PDA

View Full Version : One of the possible reasons Casserly didnt pick RB.

ClintonPortis26
05-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Desmond Howard/HB/Michigan

He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect" Here in Washington. He was the Heisman Trophy Winner and you could utilize him both in Run/Pass/KR/PR game. The only thing he did in his career was help the Green Bay packers an return KR for them. He was suppose to be THE RUNNING BACK" Of the Redskins and really screwed us over...along with Heath Shuler, Micheal Westbrook, and Andre Johnson but thats a diffrent story...

Just was thinking of the reasons why Charlie Casserly might of passed on him...

Anway, I think Charlie could of picked either Reggie Bush or Mario Williams and make the right choice. Especially with the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans in your division.

BigDTexansFan
05-07-2006, 10:07 AM

Anway, I think Charlie could of picked either Reggie Bush or Mario Williams and make the right choice. Especially with the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans in your division.

Super Mario was only choice with Colts and Jacksonville in our division...harass and distract until he gives DRob 10 picks:redtowel:

MorKnolle
05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Casserly "passed" on Bush because he and Kubiak thought Mario Williams was the best player for this team, and I agree with them on that.

HeroTime
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM

He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect" Here in Washington. He was the Heisman Trophy Winner and you could utilize him both in Run/Pass/KR/PR game. The only thing he did in his career was help the Green Bay packers an return KR for them. He was suppose to be THE RUNNING BACK" Of the Redskins and really screwed us over...along with Heath Shuler, Micheal Westbrook, and Andre Johnson but thats a diffrent story...

Minor error. Desmond Howard was a WR not a RB. Now back to your regular program.

Wolf
05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout132.html

here is another one

Napa Auto Parts
05-07-2006, 04:48 PM
dont mean to stir up the pot but the only reason and i mean the only reason we passed on bush was money dont get me wrong i love the pick i never wanted bush. but like i said it was all about money.

LORK 88
05-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Because Kubiak is an offensive minded coach and has made studs out of decent RBs. He can work magic on our offense, but he needs better players on defense to help him out in that area.

TexanFan881
05-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Casserly "passed" on Bush because he and Kubiak thought Mario Williams was the best player for this team, and I agree with them on that.

I think that's a more reasonable reason :mario:

TexansTrueFan
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
ORRRRR,,,,A BIG ORRRR :),,,,MAYBE just MAYBE its cause the Front Office thought we already had a very good young RB. I mean that could have been a possibility,,,ya think !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORK 88
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
ORRRRR,,,,A BIG ORRRR :),,,,MAYBE just MAYBE its cause the Front Office thought we already had a very good young RB. I mean that could have been a possibility,,,ya think !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? No Way!! Whats Domanick Davis done other than come 24 yards shy of being 1 of only 5 players in NFL History to rush for 1000 yards in their 1st 3 seasons . . . :heh:

ClintonPortis26
05-07-2006, 07:29 PM

A very good running back is Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Clinton Portis(24). Plus its not like Dominic Davis is not inreplaceable hes so good homer...

Im not trying to stir anything up, I just posted why I thought he might of done it. Then over emotional people like this come and start being sarcastic and start pissin me off.

Back on subject.

LoneStarState
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
We're probably going to wishing we'd drafted some sort of RB about 1/2 through the season when DD goes down for whatever reason. Not trying to stir the pot - just going with what's happened during every season DD's been on the team...

MadBurgerMaker
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
We're probably going to wishing we'd drafted some sort of RB about 1/2 through the season when DD goes down for whatever reason. Not trying to stir the pot - just going with what's happened during every season DD's been on the team...

The Texans drafted Wali Lundy, RB from Virginia.

Edit: Oh..and dont forget about Morency. He'll be there if DD gets injured.

thunderkyss
05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect"

IMO, when looking at a prospect, especially #1 overall.... you can't look at the "bust factor"....... You look at him.. & decide if you can use what he has to win football games.

It's up to that team, to put the prospect in a position to succeed. Now you have the headcases..... Rikki Williams..... and the players who refuse to take their game to the next level........ Desmond Howard........ fast... elusive...... didn't want to run routes, or learn to catch.

Looking at Reggie, most people are thinking he's ready. He doesn't have much, if anything to learn.

Looking at Mario...... he's got it all..... Power... Speed.....versatility.... He too brings something to the game, that will help win football games. Also, a #1 prospect.

