PDA

View Full Version : In hind sight: McNeil vs. Lundy

Hottoddie
05-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm a bit perplexed about our 6th round pick. I realize that we're going to be a predominately run oriented team with the new system, but in my opinion, Reggie McNeil would've been the better choice with our 6th round pick.

We could've picked up an undrafted RB comparable to Lundy, like Mike Bell, Gerald Riggs, or Derrick Ross (maybe, even Lundy) to be our 3rd or 4th RB. Or, as we're seeing now, make a trade for another team's 3rd string RB.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060514/SPT02/605140375/1062/SPT

McNeil is already being switched to the WR position in Cincinnati & has publicly stated that he's willing to do that, & is actually enjoying the challenge. At 6'2" 197lbs. & reportedly running a 4.36 40, he would've made a great WR prospect to groom behind Moulds. It's even been speculated that he's talented enough to switch to DB. Both positions could've used his talent.

I don't mean to be complaining about the moves of the front office, but this does make me question whether the Texans draft the BPA in the late rounds, or just draft for need. Any thoughts?

TheRealJoker
05-14-2006, 12:06 PM
When it gets to the late rounds everyone's board is gonna be different when talking about BPA.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Right before the draft didnt they do a special on reggie mcneil and didnt he say that he had no interest whatsoever to switch positions. that he was a qb and that is all that he would be willing to play?? And they questioned him about his stance and his thoughts on whether he thought it would hurt his stock any....he replied he didnt think so and that he was unwilling to switch positions no matter what happened.

Guess that goes to show what the possibility of going undrafted at your position will do to your train of thought...on another note I think the lundy pick was good and will fit the zone system perfectly since he is a shifty runner with a good burst of speed through the line of scrimmage.

TexanFan881
05-14-2006, 04:30 PM
An update on Reggie McNeal from kffl.com

Bengals | McNeal looks good at WR
Sun, 14 May 2006 13:20:59 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Reggie McNeal looked good making the transition from quarterback to wide receiver Saturday, May 13. McNeal flashed his 4.32, 40-yard speed as well as excellent cutting ability and turning the corner on routes across the middle and on out patterns. McNeal will not work at quarterback during the team's remaining three practices, according to head coach Marvin Lewis. McNeal could make the team as a No. 6 wide receiver and provide them with a wide receiver/quarterback threat

McNeal could make the team. That line stuck out. A #6 WR. Why would we want him. He's a long term project at WR and not a very good QB. I think the Lundy pick was a lot better than the Bengals pick of McNeal, considering at draft time Lundy was almost a lock to make the team behind Morency and Davis and McNeal would only be a #6 WR for us if that, and most likely wouldn't make the team.

LORK 88
05-14-2006, 04:39 PM
it all has to do with the personnel already on the team and our new HC's offensive philosophy. At WR, we're pretty set with AJ, EMo, Mathis, Walter, and Armostrong so McNeil would be in the same situation that he's in with Cincy. Lundy on the other hand (depending on trades and who does what), could see immidiate time at RB and develop into a decent backup in the future. Kubiak also runs the ball like crazy so a #3 RB has more value to him over a #6 WR.

utahmark
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
i live in lufkin and watched mcneil win a state title for us. it would of been nice to be able to see him in a texans uniform. the way he took over the second half of the state championship game was impressive. of course thats high school. he has a strong arm to go with that speed. i think he should go to canada and see if he could play qb.

tsip
05-14-2006, 04:49 PM
...is the draft over?

Erratic Assassin
05-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Reggie McNeil would've been the better choice with our 6th round pick.

McNeil is already being switched to the WR position in Cincinnati & has publicly stated that he's willing to do that, & is actually enjoying the challenge.

Can Reggie McNeil catch? Can he run routes? Can he get separation? Can he keep his concentration going over the middle? I hate the idea of drafting McNeal to be a QB It makes no sense to let Jabar Gaffney go then turn around and draft McNeal to play his position.

Mailman04
05-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I prefer Lundy over Reggie.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I prefer Lundy over Reggie.

I wouldnt go that far...I would much rather have reggie than lundy but I'll take mario over bush at the num 1 spot and am excited about getting lundy late in the draft, but if we could get reggie where we got lundy then I would be exstatic.

TheRealJoker
05-14-2006, 09:48 PM
I wouldnt go that far...I would much rather have reggie than lundy but I'll take mario over bush at the num 1 spot and am excited about getting lundy late in the draft, but if we could get reggie where we got lundy then I would be exstatic.

Pretty sure he meant Reggie Mcneal.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Pretty sure he meant Reggie Mcneal.

Damn did i miss that one...guess i have reggie bush on the mind since arguing with some saints fan...thanks for the wake up call back to the topic....:francis:

Texas
05-14-2006, 09:55 PM
I really wish we wo uld have took Reggie Mcneal though because we could have used him as a situational QB for us when we get close to the end zone to cause another threat.

beerlover
05-14-2006, 09:58 PM

I can see your point however this was clearly about filling a need position (power H back) over WR which they got a good one with David Anderson @ the end of the 7th http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=217

I wish Reggie the best, he could certainly work out to be a beast or bust while Wali Lundy http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=216 could do the same but he fills a vacant hole :bowser: