PDA

View Full Version : The deep Freeze is on!

Ibar_Harry
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Since the CC thing, ESPN has nothing new, Houston Pro Football has nothing new, and the chronicle has nothing new to report. My gut feeling is that certain writers are not too happy and I think the same is true of the Texans. I believe information is going to be hard to come by and you can see it on this Web site.

wicked_wayz
05-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Since the CC thing, ESPN has nothing new, Houston Pro Football has nothing new, and the chronicle has nothing new to report. My gut feeling is that certain writers are not too happy and I think the same is true of the Texans. I believe information is going to be hard to come by and you can see it on this Web site.

yeah bummer man

cuppacoffee
05-12-2006, 11:58 PM

We can always read the latest on everyones favorite rumor mill. Excerpts from an article there. Read the entire article on their site if you care to.

McCLAIN MOPS UP

Renowned and respected NFL journalist John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, who has drawn our ire of late with his decidedly un-journalistic approach to the dissolution of the relationship between Texans owner Bob McNair and G.M. Charley Casserly, finished the job in grand fashion in the paper's Thursday edition with a headline proclaiming that "McNair Rejects Reports That Casserly Was Fired."

Since we're the only quasi-publication that ever reported that Casserly was getting the heave-ho -- and since we received multiple communications from the team's front office disputing our report -- it's clear that McClain was referring to us.

McClain says that McNair "emphatically" denied that Charley got the pointy-toed boot. "No, he has not been fired, so you can forget that," McNair said during the press conference announcing Casserly's departure.

McClain also writes that Casserly is not happy with reports that his exit wasn't voluntary. "Yeah, I am upset about that," Casserly said. "I'm glad that question was asked and Bob answered it. I have not been fired. There's absolutely no truth to it. I could have stayed on but chose not to."

and

An industry source informed us on Wednesday that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan warned new Texans coach Gary Kubiak that Casserly would try to claim credit if/when Kubiak turns the team around. Thus, the thinking is that Kubiak concluded that Casserly needed to go. The source also told us that Casserly still wanted the team to select Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the draft, and that it was McNair and Kubiak who came together and decided that Mario Williams was the right call -- especially since Kubiak's offenses in Denver churned up plenty of yards with no-name tailbacks.

Why do we care about any of this? Because we've got a low tolerance for bullsh-t. And we think that's precisely what the Texans have cooked up -- and what McClain has been serving with a side of home fries.

Finally, some might wonder why McNair would be so adamant that Casserly wasn't fired. Here's our theory. McNair feels genuine gratitude for Casserly's efforts,

Believe or dis-believe what you want.

Read it all here. (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

:coffee:

HJam72
05-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Ooooooh-B-K-B. :shoot: :rolleyes:

Double Barrel
05-13-2006, 12:56 AM
That's crazy drama. Who knows, who cares. I'm so freakin' ready for football season.

HJam72
05-13-2006, 01:01 AM
I almost hate to say it, but I tend to believe McClain on this one.

GP
05-13-2006, 09:41 AM
McNair was a nice guy to let Capers stay through the season. He was a nice guy to let Casserly stay through the draft. And he's a nice guy to allow Casserly, and to support Casserly, through the long walk of shame.

If people are peeved because McNair is lying by saying that Casserly wasn't fired, then that would be a lie worth permitting. It saves everyone face. And in today's day and age, saving face is not the protocol of big organizations. Give me a day when people who have done their job (maybe not "well," but they did their job) and still get keep their dignity if they have to leave the organization. We're showing the sports world how to run a franchise.

Sportsfan
05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
That's crazy drama. Who knows, who cares. I'm so freakin' ready for football season.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

powerfuldragon
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
On the next episode of As the Football Turns: Charlie is mad at bob for covering up his firing. Gary watches the players perform for the first time and David isn't quite up to speed.

Malloy
05-13-2006, 12:30 PM
On the next episode of As the Football Turns: Charlie is mad at bob for covering up his firing. Gary watches the players perform for the first time and David isn't quite up to speed.

