PDA

View Full Version : Texans and our predicted schedule

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Now that the 2006 draft is in the books, and FA has settled down (a little), we should be able to look at the teams and make a more educated guess as to where we will stand at the end of the season. Our schedule is so tough that despite being vastly improved in 2006, I still think we still might have a losing record. Once calculating in my predictions for team chemistry by the end of the season, however, I think this is what will happen:

Eagles: Finished 2005 6-10. This team lost Terrell Owens, which could be a good or bad thing. They made key DL additions with Darren Howard and Broderick Buntley. On the OL, Winston Justice and MJG are great additions, but may not start game 1. Gaffney isn't much of a replacement for TO, but a healthy McNabb may make him better. This will be a tough game for the rebuilt Texans, Prediction: Loss

Colts: Finished 2005 13-3. Losing Edge was key, but they retained their passing attack and we didn't make any significant changes to our secondary. Our improved pass rush will definitely help, but facing them this early in the season in Indianopolis, Prediction = Loss

Redskins: Finished 2005 10-6. This is my pick for the NFC East, as they acquired a lot of offensive help to go along with their great defense. Also, they hired even better coaches than before. QB is the only position of concern, but with that defense, I don't predict too much difficulty. Prediction: Loss

Dolphins: Finished 2005 9-7. Picking up Culpepper was huge for them, but reports have indicated he may not be ready to play full strength until October. Couple this with the loss of Ricky Williams and some key members of their defensive secondary, and they may have a tough time in the beginning. They had a pretty good draft, going Safety and WR with Allen and Hagan, but I think the Texans will be able to hassle Harrington (if he's there) and thus Prediction = Win

Cowboys: Finished 2005 9-7. The Cowboys signed TO, which in an of itself should be enough to put any team over the top. By this week of the year, however, Bledsoe+Parcells+TO may = catastrophe. Our DL will be playing on all cyclinders by this time, and so we should hassle Bledsoe a lot. The loss of Ngyun + Poor Draft + Texans rivalry (I guarantee you we will try harder in this game than any of the others), I have to say...Prediction = Win (this one could go either way)

Jaguars: Finished 2005 12-4. They lost Akin Ayodele, but picked up some OL and DL help, along with another CB. Had an average draft, but nothing game changing. We always manage to play to their level, no matter how good they are that year, and being at home in battle red, Prediction = Win

Titans: Finished 2005 4-12. The Titans have had a very productive offseason so far, and had a very decent draft (if extremely risky!). I predict McNair will go to Baltimore, and Volek will be starting at this point in the season. We will be playing in Tennessee, but given their situation, Prediction = Win

Giants: Finished 2005 11-5. Signed Will Demps and Arrington. Manning and Barber will continue to play well, and Manning to Shockey (along with Sinorice Moss) will be our downfall. Prdiction = Loss

Jaguars: Finished 2005 12-4. See above, but playing Jacksonville, so I will give them the edge here, Prediction = Loss

Bills: Finished 2005 season at 5-11. They have now lost Milloy, Moulds, and had one of the seemingly worst drafts of any team. They replaced Milloy with Whitner, and Sam Adams with McCargo, but didn't make any significant improvements to their horrible OL. Prediction = Win

Jets: Finished 2005 4-12. Lost a lot key players, including Abraham, and Pennington and Martin are still huge question marks. They did solidify their line through the draft, but will lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, and thus Prediction = Win

Raiders: Finished 2005 4-12, They have now lost Collins and Woodson, and have only really added Brooks. Huff was a great addition, but they needed help at both HB and QB. I see some problems out West, and Prediction = Win

Titans: Finished 2005 4-12. See Above, although the Titans will be in Houston and I think by this point in time Young will be starting. He may not have a stellar rookie career, but something inside of him will go off like it did in the Rose Bowl, and he will want to prove something in Houston. This game will receive a lot of attention, but Young's winning ability will be enough, and Prediction = Loss

Patriots: Finished 2005 10-6. They lost some key players, but their coaches are amazing. No matter what happens to that team, they will always be a contender. Jackson was a great pickup in the middle of the second round to replace Givens. Maroney will be a great replacement for Dillon. Prediction = Loss

Colts: Finished 2005 13-3. See above, but I think the Colts will have clinched a playoff berth by this time, and we will be in Houston. Prediction = Win

Browns: Finished 2005 season 6-10. They have arguably the best chance of any team to go most improved. By this point in time, however, I think the Texans will be on a roll and will want to finish the season strong. Our team will be playing well together, and the Browns problems at QB will result into a Predictin = Win

Predicted Season Totals (minimum) -> predicted -> maximum: 6-10 -> 9-7 -> 10-6 :redtowel:

6-10 (View predicted, but losses to Miami, Dallas, and Cleveland)
9-7 (see Above)
10-6 (Win against Tennesse in Houston)

El Tejano
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
either way these results show improvement if what you say holds true. 6-10 with two 3 game win streaks is an improvement over any one of our seasons. 9-7 is a winning record for the first time. 10-6 basically says "Don't ever tell us who to draft again."

kastofsna
05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Dolphins: Finished 2005 9-7. Picking up Culpepper was huge for them, but reports have indicated he may not be ready to play full strength until October. Couple this with the loss of Ricky Williams and some key members of their defensive secondary, and they may have a tough time in the beginning. They had a pretty good draft, going Safety and WR with Allen and Hagan, but I think the Texans will be able to hassle Harrington (if he's there) and thus Prediction = Win
:pigfly:

whether it be culpepper or cleo lemon (who IMO would start over harrington), miami will dominate houston, sorry to say. the secondary is better than last year's, so that's not a good reason. loss of ricky williams? meet ronnie brown. :)

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
:pigfly:

whether it be culpepper or cleo lemon (who IMO would start over harrington), miami will dominate houston, sorry to say. the secondary is better than last year's, so that's not a good reason. loss of ricky williams? meet ronnie brown. :)

Based on what the media has been claiming, Culpepper will be ready in mid October. Also based on the contract agreement with Harrington, I think he will be the starter on the late September meeting. Carr and harrington are very familiary with each other, except I think Harrington has hit his ceiling arleady. How exactly is the secondary improved? In the past two years you've lost Surtain and Madison, two top corners in the league, and replaced them with Will Allen and rookie Allen. Meet Ronnie Brown, who, even through college, has never carried the full load. Thats why Ricky had such stellar numbers last year. Like I said, it will be close, but I think I give the edge to the Texans in this one, just because it'll be so early in the season

eltoro
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think we go past 5-11 this year with that schedule. The fish will most likely beat us at home and I don't think we are ready (yet) to take out the Colts. However, I would prefer your predictions come true!

TexansTrueFan
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
as much as i would like to agree or whatever on predictions i cant i mean honestly nobody knows how quickly this team will come together and everyone get on the same page. NOW we are much better than last year so we could go 16-0 or 0-16, nobody can really say at this point. All i know is that i am more excited about this year than any of the previous !!!!

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Everyone's responses have been "its impossible to tell." Well, obviously! :) But thats the fun of this, trying to guess the outcome based on all the information we currently have. We can't truly know until the season is over, but by then, there will be no predicting left to do! What do ya'll think of the predictions, given what we know?

MightyTExan
05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
We might have a winning streak when we play the Bills, Jets, Raiders, Titans.................

Ibar_Harry
05-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Now that the 2006 draft is in the books, and FA has settled down (a little), we should be able to look at the teams and make a more educated guess as to where we will stand at the end of the season. Our schedule is so tough that despite being vastly improved in 2006, I still think we still might have a losing record. Once calculating in my predictions for team chemistry by the end of the season, however, I think this is what will happen:

Eagles: Finished 2005 6-10. This team lost Terrell Owens, which could be a good or bad thing. They made key DL additions with Darren Howard and Broderick Buntley. On the OL, Winston Justice and MJG are great additions, but may not start game 1. Gaffney isn't much of a replacement for TO, but a healthy McNabb may make him better. This will be a tough game for the rebuilt Texans, Prediction: Loss

Colts: Finished 2005 13-3. Losing Edge was key, but they retained their passing attack and we didn't make any significant changes to our secondary. Our improved pass rush will definitely help, but facing them this early in the season in Indianopolis, Prediction = Loss

Redskins: Finished 2005 10-6. This is my pick for the NFC East, as they acquired a lot of offensive help to go along with their great defense. Also, they hired even better coaches than before. QB is the only position of concern, but with that defense, I don't predict too much difficulty. Prediction: Loss

Cowboys: Finished 2005 9-7. The Cowboys signed TO, which in an of itself should be enough to put any team over the top. By this week of the year, however, Bledsoe+Parcells+TO may = catastrophe. Our DL will be playing on all cyclinders by this time, and so we should hassle Bledsoe a lot. The loss of Ngyun + Poor Draft + Texans rivalry (I guarantee you we will try harder in this game than any of the others), I have to say...Prediction = Win (this one could go either way)

Jaguars: Finished 2005 12-4. They lost Akin Ayodele, but picked up some OL and DL help, along with another CB. Had an average draft, but nothing game changing. We always manage to play to their level, no matter how good they are that year, and being at home in battle red, Prediction = Win

Titans: Finished 2005 4-12. The Titans have had a very productive offseason so far, and had a very decent draft (if extremely risky!). I predict McNair will go to Baltimore, and Volek will be starting at this point in the season. We will be playing in Tennessee, but given their situation, Prediction = Win

Giants: Finished 2005 11-5. Signed Will Demps and Arrington. Manning and Barber will continue to play well, and Manning to Shockey (along with Sinorice Moss) will be our downfall. Prdiction = Loss

Jaguars: Finished 2005 12-4. See above, but playing Jacksonville, so I will give them the edge here, Prediction = Loss

Bills: Finished 2005 season at 5-11. They have now lost Milloy, Moulds, and had one of the seemingly worst drafts of any team. They replaced Milloy with Whitner, and Sam Adams with McCargo, but didn't make any significant improvements to their horrible OL. Prediction = Win

Jets: Finished 2005 4-12. Lost a lot key players, including Abraham, and Pennington and Martin are still huge question marks. They did solidify their line through the draft, but will lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, and thus Prediction = Win

Raiders: Finished 2005 4-12, They have now lost Collins and Woodson, and have only really added Brooks. Huff was a great addition, but they needed help at both HB and QB. I see some problems out West, and Prediction = Win

Titans: Finished 2005 4-12. See Above, although the Titans will be in Houston and I think by this point in time Young will be starting. He may not have a stellar rookie career, but something inside of him will go off like it did in the Rose Bowl, and he will want to prove something in Houston. This game will receive a lot of attention, but Young's winning ability will be enough, and Prediction = Loss

Patriots: Finished 2005 10-6. They lost some key players, but their coaches are amazing. No matter what happens to that team, they will always be a contender. Jackson was a great pickup in the middle of the second round to replace Givens. Maroney will be a great replacement for Dillon. Prediction = Loss

Colts: Finished 2005 13-3. See above, but I think the Colts will have clinched a playoff berth by this time, and we will be in Houston. Prediction = Win

Browns: Finished 2005 season 6-10. They have arguably the best chance of any team to go most improved. By this point in time, however, I think the Texans will be on a roll and will want to finish the season strong. Our team will be playing well together, and the Browns problems at QB will result into a Predictin = Win

Predicted Season Totals (minimum) -> predicted -> maximum: 6-10 -> 9-7 -> 10-6 :redtowel:

9-7 (see Above)

Eagles game I disagree. We will use our ends and play a contain game with pressure up the middle. McNair's nightmare so to speak. Win

Colts the game will be close, but Manning will not like what is happening with our rushing game and the loss of James will be felt and they will not have adjusted at this early point in the season. They will take us too lightly. Win

Redskins I agree will be a loss. Gibbs is one of the old guard and will not take us lightly. We will have a let down after beating the Colts. Loss

Dolphins I agree with you. We will have our feet on the ground after the loss to the Redskins and we will rededicate ourselves to playing the game. Win

Cowboys I agree this will be a very tough game against one of the best strategy coaches in the game. There will be a great deal of emotion surrounding the game. We will win this game or it will be a big time loss. Loss

Jaguars I agree with you. Win

Titans I agree with you. Win

Giants I don't agree with you. Manning will have a bad day because of our pass rush and he will prove to be like any other QB that has pressure. Our running and passing game will be clicking by this point in the season and Barber will begin to show his age. He disappears in some games. We will have a much better run defense this year. Win

Jaguars I will disagree with because we will have too many weapons by that point and firing on all cylinders, but it will be close. Lefty is the 1 QB we seemed to have caused a lot of trouble for. I think he fears us. Win

Bills, Jets, Raiders I agree. Win, Win, Win

Titans will not even be close at this point in the season on our home field. Our defense will be the surprise of the season. The Titans have a lot of growing to do this will not be their year and they won't have McNair to bring them from behind. Vince is good, but like Elway in his 1st year he will still be learning the game. Win

Pats by this time in the season will have a lot of injuries and their lack of depth will catch up with them. We will have simply too many weapons against them. Their coach is amazing, however, and could pull an upset. Win

Colts will be struggling at this point and the game is in Houston and we are on a run. The loss of the running game makes Manning extemely vulnerable and he is having temper tantrums over the lack of protection. He gets eaten alive by our defensive pressure and feels the pain of Payne up the middle. The Houston fans make the game a nightmare for him. Win

Bowns have our number and we will have a let down after beating the Colts. We will be regrouping after this game to enter the play offs. This team for some reason seems to have our number. Loss

I guess that means I believe 13 - 3 will be our record. That should get us into the playoffs. Who knows what we can do then, but don't be surprised.

real
05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
So we SWEEP the colts....??? I think your love for the texans has blinded you....13-3....I know anything can happen, but either you know something the rest of us don't or ur just NUTS....for the texans

Bobo
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM

9-7 (see Above)

You are fooling yourself. I will stick to my prediction -- Texans double their win total to 4-12.