I think there was an interview of McNair(I don't have the link) where he says it was Kubiaks decision.... He said Kubiak put his coaches in two different rooms. Told them to put together an offensive & a deffensive package..... he said to show him what the team would look like with that player, and then what it would look like without.

There was a bigger gap in the deffensive package with/without Mario. He decided to pick Mario with the #1 overall.

We will score points guys..... & we will win games without Reggie Bush.

thunderkyss
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
A very good running back is Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Clinton Portis(24). Plus its not like Dominic Davis is not inreplaceable hes so good homer...

Im not trying to stir anything up, I just posted why I thought he might of done it. Then over emotional people like this come and start being sarcastic and start pissin me off.

Back on subject.

Domanicks Rookie year was better than all those guys.

Except Clinton Portis...... but he was in Denver.

DD is also a little more verstile than Clinton.... in just three years, DD has more recieving yards than Clintion has in 4.

Clinton's the man.... I won't deny.. he's amazing..... fast..... explosive.... but DD is just as good.. but different.... not as fast... not as explosive, but he'll get you the same yards... and maybe a little more. Maybe.

Ibar_Harry
05-07-2006, 08:16 PM

DD is also a little more verstile than Clinton.... in just three years, DD has more recieving yards than Clintion has in 4.

Clinton's the man.... I won't deny.. he's amazing..... fast..... explosive.... but DD is just as good.. but different.... not as fast... not as explosive, but he'll get you the same yards... and maybe a little more. Maybe.

Given all of the film he has watched, I bet Kubiak knows that too.

Wolf
05-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I honestly believe that we had to go to the trenches in the draft sooner or later.. It is a double edge sword for this franchise, we continue to draft skill positions early on and all through the season we gripe about the OL/DL.. but when we draft that way we are griping about not getting a skill position player...

it is basically a no-win situation when you are losing

TexansTrueFan
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM

yeah very good post. I mean D.D a 4th round no body to what he is now,,,,thats a real success story,,,plus he is AWESOME !!!!

TexanBorn51
05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I remember reading this editorial in a magazine named Slate(Slate.com). Take it for what it's worth...for better or for worse. I think it's better energy worrying about keeping Carr from getting hurt than DD.

Empty Backfield
Why running backs are overrated.
By Aaron Schatz Posted Wednesday, Sept1,2004, at 5:00 PM ET

It's guys like you, Ricky, who are overrated

When Ricky Williams retired last month, it was thought to be a massive blow to the Miami Dolphins. After all, in his two years with the team, Williams ran for 3,225 yards and carried the ball more times than an NFL running back ever had in a two-year period. Even so, Miami should consider itself lucky to be rid of him. If the Dolphins can get over the emotional hurdle of losing their workhorse, they'll soon figure out that he wasn't as important as they thought. That's because the star running back is the most overrated player in football.
Everywhere you look, the running back is exalted. Coaches and announcers talk about the importance of giving the ball to a star runner early and late in the game. Fantasy football, typically structured to make running backs far and away the most important players, leaves fans obsessed with identifying the next "stud back."

But in reality, a good passing game is always more important than a good running game

thunderkyss
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
But in reality, a good passing game is always more important than a good running game

Now that's just silly. You want to win championships?? You have to run the ball, and you have to be able to stop the run.

Something the Colts forget in the post season.

wicked_wayz
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
What? No Way!! Whats Domanick Davis done other than come 24 yards shy of being 1 of only 5 players in NFL History to rush for 1000 yards in their 1st 3 seasons . . . :heh:

have you forgotten that davis has done it without an offensive line and now that we got kubiak who has worked wonders with UNDRAFTED running backs, imagine what he and sherman can do with davis

Brandon420tx
05-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Lork had a hint of sarcasm in his post.

TexanBorn51
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Now that's just silly. You want to win championships?? You have to run the ball, and you have to be able to stop the run.

Something the Colts forget in the post season.
That was the mags quote not mine but I think some of the point being said is that alot of emphasis is on an elite running back being the save for these games and without that player it's downhill. Well if DD ever did get hurt we do have other running backs complimented with a good passing game if that is we protect the QB. Another example is Barry Sanders probably the most elite of all but did he or they ever make it to the Spuer Bowl. Ah yes and defense is definitely a huge part of the formula. Texans I still say 9 (or more)-9.

thunderkyss
05-07-2006, 09:13 PM
That was the mags quote not mine but I think some of the point being said is that alot of emphasis is on an elite running back being the save for these games and without that player it's downhill. Well if DD ever did get hurt we do have other running backs complimented with a good passing game if that is we protect the QB. Another example is Barry Sanders probably the most elite of all but did he or they ever make it to the Spuer Bowl. Ah yes and defense is definitely a huge part of the formula. Texans I still say 9 (or more)-9.
I knew that wasn't your quote.... I wasn't saying you were silly, just that idea that I quoted.