Now THAT'S good family FUN! ;)

Bobo
05-13-2006, 01:12 PM
McNair was a nice guy to let Capers stay through the season. He was a nice guy to let Casserly stay through the draft. And he's a nice guy to allow Casserly, and to support Casserly, through the long walk of shame.

Personally I think the Texans should have kept Capers on for many aleady stated reasons. However, if you know you are going to fire a coach early in the season it is probably best to get rid of him quickly because, with the axe hovering over a coach's head, he's liable to do some things that wouldn't be beneficial for the team in the long run. For example, Carr started every game last year, even though things were hopeless. This would have been a perfect time to bring in someone like Ragone and see what he could do. But instead, Capers was trying to salvage his job and kept starting Carr in hopes of being able to say that the team was on the rise at the end of the season. Capers may have thought he had no stake in the future of the Texans and that his future was now. I don't fault him for that -- that's the norm and any coach in his position would do exactly that. Thus, a coach who is fighting to keep his job rather than the future ot the team might not be what the franchise wants to experience.

touttail
05-13-2006, 01:44 PM

I'm so with ya on this!
I am sooooooooo ready for the season to begin!
"I've been ready for some football":redtowel:

Bobby 119C

SheTexan
05-13-2006, 01:59 PM
:hairpull: Wake me up when Aug gets here!!

Bobo
05-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Information about what? Casserly is gone, they said he wasn't fired, so unless anybody was there during the conversations they should leave sleeping dogs lay. It's a pity folks have nothing better to do rather than debate about if a guy was fired or not. I heard some guy on KILT gritch and moan about the "charade" while the other guy, who actually had some common sense, said, "Who cares, let's move on."

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2006, 04:15 PM

Everytime I say that, my wife says "Gee Honey, I haven't heard you say that in the last five minutes."

I was thinking the other day someone should put one of those countdown timers on the website, counting down to the season opener.

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2006, 04:18 PM

I feel like that is the case all of the time. A good biproduct of having the number one pick was all the coverage we were getting, it was nice for a change. That's okay, let them shun us, they are fickle anyway all we have to do is kick some butt this season, and they will come runnin'.

Ibar_Harry
05-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Information about what? Casserly is gone, they said he wasn't fired, so unless anybody was there during the conversations they should leave sleeping dogs lay. It's a pity folks have nothing better to do rather than debate about if a guy was fired or not. I heard some guy on KILT gritch and moan about the "charade" while the other guy, who actually had some common sense, said, "Who cares, let's move on."

I've been saying the same thing for some time now. I would like to hear interviews with the new coaches, what schemes perhaps they are thinking about using, how people are working out together, how are the coaches thinking they are going to use the extra training camps they are entitled to, and perhaps when is the 1st training camp? They don't want to talk about these kinds of things and I do belive it appears the two sides are mad at each other.

TexansJunkE
05-13-2006, 08:17 PM
ESPN is like a Tabloid magizine. They only report what is gossip and if it is true they are more times than not the last to report it. Thank You for NFL Network. I think we should Boycott ESPN! Who's with me?:hunter:

Ibar_Harry
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Still not much coming out of Houston's favorite newspaper concerning the Texans. I still say there is a lot of unhappy reporters out there.

TheOgre
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Here is the reason Casserly was kept through the draft:

If this draft class and FA signings are a success, Kubiak gets credit.

If this draft class and FA signings are a failure, Casserly gets the blame.

IMO that was a smart PR move by McNair. Much smarter than the way they handled the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush/Vince Young scenario.

GP
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Personally I think the Texans should have kept Capers on for many aleady stated reasons. However, if you know you are going to fire a coach early in the season it is probably best to get rid of him quickly because, with the axe hovering over a coach's head, he's liable to do some things that wouldn't be beneficial for the team in the long run. For example, Carr started every game last year, even though things were hopeless. This would have been a perfect time to bring in someone like Ragone and see what he could do. But instead, Capers was trying to salvage his job and kept starting Carr in hopes of being able to say that the team was on the rise at the end of the season. Capers may have thought he had no stake in the future of the Texans and that his future was now. I don't fault him for that -- that's the norm and any coach in his position would do exactly that. Thus, a coach who is fighting to keep his job rather than the future ot the team might not be what the franchise wants to experience.

