if you don't think I can tell the difference between Peek and Mario, then rock on with your sources....

I actually didn't notice who was lining up against Wiegert even though it was right in front of me. I was focused on #90 - Mario Williams - among other things, like Carr, Moulds, Putz, DeMeco, the offensive line, et al.

Coach C.
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
AJ you know I am a decent fan of your column and most of your views, but on this one Mork is all over it. I was at the practice and eventhough Mario did line up as you say for several plays he played LDE most of the time. They set up several times in a 5-2 or 4-3under set with Orr coming down which caused serious problems for our line and they switched Orr and Greenwood depending on some coverage situations.

Peek did use Wand repeatedly though and he is yoked from an offseason of working out, but I doubt you would mix up a 6-2.5 guy and a 6-7 guy. Eventhough some uneducated white folk would say we all look alike. hahaha that is a joke people so dont get your panties in a bunch.

MorKnolle
05-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Or Weaver was playing SDE...the possibilities are endless!

I thought that was how it would go most of the time, but from what I heard it was usually Mario, Weaver, Payne, Peek from LDE to RDE, Orr at LOLB, Cowart at MLB, and Greenwood at ROLB, and it sounded like they frequently shifted the LBs and brought Orr up to the LOS outside of Mario on the strongside in a 5-2 formation (4-3 under I think, don't remember which way the LBs slide for a 4-3 over vs. 4-3 under).

MorKnolle
05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Believe what you want. I saw what I saw and if you don't think I can tell the difference between Peek and Mario, then rock on with your sources....

I actually didn't notice who was lining up against Wiegert even though it was right in front of me. I was focused on #90 - Mario Williams - among other things, like Carr, Moulds, Putz, DeMeco, the offensive line, et al.

Sounds like a lot of things to be concentrating on to follow Mario 100% accurately, and how do you not notice who was on strongside DE then since that was the side closer to where you were standing but you could see thru 3-4 DLinemen to see Mario was on the other side? Just asking...

kfranco_utexas
05-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Wish there was pics...
Does any one have a pic of Mario with the Texans unis?

AndreJ
05-16-2006, 11:22 PM
The Texans plans to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.

Williams knows a lot is expected of him.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9443136

Coach C.
05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
there should be one somewhere, on NFL Total Access they just showed Mario going through some of the warmup drills and such, plus Bruce Smith extended the invitation to Mario to help in his development. He said he thinks Mario has the potential to be the next great defensive player. Bruce and damn cannot remember the other guys name, both said they would love to take him under their wing and act as mentors to help in his development.

aj.
05-16-2006, 11:25 PM
how do you not notice who was on strongside DE then since that was the side closer to where you were standing but you could see thru 3-4 DLinemen to see Mario was on the other side? Just asking...

Maybe because I was specifically looking for #90 and not caring about the others? I don't know.

...scroll back to my first post where I said it could have happened when I was watching other stuff.

Doubt me all you want. Maybe I was somewhere else and didn't realize it. Good god.... Mario played RDE against Wand for a good chunk of practice today and obviously they moved him around.

How about that Flanagan - Robaire thing, huh, coach?

Kaiser Toro
05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Mario was lined up as FS according to my source.

source: John McClain

aj.
05-16-2006, 11:29 PM
I read that in the chronicle this morning as well,

All the Chronicle article said was that Peek "is making the shift from outside linebacker to defensive end." It didn't say which side.

TexansFan4EvR
05-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Man ... I didnt know Williams was such a BIG BOY ... 6'7 292 pounds ... god .. no wonder why ive heard him at tackle. Im glad to see he had a great first day.

Williams ........ Payne ........ Smith ....... Weaver

Robinson Wong................ Cowart ........... Greenwood Buchanon

Brown............................................. .........Earl

Seems good so far.... hopefully somebody in the secondary steps up except for Robinson exspecially in their contract year COUGH (Buchanon).. Seems like that could be our weakness this year!:twocents:

Coach C.
05-16-2006, 11:32 PM
actually young buck at practice weaver played DT. but i figure that you are looking at your hopeful starters for the beginning or meat of the season as seeing Wong likely will not be ready by the start of the season, at least there is some speculation.

AndreJ
05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
All the Chronicle article said was that Peek "is making the shift from outside linebacker to defensive end." It didn't say which side.

I'm sorry scroll back a few post and read the excerpt i posted from an article off of NFL.com i gave the link as well...Mario himself talks about playing Strong side defensive end, I don't think you can get more proof than the man stating it himself.

ledzeppelin229
05-16-2006, 11:36 PM
actually young buck at practice weaver played DT. but i figure that you are looking at your hopeful starters for the beginning or meat of the season as seeing Wong likely will not be ready by the start of the season, at least there is some speculation.

Should we expect DeMeco to start in his place if he isn't ready to go? Most of our other OLBs are all converted DEs, so it isn't too hard to imagine him beating them out/showing enough that the coaches want him to get some real playing time.

Coach C.
05-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Zepplin not only do you have a big time band as your avatar you are raising a good question. Right now DeMeco is working with the second team. With Greenwood, Cowart, and Orr getting the nod at the moment. That is a solid group eventhough I would like to see DeMeco get some work in the middle he mostly subed for Greenwood though. I think DeMeco could be a very good MLB in an attacking style defense. He is fast enough to cover and drop into zones and his hands are not bad. Not to mention the kid is smart and should absorb the playbook and study other teams well.

RedTex
05-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I know this isn't about Mario, but what did our O-line look like today?

Coach C.
05-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Better and solid, Carr and Flannagan got chewed out a bit by Sherman for some exchange problems and they could not really hold back Mario, Peek, Smith, Weaver, and to some extent Payne, but they were solid. Spencer and Winston look good and should compete for pt early. Winston much more polished and could possibly start, but it is still early and Spencer is a mammoth and freakishly strong. They could possibly be our futre bookends.

Honoring Earl 34
:chicken: Is it me or is TJ the forgotten man here . He was a 1st round pick out of position . I would say he has a better than average shot of starting at DT .

MorKnolle

Sounds like our DLine gave them some decent hassles but they still looked ok. I'm sure it will be pretty hard to get much of a good reading on them until later into mini camps/training camp when they go full pads etc. and the players can really go out and hit each other.

:chicken: Is it me or is TJ the forgotten man here . He was a 1st round pick out of position . I would say he has a better than average shot of starting at DT .

I don't plan on TJ starting, although he should be a regular part of the rotation. I'm not sure how much value should be placed in being named a "starter" as our defense can and should use a bunch of different looks. A lot of his PT will depend on whether they primarily use Weaver as a DT with Mario and Peek at DEs (TJ won't play over both Payne and Robaire in that instance) vs. Weaver and Mario playing DEs, leaving Payne, Robaire, and TJ to rotate at the two DTs. Either way, I don't think TJ will be on the field for more than 35-40% of the plays, I don't think he's good enough yet or shown enough talent/work ethic to earn that kind of PT, and I'm not sure it will happen with Payne, Robaire, and somewhat Weaver in front of him for now.

Not to prolong this anymore, but they aren't going to play Mario at weakside and Peek at strongside. Today Mario and Peek were both on the field together the majority of the time with Mario at strongside and Peek at weakside, but I'm sure Mario will see a lot of time at weakside with Weaver at strongside throughout the year.

RedTex
05-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Better and solid, Carr and Flannagan got chewed out a bit by Sherman for some exchange problems and they could not really hold back Mario, Peek, Smith, Weaver, and to some extent Payne, but they were solid. Spencer and Winston look good and should compete for pt early. Winston much more polished and could possibly start, but it is still early and Spencer is a mammoth and freakishly strong. They could possibly be our futre bookends.

thanks guys. All the game film I have seen of Spencer makes me really excited that we got him. The guy seem to have some nasty in him and a motor that doesn't stop.

mexican_texan
05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm sorry scroll back a few post and read the excerpt i posted from an article off of NFL.com i gave the link as well...Mario himself talks about playing Strong side defensive end, I don't think you can get more proof than the man stating it himself.
Increase the Peace.

It's been said that Mario could play all four positions on the line at one time or another.

aj.
05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
thanks guys. All the game film I have seen of Spencer makes me really excited that we got him. The guy seem to have some nasty in him and a motor that doesn't stop.

He's massive and quick. I watched Sherman put him and Pitts through some drills where they fired off against a lineman and a LB. Spencer was able to get to the second level quickly despite his bulk. He is very quick on his feet. At least I think that's what I saw.

Mario saw a TE on the RDE side as well. Get used to seeing TE's and fullbacks involved more than ever.

