PDA

View Full Version : WOW....Kinda suprising???

TexansR#1
05-05-2006, 04:32 PM
"Anthony Weaver, who got big money to play defensive end, will play tackle."

^Kinda suprising thought he was going to play DE.. guess they have different plans and could spell the end of Payne.

Also...

"OT Todd Wade's career may be over due to a knee injury. He was a big-time free-agent mistake."

^ Sounds like the knee is in shambles... must have been worse than previously thought .. well thats probaly why they signed that new OT ( Cant remember name ) ... Oh well another FA blunder from the old coaching.
:brickwall
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/05/20_million_for.html

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Oy. I guess they like Babin or Peek? our line will look something like this, then I guess:

Babin/Peek
Smith/Johnson/Weaver
Williams

Dunta_23
05-05-2006, 04:47 PM
It will have both positive and negative reaction across the line....

With Weaver at DE, we have 2 mosters on the corner that both have the ability to get to the QB, and stuff the run (only Mario as a "speed" guy"

With Weaver at DT you get Mario + a Speed guy on the ends but only 2 of TJ, Robaire, Payne, Weaver in the game at 1 time...

dwilt72
05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure this means Payne is going anywhere. After cutting Ioane and Deloach, they only have 3 DT's.....Payne, Robaire and Travis Johnson.

hollywood_texan
05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Maybe Weaver will play DT and DE, but just listed as DT?

I read on a scouting report that Mario can play any DT or DE.

Maybe this just means they are going to have guys rotating so that they are fresh. It's good to have 6 or 7 guys for the front seven that can rotate during the game.

bigTEXan8
05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Kind of sucks for Wade; never want to see someone leave the game because of injury. Best to him and his family. Weaver at DT could give opposing o-lines some problems, becuase he's a little faster than most DTs. I just hope he can hold his own in the middle.

Errant Hothy
05-05-2006, 05:34 PM
If they are moving Weaver to DT, either Peek or Babin must have impressed somebody and impressed them something fierce.

Sad to see Wade leave to an injury, but it was pretty heavially rumored he was going to be gone regardless. Does the injury entitle him to some kind of settlement, and if it does will it effect the cap?

mancunian
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
they did say Weaver would move inside on passing downs anyway.

Porky
05-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I dunno. I am dubious of this report. Justice isn't the most insightful chap on football. I think that Weaver lines up at end in running situations, and moves inside to tackle on passing downs. I think on running downs, we see a lineup like Weaver, R. Smith, T. Johnson, M. Williams, and on passing downs, I envision M. Williams, Weaver, T. Johnson, and Babin left to right. Of course, Peak and Payne will figure in as well depending on match-up, injuries, and of course people will need a blow from time to time. That's a pretty stout line imo. :superman:

mancunian
05-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I dunno. I am dubious of this report. Justice isn't the most insightful chap on football. I think that Weaver lines up at end in running situations, and moves inside to tackle on passing downs. I think on running downs, we see a lineup like Weaver, R. Smith, T. Johnson, M. Williams, and on passing downs, I envision M. Williams, Weaver, T. Johnson, and Babin left to right. Of course, Peak and Payne will figure in as well depending on match-up, injuries, and of course people will need a blow from time to time. That's a pretty stout line imo. :superman:

There's a bit of depth and I guess the players will rotate in and out. I'd agree about the passing/running downs. Dont forget Kalu is still in the mix as well.

TEXANRED
05-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Dont forget Kalu is still in the mix as well.
Kalu did have 14 1/2 sacks before he got hurt. Now he is two years removed from the injury. If he responds well we are going to have ourselves one monster of a DE.

Did anyone else get the feeling Justice kinda thru in the towel with his little blurb. Almost like we hurt his feelings.

I almost feel bad......

I did say almost.

aj.
05-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I didn't read the blog but it's my understanding that Weaver will move inside mainly in passing situations. Even though Ioane and DeLoach were released, we still have Robaire, TJ, and Seth Payne in the rotation at tackle.

Wade was a disaster from the get go - injury notwithstanding. One of the worst financial decisions made by this franchise. Ten million dollar signing bonus and cut two years later. He and Walker received 21 million in signing bonus two years ago and they will both be gone and haunt our cap through '07. It's Morlon Greenwood on a grander scale.