This will be the rant of all rants. In fact, this will be the end of your Capers boosting when people read this one. You are at about a 95% ignore ratio right now, and I bet it surges to 98% or better after the following thesis:

If a coach is fighting for his job, he's going to do ALL he can to win. Except for Capers, he didn't do that. He could have let David Carr call the shots all season long (like Carr did against Arizona)...but something kept him from allowing Carr to do what big boy QBs in the NFL do: Call the shots, or at least have a say in the in-game playcalling. Capers didn't allow it, and only DID allow it when it was forced upon him by Mcnair and Reeves....outside of that one "half" of a football game against Arizona, Capers didn't allow the No. 1 draft pick and starting QB of the Texans to call the shots, or at the very least to have buy-in and ownership of the playcalling to SOME degree, even after being sacked 345 times and taking the beating of his life for the past four years under what can be called one of the worst passing offenses of all time.

You'd think that kind of torture...being a company man for Capers...would earn Carr some stripes with the head coach, give him at least a sporting chance against teams who knew the quick hitch or the RB dump off pass was coming their way every other play. But nah, something kept Capers from allowing his franchise QB to call the shots, or to at least have some sort of decision-making role when he lines up under center. What was it? What was "it" that kept Capers from allowing Carr to call the shots more? And when I say "more," I mean "more than one half of an NFL game out of the fours seasons Carr has been our starting QB?"

I think, in my opinion, Capers had his pride at stake. If Carr succeeds, it makes Capers look all the more silly for not giving Carr more leash the previous three seasons. And he figured he was going out anyway, so why even give anybody a chance to point a finger at him (Capers) for being so squeaky clean as a person, but so dastardly dictatorial as a head coach?

But that's just my opinion, and you want to know why? Because for the life of me I cannot figure out why a hungry, desperate coach "fighting for his job" wouldn't throw to caution to the wind. I can't figure out why Capers wouldn't let his pride fall off after the Arizona game. But heck, maybe McNair told him he was fired already anyway...and so nothing at all mattered. Mcnair said to give Carr the reins for one half, Capers complied, and it was all Reeves and Kubiak needed to see to know that they had their guy at QB--That must have been the most humiliating half of football in Capers' life. Of course, this is the same Kubiak whom you think is going to flop...a guy who wets his bed and cries for mommy all the time and can't begin to handle a head coaching job in the NFL. A guy whom you said "doesn't even get on the sideline with the guys, but sits in the booth," and I busted you on lying about that one and provided the link to an NFL.com article from 2002 http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/5701519 that shows he's been on the sidelines for YEARS. Of course, you never responded to my fact-finding that exposed you as someone who would even make stuff up just to beat someone down.

Carr has had all the talent and all the skills to be a top tier QB in the NFL....but had it practically wasted by a guy (Capers) whom you claim is a nugget of gold with nobody smart enough to see and recognize.

Thank you Capers for giving us a "foundation" as a respectable organization that is professional in its demeanor and attitude towards life and NFL football. But thank you, Mr. McNair, for seizing the day and making sure that this team is given the resources it needs to make the next step and to play more respectable football on Sundays.

Capers is gone. Casserly is gone. And now it's time to show at least some sort of respect to the new head coach. A little optimisim is in store, if you ask me. Good luck to DOm in Miami. But I wish even better fortune to Kubiak. He's making a believer out of me. At least there's some attempt to shake up the roster and make some changes that aren't just "changes in name only."

Bobo
05-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Capers is gone. Casserly is gone. And now it's time to show at least some sort of respect to the new head coach. A little optimisim is in store, if you ask me. Good luck to DOm in Miami. But I wish even better fortune to Kubiak. He's making a believer out of me. At least there's some attempt to shake up the roster and make some changes that aren't just "changes in name only."