Bobo
05-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Eagles game I disagree. We will use our ends and play a contain game with pressure up the middle. McNair's nightmare so to speak. Win

Colts the game will be close, but Manning will not like what is happening with our rushing game and the loss of James will be felt and they will not have adjusted at this early point in the season. They will take us too lightly. Win

Redskins I agree will be a loss. Gibbs is one of the old guard and will not take us lightly. We will have a let down after beating the Colts. Loss

Dolphins I agree with you. We will have our feet on the ground after the loss to the Redskins and we will rededicate ourselves to playing the game. Win

Cowboys I agree this will be a very tough game against one of the best strategy coaches in the game. There will be a great deal of emotion surrounding the game. We will win this game or it will be a big time loss. Loss

Jaguars I agree with you. Win

Titans I agree with you. Win

Giants I don't agree with you. Manning will have a bad day because of our pass rush and he will prove to be like any other QB that has pressure. Our running and passing game will be clicking by this point in the season and Barber will begin to show his age. He disappears in some games. We will have a much better run defense this year. Win

Jaguars I will disagree with because we will have too many weapons by that point and firing on all cylinders, but it will be close. Lefty is the 1 QB we seemed to have caused a lot of trouble for. I think he fears us. Win

Bills, Jets, Raiders I agree. Win, Win, Win

Titans will not even be close at this point in the season on our home field. Our defense will be the surprise of the season. The Titans have a lot of growing to do this will not be their year and they won't have McNair to bring them from behind. Vince is good, but like Elway in his 1st year he will still be learning the game. Win

Pats by this time in the season will have a lot of injuries and their lack of depth will catch up with them. We will have simply too many weapons against them. Their coach is amazing, however, and could pull an upset. Win

Colts will be struggling at this point and the game is in Houston and we are on a run. The loss of the running game makes Manning extemely vulnerable and he is having temper tantrums over the lack of protection. He gets eaten alive by our defensive pressure and feels the pain of Payne up the middle. The Houston fans make the game a nightmare for him. Win

Bowns have our number and we will have a let down after beating the Colts. We will be regrouping after this game to enter the play offs. This team for some reason seems to have our number. Loss

I guess that means I believe 13 - 3 will be our record. That should get us into the playoffs. Who knows what we can do then, but don't be surprised.

"When you wish ... upon a star ..."

Bobo
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
It's one thing to "root, cheer" and urge them to "try, try to win every game." That's part of being a fan. And you can even hope they go 13-3. But this team hasn't improved nearly enough to go 9-7. And 13-3? Please. This reminds me exactly of last year when folks were predicting the same kind of records and playoff appearances when they had absolutely no reason to do so. This kind of thing only sets Kubiak up for failure. If Kubiak gets, say, six wins (reasonable accomplishment, more than I think he'll get) then folks will say he failed because he didn't get them to a winning season. The expectations last year were way overblown and any prediction of more than six wins this year is pretty unrealistic.

TexansTrueFan
05-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Posts like this (Texans 13-3, 9-7) make me wonder about the overall intelligence of Texans fandom. I mean, it's one thing to "root, cheer" and urge them to "try, try to win every game." That's part of being a fan. But this team hasn't improved nearly enough to go 9-7. And 13-3? Please ...

ok buddy why are u even on this board let all the people have their fun ! yes some arent very realistic but oh well, its just like little kids wanting to be astronauts when they are little. Plus we do have a very improved team and i dont think i have ever heard anything positive from you, so if indeed ur a fan why dont u show some support from them every once in a while !

Htown34s
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Wow, talk about optimistic!

I think 6-10 will be about right. Kubiak isn't going to work miracles in just one off season.

dwilt72
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I think 6-10 is about as best we can hope for.....that video was depressing. It's a shame that RB won't be making those kinds of moves for us.

dwilt72
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I think 6-10 is about as best we can hope for.....that video was depressing. It's a shame that RB won't be making those kinds of moves for us.

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
How about this one then

Philadelphia - L
@ Indianapolis - L
Washington - L
Miami - W/L
@Dallas - W/L
Jacksonville - W
@Tennessee - W
@NY Giants - L
@Jacksonville - L
Buffalo - W
@NY Jets - W
@Oakland - W/L
Tennessee - L
@New England - L
Indianapolis - W/L
Cleveland - W/L

Worst record: 5-11, Best record: 9-7

dwilt72
05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
5-11....probably about right.

Bobo
05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
>its just like little kids wanting to be astronauts when they are little.

Oh, I get it. Unrealistic as all heck.

bigtex77
05-05-2006, 05:14 PM
You are fooling yourself. I will stick to my prediction -- Texans double their win total to 4-12.

I see no reason a 6 -7 win season is out of reach.

RWBinJax
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
It seems the Jaguars have little respect here. At best, we are at 1/1 in your predictions. I hope you are incorrect.

Also, our draft is rated at "average" at best, which may be so, but that means it was better than some others. The Jags only had six picks, starting at 28, and we fans think they did well with them. Also, FA is not over. June 1 sees the relaase of many players. We are far under cap.

I understand and appreciate the fact that the Texans are greatly improved via FA and the draft, but the Jaguars are still here. Don't count us out just yet.

I wish you the best of luck against everyone except the Jags.

Texans_Chick
05-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Everyone's responses have been "its impossible to tell." Well, obviously! :) But thats the fun of this, trying to guess the outcome based on all the information we currently have. We can't truly know until the season is over, but by then, there will be no predicting left to do! What do ya'll think of the predictions, given what we know?

I don't know too many people who know our team as well as I do. Not bragging, just sayin.

That being said, what any of us "know" about our team should be thrown out the window. You are fooling yourself if you think the information we have tells us much of anything.

We have some good players. We have a lot of untested parts-players, coaches, schemes. You can try to extrapolate from past performance but it is hard to do with everything that is new.

Generally speaking, I believe it is hard to change the inertia of losing. Even if you have all the perfect pieces in place--perfect coaching, players and scheme--it usually takes a while for people to get used to each other and a new role. Playing not thinking. My experience has been that teams that are used to playing together and having chemistry will, more often than not, beat teams that are not used to playing together, even if that second team has more talent.

If you try to take what you "know" about the Texans and project forward, you might be lost.

Is Phillip Buchanon a revolving door, or is he gonna look better in a new scheme with a decent pass rush. Do we have a decent pass rush? What is a Richard Smith defense really gonna look like? Aggressive? What does aggressive end up being?

David Carr had a OK season two years ago. Does he end up thriving in the Denver system or are we gonna see a mechanical guy who runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage and tries to do too much? Is the reconstituted line going to be good working together or is befuddlement going to ensue because of all the new people working together in a scheme that is reputedly hard to learn? How much can they be coached up to be able to deal with game speed.

It is hard to see through the prism and pain of trying to believe in the previous year (maybe wildcard?), and then getting whacked with a 2-14. Are we starting over, or do we have a bunch of guys who are ready for a better scheme? Does the new coaching staff have all the answers or are they boobs too or how much time does it take to start winning "immediately?"

And what about Naomi? [obscure]:redtowel:

Ibar_Harry
05-05-2006, 06:41 PM
It's one thing to "root, cheer" and urge them to "try, try to win every game." That's part of being a fan. And you can even hope they go 13-3. But this team hasn't improved nearly enough to go 9-7. And 13-3? Please. This reminds me exactly of last year when folks were predicting the same kind of records and playoff appearances when they had absolutely no reason to do so. This kind of thing only sets Kubiak up for failure. If Kubiak gets, say, six wins (reasonable accomplishment, more than I think he'll get) then folks will say he failed because he didn't get them to a winning season. The expectations last year were way overblown and any prediction of more than six wins this year is pretty unrealistic.

Just for the record if you will check you will find my prediction last year was right on and I was being lambasted for my pessimism. Yes, HC makes a huge difference and we really have 2 HC's working for us even though 1 is considered and assistant. Until I see something that warrants me to change my optomism I see no reason to do so.

So far every move they have made has increased my optomism. The changes in this ball club are fundamental and they include attitude. If you listen to Kubiak I think you will find he's one of the most brilliant football minds you have heard. Oh, yes, he does know what he's doing. I keep saying you are in for a big surprise, but we will just have to see if I'm right.

I have my opinion and you have yours. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The previous coaching staff in my opinion was incompetent beyond any measure. As a result we were an injury prone, anemic, pathetic ball club incapable of winning because the staff hindered and squashed any chance of success on the field. The truth of that statement will be born out with this year's play by the Texans.

