PDA

View Full Version : Morency

Paragon Blue
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
With the signing of Smith what happens to Morency? Does he even get a chance to compete for the backup spot or is he the odd man out?

Texas
05-10-2006, 11:47 PM
He will be 3rd

dalemurphy
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
He will be 3rd

Actually, he could be cut or he could be the starter by September. We are under a different regime now, and apparently they see competition as a healthy thing. My guess is that Morency and Lundy will both make the team and I don't think Smith will. However, they'll all have the opportunity!

kiwitexansfan
05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
There will be competition for spots.

DD is the starter. He has earned it and proven himself in my eyes.

Morency has starter potential more than anyone else on the roster, including even DD in terms of pure potential. He will stay and be the backup feature back for my money.

Smith I expect will be a short yardage/goal line type who may actually play more than Morency on a day to day basis.

Lundy and the other rookies will compete for a 4th roster spot with the best man getting to stay.

That is how I see it playing out.

TexanFan881
05-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Does anyone see us keeping two FBs on the roster along with 4 RBs? In Denver they used a lot of backs and I think Hill and Cook are both capable of making the team.

Kaiser Toro
05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I like DD, but I could see Morency earning this spot rather than getting it due to injury.

keyfro
05-11-2006, 09:06 AM
i think we'll keep 4 RB's and both the FB's...hill and cook are perfect for the system that kubiak is running as far as Fullbacks are considered...with DD's injury list a mile long we'll need as many runningbacks as possible...morency will make the team and is probably the primary back up to DD...smith is the short yardage back...and lundy and rhodes will compete for the 4th back slot...i know we drafted lundy but my money is on rhodes to win the roster spot

Tale Gator
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
The Smiths will never be the same without Morency.

bigTEXan8
05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow...Morency as a possible starter. I never thought of it. That will be interesting. Don't get me wrong...DD is solid, but the whole competition thing could bring about a bunch of suprises. I'd like to see where Kubiak is going to take this team. And just because I want to use this graphic...:shots:

Blake
05-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Davis
Morency
Lundy
Smith

I think we keep 4 backs, and 1 FB. Cook.

TexanFan881
05-11-2006, 10:30 AM
When I looked at Lundy's prospect video it stuck out to me that on some plays he was really good at finding the whole. I think he could be a solid RB and I would be suprised if he gets beat out by Rhodes. Wali could have easily been selected higher and I know there was a link to a thread that a lot of people said that Lundy was one of the biggest steals on the second day. I look for Davis, Morency, Smith, and Lundy along with Hill and Cook on our opening day roster.

beerlover
05-11-2006, 10:33 AM
all those mentioned give validation to Garys thought process in passing on Bush in favor or Mario Williams :fireball:

HoustonFrog
05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Honestly, I see his style and burst fitting the zone blocking scheme better than even DD. That is just my opinion though. He will have to show it.

bckey
05-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking Smith will get cut and it will be:

DD/Morency/Rhodes/Lundy with 2 fullbacks Cook/Hill

Now thats a good young backfield. If Smith does make the team then I think either Rhodes or Lundy will be on the practice squad because why cut one of them when Smith will most likely only be around for 1 year.

TexanFan881
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking Smith will get cut and it will be:

DD/Morency/Rhodes/Lundy with 2 fullbacks Cook/Hill

Now thats a good young backfield. If Smith does make the team then I think either Rhodes or Lundy will be on the practice squad because why cut one of them when Smith will most likely only be around for 1 year.

That's a good point considering Antowain is getting old (he's 34 years old) and he doesn't have much left in the tank and has already reached his potential which our other rookies haven't gotten a chance to do.

Double Barrel
05-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I like DD, but I could see Morency earning this spot rather than getting it due to injury.

I was actually wondering about that same thing. I like Morency, and wouldn't be surprised if he proves himself to be a starter at the end of the day. I like DD, too, but hey, nothing is going to be handed to anyone now. I'm glad our new staff believes in proving your worth and earning your spot. Competition can breed excellence.

Texans86
05-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Lesser known fact: Morency is slightly older than D.Davis. About eight months. Morency played baseball for a couple years then went back to college.

Runner
05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Lesser known fact: Morency is slightly older than D.Davis. About eight months. Morency played baseball for a couple years then went back to college.

Older in people years, younger in football years - less wear and tear.

kiwitexansfan
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Older in people years, younger in football years - less wear and tear.

An important point. RB's don't last forever. Average life expectancy is about 4 years if memory serves.

Hulk75
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
lets say we pull the Bennett deal, who is the odd man out or do we carry 4 backs?
Domanick
Smith
Vernond
Bennett

Meloy
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
There will be competition for spots.

DD is the starter. He has earned it and proven himself in my eyes.

Morency has starter potential more than anyone else on the roster, including even DD in terms of pure potential. He will stay and be the backup feature back for my money.

Smith I expect will be a short yardage/goal line type who may actually play more than Morency on a day to day basis.

Lundy and the other rookies will compete for a 4th roster spot with the best man getting to stay.

That is how I see it playing out. You nailed it in my opinion.

Meloy
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
That's a good point considering Antowain is getting old (he's 34 years old) and he doesn't have much left in the tank and has already reached his potential which our other rookies haven't gotten a chance to do. That 34 year old averaged 4 yds per carry as a POWER Back last season. I say let the best full back win and cut the other as the T.E. selelcted in 4th round can play that position. We need a bruiser that can pick up a 3rd and 1-2 yds or goal line plunge for same yds.

Hardcore Texan
05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Wasn't there talk of Owens and another TE possibly playing a little FB? I think we will keep 4 RB's, a couple playing some special teams.

I know we have plethora of TE's, how many of those will we keep?

run-david-run
05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Wasn't there talk of Owens and another TE possibly playing a little FB? I think we will keep 4 RB's, a couple playing some special teams.

I know we have plethora of TE's, how many of those will we keep?
Thats a good question. I see Putzier and Owens as locks to stay, seeing as Kubes picked them. I hope we keep Jopru and maybe get rid of Bruner, if we have to cut one of them.

dat_boy_yec
05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
lets say we pull the Bennett deal, who is the odd man out or do we carry 4 backs?
Domanick
Smith
Vernond
Bennett

Vernond is out. We need a change of pace back and that would be Bennet, Smith would bring experience and be a solid short yard gainer and solid backup. Even if we did keep a 4th running back I would think they would stay with one of the guys they drafted because of potential and age.

TexanFan881
05-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't know, I just think that Wali Lundy is a young, powerful back while Antowain Smith is an old version of the same thing with more experience. I know Antowain had a good season, but he only played half of the year. I just think that if we're not going to get Bennett, than fine, Antowain should stay on the team because he is capable of being our power back while Wali progresses, but if Bennett comes aboard than I think Wali should stay on the roster and we should get rid of Antowain because he will be the #3 back. New Orleans did the same thing once they got a #2 back in Reggie. They chose to release Antowain Smith over Aaron Stecker, and Aaron Stecker had the same ypc as Michael Bennett. Maybe I'm just to high on Wali though, as I think he could have been as high as a fourth round pick and we got a steal out of him.

mexican_texan
05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Back when we drafted Vernand Morency, the scouts were puzzled, as he was called a Domanick Davis clone. aj. has said that DD could be a cap casualty in '07.

:bowser: oohh oohh I got it!

Malloy
05-12-2006, 03:35 AM

I can't wait to see what the Kubiak system will do to Morency. Given the chance (I can see him as a 2nd RB from game one) I think that Morency could very well turn out to be one of our biggest assets in the backfield.

Speculative, yes; possible, yes :)