PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the NFL changing its NUMBER system?

Texas_Thrill
05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
This issue has come up quite a bit over th years and now its back again with super marketer Reggie Bush.

Edge wanted #5 back in the day. If you recall they did change it for WR's (they say they were running out of #'s.)

What do you guys think should the NFL go ahead and adopt the college # system?

I for one am against it. I was ok with adding the 2 point conversion but I really dont give a hoot if you've worn the # since pop warner and want to market yourself and your website that has #5 associated with it.

I don't think the kid could have went to a more proper place than N.O. A city full of problems has just added another headache.

TexanFan881
05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the Pro system is better and more organized than the college football system and we defainitely shouldn't switch to that. I like it the way it is. If teams and players start running out of numbers than we can add some more options like we did to WRs, but that's the only way they should be able to add a different number to a position.

kastofsna
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
they should only do it in special cases. like when giving a runningback #5 will cause a ridiculous amount of jersey sales compared to any number in the 20s or 30s.

threetoedpete
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
they should only do it in special cases. like when giving a runningback #5 will cause a ridiculous amount of jersey sales compared to any number in the 20s or 30s.
Yep, and I bet that's exactly what they're going to do. Money talks. Miss the old 00's.

Blake
05-13-2006, 01:35 PM
The only reason the numbers were changed for WR's, is because there are alot more WR's/TE's on a roster than Running backs. RB's have 20-30's to use. WR's/TE's only have 10. I think we normally keep 6 WR's, and 3 TE's. THats already 9. We only keep 3 RB's, and 2 FB's.

pittbull
05-13-2006, 01:57 PM
The NFL should in no way allow the numbers to be changed. By doing this, it opens up the door for individuality, which has hurt other leagues, like the NBA. As soon as guys start marketing themselves more than the team, the breakdown of the league starts to happen. Could you imagine a center wearing #44, just because he wore it in High School. This is what makes the NFL so great. It's about team first, then the players. There is much he can make wearing a different number, and it will not affect his marketing one bit! If Vince Young wore #19, half of HOuston would still by it, along with most of the Hip-Hop Generation and NFL fans. With Tagliabue leaving, this is a crucial time for the NFL, as we may never see another commissioner like him again! Keep the NFL rolling, and not falling like the NBA!:redtowel:

kastofsna
05-13-2006, 02:14 PM
they'll never allow o-linemen to wear anything other than the 60s and 70s they have now. it's so the refs can know who's illegally downfield.

mexican_texan
05-13-2006, 10:44 PM
The NFL has to show that no rookie is above everyone else. If they change their rules, it would mean that they have given into Bush's demands. If the league wasn't so strict, the players would have more fun, but the game would become out of control sometimes and they would seem unorganized.

The college numbering system is different because there are so many more players. There could be 20+ WR/TE in the roster.

Panther5407
05-13-2006, 10:50 PM
they'll never allow o-linemen to wear anything other than the 60s and 70s they have now. it's so the refs can know who's illegally downfield.

they wear in the 50s too

Youngstown Colt
05-13-2006, 10:56 PM
LeCharles Bentley is also petitioning the league to wear #00 for the browns.

But really, teams are eventually going to retire too many numbers and put themselves in a corner, so why not just let the runningbacks go into the single digits now?

Doesn't bother me too much.

AtheGreat
05-14-2006, 08:52 AM
The NFL has to show that no rookie is above everyone else. If they change their rules, it would mean that they have given into Bush's demands. If the league wasn't so strict, the players would have more fun, but the game would become out of control sometimes and they would seem unorganized.

right on. I think some of the hype is getting to Bush's head. You may be the next best running back ever, but right now, your a rookie coming into a whole different ballgame. Take what they give you and just play football. And, with a bunch of things changing in the NFL, i'd like to see just a few things stay.

Kaiser Toro
05-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Change the integrity of the game so that a rookie can sell more uniforms based on his college results? I have no problem as long as guys like Bruce Smith, Art Shell, John Matuzak, Earl Campbell, Mean Joe Greene, Mike Ditka and Gene Upshaw have input.

Bentley's request is different in my opinion. That double zero does have some historical context to it in Cleveland at least.

baba ganoush
05-14-2006, 03:20 PM
doesnt adrian mcphereson alreadt own the number 5 for new orleans?????

Huge
05-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Personally, I think it'd be pretty cool to see Mario Williams lined-up wearing #9. Or how 'bout Andre Johnson switching back to #5?

As far as this being considered a lean towards "individuality", why do you think they wear numbers in the first place?