Bobo
05-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Just for the record if you will check you will find my prediction last year was right on and I was being lambasted for my pessimism. Yes, HC makes a huge difference and we really have 2 HC's working for us even though 1 is considered and assistant. Until I see something that warrants me to change my optomism I see no reason to do so.

So far every move they have made has increased my optomism. The changes in this ball club are fundamental and they include attitude. If you listen to Kubiak I think you will find he's one of the most brilliant football minds you have heard. Oh, yes, he does know what he's doing. I keep saying you are in for a big surprise, but we will just have to see if I'm right.

I have my opinion and you have yours. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The previous coaching staff in my opinion was incompetent beyond any measure. As a result we were an injury prone, anemic, pathetic ball club incapable of winning because the staff hindered and squashed any chance of success on the field. The truth of that statement will be born out with this year's play by the Texans.

OK, so now you're blaming the coaching staff for injuries. That, I believe, is a first.

Ibar_Harry
05-05-2006, 07:11 PM
OK, so now you're blaming the coaching staff for injuries. That, I believe, is a first.

No, there have actually been some statements by others on the extent of the over conditioning of the Texans and that that did in fact contribute to the injuries we were seeing. Working out excessively in the heat can lead to breakdowns of the body. A number of players have been commenting on Kubiak's schedule as opposed to Caper's schedule. I have been also stating that for sometime as well. The number of injuries and the kinds of injuries we were seeing did not make sense. However, they now do. And yes, coaching probably had a lot to do with it.

hollywood_texan
05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't know too many people who know our team as well as I do. Not bragging, just sayin.

That being said, what any of us "know" about our team should be thrown out the window. You are fooling yourself if you think the information we have tells us much of anything.

We have some good players. We have a lot of untested parts-players, coaches, schemes. You can try to extrapolate from past performance but it is hard to do with everything that is new.

Generally speaking, I believe it is hard to change the inertia of losing. Even if you have all the perfect pieces in place--perfect coaching, players and scheme--it usually takes a while for people to get used to each other and a new role. Playing not thinking. My experience has been that teams that are used to playing together and having chemistry will, more often than not, beat teams that are not used to playing together, even if that second team has more talent.

If you try to take what you "know" about the Texans and project forward, you might be lost.

Is Phillip Buchanon a revolving door, or is he gonna look better in a new scheme with a decent pass rush. Do we have a decent pass rush? What is a Richard Smith defense really gonna look like? Aggressive? What does aggressive end up being?

David Carr had a OK season two years ago. Does he end up thriving in the Denver system or are we gonna see a mechanical guy who runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage and tries to do too much? Is the reconstituted line going to be good working together or is befuddlement going to ensue because of all the new people working together in a scheme that is reputedly hard to learn? How much can they be coached up to be able to deal with game speed.

It is hard to see through the prism and pain of trying to believe in the previous year (maybe wildcard?), and then getting whacked with a 2-14. Are we starting over, or do we have a bunch of guys who are ready for a better scheme? Does the new coaching staff have all the answers or are they boobs too or how much time does it take to start winning "immediately?"

And what about Naomi? [obscure]:redtowel:

That is a lot of football questions from a chick!

thunderkyss
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM

We will sweep the Colts.... mark my words. The first win, will be because they'll still be wondering what went wrong in the playoffs..... they'll be looking to beat us early, to get them back into the winning rhythm....... when we stomp that a.s.s. they'll be sent into a tailspin they won't recover from.

We're sweeping the Jags...... We're going to make Leftwhich look so bad they'll be screaming for Gerard..... next time we play them, we'll have them screaming for Leftwhich.

We're sweeping the Titans...... I shouldn't have to give any reasons..... you know it, I know it.... Fisher knows it.

We'll probably loose to the Giants, and the Raiders are going to impress everyone. Brooks to Moss....... you'll see them both in the proBowl. We'll be undefeated at home, and only lose three on the road..... Patriots, Raiders & the Giants....
We're going to win our division(duh) and will play in the AFC Championship game. I'm sorry, but my Magic 8 Ball keeps telling me to consult it at a later date.

TexanBorn51
05-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Between 1973-1980 it looks to me that they were able to change a 1-13 in 1973 to a 7-7 in 1974 then in 1975 a new coach named "Bum" made it 10-4.
1976-problems in 1977 8-6 but in 1978 were one game away from the Super Bowl. In 1979/80 was 11-5. man that "Tyler Rose" was really something special and the town back then went crazy. Stated by some here that think this fan base is too much cheer and root for a bigger than better record this season and nearby future seasons might want to check out the Oiler fan base me included back then. You see honestly I didn't think it would happen either.
1973: To say the Oilers season was miserable would be an understatement, as Coach Bill Peterson is fired after a 0-5 start. The Oilers whose record under Peterson was a humiliating 1-18, would be led the rest of the season by Hall of Fame Coach Sid Gilman. However, not even Gilman could help, as the Oilers lost their next 2 before beating the Colts 31-27 in Baltimore for their only win of the season, as they finished the season with a 1-13 record, being outscored 447-199 on the season.

1974: Sid Gilman remains head coach but hires Bum Philips to be the defensive coordinator so he could be groomed to replace him. The Oilers would start the season off by winning their first game at the Astrodome 21-14 over the San Diego Chargers. However, the Oilers would struggle losing their next 5 games, but this time the Oilers would recover by winning their next 4 on the way to finishing with a 7-7 record. Following the season Gilman would step down, and let Bum Phillips take over.

1975: In Bum Phillips first season as Coach the Oilers finally played competitive football again posting their first winning season in 7 years with a 10-4 record. However, all 4 losses were to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cincinnati Bengals who beat out the Oilers for the Division Title and Wild Card spot.

1976: The Oilers get off to another strong start at 4-1. However, the team's offensive struggles would catch up with them as they lost 6 in a row and 8 of 8 overall to close out the season with a disappointing 5-9 record.

1977: The Oilers get off on the right foot again winning 3 of their first 4 games, which was capped by a 27-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Astrodome. However, injuries would hamper the Oilers chances as they lost 5 of their next 6. Once some key players returned the Oilers would finish the season on a strong note to finish with an 8-6 record.

1978: Spurred by RB Earl Campbell who wins both the Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Offensive Player of the Year rushes for 1,450 yards, the Oilers make the playoffs with a 10-6 record, qualifying in the newly created 5th Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card Game the Oilers would travel to Miami where they stunned the Dolphins 17-9 to advance to the Divisional Playoffs. After beating the Dolphins the Oilers traveled to New England where they faced the Patriots before 61,297 chilly fans. However, the cold weather would not bother the Oilers 31-14 to earn a trip to Pittsburgh with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. However, the Oilers run would end in disappointment as they are blown out by the Steelers 34-5. Following the loss the Oilers are greeted by 50,000 loyal fans at the Astrodome holding signs saying "Love Ya Blue."

1979: Earl Campbell continues to establish himself as the best RB in the league winning the Offensive Player of the year again while claiming the NFL MVP, by rushing for an NFL best 1,697 yards, while scoring 19 TDs. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, qualifying for the playoffs as a Wild Card again. In the first playoff game at the Astrodome the Oilers beat the Denver Broncos 13-7, but lose several key players including RB Earl Campbell, and QB Dan Pastorini to injuries. Playing without Campbell and Pastorini in the Divisional Playoffs the Oilers backup would step it up as they beat the Chargers in San Diego 17-13, as Vernon Perry sets a playoff record by intercepting 4 passes. The Oilers would move to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh for a rematch with the Steelers. The Oilers appeared to have the game tied in the 3rd Quarter but Officials said Mike Renfro was out of bounds when replays clearly showed he got both feet in. The call would be a back breaker as the Oilers fell 27-13. Following the loss the Oilers would return home where 70,000 fans showed up early in the morning to greet them in another "Love Ya Blue" rally.