Also a Terrence Murphy sighting today on the sideline. Expect a signing soon.

Runner
05-16-2006, 11:55 PM

I think it is pretty early to make real value judgements yet, seeing as they weren't in pads and each unit is learning their new system and each player his specific responsibilities.

I talked to a player very briefly this evening, and he said this first practice was much better than last year's practices, which confirms what most people suspected.

Mario saw a TE on the RDE side as well. Get used to seeing TE's and fullbacks involved more than ever.

This is the type of stuff I think will be interesting the next few weeks. I think these workouts will give us some strong indications what our revamped offensive and defensive playbooks will look like, even though the plays will be limited as they learn.

mexican_texan
05-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Also a Terrence Murphy sighting today on the sideline. Expect a signing soon.
So he's been cleared to play? I thought he broke his neck or some part of his vertabrae last season.

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:00 AM
what did our O-line look like today

L to R same as previously reported

Wand - Pitts - Flanagan - McKinney - Wiegert

Flanagan has some well worn knees... to put it nicely...

Hodgdon was missing counts all day long. Lots of miscommunication on snaps. It was the first day of practice - I would expect mass confusion.

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:01 AM
So he's been cleared to play? I thought he broke his neck or some part of his vertabrae last season.

He has that spinal stenosis thing going on. Narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck - like Frank Bush of the old Oilers who almost became our co defensive coordinator. I think he has medical clearance (not sure) but he has increased risk for serious injury.

ledzeppelin229
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
The problem with trying to judge our OL right now is the common prediction that we'll have one of the strongest and deepest DLs in the league (or should). So which way is it gonna be? It's pretty hard to jump for joy at either one being dominated, but I don't really want to see mediocre reports of play either as a way of "balancing out" domination from both sides.

So can the DL be slowed down and make us feel better about the OL? Can the OL be beaten like the redheaded stepchild and just attribute it to the new 4 man DL?

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:05 AM
It was the first day of practice - I would expect mass confusion.

Thanks for that - we are so thirsty for knowledge around here we need to heed this note of caution.

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
I didn't mean to pour water on a hopping thread...

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Not to prolong this anymore, but they aren't going to play Mario at weakside and Peek at strongside.

Good lord - how about a shred of cred. First you have me mistaking Mario for Peek and now this. I was simply clarifying that the Chronicle didn't specify where Peek was going to play (just defensive end). He can barely play weakside LB against the run so I doubt we see him at strongside DE any time soon. I assume we'll see Peek on the weakside on passing downs - periodically and depending on the situation - and Mario can and will be moved around. otw Weaver at LDE and Mario at RDE will be common on 1-2 downs just like it was during crunch time today. As was stated before, Weaver is also flexible inside and out. I like our DL this year. It will be a strength of the team. I don't see TJ getting lost in this system. I see him thriving.

mexican_texan
05-17-2006, 12:17 AM
The Chronicle was already proved wrong today, saying Wong wasn't there.

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Wong was jogging early on. Then went in for a wrap and came back out to watch. Or maybe that was Kris Brown.

DD worries me. I hawked him as he was being interviewed by Mark Berman and he was very cautious with his answers. He's definitley not participating in any of the OTA or mini-camp activity.

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Good lord - how about a shred of cred. First you have me mistaking Mario for Peek and now this. I was simply clarifying that the Chronicle didn't specify where Peek was going to play (just defensive end). He can barely play weakside against the run so I doubt we see him on the strongside any time soon. I assume we'll see Peek on the weakside on passing downs - periodically and depending on the situation - and Mario can and will be moved around. otw Weaver at LDE and Mario at RDE will be common on 1-2 downs just like it was during crunch time today.

I may regret adding to this, but to quote a certain basketball player "it was practice".

At one time, they may have run a series of plays of a specific situation (i.e. 5 plays in a row simulationg 3rd and long). At another time a series simulating something else. They might switch the TE from the right side to the left side. Depending on what they were practicing when someone was watching, different conclusions could be reached.

For the record, I think that aj (and most people) can tell the difference between Williams and Peak.

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
a) Wong was jogging early on. Then went in for a wrap and came back out to watch. Or maybe that was Kris Brown.

b) DD worries me. I hawked him as he was being interviewed by Mark Berman and he was very cautious with his answers. He's definitley not participating in any of the OTA or mini-camp activity.

a) good one. lol

b) wow - minicamp is still a little bit away too. Hopefully he's ready for training camp.

