PDA

View Full Version : Texans Interested in Steve McNair

bdiddy
05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Just heard John Clayton on Mike and Mike in the morning

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Heard it too. John Clayton said the Titans are just trying to get the Ravens to budge on their offer of a 5th round pick.

bdiddy
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Now we need John McClain to see if there is any truth to this claim.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
He's better than Sage Rosenfels.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Now we need John McClain to see if there is any truth to this claim.

John Clayton is pretty reliable. I'd take his word for it.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
McNair wants to start. He is due to make 9 mil this season. You aren't going to pay anyone that much to hold the clipboard. He will not be a Texan.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
McNair wants to start. He is due to make 9 mil this season. You aren't going to pay anyone that much to hold the clipboard. He will not be a Texan.

Is it his choice or the Titans choice on where he gets traded?

Kaiser Toro
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Makes no sense, other than leverage against Bud Adams and taking the shine off of his new QB from Houston.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
It doesn't even matter who's choice it is as far as the Texans are concerned. The guy wants to start for at least another 2 years. We just extended Carr's contract. Are we now going to bench him in favor of McNair?

texan279
05-09-2006, 08:43 AM
from www.kffl.com

Titans | Talks with Baltimore cool off; team may retain McNair
Mon, 8 May 2006 14:37:46 -0700

TitansRadio.com reports the Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens have not contacted each other since draft weekend about disgruntled QB Steve McNair. With trade talks on ice, head coach Jeff Fisher spoke of going in a different direction with McNair and making an effort to bring him back. ''I think Baltimore's window came and left,'' Fisher said. ''I think the next step is to try to communicate with [McNair] and see if we can work something out.''

Why would we be interested in McNair? We probably couldn't afford him anyway...

Exascor
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Makes no sense, other than leverage against Bud Adams and taking the shine off of his new QB from Houston.Agreed 100%

geofb
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
The Titans have no leverage. Unless someone offers them something (almost anything) or McNair agrees to much less money, the Titans are going to be forced to cut him loose anyway. Any team interested should just wait until he is cut.

I can't imagine why we would need or want him. Overrated, often injured, way over the hill. No thanks.

It's great to see this kind of turmoil in the Titan camp though. Here with the Texans I think we have reason for optimism in the fairly short term (2-3 years ahead). I think the Titans are in for a pretty rough spell in the short term and, hopefully (with Bud working his majic), in the long term as well. I just hope the Titans can perform well enough over the next couple of years to avoid getting the top pick in the draft. They might use the pick to stumble onto a future hall of famer that could help turn them around. Though with their pick of Vince Young as an indication, they might blow that opportunity as well. Hopefully Vince won't be a total bust and can stay healthy enough to perform as a below average QB for many years to come.

El Tejano
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Nobody'd job in Houston is safe. Ah Ha Ha Ha!

J/k Steve Mcnair is not coming here.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't think we have enough cap to sign him and besides we've already got a great backup QB in Sage :rolleyes: I'd see us go after Ty Law before we trade for Steve McNair.

OzzO
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Previously the Titans were looking to trade off McNair before his bonus came due (I think) and they were holding his cards as he was still under contract, so they were trying to get with the Ravens to work a deal. Seems like they got a little too greedy (5th round vs. 4th round) and now they'd better have a smooth sales person (not Bud) to work with Steve if they're gonna restructure him... again.

I think the Ravens are just gonna hold out till he gets cut to make the deal and keep their picks. Agree with above though, I don't think he'll be coming here to backup Carr at his cost nor have Carr back him up with the extension just signed.... but then again, you never know.

TEXANRED
05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I know there is not a snowballs chance, but I would love Steve McNair to come back home. I think Carr could learn an awfull lot from a guy like Steve. Just to bad McNair is dead set on starting.

O well.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I know there is not a snowballs chance, but I would love Steve McNair to come back home. I think Carr could learn an awfull lot from a guy like Steve. Just to bad McNair is dead set on starting.

O well.

And we would finally have some competition for Carr at QB. I think that if we bring McNair in he will atleast put a little pressure on Carr for the starting job but even more McNair would be able to teach Carr like you said. If he goes to Baltimore he will have fun because they have to solid recievers in Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton.

wicked_wayz
05-09-2006, 09:29 AM
i jus got off the raven site and they confirmed that mcnair is a done deal so its too late for us to get him (thank god)

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
i jus got off the raven site and they confirmed that mcnair is a done deal so its too late for us to get him (thank god)

What'd they say? Are you sure it's confirmed? All I know is that they've agreed to a deal but I don't think Baltimore and Tennessee have agreed in compensation yet, like with us and the Eric Moulds trade.

real
05-09-2006, 09:38 AM
He's better than Sage Rosenfels.
and Carr...