1980: Earl Campbell continues to be the rest runner in the NFL winning the rushing title again, and Offensive Player of the Year again with an amazing 1,934-yard season. His season was highlighted by consecutive 200-yard games as he narrowly misses a 2,000-yard season. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, as they had to settle for the Wild Card again after losing the division via tiebreaker. In the Wild Card Game at Oakland the Oilers were stymied by the Raiders all game losing 27-7, as their season is ended by the eventual Super Bowl Champion for the 3rd year in a row. However, Owner Bud Adams was not satisfied, and he would fire Coach Bum Philips, and replace him with Ed. :gotexans1

Stampede
05-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Good post TC!!

thunderkyss
05-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh, I wanted to add........ how many games do you think we would have won, if we were more aggresive?? If we weren't so predictable?? If one, maybe two balls weren't dropped?? If Buchannon would have made that one tackle??

Even as bad as we were, there were a bunch of little things that would have won us some games. We easilly could have been 10-6 last year..... easy.

I understand we were 2-14........ but we could've been 10-6.

jmerog
05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
the Texans will finish 9-7 or better this year and will take the colts the second time we meet. Mannings will have no running game and our defense will be gelling by that time. Prediction-manning tantrum and a win for us.
I predict a 10-6 season.

sk8termom
05-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Can I respond too - the Texans are my 2nd favorite team :yahoo:

Philadelphia - L
@ Indianapolis - L
Washington - L
Miami - L
@Dallas - L
Jacksonville - L
@Tennessee - W
@NY Giants - L
@Jacksonville - L
Buffalo - W
@NY Jets - W
@Oakland - W
Tennessee - W
@New England - L
Indianapolis - L
Cleveland - W (Please beat them!)

So that's a 6-10 record,tough start then much better - definite improvement over last year! :redtowel:

So how do you think my #1 team will do this year (Steelers)?

thunderkyss
05-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Can I respond too - the Texans are my 2nd favorite team :yahoo:
So how do you think my #1 team will do this year (Steelers)?

It's going to be Houston & Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. But like I said, my 8 ball says it's too early to tell the outcome.

sk8termom
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
It's going to be Houston & Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. But like I said, my 8 ball says it's too early to tell the outcome.

Sounds great to me - see you in January in the playoffs!

jmerog
05-05-2006, 10:46 PM

I like the way you think. :)

TexanBorn51
05-05-2006, 11:22 PM
I like the way you think. :)
I second the motion...

Bobo
05-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh, I wanted to add........ how many games do you think we would have won, if we were more aggresive?? If we weren't so predictable?? If one, maybe two balls weren't dropped?? If Buchannon would have made that one tackle??

Even as bad as we were, there were a bunch of little things that would have won us some games. We easilly could have been 10-6 last year..... easy.

And if it wasn't for a tipped pass vs. Cleveland and a late fumble recovery against Arizona, the Texans could have been 0-16.

Bobo
05-05-2006, 11:35 PM
We will sweep the Colts.... mark my words. The first win, will be because they'll still be wondering what went wrong in the playoffs..... they'll be looking to beat us early, to get them back into the winning rhythm....... when we stomp that a.s.s. they'll be sent into a tailspin they won't recover from.

We're sweeping the Jags...... We're going to make Leftwhich look so bad they'll be screaming for Gerard..... next time we play them, we'll have them screaming for Leftwhich.

We're sweeping the Titans...... I shouldn't have to give any reasons..... you know it, I know it.... Fisher knows it.

We'll probably loose to the Giants, and the Raiders are going to impress everyone. Brooks to Moss....... you'll see them both in the proBowl. We'll be undefeated at home, and only lose three on the road..... Patriots, Raiders & the Giants....
We're going to win our division(duh) and will play in the AFC Championship game. I'm sorry, but my Magic 8 Ball keeps telling me to consult it at a later date.

I hear Jiminy Crickett again: "When you wish ... upon a star!" I'm really sorry, but when I read stuff like this, I remember a guy I used to work with many years ago. Problem with him was you never knew if he really believed what he was telling you or if he was simply pulling your leg. Most of the time, he was pulling your leg. So we began to never take him seriously and mentally ended up putting a court jester's hat on him. Then he began to complain about nobody taking him seriously and couldn't understand why he had lost all credibility with us. See if you can catch the moral of the story.

Bobo
05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
No, there have actually been some statements by others on the extent of the over conditioning of the Texans and that that did in fact contribute to the injuries we were seeing. Working out excessively in the heat can lead to breakdowns of the body. A number of players have been commenting on Kubiak's schedule as opposed to Caper's schedule. I have been also stating that for sometime as well. The number of injuries and the kinds of injuries we were seeing did not make sense. However, they now do. And yes, coaching probably had a lot to do with it.

Are you going to blame Andy Reid for the injuries his team suffered last year? The Eagles had a lot more injuries than the Texans had but never, EVER, did any Eagles fans blame Reid for what happened. You have really gone over the line here. Blaming coaches for injuries is absolutely ridiculous.

TheRealJoker
05-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Here is what I am shooting for:

Philadelphia - W
@ Indianapolis - L
Washington - L
Miami - L
@Dallas - L
Jacksonville - W
@Tennessee - W
@NY Giants - L
@Jacksonville - L
Buffalo - W
@NY Jets - W
@Oakland - W
Tennessee - W
@New England - L
Indianapolis - W/L (pickem game imo)
Cleveland - W

Im hoping for a 9-7 season but would still consider this season a HUGE success if we could hit 8-8. There are only 6 games im 70% sure we can win. The others we'll need some luck, but that's why they play the games!!!

texplayer2
05-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Philadelphia - L
@ Indianapolis - L
Washington - W
Miami - W
@Dallas - L
Jacksonville - W
@Tennessee - L
@NY Giants - L
@Jacksonville - L
Buffalo - W
@NY Jets - L
@Oakland - L
Tennessee - W
@New England - L
Indianapolis - L
Cleveland - L

5-11

Koruptified
05-06-2006, 01:32 AM

How can you honestly use that logic? Most teams can say that... those things didn't happen, which is why the Texans were where they were last year.

Honestly, the Texans are in no position to make it past 7 wins this season. They've made some decent acquisitions, but you guys just came off of the worst record of 2-14. Some of you aren't homers, but many of you are just crazy...

And for anyone that thinks you are going to sweep the Jags or Colts, you're insanse. You won't beat the Colts once, and I doubt you'll beat the Jags.

I have faith you'll beat the Titans, at least once.

I predict 6-10.

Koruptified
05-06-2006, 01:58 AM
]']You can only really wait ti'll Sunday comes around. Any given Sunday, cause we have the fire power to stand toe to toe with everybody else.

You guys had a lot of bad Sundays.