Kaiser Toro
05-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I may regret adding to this, but to quote a certain basketball player "it was practice".

Iverson: "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:25 AM
DD made it sound like they were going to bring him along real slow. I got the impression that he wouldn't be allowed to go full speed until training camp, i.e., late July (only two months and change away - and he just had the scope in January.

Texansbacker
05-17-2006, 12:26 AM
A picture of Dominick Davis too I think.

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Iverson: ...

Darn - it seems I misquoted him. Talk about a lazy post - I could have looked that up! I should change my post to "we're talking about practice".

Or maybe I should have said paraphrase rather than quote.

Opinions?

Runner
05-17-2006, 12:30 AM
DD made it sound like they were going to bring him along real slow. I got the impression that he wouldn't be allowed to go full speed until training camp, i.e., late July (only two months and change away - and he just had the scope in January.

I guess it just seems like forever since January.

Kaiser Toro
05-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Darn - it seems I misquoted him. Talk about a lazy post - I could have looked that up! I should change my post to "we're talking about practice".

Or maybe I should have said paraphrase rather than quote.

Opinions?

Don't be hard on yourself, we're just talking about practice.

aj.
05-17-2006, 12:40 AM
One of my earlier comments was related to a fairly nasty fight today between Flanagan and Robiare. Lot's of mofos flying as both rolled on the ground. Kubiak was not pleased.

mexican_texan
05-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Don't be hard on yourself, we're just talking about practice.
Practice? You want to talk about practice? It's just practice.

Kaiser Toro
05-17-2006, 12:42 AM
One of my earlier comments was related to a fairly nasty fight today between Flanagan and Robiare. Lot's of mofos flying as both rolled on the ground. Kubiak was not pleased.

Why are Aggies always in the mix when it comes to mofos?

That is my last grasp at high brow humor tonight. The crickets have been heard.

F-minus67
05-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Does it really matter where Mario plays, just as long as he is good where it is?

Davis37
05-17-2006, 01:02 AM
That artical has some good news and bad news at the same time IMO. Good news is that Mario looked good, as he was stopping alot of plays... On the other hand that is horrible news because he was going up against our 1st string OL. If a rookie DE can stop our plays, think of what is going to happen to Carr when the real season begins. As I said before, good news and bad news. Hopefully Mike Sherman can make us a decent OL this year.

kfranco_utexas
05-17-2006, 01:29 AM
That artical has some good news and bad news at the same time IMO. Good news is that Mario looked good, as he was stopping alot of plays... On the other hand that is horrible news because he was going up against our 1st string OL. If a rookie DE can stop our plays, think of what is going to happen to Carr when the real season begins. As I said before, good news and bad news. Hopefully Mike Sherman can make us a decent OL this year.
It's Ok...Remember he is a freak.. The Texans wont face many of those 6'7 290 plus DE.

bckey
05-17-2006, 03:56 AM
AJ. I appreciate the information.

Runner
05-17-2006, 07:06 AM

I think it is pretty early to make real value judgements yet, seeing as they weren't in pads and each unit is learning their new system and each player his specific responsibilities.

The offense takes longer to get going then the defensive line too. The individual D-lineman can just be aggressive, the OL has to coordinate more with each other.

Cjeremy635
05-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I have read the discussion about who M. Williams lined up against in practice and there seems to be some confusion. I wasn't there but on the news last night it showed him going up agaisnt Weigert (sp?). Williams was taken to the ground and looks like he got handled pretty good. I know that it was only one clip and probably didn't give a good indication of how he did in the whole practice. I think it's good for him to not dominate our O-line right off the bat. That would be an ego boost for him and a negative one for our O-line. I think that it's a good sign that he knows he has a lot to learn and is willing to put in the extra work to be a superb player. I can't wait till September... :redtowel:

BigBull17
05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Sounds like our DLine gave them some decent hassles but they still looked ok. I'm sure it will be pretty hard to get much of a good reading on them until later into mini camps/training camp when they go full pads etc. and the players can really go out and hit each other.

I don't plan on TJ starting, although he should be a regular part of the rotation. I'm not sure how much value should be placed in being named a "starter" as our defense can and should use a bunch of different looks. A lot of his PT will depend on whether they primarily use Weaver as a DT with Mario and Peek at DEs (TJ won't play over both Payne and Robaire in that instance) vs. Weaver and Mario playing DEs, leaving Payne, Robaire, and TJ to rotate at the two DTs. Either way, I don't think TJ will be on the field for more than 35-40% of the plays, I don't think he's good enough yet or shown enough talent/work ethic to earn that kind of PT, and I'm not sure it will happen with Payne, Robaire, and somewhat Weaver in front of him for now.

Not to prolong this anymore, but they aren't going to play Mario at weakside and Peek at strongside. Today Mario and Peek were both on the field together the majority of the time with Mario at strongside and Peek at weakside, but I'm sure Mario will see a lot of time at weakside with Weaver at strongside throughout the year.

They are gonna have alot of versatility with our front seven. Wih them putting in a 5-2 that just adds to it. You could put Mario out at the LB position up on the LOS and have Weaver and maybe TJ at DE in a run stuffing set up. On 3rd and longs, TJ will probubly sub in for Payne to rush the passer. I just love the versatility I am hearing about.:fans:

dalemurphy
05-17-2006, 09:31 AM
They are gonna have alot of versatility with our front seven. Wih them putting in a 5-2 that just adds to it. You could put Mario out at the LB position up on the LOS and have Weaver and maybe TJ at DE in a run stuffing set up. On 3rd and longs, TJ will probubly sub in for Payne to rush the passer. I just love the versatility I am hearing about.:fans:

3rd and longs could see a five man line with TJ, Weaver, Mario inside the tackles and two of Peek, Babin, Kalu on the outside. It is difficult to imagine the defense not getting pressure on the QB in a scenario like that. It will be a welcome sight after suffering through so many failure on 3rd and long the past two seasons.

titan hater
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM

Frankly, I would take 0 sacks from him as long as it takes a OT, TE, and a RB to block him...and someone else gets the sack. I just want to see some wins this year...I want to see teams game plan against him...That is the mark of great D-Lineman...

TexanAddict
05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Dunta on Mario:
“He’s a big dude,” Robinson said. “I didn’t want to stand too close beside him because I am already a small dude. He makes me look like Chris McKenzie.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2592

Probably the funniest quote I've read from practice yet! Wonder what McKenzie feels like standing next to him?

Bullpen Drew
05-17-2006, 06:34 PM
sounds like this pick is going to work out!

Runner
05-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Not that is was really a mystery, but...

During practice, they've been using the tight end more evenly on both sides of the formation, rather than predominately on the offensive right side. Therefore, Williams has been getting action against both the right and left tackles as he keeps to the strong side.

aj.
05-17-2006, 06:53 PM
I almost threw that out there last night -- the post was in the queue and ready to submit, but for some reason I said screw it.

Runner
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I almost threw that out there last night -- the post was in the queue and ready to submit, but for some reason I said screw it.

The strong side not be fixed in space seemed the obvious answer to the dilemna last night, but I didn't want to say anything because I didn't know for sure then.

It's funny how some of the little things blow up way out of proportion sometimes.

aj.
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
The strong side not fixed in space

I had recalled seeing Putz coming off Wand's left shoulder during the conversation. He would chip and seek a zone where the LB had vacated - and was a frequent target.

What some people were missing is that strong sde is not always the right side of the offense - at least in Kubiak's offense - hence Mario lining up 'strongside' at RDE against LT Seth Wand and a TE. If one day of practice against his own offense is a clue, where Mario lines up will ultimately be driven by the opponent's offensive set.

I figured it was too much trouble to continue.....None of this is all that important on May 16.

Runner
05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I had recalled seeing Putz coming off Wand's left shoulder but all he would do is chip and run to a zone where the LB had vacated. None of this is all that important on May 16.

Very true. Some posters have already noted concern that Mario is "handling" the offensive line.

a) It's May 16
b) They are wearing helmets, jerseys, and shorts
c) They aren't going full speed; they are working technique, balance, and stuff as well as learning the system

I do like watching the process as they bring everything together though.

slamdunc
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Mario on strong side makes perfect sense. I feel Babin/Peek would just get crushed against the run with a tackle TE combo (if they play on a non-pass situation). The only problem with this is it will somewhat difficult for the casual fan to judge Mario's performance accurately. If he has, let's say less than 10 sacks, some casual fans will freak out. In reality, if he gets 9 for example and the other side goes off or the run game is minimized, it will be due to his presence in large part. Nothing you will see in the box score though.

