PDA

View Full Version : Walker vs. Moulds

beerlover
05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Which trade looks better now the acquisition of disgruntled Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker for a 2nd rd. pick or the Texans aquiring Eric Moulds for a 5th rd. pick?

Moulds has played longer & consistantly played at a higher level (over 9,000 career yds. vs. less than 2,500 yds) than Javon, but Walker showed a higher ceiling (in 2004 had 89 rec. 1382 yds. w/12 TD's) compared to Eric's best season in 2002 (100 rec. 1292 yds. w/10 TD's). Of course Javon had Brett Farve throwing to him vs. Drew Bledsoe/Doug Flutie. There is the age difference (33 vs. 27) but Moulds stays in great shape and has been injury free while Walker missed nearly all of 05 with a torn ACL. lastly Moulds is 2nd all time on Buffalo WR list (behind Andre Reed) while Walker (with hopefully a long career still ahead of him) only had one breakout season that in 2004 :hmmm:

TheOgre
05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
For the picks used, the Texans got a better value. However, Walker is going to have his prime years as a Bronco, but Moulds is already at the end of his prime. Also keep in mind that Walker was traded to be their #1 WR, and Moulds our #2. In some ways that is apples and oranges.

Ibar_Harry
05-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Which trade looks better now the acquisition of disgruntled Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker for a 2nd rd. pick or the Texans aquiring Eric Moulds for a 5th rd. pick?

Moulds has played longer & consistantly played at a higher level (over 9,000 career yds. vs. less than 2,500 yds) than Javon, but Walker showed a higher ceiling (in 2004 had 89 rec. 1382 yds. w/12 TD's) compared to Eric's best season in 2002 (100 rec. 1292 yds. w/10 TD's). Of course Javon had Brett Farve throwing to him vs. Drew Bledsoe/Doug Flutie. There is the age difference (33 vs. 27) but Moulds stays in great shape and has been injury free while Walker missed nearly all of 05 with a torn ACL. lastly Moulds is 2nd all time on Buffalo WR list (behind Andre Reed) while Walker (with hopefully a long career still ahead of him) only had one breakout season that in 2004 :hmmm:

Its amazing how many don't see this has a big acquizition. He should compliment AJ and we should be a very much more difficult team to defense when in passing formations. In addition if either one goes down we still really have a number 1 receiver. I think Walters and others are only going to add to our capability.

TheOgre
05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Great point. If you think about the players we added this year with our draft picks, including the two WR's we got with our 5th and 7th, we look like we added a ton of talent.

beerlover
05-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Just heard on Sports 610 from practice earlier today that to see Andre Johnson with Eric Moulds both big physical receivers makes a HUGE difference out on the field, hope they can both stay healthy if so this will make for significant improvement alone on offense :twocents:

trane
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM

:hmmm:
Obviously Javon is going to be the #1 receiver in Denver while Moulds will be the #2 receiver here. I think the X Factor in this equation is Moulds positive influence on the receiving corp as a whole and Jerome Mathis in particular. I think signing Moulds is the better move.

NoBullTexan
05-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Walker will help the Bronco's passing attack, however Moulds will ESTABLISH The Texan's passing attack.

kiwitexansfan
05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Isn't Javon still injured???

Paying more for an injured WR makes this fairly open and close case in my mind.

Moulds was great value.

beerlover
05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
to be honest this is what inspired the question http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/review/teams/denverbroncos.html Scott Wright gave Denver a B+ for their draft & included Javon Walker as part of the package. So I will be looking for the same treetment in regards to the Texans draft, if he includes Moulds it should be A+ :hunter:

what has just been noticed, incidently at the same time with the Texans practices is that Moulds is a very impressive physical specimen & compliment to Andre Johnson without the distraction like the Broncos are gonna get from Ashley Lelie.

bigtex77
05-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Cue the Bobo "Moulds is old and his numbers are declining" post. :stirpot:

beerlover
05-17-2006, 04:18 PM
just a update from news today regarding Ashley Lelie unhappiness with the accusation of Javon Walker http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A0Je5TXig2tE_HkBQiJDubYF?slug=ap-broncos-lelie&prov=ap&type=lgns Moulds & a 5th rounder looks better all the time :)

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I think ours looks better because we gave up a 5th round pick for a player we really needed for a long time here and the Broncos gave up a second round pick for a player that they didn't really even need (they had 2 good recievers in Lelie and Smith) and now they got Lelie mad. They could have used that second round pick on a need for there team, not somewhere where they are all stocked up at.