Porky
05-05-2006, 06:33 PM
There's a bit of depth and I guess the players will rotate in and out. I'd agree about the passing/running downs. Dont forget Kalu is still in the mix as well.

Doh! :homer:

I did forget Kalu! Well I guess the question is how many Dlineman will we keep. Including Kalu, we have 7 that can definetely play in this league. Not sure what the standard is around the league, but 6-7 seems about right. You need to rotate these guys in and out, as they tire quickly going up against these olineman, plus down and distance considerations. Kalu, along with Peek and Babin, are strictly ends. Payne, TJ, and Smith are strictly tackles. Weaver and Williams can play inside or end. There is a ton of flexibility and depth here, and if everything pans out, I see the dline as the real strength of the team this year.

aj.
05-05-2006, 06:46 PM
fwiw, Smith started '05 with 4 DE's and 3 DT's last year.

Project that to the Texans current roster and the DTs are Robaire, TJ, and Seth; the DE's are Weaver, Kalu, Mario, and either Peek or Babin. I have a sneaky suspicion that they will try to work a trade for Peek. He hasn't signed his tender, there's probably a few 3-4 teams that could be interested, and Babin has less trade value.

Ibar_Harry
05-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Kalu did have 14 1/2 sacks before he got hurt. Now he is two years removed from the injury. If he responds well we are going to have ourselves one monster of a DE.

Did anyone else get the feeling Justice kinda thru in the towel with his little blurb. Almost like we hurt his feelings.

I almost feel bad......

I did say almost.

No, most of the article was a rant on why he's right.............

bdiddy
05-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Once again Justice is reporting half the truth. Weaver will slide over to play DT on obvious passing situation. He will continue to play DE on running downs.

PapaL
05-05-2006, 07:43 PM
So it seems like all of our DL have played both DE and DT. Now exactly a bad thing. Have the beef out there on running plays, speed on passing plays.

Grid
05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
A couple people called it in another thread.. they said they thought Weaver might be moved to tackle considering his run stopping abilities.

I dunno..I was kinda looking forward to seeing if he could be a great DE for us since he didnt really flourish in the 3-4.

Guess its a good thing though cause now we get Peek or Babin on the other side..which should improve our passrush. Hope Weaver can handle the inside.

wicked_wayz
05-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Maybe Weaver will play DT and DE, but just listed as DT?

I read on a scouting report that Mario can play any DT or DE.

Maybe this just means they are going to have guys rotating so that they are fresh. It's good to have 6 or 7 guys for the front seven that can rotate during the game.

will babin and peek start? all i know is that wong, sam cowart, demeco ryans, greenwood and shatee orr are filling the line backer duties while weaver, williams, payne,smith, kalu and travis johnson takes the d line. so where does that leave babin and peek? these two are great playmakers that needs to be on the field.
by the way they say williams could be used as a DT but i hope he remains at DE cause thats the position he refers best.

Grid
05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I think some people are overestimating Kalu.

wicked_wayz
05-05-2006, 08:39 PM

I almost feel bad......

I did say almost.

what happened to justice???????

aj.
05-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Kalu will be a backup DE and that's not an overestimation.

Kaiser Toro
05-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I think some people are overestimating Kalu.

Agreed. I am not holding my breath for him to be suited up for opening day.

thunderkyss
05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
A couple people called it in another thread.. they said they thought Weaver might be moved to tackle considering his run stopping abilities.

I dunno..I was kinda looking forward to seeing if he could be a great DE for us since he didnt really flourish in the 3-4.

Guess its a good thing though cause now we get Peek or Babin on the other side..which should improve our passrush. Hope Weaver can handle the inside.

Justice has no clue...... remember a month ago, he said we were drafting Vince, then a week ago he said we're drafting Reggie, then a couple days ago, he said Mario was the right choice all along.

I seriously doubt he has any idea what our D-line is going to look like. We've been saying Weaver will play a bit of DE, and a bit of DT....... it depends on the situation, how we match up, and how the opponents have responded to what we've been doing.

edo783
05-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Justice is a baseball guy, why would anyone with half a brain think he knows diddly about football? Not only that, I think he is just a whining bed wetter type.