I'll have to agree with you on one thing -- that was indeed a rant to end all rants. Of course, it doesn't change anything. And if I am at a 95% "ignore" ratio, whatever. I can't say where every poster is on my ratio. If a post interests me, I will read it and respond to it -- no matter who the author is. Many posts don't interest me, so I wouldn't be surprised if you rank pretty high on that ignore ratio for me as well. But then again, I wouldn't know. I listen to KILT almost every day but for the life of me I couldn't name "the morning crew" or "the drive-home" guys if it would save my life. Personalities really don't impress me much. I will say this, though. You sound like a fan of Kubiak. So be it. If you have season tix, as I do, it will be interesting to see if you're still attending the games come week 10 -- which may be the Texans' first real chance to win a game.

lazzer65
05-16-2006, 10:11 AM
The hometown paper had listed yesterday that they were going to have some write up on the Texans and the beginning of work outs. Then ya open this morning's paper and a freaking column....not even really a column, more like a paragraph. Hell they talked more about Bonds and his tired body than they did about the beginning of a completely new Texans team.

Pretty sad if you ask me.....

Dale

GP
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I'll have to agree with you on one thing -- that was indeed a rant to end all rants. Of course, it doesn't change anything. And if I am at a 95% "ignore" ratio, whatever. I can't say where every poster is on my ratio. If a post interests me, I will read it and respond to it -- no matter who the author is. Many posts don't interest me, so I wouldn't be surprised if you rank pretty high on that ignore ratio for me as well. But then again, I wouldn't know. I listen to KILT almost every day but for the life of me I couldn't name "the morning crew" or "the drive-home" guys if it would save my life. Personalities really don't impress me much. I will say this, though. You sound like a fan of Kubiak. So be it. If you have season tix, as I do, it will be interesting to see if you're still attending the games come week 10 -- which may be the Texans' first real chance to win a game.

I can't make the drive from Amarillo every Sunday, or I would indeed be at every game. I plan to be at the Dallas game since it's only about seven hours form Amarillo.

The way I see it, Capers got four seasons....Kubiak gets four seasons.

And we'll see who has the better four-year record. Of course, then the card that will get played is the "Oh yeah, but Capers started an expansion program and all he had was scraps of leftovers to work with....wah wah wah."

Bobo
05-16-2006, 09:06 PM
I can't make the drive from Amarillo every Sunday, or I would indeed be at every game. I plan to be at the Dallas game since it's only about seven hours form Amarillo.

The way I see it, Capers got four seasons....Kubiak gets four seasons.

And we'll see who has the better four-year record. Of course, then the card that will get played is the "Oh yeah, but Capers started an expansion program and all he had was scraps of leftovers to work with....wah wah wah."

The way I see it, Capers got four seasons starting with nothing, nobody, no infrastructure, not anything, nada. Kubiak gets the benefit of riding herd on what Capers left him -- folks like AJ, D-Rob, Carr, D-Davis and that defensive backfield he has left intact. The fact that Capers started off from scratch while Kubiak has something to build on cannot be denied. And that is why Capers deserves :respect:

mike moffat
05-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Time to move on. Let's get ready for the season. It will be here before we know it. When we start kicking butts and taking names, all will be forgotten.:redtowel:

Ibar_Harry
05-17-2006, 12:30 PM
So far nothing from Justice and McClain. I find that real interesting.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Another day has gone by and still nothing really in the Chronicle.

GP
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
The way I see it, Capers got four seasons starting with nothing, nobody, no infrastructure, not anything, nada. Kubiak gets the benefit of riding herd on what Capers left him -- folks like AJ, D-Rob, Carr, D-Davis and that defensive backfield he has left intact. The fact that Capers started off from scratch while Kubiak has something to build on cannot be denied. And that is why Capers deserves :respect:

Like I said....that's the card that will get played.

Thus, we're in a no-win situation with you on this topic.