But... What's the Hardest job in the NFL??

IMHO, it's the backup QB..... he's got to come into a game(cold) and perform..... he's still expected to win. He doesn't have the luxury of a RB, or a WR, whose role may be increased, if the guy in front of him goes down....... He comes in cold, and has to do it.

DeadEagle
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
have you forgotten that davis has done it without an offensive line and now that we got kubiak who has worked wonders with UNDRAFTED running backs, imagine what he and sherman can do with davis

That is probably why they passed on Bush. Kubiak does have a track record of making studs out of mid/late round talent, and it starts with the OLine. The pickups of Spencer and Winston will eventually help the offense, and in the mean time, Williams and Ryans will will be making stops on defense..... which from my view.... didn't happen often enough.

TexanBorn51
05-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah okay I was just making sure on communication. Anyways you are so right about that backup QB. I'm gald or they're glad that we're okay there with vet Sage and Ragone not to mention a little sleeper in my book Matt. Of course will they all be signed only time will tell. And to the other post about OL we sure seem to be looking good at least better than before. I can't see anyone really complaining only suggesting things because all in all the Texans are moving forward and in my opinion moving forward pretty good. That to me (forward) is what will win games.

Oilers/Texans
05-07-2006, 10:32 PM
The pick was about the Texans beleiving that Mario was the best choice to make this team better. I do not agree with that, I think Bush would have been the better pick, but I can respect their choice because they were doing what they beleive will benefit the team the most. This thing was not about money, it was a football decision only.

TexansTrueFan
05-07-2006, 10:35 PM
its good to see now that the draft is over,,,there are more D.D supporters. People jumping back on the D.D bandwagon. I love sport politics !

LORK 88
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Lork had a hint of sarcasm in his post.

Just a bit, but im glad someone picked up on it . . .

Oilers/Texans
05-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Also, the pick had nothing to do with Domanick Davis. Davis is a great back, but just because he is great there is nothing wrong with getting another one to go along with him. Davis was not going to be gone if Bush was picked.

TexansTrueFan
05-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Also, the pick had nothing to do with Domanick Davis. Davis is a great back, but just because he is great there is nothing wrong with getting another one to go along with him. Davis was not going to be gone if Bush was picked.

but that would be alot of money invested in our backfield, and i was actually quite impressed with Morency last season !

TexanFan881
05-07-2006, 11:07 PM
but that would be alot of money invested in our backfield, and i was actually quite impressed with Morency last season !

With getting Mario Williams we have invested even more money in our Dline...:confused:

TexanBorn51
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I also hear and may add that we may also sign 10 yr vet Antowain Smith a fair productive experience RB. He's from the Saints and U of H.

TexanFan881
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I also hear and may add that we may also sign 10 yr vet Antowain Smith a fair productive experience RB. He's from the Saints and U of H.

Ya it sounds like we will sign him and he will probably be our #2 RB and I think he could get some playing time considering DD's durability issues. With Denver's running system I think he could do better than his 4.0 ypc last year.

TexanBorn51
05-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Antowain Smith recorded 659 yards and three TDs in 16 games (seven starts) this season in New Orleans. He saw more action in the absence of Deuce McAllister, who missed most of the season due to an injured knee.
Hey TexanFan881 I really like that quote "Just wait until our offense moulds"
I see myself using it if you kindly don't mind...lol

TexanFan881
05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Antowain Smith recorded 659 yards and three TDs in 16 games (seven starts) this season in New Orleans. He saw more action in the absence of Deuce McAllister, who missed most of the season due to an injured knee.
Hey TexanFan881 I really like that quote "Just wait until our offense moulds"
I see myself using it if you kindly don't mind...lol

Thanks man you can use it no problem :thumbup

ClintonPortis26
05-08-2006, 09:57 PM

DD can catch the ball better than Portis you mean. Sorry, Redskins homerism kicking in there. Just had to point that out cuase Portis takes linebackers off their feet.