I would expect Greenwood to make plays in space at weakside backer. He had very productive numbers as a WIL in Miami.

slamdunc
05-17-2006, 07:21 PM
AJ you know I am a decent fan of your column and most of your views, but on this one Mork is all over it. I was at the practice and eventhough Mario did line up as you say for several plays he played LDE most of the time. They set up several times in a 5-2 or 4-3under set with Orr coming down which caused serious problems for our line and they switched Orr and Greenwood depending on some coverage situations.

Peek did use Wand repeatedly though and he is yoked from an offseason of working out, but I doubt you would mix up a 6-2.5 guy and a 6-7 guy. Eventhough some uneducated white folk would say we all look alike. hahaha that is a joke people so dont get your panties in a bunch.
Coach --
Can you elaborate on a 4-3 over or 4-3 under set as opposed to a base 4-3? I am unfamiliar with those. Assumption is that it has to do with gaps on the DL though.
THANKS!

hollywood_texan
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Who cares if he gets the sack or bunch of sacks? What matters is stopping drives, sacking the QB, and creating turnovers. Defense is a team thing with important schemes.

As long as he is the important factor in creating that for our defense and the defense is top 8 or so, he should be worth the money.

Great example is Ray Lewis, he was such a monster because of his down lineman during that Super Bowl, which freed him up.

aj.
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Not to answer for Coach, but over and under basically describes the line shift. Over is a shift to the strong side and under is a shift to the weak side. There are other details like gap assignments and techniques and how/where the LB fills in to complement the shift but that's the basic meaning of over/under.

MorKnolle
05-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Not that is was really a mystery, but...

During practice, they've been using the tight end more evenly on both sides of the formation, rather than predominately on the offensive right side. Therefore, Williams has been getting action against both the right and left tackles as he keeps to the strong side.

Yes you are correct on that, Mario stayed on the strongside of the formations at all times, not necessarily always at LE, and he and Peek were still in together on all of the 1st team plays. They also switched the LBers around too depending on which side the TE lined up on, as they always kept Orr on ths strongside with Mario and Greenwood on the weakside, and Orr more often than not was brought up along the LOS outside of Mario to form a 5-2 formation to look something like this if the TE is on the right side of the OLine:

....TE....RT....RG....C....LG....LT
SLB....SDE.....DT1...DT2........WDE
.............MLB.....WLB

or like this if the TE is on the left side of the OLine:

....RT....RG....C....LG....LT....TE
..WDE......DT2...DT1....SDE....SLB
.................WLB....MLB

1st team positions for the majority of the time:
WDE: Antwan Peek
DT1: Anthony Weaver
DT2: Seth Payne/Robaire Smith (usually lined up basically right on the center)
SDE: Mario Williams
SLB: Shantee Orr (will pass rush sometimes or else go one-on-one with TE against pass, adds another player on the line to help contain runs)
MLB: Wali Rainer (seems as though Cowart is injured becuase he hasn't practiced yet)
WLB: Morlon Greenwood

2nd team positions:
WDE: Jason Babin
DT: Robaire Smith/Seth Payne
DT: Travis Johnson
SDE: N.D. Kalu
SLB: Charlie Anderson
MLB: Terry Pierce
WLB: DeMeco Ryans

Coach --
Can you elaborate on a 4-3 over or 4-3 under set as opposed to a base 4-3? I am unfamiliar with those. Assumption is that it has to do with gaps on the DL though.
THANKS!

See my above rough diagrams of what a 4-3 over/under is vs. a base 4-3

On a side note that was previously asked, the OLine has looked pretty solid thusfar and it sounds like they have a pretty good group for Kubiak's scheme that should be solid once everyone has the system/playbook down, and it sounds like both Winston and Spencer have looked pretty good so far and should be ready to start in 07 if not later this year. It also sounds like our DLine has looked real nice so far, has disrupted many offensive plays and definitely looks like the strength of our defense, granted they aren't in full pads yet so that changes things a little. Sounds like Petey hasn't done overly well against Johnson/Moulds, hopefully he or Buchanon will step up or else they will be able to find a more capable replacement either already on the team or still out there in free agency (maybe Ty Law if he's cheap or grab someone after June 1 cuts or after final roster cuts). The front 7 will help the DBs look a lot better than last year, but if you have a consistently weak link back there and the QB has an easy out when he gets pressured then the defense will suffer for it.

