PDA

View Full Version : June 1 Cuts?

TheOgre
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Who will we cut after June 1st? Payne and/or Wade? Someone else? How much dead money is that for 2006 and 2007?

Is there anyone we target that is a likely June 1 casualty? Hopefully a decent CB or FS is out there for us.

mancunian
05-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Who will we cut after June 1st? Payne and/or Wade? Someone else? How much dead money is that for 2006 and 2007?

Is there anyone we target that is a likely June 1 casualty? Hopefully a decent CB or FS is out there for us.

Wade more likely than Payne. I think Payne will be kep on especially now that we have cut 2 DT's.

Wong is another possible cut.

Well Ty Law is still out there - but he is asking for a load of cash. He may have to lower his asking price.

El Tejano
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure if you see the big name guys go June 1st. Guys like Wong and Payne are supposed to be here to provide competition.

If these dudes are gone I think it will be later in camp.

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to lose any of the following players come June 1:
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Zach Wiegart (4.2 million)
Morlon Greenwood (3.9 million)
Kailee Wong (3.2 million)
Jason Babin (1.3 million)
Demarcus Faggins (1.3 million)
Mark Bruener (1.0 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

After that the salaries sorta drop, and so it doesn't make as much impact

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this year

Trapped
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Wade, Payne, Wong, and Weigert are in jeopardy to lose their jobs this year. Those are 4 players that are in our top 10 paid and they are not even slated to start.

That's pretty much me stating the obvious.

Honoring Earl 34
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Its hard to keep your job if don't produce for a 2-14 team and make a lot of money .

Dime
05-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this year

ROFL.. cutting Babin. Why dont we cut Carr now too... Make sense about as much as cutting Babin

gtexan02
05-05-2006, 11:30 AM
ROFL.. cutting Babin. Why dont we cut Carr now too... Make sense about as much as cutting Babin

This has actually been brought up recently, due to the draft of Williams. Depending on Peeks situation, we may have Williams, Weaver, kalu, Peek, Babin all making pretty decent money for 2 DE positions.

Kaiser Toro
05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I think that Wade, Wong, Kris Brown and either Bruenner or Joppru will be the big contracts that could possibly be gone.

wrestler4life
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I dont think that Wong will be cut unless he can't play with his injury. Too much veteran leadership.

BigBull17
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
In a 4-3 5 DE isnt really that many. It allows you to keep your guys fresh throughout the game. Besides, on passing downs, or for situations with mobile QBs (VY) Weaver and WIlliams will move inside to DT and Babin Peek or Kalu will take the DE spot.

Texans Horror
05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't see these guys getting canned as June 1 drops. The question is who on this list is not first/second string potential because that is what Kubiak and the organization is going to be asking, and I think all these guys are good second stringers at worst.

I can't see Joppru or Babin going based on cash alone. They're just too cheap. Now, if Joppru gets re-injured, he'll be tossed. Wade is very expensive for a back-up, but if I remember correctly, his cap-hit goes down significantly after this season. Wong has given us good (not great) output, so I doubt he is gone unless the injury has an effect. Weigert is the starting RT in the line's depth chart, so he is a lock to stay at this point. Breuner might be gone, but that will depend on how well Joppru comes along.

TexanFanInCC
05-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

i hope wong isnt cut. i also would hate to see seth payne cut. he and robaire smith were arguably our best d-lineman last season. todd wade proly gets cut. morlon greenwood may get cut bc of the signing of cowart and drafting of demeco ryans.

Kaiser Toro
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I am holiding out for Morlon now that he is playing back in the 4-3. As an fyi his game at Denver in 2004 he had 7 tackles and 5 assists. Not earth shattering, but good.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235070/gamelogs/2004

Dime
05-05-2006, 04:06 PM
This has actually been brought up recently, due to the draft of Williams. Depending on Peeks situation, we may have Williams, Weaver, kalu, Peek, Babin all making pretty decent money for 2 DE positions.

This has been brought up by the people here and has no credibility what so ever. No one else. All 5 will probably stay providing DE and DT backup and tweeners. Babin aint going anywhere.. and unless K says it.. you can pretty much bet he will be with us for quite a while.

dwilt72
05-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

How in the world do you cut Faggins? We don't have any decent CB's as is. I also doubt Babin would go. I think they'll give him a chance to play DE first. We are also thin at DT so unless we pick up some more DL's I doubt if Payne is going anywhere.

Scooter
05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
until we see the results of the 4-3 switch (in which i'm sure smith will return to the dominance he had with tennessee), payne is our most productive defensive tackle. he's not going anywhere. travis johnson, while more suited for the A gap, got consistantly desicrated by right tackles and looked utterly pathetic IMO. as of right now, travis is NOT a starter. the only drop that i see is todd wade, he is not part of this system. if pittsburgh or a "mauling" run only team were looking for a right tackle, he'd be a great fit, but he has no business here. as oso eluded to though, if we can afford it, it'd probably be easier to hold onto wade for one more season as depth to ease the cap hit.

everyone in our secondary is staying. weigert will be here for atleast the transition (although it'd be a solid savings by releasing him). babin's going nowhere, i fully expect him to put on 5-10lbs and become a starter opposite williams. bruener is questionable, but i expect him to stay & retire at the end of the season (i think he'll be #3 on the chart, more as an offensive tackle who's eligable as a receiver on short yardage situations). wong & greenwood are starters. joppru's nickname should be "cat" since he apparently has 9 lives, or seemingly that many years to try to get healthy and play a down. even if joppru survives the offseason, i dont think coach will give him anything further than the practice squad.

incase i havent made it clear in previous posts, babin is 10X the DE that peek is. peek is too small and has too many holes in his game to be a consistant on any team, if we can get value by trading him, i'm all for it. shantee orr is better in his role as a tweener already. with the release of deloach & ioane, i think we'll see weaver moving inside pretty often and babin taking the starting DE role opposite mario. orr & peek are tweeners, babin's a DE ... he'll be our osi, or mathis, or kearse, or whichever lighter pass rusher you want to affiliate with. orr is going to come in on passing & blitz situations.