TexansJunkE
05-06-2006, 08:18 AM
I think we are a borderline playoff team. I would not be surprised if we are this years surprise team.
1. defense we finally got rid of that 3-4 and going to a comfortable 4-3
2. new offensive playbook. I hope we get rid of the AJ hitch play.
3. Finally started to build our trenches from the ground up. ( I find it funny how the FO ignored this fact until this year, this is what all fans knew from day 1)
4. Most important, A NEW COACHING STAFF!
:banana::fans: :bguitar: :play:

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I hear Jiminy Crickett again: "When you wish ... upon a star!" I'm really sorry, but when I read stuff like this, I remember a guy I used to work with many years ago. Problem with him was you never knew if he really believed what he was telling you or if he was simply pulling your leg. Most of the time, he was pulling your leg. So we began to never take him seriously and mentally ended up putting a court jester's hat on him. Then he began to complain about nobody taking him seriously and couldn't understand why he had lost all credibility with us. See if you can catch the moral of the story.
Ironic really....

when you think about it.

]']You can only really wait ti'll Sunday comes around. Any given Sunday, cause we have the fire power to stand toe to toe with everybody else.

And this is the crux of the whole matter. We don't know. & we won't have any idea till we see what our boys do in Philly.

with the logic I'm seeing so far, instead of 2-14, we should've been 10-6.

now last year, we were a bad team 27th in scoring offense, with 16 points per game. we were dead last in points allowed with 26. If we improve on both sides of the ball, just adding 7 points on offense, and allowing 7 points less, we'll score 23 ppg, and allow 19 ppg..... that's a lot of won games in there.

Who'd have thunk the Chargers & Kansas City would miss the playoffs, but Cincy would be in?? Winning the division??

Washington back in the playoffs.....

Tampa Bay??
5-11 in '04..... wins division 11-5

the sky's the limit.

& I tell you what..... we are all in deep do-do, if our team goes out next year expecting to be 8-8...... or anything less than 16-0. Realistic or not, if they don't believe they can win every game, they won't be winning many.

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I think we are a borderline playoff team. I would not be surprised if we are this years surprise team.

3. Finally started to build our trenches from the ground up. ( I find it funny how the FO ignored this fact until this year, this is what all fans knew from day 1)

:banana::fans: :bguitar: :play:

In fairness, we've still yet to draft an OLinmen sooner than the third round.

and we picked a DT in the first last year.

Texans Horror
05-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Strength of schedule also has something to do with it. Last year we went 2-14 against some of the worst teams in the NFL. Two losses to the Titans and losses against the Ravens, Niners, and Bills. We played the NFC West, one of the weakest divisions in the league. This year, the Texans play the NFC East, one of the stronger divisions. So I think conservative estimates are just as realistic as the 10-6 season predictions.

Personally, I think we will see a Texans team that has elevated its play, but so has the strength of schedule. I don't think its the worst schedule in the world (we do have home games against Philly, Buffalo, Miami, and Cleveland). We have a legitimate shot at .500 or above while at home.

I still am of the losing season opinion. Picking up road wins will be difficult.

Overall, this season schedule looks surprisingly similiar to last year's because it is heavy in the front and get easier as we move towards December. The difference is that, unlike last year, the team will support this coaching system and be willing to stick together through the rough spots.

TexanBorn51
05-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I agree 9-9 and above and as far thinking about winning allow me to share this famous quote, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.":texflag:

hadaad
05-06-2006, 09:32 AM
In fairness, we've still yet to draft an OLinmen sooner than the third round.

and we picked a DT in the first last year.

Wasn't Chester Pitts a second-round pick?

Texans Horror
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Kubiak's system favors mid-to-late round linemen.

Texanfan4ever
05-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Koruptified, I hate to remind you of how many times we have beat the Jags since the beginning of our franchise, and we didn't have NEAR the fire power we are going to have this year. (Last year, well nevermind, you know the answer.) Our QB will be protected and that will be dangerous, and your quarterback better watch out for "SUPER MARIO"!!!!
:stirpot: :yahoo:

gtexan02
05-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Here are the games I'm almost 100% positive we'll lose:
Philadelphia (we won't be ready for them 1st game of season)
@ Indianapolis (see Eagles)
Washington (too many weapons on both sides)
@NY Giants (Very good team in very tough stadium)
@New England (Winter in Foxborough + Brady)

Here are games we have a slight chance of winning:
Miami (Depending on Culpepper's situation)
@Dallas (Great team, but rivalry gives us a shot)
@Jacksonville (Tough game, but we always play them well)
Indianapolis (Playing them at home this close to the end, they may be resting)

Here are games we have an even chance of winning:
Tennessee (VY might be playing, otherwise this is a lock)
Jacksonville (We play them very well, and at home, expect a win)
@Oakland (Brooks to Moss could be great, or could be nothing)
Cleveland (Made a lot of additions, look good on paper, how will that translate?)

Here are games we absolutely should win:
Buffalo (This team has no QB and is rebuilding)
@NY Jets (Didn't add QB or RB help, clearly rebuilding)
@Tennessee (We hit them early in the year @Tenn, should be a W)

So based on this, our minimum record is 3-13.
Now lets say we win half the games we have an even chance of winning (2) and win 1 of our reach games (1), that puts us at 6-10. I'd be happy with that.

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 11:50 AM
We'll see.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 01:34 PM
This is the Dom Capers school of thinking - never ever try to improve by more than 2 games per season! Some times a team gets on a good or a bad roll and they are not as wonderful or as awful as their record indicates. Jacksonville is not as good as 12-4, the Texans are not as bad as 2-14.

In reality many teams improve a lot in one season. The Chicago Bears went from 5-11 to winning their division. That was with their first round draft (4th overall), C. Benson doing nothing for them.

I had no optimism going into 2005 - we added Travis Johnson, M. Greenwood, and P. Burnt and let Sharper and Glenn go - and we were suppose to improve?

This year we add Moulds, Putzier, Cook, Weaver, and Cowart and we draft Williams, Ryans, Spencer, and Winston and you think we can only win approximately half as many games as in 2004? If we did nothing we should bounce back to 7-9.

My prediction before the draft would have been that (drafting Bush) the Texans would win 7 or 8 games in 2006. However, since Mario is a better football decision than Bush (by a lot to give up $100 million in PR) they should win 9 games minimum.

Yes, the bar is raised. Yes, 6-10 should be considered a failure not a success. When you pass on Bush and Young to take Mario, that may well be the best football decision - in fact it had better be because you are the one raising the bar on yourself Coach Kubiak!

A.) This is a prediction, not a "school of thinking" regarding football philosophy. Besides, the guy had an expansion franchise! Good grief, man, did you really expect him to get into the playoffs by year three? Sheesh! B.) This stuff about Jax not being as good as 12-4 and Texans not as bad as 2-14 is a lot of hooey. You are what your record says you are. Nuff said. C.) Heavens to 2005. Your expectations are way, way too high. Some people never learn their lesson.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Tampa Bay??
5-11 in '04..... wins division 11-5

the sky's the limit.

A.) They won the SB just a few years previously. It's not like they didn't have the makings of a bounce back already with them. B.) They kept their coach. The Texans didn't. Nuff said.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Here are the games I'm almost 100% positive we'll lose:
Philadelphia (we won't be ready for them 1st game of season)
@ Indianapolis (see Eagles)
Washington (too many weapons on both sides)
@NY Giants (Very good team in very tough stadium)
@New England (Winter in Foxborough + Brady)

Here are games we have a slight chance of winning:
Miami (Depending on Culpepper's situation)
@Dallas (Great team, but rivalry gives us a shot)
@Jacksonville (Tough game, but we always play them well)
Indianapolis (Playing them at home this close to the end, they may be resting)

Here are games we have an even chance of winning:
Tennessee (VY might be playing, otherwise this is a lock)
Jacksonville (We play them very well, and at home, expect a win)
@Oakland (Brooks to Moss could be great, or could be nothing)
Cleveland (Made a lot of additions, look good on paper, how will that translate?)