Texans_Chick
05-17-2006, 11:37 PM
This is a fabu thread. Best in a long time.

So, for you eyewitnessers. What the heck were Jason Babin and Travis Johnson doing?

And what is the most obscure thing that you haven't mentioned on the MB yet, but those of us who are wanting table scraps would want to hear about.

MorKnolle
05-17-2006, 11:41 PM
This is a fabu thread. Best in a long time.

So, for you eyewitnessers. What the heck were Jason Babin and Travis Johnson doing?

And what is the most obscure thing that you haven't mentioned on the MB yet, but those of us who are wanting table scraps would want to hear about.

Babin and TJ have both been in on the 2nd string defense, Babin mainly as strongside DE (I doubt he sees much PT during the season with Mario and Weaver ahead of him at this position and Peek/Mario ahead of him at weakside), and I'm not sure how much TJ will see the field with Payne and Robaire ahead of him (both playing well so far) and Weaver apparently getting a decent amount of time at DT as well.

A couple players I don't expect to make the final roster:
Todd Wade (likely a June 1 cut)
Dave Ragone (I think Quinton Porter will be our 3rd QB over him)
DaShon Polk (been getting limited action with 3rd string defense and Wong isn't back yet either)

Sounds like there are a lot of WRs and TEs that have looked decent so far and there should be some nice competitions throughout training camp for who makes the final roster, and RB is another pretty solid position.

The DLine has looked great so far, hopefully that will keep up and improve, and it seems like our defensive system will be able to feature a great variety of looks both in formations (base 4-3, 4-3 over/under, maybe bringing back some 3-4 plays) and personnel (Mario, Weaver, Peek all starting-quality DEs and Babin is also pretty solid there, Payne, Robaire, Weaver all starting-quality DTs and TJ is also pretty solid, decent talent at LB now with Orr/Anderson/Wong at SLB, Wong/Cowart/Rainer at MLB, and Greenwood/Ryans at WLB).

slamdunc
05-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the clear up Mork and AJ...preciate it

Texan in Japan
05-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Good info, nice to hear from this kind of discussion. Curious about Babin at SDE, has he added the 20 lbs he dropped to be OLB? If he hasn't I'm surprised he's being tried there.

Ragone gone? If so, I'd wish we get a pick for our investment. Same with Wade, a late round pick next year would be better than nothing.

Runner
05-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Good info, nice to hear from this kind of discussion. Curious about Babin at SDE, has he added the 20 lbs he dropped to be OLB? If he hasn't I'm surprised he's being tried there.

Ragone gone? If so, I'd wish we get a pick for our investment. Same with Wade, a late round pick next year would be better than nothing.

I'm concerned that with the combination of Weaver playing tackle & end and Peak being the choice on the weakside, that Babin may end up the odd man out. The usual caveat - it is early right now and things may change, but Babin may end up being some expensive depth that doesn't see the field much barring injury. Or worse. Pretty much the same goes for TJ with Weaver, Payne, and Smith rotating in the middle.

I think Ragone will be here for the season.

aj.
05-18-2006, 07:55 AM
There's not a lot you can tell from one practice but Babin could be a misfit in this defense. A 3-4 tweener relic that will be a specialist at best, if they can afford the roster space. I saw him close-up and I don't see that he's bulked up much at all.

Erratic Assassin
05-18-2006, 08:50 AM
DD worries me. I hawked him as he was being interviewed by Mark Berman and he was very cautious with his answers. He's definitley not participating in any of the OTA or mini-camp activity.

I wonder what that's about. DD is the same guy who publically stated that his goal was to rush for 2,000 yards one year. He's not the type to give cautious answers.

keyfro
05-18-2006, 09:37 AM
i think everyone was worried about this pick...but whenever people talk about him they say that he is a cross between julius peppers and lawrence taylor...i'm sorry but the only feeling i have when i hear that is glee...the super beast is gonna run wild on payton and bryon...and whoever the titans qb is

MorKnolle
05-18-2006, 10:49 PM

I don't see any team giving up a draft pick for Ragone, if we could somehow get one then I'm all for it, but I just don't see that happening. We could maybe get a 7th rounder for Wade, but I think teams would see that we're not interested in keeping him and would just wait until we cut him rather than giving anything up for him.