LORK 88
05-14-2006, 06:59 PM
All hell would break loose if Bush got to wear #5. Everyone would want to switch back to their old numbers and by the end of it, half of America would be forced to buy new jerseys because of the changes. Like they say in elementary school, if you bend the rules for one person, you have to for everyone else.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 07:10 PM

That has to be the dumbest comment I've read on this message board...do you really think it matters what number he wears in N.O.??? The "fans" there will buy whatever number he is given because they are "fans" of his...number has no bearing on his marketability. Im seriously hoping that you forgot to insert the "sarcasm" smilie there...:lightbulb:

kastofsna
05-14-2006, 11:39 PM
That has to be the dumbest comment I've read on this message board...do you really think it matters what number he wears in N.O.??? The "fans" there will buy whatever number he is given because they are "fans" of his...number has no bearing on his marketability. Im seriously hoping that you forgot to insert the "sarcasm" smilie there...:lightbulb:
you apparently don't know much about marketing. no doubt about it, his #5 will sell TONS more jerseys. obviously saints fans will buy his jersey if it's 5, 25 or XVI. you know what his nickname is? "#5." he IS number 5, and if he wears it, people will buy the jersey in spades. he made a name for himself with it at USC and it's unique, so it'll sell even more. don't kid yourself.

swtbound07
05-15-2006, 01:27 AM
you apparently don't know much about marketing. no doubt about it, his #5 will sell TONS more jerseys. obviously saints fans will buy his jersey if it's 5, 25 or XVI. you know what his nickname is? "#5." he IS number 5, and if he wears it, people will buy the jersey in spades. he made a name for himself with it at USC and it's unique, so it'll sell even more. don't kid yourself.

If you have to tell other people that "#5" is his nickname, then obviously the USC marketing department didnt get that memo. I didnt know that, and obviously my man before you didnt know that. Bush doesnt have the right to #5. Bush will sell jerseys, and you cant project the impact of a different number, unless you are going to conduct a scientific study on the number of people who now wont buy his jersey because it is not number five.

mancunian
05-15-2006, 02:32 AM

Regardless of what number is on his back - the sales of Bush shirts will be huge.

kastofsna
05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
yep. and they will be even huger if he's #5.

Hulk75
05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Yea I like that..............Let Bush wear #5, but as for a Rookie 6 rd LB that wants to wear 2, I dont think so.

kastofsna
05-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Yea I like that..............Let Bush wear #5, but as for a Rookie 6 rd LB that wants to wear 2, I dont think so.
bush's jersey will sell considerably more.

and of course that's what this decision will come down to. accept it.

Huge
05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
If they allow Bush to wear #5, they'll allow others to wear what they want.

They're not going to limit it to Bush because they believe they'll sell more Bush jerseys while ignoring the fact they'd also sell more jerseys of other players if their numbers are different.

If Michael Huff was allowed to keep his #7, I'd much sooner buy that jersey than the present #24 he wears.

swtbound07
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
bush's jersey will sell considerably more.

and of course that's what this decision will come down to. accept it.

Care to make a bet on what the leagues decision will be about this? Cause no way in the world do they change this for reggie

TexanFan881
05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
NFL | League to change uniform number rules
Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

This better not be a huge change because I like it the way it is. :brickwall: I like the idea of people maybe earning a different number, but not just anyone getting any number and everything getting all confusing.

Mr. White
05-15-2006, 04:50 PM
I heard on 610 today that the NFL has ruled not to let Bush keep #5. Anyone else hear it?

Huge
05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
kffl

NFL | League to change uniform number rules
Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

Steelers | Team thinks there's a good chance numbers rule will change
Sun, 14 May 2006 23:14:28 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Pittsburgh Steelers think there is a good chance the rule restricting uniform numbers to certain positions could change. Owner Dan Rooney is one of the league's more influential owners and several skill position players with the Steelers are wearing numbers during minicamp that previously would not have been allowed. WR Santonio Holmes has been wearing No. 10 and TE Isaac Smolko is wearing No. 48.
#10 is allowed for a WR and #48 is allowed for a TE. That's been the case for a couple of years now.

Kaiser Toro
05-16-2006, 07:51 AM
#10 is allowed for a WR and #48 is allowed for a TE. That's been the case for a couple of years now.

I guess the news has not hit NOLA. We will file this under the troll who knew to much.

kastofsna
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
48 isn't allowed for a TE. he'd have to be a h-back or fullback.

Youngstown Colt
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
48 isn't allowed for a TE. he'd have to be a h-back or fullback.Dallas Clark isn't an H back, and he isn't a FB. He wears 44.

kastofsna
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
they use him as an h-back.

Kaiser Toro
05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Bush wouldn't be the first back to wear number 5 in the NFL. Paul Hourning was the original "big time" RB who wore #5 in the NFL till they made the rule changes to better help the officials, so it's not like it never happened in the league.

I don't have a problem with the change as the linemen will all still have to have the same number sets and it helps the officials to quickly glance at 22 men and see if the linemen are downfield with a glance at the number. I don't think it really matters if a back is 44, 21, 11, or 5 since they are eligible downfield.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2001/0502/photo/a_hornung_i.jpg

Wasn't he drafted as a QB? Moreover, I believe he was a kicker and was mostly a HB with GB.

If I am not mistaken the current rule for numbering was done well after Hornung.