Koolaid Time
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Just heard John Clayton on Mike and Mike in the morning

Why would we want McNair in the first place?

bdiddy
05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
McNair for Todd Wade and a 6th rounder.

Kaiser Toro
05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
McNair for Todd Wade and a 6th rounder.

I would pass. We take the hit regardless for Wade wther we release him or tarde him. Moreover, I am not about to give away any picks with a huge dead cap hit with Walker and potentiallly Wade.

In my opinion there will be limited free agency acquistions for us next year.

Runner
05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I would pass. We take the hit regardless for Wade wther we release him or tarde him. Moreover, I am not about to give away any picks with a huge dead cap hit with Walker and potentiallly Wade.

In my opinion there will be limited free agency acquistions for us next year.

I think we already 'tarded when we gave him the big signing bones. :)

I agree free agency will be probably be limited next year due to dead money; that is the cost of recovering from past mistakes. The good news is we'll have a more consistent roster for two years due to lower turnover, and the dead money will be gone the following year.

Kaiser Toro
05-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I think we already 'tarded when we gave him the big signing bones. :)

I agree free agency will be probably be limited next year due to dead money; that is the cost of recovering from past mistakes. The good news is we'll have a more consistent roster for two years due to lower turnover, and the dead money will be gone the following year.

Sorry for the Ferens, err Freudian, slip. :)

the wonger need food
05-09-2006, 11:19 AM
McNair is a much better QB than Carr, even at his age. There's no doubt that he would win the starting job if he came here.

It's great to see that the Texans want to win now and not wait another 4 years for Carr to possibly be an average NFL quarterback.

Kaiser Toro
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
McNair is a much better QB than Carr, even at his age. There's no doubt that he would win the starting job if he came here.

It's great to see that the Texans want to win now and not wait another 4 years for Carr to possibly be an average NFL quarterback.

I am not a fan of Carr's resume to date, but I am not about to jump on the McNair is better train at this station of his career.

TexanFan881
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Antowain Smith for the Reggie Bush fans and Steve McNair for the Vince Young fans?

dalemurphy
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm one of the bigger Carr defenders on this board. However, if we can get McNair for a good price, I would love to see that happen. I believe McNair, when healthy, is one of the three best QBs in the NFL. I have absolutely no problem sitting Carr down behind a winner like McNair.

rittenhouserobz
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Just like wonger's profile reads below his name 9-7. I wonder if Carr will have anything to do with the Texans achieving a winning record? I geuss since Carr is average, that means Kris Brown will have to score all the points while the defense stops every TD.

I honestly think this is the year Carr becomes a true leader and starts winning games for the Texans. IMHO

powerfuldragon
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm one of the bigger Carr defenders on this board. However, if we can get McNair for a good price, I would love to see that happen. I believe McNair, when healthy, is one of the three best QBs in the NFL. I have absolutely no problem sitting Carr down behind a winner like McNair.

i agree with that, however i doubt stevo will go anywhere for less than several million dollars. i don't want to see the texans slinging too much more money around. we've gotta be able to keep who we have/need.

FILO_girl
05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I am not a fan of Carr's resume to date, but I am not about to jump on the McNair is better train at this station of his career.

Good post.

I can not see where S McNair would want to come here, we have Davy Franchise signed, as well as Rosenfels (am still confused on that one). While I think the Carr/McNair fight to start would be a interesting one (hey, that may even drag back those VY and RB PSL owners who abandoned there seats :crutch: ) I can't see the Texans signing both to big money. There just ain't any cash for Steve, sorry.

I would love to see them compete too. Would sure give Kubes 'don't want anyone to get comforable' statement some new legs!!

texan279
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
i agree with that, however i doubt stevo will go anywhere for less than several million dollars. i don't want to see the texans slinging too much more money around. we've gotta be able to keep who we have/need.

Baltimore was offering him 12 million for one season...

powerfuldragon
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
if i was him, i'd take it.

chuckm
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Baltimore was offering him 12 million for one season...

does Maryland have a state tax? lol:

whiskeyrbl
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Could'nt se McNair coming here to be a backup when he can start in Baltimore. Plus good ole Bud Adams would try to rape us on compensation. Never happen.

Hookem Horns
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I think McNair would be a good fit. He can start for the next 2 seasons until Carr is ready to start at the NFL level. :)

texanfan2002114
05-09-2006, 12:51 PM

nevermind, i can't find the link

Bullpen Drew
05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
He can be Tony Banks, jr??