beerlover
05-17-2006, 05:24 PM
I think ours looks better because we gave up a 5th round pick for a player we really needed for a long time here and the Broncos gave up a second round pick for a player that they didn't really even need (they had 2 good recievers in Lelie and Smith) and now they got Lelie mad. They could have used that second round pick on a need for there team, not somewhere where they are all stocked up at.

for what its worth I've heard that Denver wants to run a three WR set now that Kubiak is gone :twocents:

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
for what its worth I've heard that Denver wants to run a three WR set now that Kubiak is gone :twocents:

Last year they used mostly 2 WR sets, right then? I think if Kubiak used that here it would be very successful as Ithink there is a huge decline from Moulds to Walter. Also, thanks for that info as I haven't heard anything about that.

beerlover
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
nice article just posted on the main page- http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2595

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Last year they used mostly 2 WR sets, right then? I think if Kubiak used that here it would be very successful as Ithink there is a huge decline from Moulds to Walter. Also, thanks for that info as I haven't heard anything about that.

How much do you know about Walter? I would not say it is a HUGE decline. One is on the downslide of his productive career and the other is on the upside of his productive career.

IMO I would put Walter up against Moulds and with Walter's size, speed, strength, tight route running, and fantastic hands he would give Moulds a run. The definite thing Moulds has over Walter is the experience in the NFL and has many tricks and moves developed to use on DBs. I am hoping that Moulds will work with Walter, Mathis, and AJ to further develope these guys to recognize these things that you can only master as you experience it and Moulds has experienced it and learned. Now it is time to teach and also be productive at the same time.

AtheGreat
07-26-2006, 12:57 AM
If you figure that we could have gotten Javon and prob a S (w/ the 5th rd pick). OR Moulds and DeMeco...i'd pick the latter. Can't wait to see what both Moulds and Demeco can do!
:fans:

TEXANRED
07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Obviously Javon is going to be the #1 receiver in Denver while Moulds will be the #2 receiver here. I think the X Factor in this equation is Moulds positive influence on the receiving corp as a whole and Jerome Mathis in particular. I think signing Moulds is the better move.
Did Rod Smith retire?

Before you go who, he has a shade under 11k yards in a ten year career. Rod Smith has been the corner stone in the Denver's passing attack that has included great receivers like McCaffery and Lelie.

Javon is going to be a #2. Possible future #1, but that depends on if Ashley can stick the pacifier back in his mouth and go out there and compete and fight for a starting job and not demand a trade, b/c in my opinion I feel Ashley is a better receiver.

So to answer the question, The Texans got the better deal, a proven solid receiver that will not only take pressure off AJ but also guide our younger receivers thru the tough times and help them develop. All for a 5th round pick.

Texans_Chick
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
So to answer the question, The Texans got the better deal, a proven solid receiver that will not only take pressure off AJ but also guide our younger receivers thru the tough times and help them develop. All for a 5th round pick.

Moulds as mentor is great. He and AJ have been hanging out together all OTA/minicamps.

I also think it helps us with the refs. This is something I can't prove, but I sometimes feel that when you have a bunch of young, non-established players, you don't get a lot of calls that other teams with established players get. It's not obvious like it is in the NBA for example, or sometimes with strikezones in the MLB, but I think it happens, and maybe it makes a difference in a couple of games here or there. The talent levels on these teams are so close that you need a couple of nice breaks happening for you.

Runner
07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Moulds as mentor is great. He and AJ have been hanging out together all OTA/minicamps.

I hope that works out better than Dre and P-Buc hanging out together last year. Of course, a lot of that was outside of work.

TEXANRED
07-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I also think it helps us with the refs. This is something I can't prove, but I sometimes feel that when you have a bunch of young, non-established players, you don't get a lot of calls that other teams with established players get. It's not obvious like it is in the NBA for example, or sometimes with strikezones in the MLB, but I think it happens, and maybe it makes a difference in a couple of games here or there. The talent levels on these teams are so close that you need a couple of nice breaks happening for you.
I agree with that. How many times did we see AJ getting mugged in his rookie season and no flags were thrown.

I think its the refs way of hazing the rookies.

Rosewood
07-26-2006, 02:14 PM

Walker is a big play guy...Mould is just a good receiver...he has reached that point in his career where he can mainly help with the small things...Javon on the other hand can do the small as well as the big things...he is the truf and Dever got a steal..you knoe dever dont care nothing about 1st and 2nd round picks...lol

Ryan
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Just heard on Sports 610 from practice earlier today that to see Andre Johnson with Eric Moulds both big physical receivers makes a HUGE difference out on the field, hope they can both stay healthy if so this will make for significant improvement alone on offense :twocents:
:drool:

Bobo
07-26-2006, 03:20 PM

Walker is hurt and Moulds is a basket case. I'd say neither trade is much to write home about.