PDA

View Full Version : If the Texans chose Julius Peppers ...

Bobo
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
... who would have been their QB for the last four years? Some NFL reject for the first one or two and then Ragone? Tony Banks? If you look at it, the alternatives weren't all that great.

Exascor
05-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I am a believer that expansion teams should build from the lines out. Drafting a QB with the first pick is setting that pick up for a rough time. Yeah-hindsight really works.

I wouldn't have cared who the QB was for the first 2 years. Build a team then find someone to lead it. There were a few good QBs in the drafts after we took Carr. Even taking Carr could have been an OK choice if we had a good veteran for him to learn from for a year or 2.

Given who we had it could have been Wuerffel (sp?) or Banks. Neither would have been great but it's not like we were a great team anyways.

El Tejano
05-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Alex Van Pelt was out there and at the time he was a good back up in Buffalo. At worse we could've gone with Mike Quinn who was one of the original 10 to sign with us.

bigtex77
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
... who would have been their QB for the last four years? Some NFL reject for the first one or two and then Ragone? Tony Banks? If you look at it, the alternatives weren't all that great.

Mike Quinn? :yahoo:

bigtex77
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Alex Van Pelt was out there and at the time he was a good back up in Buffalo. At worse we could've gone with Mike Quinn who was one of the original 10 to sign with us.

Damn, you beat me to it!!

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-12-2006, 03:06 PM
It hasn't been an easy ride, but I like where we are now. I think (hope) that before this season is over the Carr haters will go to the basement. Kubiak and Shanahan have shown limited patience for QBs since the retirement of John Elway. So, Carr should see the writing on the wall. He has two years to prove himself to Kubiak. These next two years should be very intriguing and entertaining. If he can do the off field stuff he needs to do, Carr is perfect for this kind of offense. You don't have to be great. You just have to limit your mistakes. With all of the criticisms you can throw at Carr, a high interception rate and low completion percentage are not two of them.

Kaiser Toro
05-12-2006, 03:09 PM
You do not need a high priced QB to win a Super Bowl. The NFL does not subscribe to the HS philosophy that the QB rides off in the sunset with the homecoming queen. Well, maybe in Texas it still does.

El Tejano
05-12-2006, 03:11 PM
I wonder if Roger Carr can come back to practices.

Runner
05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I wonder if Roger Carr can come back to practices.

Along with the relatives of other players that NEVER get mentioned.

V Man
05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Here is an old piece from HoustonProFootball.com about draft what ifs. Many of you have probably already read it. But if hind-sight was possible, our team could be scary.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review35.html

Runner
05-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Here is an old piece from HoustonProFootball.com about draft what ifs. Many of you have probably already read it. But if hind-sight was possible, our team could be scary.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review35.html

The catch is, if the Texans were granted the ability to make decisions with future hindsight, then so would other teams. Then the teams picking in front of us in the regular draft would have taken those obvious choices that they skipped too.

TheRealJoker
05-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I loved watching Peppers and Leftwich play in college. I held out a faint hope that we would go Peppers 02 and Leftwich 03...oh well

WiiBrawler
05-12-2006, 09:14 PM

I really thought about that, we could have drafted a quarterback later that draft, we could have ended up with the first pick again and drafted Carson Palmer, or we could have used Tony Banks or Mike Quinn, otherwise this is a sadder picture than we already have

SnakeOilTanker
05-12-2006, 09:45 PM
they would have never drafted Peppers because he didn't fit the 3-4.

Much like Mario wouldnt have been drafted under the 3-4

TheRealJoker
05-12-2006, 10:10 PM
they would have never drafted Peppers because he didn't fit the 3-4.

Much like Mario wouldnt have been drafted under the 3-4

I know.. that's why I only had a faint ray of hope once Capers was hired :crying:

run-david-run
05-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Mario does fit into the 3-4, he is bigger and stronger then Peppers was.

Texian
05-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Mario can play all line positions in the 4-3. I would bet you will see Mario lined up on the inside and outside this season. Opposing offenses are going to have a tough time game planning the Texan defense. Mario runs a 4.7 with 41 vertical leap standing 6'7" and 291 lbs....Can't Wait!!!

Kaiser Toro
05-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Mario can play all line positions in the 4-3. I would bet you will see Mario lined up on the inside and outside this season. Opposing offenses are going to have a tough time game planning the Texan defense. Mario runs a 4.7 with 41 vertical leap standing 6'7" and 291 lbs....Can't Wait!!!

:fireball: :bowser: :mario:

sprtsfanatic
05-12-2006, 11:16 PM
If the texans chose j. peppers...didnt we do that in drafting the next peppers and then some....I think i can find a pic of him...he looks a little something like: :fireball: and sometimes something like : :mario:. His enemies look something like this: :chicken: and after meeting him may end up like this: :crutch: !!!!

thunderkyss
05-13-2006, 01:01 AM
I loved watching Peppers and Leftwich play in college. I held out a faint hope that we would go Peppers 02 and Leftwich 03...oh well
Now that would've been sweet........... oh so sweet.......

We already had Tony Banks before the draft.... i think we'd have been much better off, had we started Banks instead of Carr..... then when he was on track to set the record for most sacks....... I don't understand why they left David in there...... I mean that was just cruel..... sure, he looked fine..... but for the longevity of his career, and what he meant to this franchise...... I wouldn't have left him have a say in the matter.

Trapped
05-13-2006, 01:14 AM
If their was hindsight and we didn't give away picks for babin and buchanon, we could of have a team with

QB: Roethlisberger
RB: Portis
FB: Cooley
LT: Shaffer
LG: Hartwig
C: Bentley
RG: Koppen
RT: Khalif Barnes
TE: Witten
WR: Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin
LDE: Peppers
DT: Rocky Bernard
DT: Travis Johnson
RDE: Mario Williams
OLB: Demeco Ryans
MLB: Lofa Tatupu
OLB: Will Witherspoon
CB: Asante Samuel
CB:Nathan Vasher
FS: Bob Sanders
SS: Gibril Wilson

I was bored......but yeah :drool:

Bobo
05-13-2006, 01:49 PM
We already had Tony Banks before the draft....

No. Banks signed after the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/5622813

DRIFTAWAY
05-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Big Ben would be our qb if we chose Peppers.

TexansCanes
05-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Big Ben would be our qb if we chose Peppers.

we would have taken a qb in our second draft and i think that would have been carson, i wouldn't be to upset with that.

mexican_texan
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
"If my Aunt had ____, she'd be my uncle."
---Rain of Gold

If I used my time machine....errr....If I had a time machine, I would have somehow accused Dom Capers of molesting me, causing McNair to opt for character and sign some other coach.

HOOK'EM
05-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Carson Palmer was the #1 pick the following year, so I think he would have been our QB.:drool:

TheRealJoker
05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
If their was hindsight and we didn't give away picks for babin and buchanon, we could of have a team with

:trophy:

BigBull17
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

That looks like a damn pro bowl ballot. It would have been nice but we would have lost alot of those guys due to them getting PHAT contracts.

Mario does fit into the 3-4, he is bigger and stronger then Peppers was.

Mario could play all line positions and could play a little OLB in the 3-4 as well. Hes a freak.

TexanFan881
05-15-2006, 09:31 AM

Wow, three of those are players we drafted :)

beerlover
05-15-2006, 09:50 AM
if we drafted Peppers we would no have just drafted Mario. one because we would not have the #1 pick and two invest that much into one position. I'm fine where we are now, no pain no gain you know :whip: