PDA

View Full Version : Awesome article on Mario Williams character.

Janus3
05-06-2006, 04:08 AM
if this is a repost, my apologies, but it is a good read.

at the bottom

The biggest surprise concerning Williams? The defensive end's dream day nearly didn't happen.

Williams pledged to quit football three years ago in order to provide for his sister, her young son and unborn baby after Sgt. Nicholas Hodson, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade was killed in a Humvee accident during Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 22, 2003.

It turns out Williams is in the best possible position to fulfill his promise after signing his new contract because his sister urged him to fulfill his football promise.

"The war started on the 19th and Nick died on the 22nd near Nasiriyah," Michelon Hodson says.

"After Nick passed, as soon as they told Mario at college, he came to my grandmother's house where I was five months' pregnant and my oldest son was 15 months.

"Mario touched my hand and said, 'Missy, I'll give it all up. I'll quit football and I'll work at McDonald's. He said, 'I'll take care of Marius and your baby.'

Hodson, 26, fought back tears as she spoke.

"I said, 'Mario, if you want to do something for me, then you go and be the best you can be and you make that big money and you will take care of us,' she says. "He was willing to give up his dream for something I needed."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2006-04-30-williams-pledge_x.htm

wicked_wayz
05-06-2006, 04:29 AM
mario is the legit im for 1 am glad we chose him regardless of how talented bush is but neva forgetting what RAY LEWIS said in 2000 "DEFENCE WINZ CHAMPIONSHIP"

SAMURAITEXAN
05-06-2006, 05:09 AM
It is a nice post. But yes it has been posted a several days ago.

gtexan02
05-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Not to be a stick in the mud, but offering to take care of your sister and give up football.....well, lets just say it isn't on par with the DeMeco Ryans gestures. I hope he isn't looking to get paid and then ditch us.

Had to edit this, cause I wrote it in a bad mood. I think the offer, if as genuine as the sportswriters are making it out to be, is pretty awesome. It takes a lot of guts to give up something you love and sacrifice for another person. That being said, when I hear about the type of charity that players have actually accomplished, like DeMeco Ryans and his hurricane relief efforts, for example, I can't help but feel that they really went way above and beyond anyone else.

Stampede
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Not to be a stick in the mud, but offering to take care of your sister and give up football.....well, lets just say it isn't on par with the DeMeco Ryans gestures. I hope he isn't looking to get paid and then ditch us
Seems this event took place some 3 yrs ago. If he was going to quit football and take care of his sister he would have done so long before now. He and his sister are set for life because of football. I wish him all the best and many Pro-Bowls. Go Texans!

HJam72
05-06-2006, 09:07 AM
What his sister needs him to do is make money and now he's doing it (to say the least).

gtexan02
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Seems this event took place some 3 yrs ago. If he was going to quit football and take care of his sister he would have done so long before now. He and his sister are set for life because of football. I wish him all the best and many Pro-Bowls. Go Texans!

What I meant by this was, his sister said stick with football until you make the big bucks (signs an NFL contract with guaranteed money). Now that he's done that, I was hoping he wasn't going to ditch us and take his guaranteed money and leave. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic, but please don't take it literally either. I know he's not just going to walk away (plus you can't, as R. Williams showed). Anyway, dumb post, all future readers please disregard everything I've said in this thread :hides:

Ibar_Harry
05-06-2006, 10:25 AM
What I meant by this was, his sister said stick with football until you make the big bucks (signs an NFL contract with guaranteed money). Now that he's done that, I was hoping he wasn't going to ditch us and take his guaranteed money and leave. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic, but please don't take it literally either. I know he's not just going to walk away (plus you can't, as R. Williams showed). Anyway, dumb post, all future readers please disregard everything I've said in this thread :hides:

A time or two I have tried to say something and people understood what I was trying to say, but it certainly didn't come out right. I can certainly understand the frustration, because once its posted its out there for everyone to see.

rittenhouserobz
05-06-2006, 11:09 AM
What a truly wonderful story. I hope he plays well and I wish his sister the best.