PDA

View Full Version : Joppru

baba ganoush
05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
whats up with bennie???????is he still with the team?????i think he has had it the easiest...making big money for riding the pine for the past three seasons....i say that we give him one more chance to see what he can do this training camp /mini camp and if he doesnt show up to try and earn a spot let him go if he has not been already.

texanfan2100
05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
whats up with bennie???????is he still with the team?????i think he has had it the easiest...making big money for riding the pine for the past three seasons....i say that we give him one more chance to see what he can do this training camp /mini camp and if he doesnt show up to try and earn a spot let him go if he has not been already.

He's still here, and I don't think he's hurt yet. I hope they only give him one more chance, seeing as how this is the last year of his contract. If he doesn't do anything this year, I would hope that they wouldn't resign him. I'm not worried though. The GM who would have done that (resigned him) just got shoved out the door yesterday.

keyfro
05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
well obviously by this past draft their not waiting on him anymore...they drafted owen daniels after picking up jeb putzier which means at best joppru is the 3rd TE on the depth chart...what a waste of a second round pick

Kaiser Toro
05-11-2006, 09:05 AM
well obviously by this past draft their not waiting on him anymore...they drafted owen daniels after picking up jeb putzier which means at best joppru is the 3rd TE on the depth chart...what a waste of a second round pick

I guess. Three TE's who have never played in a Texan uniform. One of which is still on the payroll and we have invested many dollars in. Moreover, we have Bruenner to deal with as well. I do not think anything is known until June 1st and anything will be decided until training camp.

Seņor Stan
05-11-2006, 09:25 AM

How is it easy to have your dreams of playing in NFL almost completely ruined?

He has suffered a couple of freak injuries that have sidelined him. It is not a lack of effort or heart on his part. Everything I have read has show him to be putting maximum effort into rehab and film. At least he didn't pull a Winslow and tear himself up on a crotch rocket.

If fully recovered I hope he can make an impact on the team. He can also get some mentoring from that no good bust of a injury prone center of ours. Flanagan didn't play for the 1st three years.

Mike Flanagan was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft.
July 17, 1996 - Signed by the Packers.
August 19, 1996 - Placed on injured reserverd with a leg injury and missed the entire season.
August 19, 1997 - Placed on the physically unable to perform list with an ankle injury and again missed the entire season.
August 31, 1998 - Traded by the by the Packers to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.
September 1, 1998 - Trade is voided because Flanagan failed his physical.
February 12, 1999 - Granted free agency.
March 25, 1999 - Re-signed by the Packers.
2003 season - Played in the Pro Bowl.

No saying Joppru will make the Pro-Bowl, but give the kid a shot to show whay he can do.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-11-2006, 10:58 AM

He has suffered a couple of freak injuries that have sidelined him. It is not a lack of effort or heart on his part. Everything I have read has show him to be putting maximum effort into rehab and film. At least he didn't pull a Winslow and tear himself up on a crotch rocket.

If fully recovered I hope he can make an impact on the team. He can also get some mentoring from that no good bust of a injury prone center of ours. Flanagan didn't play for the 1st three years.

Mike Flanagan was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft.
August 19, 1996 - Placed on injured reserverd with a leg injury and missed the entire season.
August 19, 1997 - Placed on the physically unable to perform list with an ankle injury and again missed the entire season.
August 31, 1998 - Traded by the by the Packers to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.

No saying Joppru will make the Pro-Bowl, but give the kid a shot to show whay he can do.
I agree. It is unfortunate injury and timing caused him not playing a game. What I hear on Joppru is that he does works hard on rehab and getting himself ready for the season. I know, he gets pay without a playing game but he can't control freaking injuries he had in the past. He has so much talent and heart. So let us be an open minded fans and give guy a chance to succeed.

titan hater
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Great Post!!

Texans86
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
...what a waste of a second round pick

It wasn't a waste at the time. He was a great prospect with no injury history whatsoever. We needed a TE and he was a beast at Michigan. No one could have anticipated what happened next. And besides that, most players after getting two freak injuries would begin to slack off, and just take the money. Everything I hear is that Joppru is working just as hard if not harder to get back on the field. I will never get down on a player with heart. Bennie Joppru has heart, and talent to boot.

Double Barrel
05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
There is obviously something about Joppru that coaches/scouts see, because he would have been cut a long time ago otherwise.

I say give the kid a chance. Our loyalty to him could pay huge dividends if he lives up to his potential.

Ibar_Harry
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Where BJ's injuries a result of the training program under Capers? It will be interesting to see if he stands up under Kubiak's program which is quite different.

Runner
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Where BJ's injuries a result of the training program under Capers? It will be interesting to see if he stands up under Kubiak's program which is quite different.

In a word, no. They weren't overuse injuries.

nunusguy
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
It wasn't a waste at the time. He was a great prospect with no injury history whatsoever. We needed a TE and he was a beast at Michigan. No one could have anticipated what happened next. And besides that, most players after getting two freak injuries would begin to slack off, and just take the money. Everything I hear is that Joppru is working just as hard if not harder to get back on the field. I will never get down on a player with heart. Bennie Joppru has heart, and talent to boot.
Good recap 86. And I share your sentiments about Bennie, as I'm also pulling for him to have a real NFL career.

HJam72
05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I think most people agree that he needs one more shot at it, but he better play most, if not all, of this season.

Exascor
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Joppru is my favorite Texan that hasn't played a down for the team. I don't know why but I always felt he would be a great combo TE. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets a decent shot at a roster spot. After a 3 year layoff from contact football though, I'm not sure he can make the roster.

tsip
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
In a word, no. They weren't overuse injuries.

Maybe. maybe not, but there is no question Caper's 'loved' his players beating up on each other from the first day to the last day of the season. During the season, Kubiak will have his players do a 'walk-through' of the game plan for that week, unlike Capers having his guys in full-dress uniform in full contact drills. While Caper's motto was 'more contact/more better, Kubiak believes in saving the contact for the game--a body can only take so much punishnent, plus the factor of better performance when not worn out. Think about it...if a player doesn't know how to block, or tackle, or catch a ball, or run a route by the time he gets to the pros...forget it. Too, over the past 4 years , how many times have we heard that a player got hurt in practice or re-aggravated an injury?

Yes, Bennie's never made it to the reg season but still could have benn trying to do too much during the pre-season.

Runner
05-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe. maybe not, but there is no question Caper's 'loved' his players beating up on each other from the first day to the last day of the season. During the season, Kubiak will have his players do a 'walk-through' of the game plan for that week, unlike Capers having his guys in full-dress uniform in full contact drills. While Caper's motto was 'more contact/more better, Kubiak believes in saving the contact for the game--a body can only take so much punishnent, plus the factor of better performance when not worn out. Think about it...if a player doesn't know how to block, or tackle, or catch a ball, or run a route by the time he gets to the pros...forget it. Too, over the past 4 years , how many times have we heard that a player got hurt in practice or re-aggravated an injury?

Yes, Bennie's never made it to the reg season but still could have benn trying to do too much during the pre-season.

I agree 100% - in fact I started the thread in January that described this Denver practice philosophy. http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=17406

If memory serves, Bennie always got hurt very early in camp/coaches session so I'm not convinced overuse was the cause. Walker and Weigert and their injuries on the other hand...

For the record, I predict good things from Bennie this year.

Hulk75
05-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Easiest ask him if he thinks he has had it easy, is there anything he has not torn yet.
He is running routes and doing fine.

CoachJim
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM

I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy ... or I try to be. Imagine if Joppru does actually come out this season & make an impact ... I'd venture to say that in the next year or 2 we'd have one of the better TE corps in the league, even if it IS by committee(sp)? Don't flame me guys, I said one of the better ones

mexican_texan
05-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Easiest ask him if he thinks he has had it easy, is there anything he has not torn yet.
He is running routes and doing fine.
He has had it worse than anyone else...he is not able to play the game he loves, earn his paycheck, or even get himself in Madden.

TexanFan881
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
He has had it worse than anyone else...he is not able to play the game he loves, earn his paycheck, or even get himself in Madden.

I think he was in Madden '05. :tv:

I think this smiley was made for Joppru :crutch:

JAXwithanX
05-11-2006, 07:50 PM
With the injuries Joppru has gone through....i doubt he will ever be the TE we were hoping for even if he does stay healthy. There is no way his body is able to perform the way it was at that point when we used our Second Round pick. But thats not to say he couldn't be a starter eventually....just not maybe the caliber TE we had originally picked.

TheRealJoker
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Joppru makes me sad :crying:

tsip
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM

...wonder if he even took that million plus they threw at him the past few years?

mexican_texan
05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
...wonder if he even took that million plus they threw at him the past few years?
He sacrificed his body and worked hard for his team. When he's fourty years old, he's going to feel sixty because of football.

Doesn't his salary get picked up by insurance? I know Bobby Sura's salary won't count against the Rockets cap, as he didn't play at all in '05-'06 and an insurance policy picked it up.