Here are games we absolutely should win:
Buffalo (This team has no QB and is rebuilding)
@NY Jets (Didn't add QB or RB help, clearly rebuilding)
@Tennessee (We hit them early in the year @Tenn, should be a W)

So based on this, our minimum record is 3-13.
Now lets say we win half the games we have an even chance of winning (2) and win 1 of our reach games (1), that puts us at 6-10. I'd be happy with that.

No way they win in Dallas or Jax. And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

whiskeyrbl
05-06-2006, 01:44 PM
A.) They won the SB just a few years previously. It's not like they didn't have the makings of a bounce back already with them. B.) They kept their coach. The Texans didn't. Nuff said.

Try optimism instead of being pestimistic all the time. We were on the rise our first 3 years, last year was a fluke, a bad system that was doomed from the start. If your players don't believe in what you are doing there is no chance. Hell last year I pretty much knew what we were gonna do on offense,so no doubt our opponnents did. Tampa's turnaround is not something that never happens,look at the Chargers 4-12 to 12-4,Cowboys 1-15 to the playoffs the next year. It is not impossible.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Try optimism instead of being pestimistic all the time. We were on the rise our first 3 years, last year was a fluke, a bad system that was doomed from the start. If your players don't believe in what you are doing there is no chance. Hell last year I pretty much knew what we were gonna do on offense,so no doubt our opponnents did. Tampa's turnaround is not something that never happens,look at the Chargers 4-12 to 12-4,Cowboys 1-15 to the playoffs the next year. It is not impossible.

The Texans were on the rise because of their coach. He had nothing to work with because there was basically nothing out there available except NFL rejects and green rookies. He got them to exceed their talent level. The mirrors broke last year because the lack of talent could no longer be masked. So the Texans got rid of the reason for their steady improvement over the first three years. Now all they have is a few good players and an overall lack of talent. Tampa kept their coach, like I said, rather than lose patience, panic and throw the baby out with the bath water.

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 01:52 PM

a few years previously, we were 7-9.......

they went from 1st round losers to the superbowl in one year, with a coaching change.

ClintonPortis26
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
No way they win in Dallas or Jax. And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

As a Redskin fan and a close follower of the NFC East I'd have to say the Dallas Cowboys are entirely overrated. They have horrible chemistry and play with absolutely no heart. Forget about Terrell Owens. Brian Dawkins/Lito Shepphard can slow him down and Shawn Springs/Sean Taylor can shut him down(look at his games hes had againts us let alone every other reciever besides Reggie Brown/Eagles).

As for Cleveland I think their mediocore at best and you might have a shot againts them. Jacksonville Jaguars are the Washington Redskins version of the AFC. No respect(somthing redskins are just now getting), tough time on offense but improved majorly this offseason, good defenses, and good coaching.

whiskeyrbl
05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
The Texans were on the rise because of their coach. He had nothing to work with because there was basically nothing out there available except NFL rejects and green rookies. He got them to exceed their talent level. The mirrors broke last year because the lack of talent could no longer be masked. So the Texans got rid of the reason for their steady improvement over the first three years. Now all they have is a few good players and an overall lack of talent. Tampa kept their coach, like I said, rather than lose patience, panic and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Then explain to me outside the 3 coaches we kept, and Capers who only got a DC job,where are the other coaches? UNEMPLOYED, thats where. Why? because they are not any good. Our team was Predictable,boring and outclassed. Team talent level,yeah some of it ,Coaching blunders and inability to draft right, FA moves all part of it. When you have a bad job performance you don't stick around, well McNair got rid of the coaching problems,and Kubiack is getting rid of the non-talent problem,all while addressing team needs and getting a better coaching staff,and better talented players, NUFF SAID!

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:14 PM

they went from 1st round losers to the superbowl in one year, with a coaching change.

Umm, wasn't the coach they got rid of that Tony Dungy guy, who wasn't so bad in the first place and didn't exactly get drummed out of the NFL? And didn't he kind of lay the defensive groundwork for the championship run anyway? And didn't he get his team into the playoffs to begin with? I don't think this is a good analogy. And you are forgetting that TB went from 5-11 to 11-5 -- WITHOUT firing their coach.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Looking at the sked, unless the Texans can beat either Miami or Jax (both at home, but certainly not given), they could very well end up losing their first nine games.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Then explain to me outside the 3 coaches we kept, and Capers who only got a DC job,where are the other coaches? UNEMPLOYED, thats where. Why? because they are not any good. Our team was Predictable,boring and outclassed. Team talent level,yeah some of it ,Coaching blunders and inability to draft right, FA moves all part of it. When you have a bad job performance you don't stick around, well McNair got rid of the coaching problems,and Kubiack is getting rid of the non-talent problem,all while addressing team needs and getting a better coaching staff,and better talented players, NUFF SAID!

At the risk of being redundant, Capers was indeed up for the Detroit job. Also, there were a lot of other good coaches who didn't get HC jobs this time around either. Wade Phillips, for one. The charge of "inability to draft right" can be leveled at just about every NFL team around. Hits and misses -- par for the course for everybody. And I can recite to you a litany of coaches (Cowher, Gruden and Holmgren, Paul Brown for example) who had "bad job performances" only to bounce back and take their teams to major accomplishments a year or too later. I don't really see Kubiak dealing with the non-talent problem as he brought in a bunch of mid-level to lower level players -- which is what you'd expect in FA for the most part, but why act like it's the beginning of a revolution when it's not? The coaching staff is certainly not "better" as it is green as grass and the head guy hasn't been head coach during an NFL game his entire life -- unless Shanahan took a day off, which I don't recall happening. Capers has a better resume than Kubiak, that's for sure as he took Carolina to within a game of the SB and got the best record for a first-year team ever in the history of the NFL.

whiskeyrbl
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
At the risk of being redundant, Capers was indeed up for the Detroit job. Also, there were a lot of other good coaches who didn't get HC jobs this time around either. Wade Phillips, for one. The charge of "inability to draft right" can be leveled at just about every NFL team around. Hits and misses -- par for the course for everybody. And I can recite to you a litany of coaches (Cowher, Gruden and Holmgren, Paul Brown for example) who had "bad job performances" only to bounce back and take their teams to major accomplishments a year or too later. I don't really see Kubiak dealing with the non-talent problem as he brought in a bunch of mid-level to lower level players -- which is what you'd expect in FA for the most part, but why act like it's the beginning of a revolution when it's not? The coaching staff is certainly not "better" as it is green as grass and the head guy hasn't been head coach during an NFL game his entire life -- unless Shanahan took a day off, which I don't recall happening. Capers has a better resume than Kubiak, that's for sure as he took Carolina to within a game of the SB and got the best record for a first-year team ever in the history of the NFL.

Well then lets say my glass is half full ,your's is half empty. And IMO we will be 3-5 or 4-4 after week 9.

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Umm, wasn't the coach they got rid of that Tony Dungy guy, who wasn't so bad in the first place and didn't exactly get drummed out of the NFL? And didn't he kind of lay the defensive groundwork for the championship run anyway? And didn't he get his team into the playoffs to begin with? I don't think this is a good analogy. And you are forgetting that TB went from 5-11 to 11-5 -- WITHOUT firing their coach.

Isn't that what you are saying about Capers & us??

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Isn't that what you are saying about Capers & us??

Hint: The Texans fired their coach. TB didn't.

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Well then lets say my glass is half full ,your's is half empty. And IMO we will be 3-5 or 4-4 after week 9.

Unless they can beat either Miami or Jax at home -- neither given -- the Texans could very well lose their first nine games.

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Hint: The Texans fired their coach. TB didn't.

TB fired Dungy, went from first round losers to superbowl champs....

Houston fires Capers, go from 2-14 to the playoffs......

Tampa went from 5-11 to 11-5...... no coaching change.....

Houston will go from 2-14 to 13-3 with a coaching change....

Bobo
05-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Houston will go from 2-14 to 13-3 with a coaching change....

Yeah, right. Beam me up, Scotty ...

blockhead83
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Bobo, you say that we're not going to be winning many games, I believe you said 4 this year, because we were the worst team in football last year at 2-14. Then you go on to say that if you don't think it's a lock for us to beat Cleveland then we're in real trouble? Follow your own advice man, we were the worst team in football last year, nobody is a lock for us to beat. When we had our best year under Dom Capers and had a chance to finish at 8-8 for the first time, we lost to what was at the time one of the, if not the, worst football team in the league in the Cleveland Browns. And guess what, it wasn't even a close game. That's when the uninspired and disorganized football truly reared it's ugly head for the first time in my mind. After that I felt Capers lost this team, last season wasn't just poor because of our record, it was poor because Capers and his staff couldn't inspire this football team to play competitively for 60 minutes anymore.

You guys do realize that every team's message board in the league is doing the exact same thing we are doing right now, and virtually all of them are writing us off as a "lock" for them to win? I can guarantee you nobody is looking at the schedule and saying, "Oh crap, we'll be lucky wo make it out of Houston with a W." No average football fan has any reason to believe we're going to improve next year. The media doesn't care about defense, or offensive lineman. They care about guys like Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart. Expect to see us pegged as underdogs in nearly every game we play this year. But expect something else too, expect to see this team play with guts again. Expect to see offensive playcalling that makes sense, and a more aggressive defense. We don't have the superstars the media loves that will get us labelled as a sleeper by ESPN this year, but we've got the corner stones this team has been lacking since it's inception in Mario Williams and our new offensive lineman. We've also got a Coach now who's got a winning philosophy, and the ability to get players to play for him.

I see us going 6-10 this year, but 6-10 with Kubiak will be much different than 6-10 with Capers. We'll see alot of potential on both sides of the ball, and we'll be in alot more close games that will build character and experience to help this team in the future. I can't wait.

amazingandre
05-06-2006, 06:04 PM
you know playoffs hard but not unealsitic. i think we go about 8-8 or better. we have a strong d and our offense is becoming amazing!!!!3 top receivers, some good te's, a good qb, plus depth all around the oline and the backfield? wow i think that is tight!!!!! check this davis has been a thousand yard bac since he has been a rookie...all 3 yrs???? HELL YA!!!!! can you imagine how great he'll be with an improved oline......come on. quit hatin and look at the roster for cryin out loud. i think davis will have between 1500 and 2000 yrds this season:superman:

BigDTexansFan
05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Looking at the sked, unless the Texans can beat either Miami or Jax (both at home, but certainly not given), they could very well end up losing their first nine games.

DANG aren't you Little Mary Sunshine, why stick around if you so SURE we will tank 1st NINE games. I am sure Dallas Cowboys or some other team could use a ray of sunshine like you to cheer them on.:brickwall

ClintonPortis26
05-06-2006, 06:40 PM
TB fired Dungy, went from first round losers to superbowl champs....

Houston will go from 2-14 to 13-3 and lose to the Washington Redskins in the Super Bowl with a coaching change....

Fixed it for you :ok:

BigDTexansFan
05-06-2006, 06:47 PM

might as well bring up what has Tony D done in Indianapolis, playoffs and wins BUT nothing much in terms of getting to the BIG game.:stirpot:

thunderkyss
05-06-2006, 06:48 PM
IIRC, we've always played Indy very well........... for the first half. If we can put together a second half, we can beat them............

twice.

mexican_texan
05-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Does anyone remember the 2004 Chargers?

gtexan02
05-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Haha remember how disapointed everyone was when we lost that first game? We thought we were the jokes of the NFL..

Oilers/Texans
05-06-2006, 11:05 PM

Any time you don't have a winning season and miss out on the playoffs, it is a failure. You play to win, not to feel good about yourself. This is not little league.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM
"You Play To Win The Game"

Sorry, just had to :)

jagibelieve
05-07-2006, 05:35 AM

This has to be about the funniest post on this whole thread. Sweep the Jags or the Colts. LMFAO! You may go .500 against the Titans, but do have a chance to maybe sweep them. I say at best you all go 8-8.

BigDTexansFan
05-07-2006, 09:34 AM
This has to be about the funniest post on this whole thread. Sweep the Jags or the Colts. LMFAO! You may go .500 against the Titans, but do have a chance to maybe sweep them. I say at best you all go 8-8.

Texans vs Colts

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
(Colts lead 8-0)
2002 Colts, 23-3 (HOU)
Colts, 19-3 (IND)
2003 Colts, 30-21 (IND)
Colts, 20-17 (HOU)
2004 Colts, 49-14 (IND)
Colts, 23-14 (HOU)
2005 Colts, 38-20 (HOU)
Colts, 31-17 (IND)
(Points: IND 233, HOU 107)

yeah they hammered us in 2002, BUT barely beat us in 2003, at home in 2004 we took them on a ride. As I recall in 2005 we had them close at halftime before they pulled away.

Texans vs Jaguars

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
(Series tied 4-4)
2002 Texans, 21-19 (JAX)
Jaguars, 24-21 (HOU)
2003 Texans, 24-20 (HOU)
Jaguars, 27-0 (JAX)
2004 Texans, 20-6 (HOU)
Texans, 21-0 (JAX)
2005 Jaguars, 21-14 (JAX)
Jaguars, 38-20 (HOU)
(Points: JAX 155, HOU 141)

If we had played like we should have in 2005 we win both games setting up back to back sweeps of Jags (they also don't go to playoffs)

TENNESSEE TITANS
(Titans lead 6-2)
2002 Titans, 17-10 (TEN)
Titans, 13-3 (HOU)
2003 Titans, 38-17 (TEN)
Titans, 27-24 (HOU)
2004 Texans, 20-10 (TEN)
Texans, 31-21 (HOU)
2005 Titans, 34-20 (HOU)
Titans, 13-10 (TEN)
(Points: TEN 173, HOU 135)

We should have swept Titans too, I don't know if losses were so bad, or if team had just lost it's way...BUT in both games we had chances to take a win and didn't.

We might have had we not been so bad won 1 or 2 from Colts, However it will be hard for Manning to handoff to Edge and throw as defense is frozen expecting a run. I think 1st time he does it...SACK, then he wakes up and realizes no one fears his NEW RB and he begins to run away (ever seen Peyton Manning throwing on run....HEHEHEHE) :yahoo:

Bobo
05-07-2006, 09:46 AM
The past is past. This team went 2-14. To think that they are a lock against anybody is pretty foolish. This team was just a tipped pass and a fumble recovery away from being 0-16. Close games are a part of the NFL. There will always be close games, and the goal is to win them. If you don't, then you've simply lost another game -- be it by 7 points or 35.

gtexan02
05-07-2006, 09:51 AM
The past is past. This team went 2-14. To think that they are a lock against anybody is pretty foolish.

And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

Jeez, you'll say anything to get things stirred up won't you? First you jump all over me for thinking Cleveland might have a chance against us (they have had arguably the best offseason) then 2 pages later, you jump all over people who claim the same thing you did? What?