AustinJB
05-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I think that Wade, Wong, Kris Brown and either Bruenner or Joppru will be the big contracts that could possibly be gone.

Why exactly would you cut Brown?...a reliable kicker (barring a couple of games this past year) who we just signed to an extension in the offseason. Doubt it.

Erratic Assassin
05-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

It makes me sick to read this list and see what we paid for some of these guys.

wicked_wayz
05-06-2006, 03:46 AM

yeah i agree....cutting babin is damn wrong, if they cut him they mite as wel cut david carr....

wicked_wayz
05-06-2006, 03:55 AM
incase i havent made it clear in previous posts, babin is 10X the DE that peek is. peek is too small and has too many holes in his game to be a consistant on any team, if we can get value by trading him, i'm all for it. shantee orr is better in his role as a tweener already. with the release of deloach & ioane, i think we'll see weaver moving inside pretty often and babin taking the starting DE role opposite mario. orr & peek are tweeners, babin's a DE ... he'll be our osi, or mathis, or kearse, or whichever lighter pass rusher you want to affiliate with. orr is going to come in on passing & blitz situations.[/QUOTE]

nah i still believe PEEK got the skills and all to be our number1 LB. trading peek would be stupid, we need him in houston and no where else. but yeah if babin put a couple more pounds on he be a great DE.

TexansNeedRBin05
05-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Wong is hurt or he could would be starting...Wade is toast and not sure about Payne yet.

BigDTexansFan
05-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

With 2 OT's taken in draft and Salaam being signed can see one of the 2 tackles going out door. Weigert is a good possibility due to age and injuries, Wong will open season IR so he will be kept. I don't think you cut Babin until you see what he does as DE. Joppru and Bruener could be casualties of TE drafted and fact that Matt Murphy is pretty good

Texans Horror
05-06-2006, 06:54 PM
With 2 OT's taken in draft and Salaam being signed can see one of the 2 tackles going out door. Weigert is a good possibility due to age and injuries, Wong will open season IR so he will be kept. I don't think you cut Babin until you see what he does as DE. Joppru and Bruener could be casualties of TE drafted and fact that Matt Murphy is pretty good

Wade's the :bowser: with the injury. If we keep him, it's for economical reasons. Weigert's number one on the depth charts for RT, so I don't think he'll go.

texanskan
05-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Wade's the :bowser: with the injury. If we keep him, it's for economical reasons. Weigert's number one on the depth charts for RT, so I don't think he'll go.

Weigert can still play.

slamdunc
05-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Anyone think the purging by Kubiak is clearing some cap space for signing cut players after June 1? That is just my gut.

Any potential candidates as far as DB's go?

TheOgre
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
It should be interesting to see how many more fat contracts go by the wayside. We are heading a period of (high) dead cap space for sure.

the wonger need food
05-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Joppru and Bruener could be casualties of TE drafted and fact that Matt Murphy is pretty good

Murphy is moving to Tackle. His number is now 79.

Runner
05-08-2006, 02:42 PM

Then I doubt he makes the team unless we carry 12-13 o-lineman.

kiwitexansfan
05-08-2006, 04:19 PM

Really?? Wow that is an interesting career move. Is there any more information on this??

Meloy
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this yearIf Petey Faggins is cut, who replaces him @ corner? I doubt he will be cut until Pbuc proves he can be the starter. I think we picked up a corner in free agency but I don't know anything about him.

the wonger need food
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Really?? Wow that is an interesting career move. Is there any more information on this??

Just this. And the fact that his number has changed to a lineman's.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2560&section=N%20Latest%20News

The Texans’ offense will feature plenty of two-tight end sets, particularly on running downs, where Daniels could see time along with veteran Mark Bruener, free agent acquisition Jeb Putzier, former second-round pick Bennie Joppru and Matt Murphy, who also could play tackle.

TexanFan881
05-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)

I think that these three players have the best shot at getting cut. Drafting DeMeco should be a warning to Greenwood and maybe even to Kailee. Greenwood got way more money than he deserved so I wouldn't be disappointed if he got cut.

If Petey Faggins is cut, who replaces him @ corner? I doubt he will be cut until Pbuc proves he can be the starter. I think we picked up a corner in free agency but I don't know anything about him.

We'd probably have DRob, PBuc, McKenzie, Sanders, and hopefully we sign someone or we will bring up Mark Estelle or Andre Torrey from NFLE on as our 5th CB.

Runner
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Weigert can still play.

I heard on the radio that they restructured Weigert's contract to make it "more friendly to both sides". I figure that means it reduces his cap hit this year so he can stay with the team.

Ibar_Harry
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I heard on the radio that they restructured Weigert's contract to make it "more friendly to both sides". I figure that means it reduces his cap hit this year so he can stay with the team.

This is interesting and good news. Does anyone have any more info on this one.

done88
05-08-2006, 08:38 PM
They just resighned Zach Wiegart therfore I don't believe he is going to be cut. Wade is gone and thats about it.

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Scout.com lists Kailee Wong as a possible June 1st cut. I can defainitely see that after drafting DeMeco I think we will be fine without him. Greenwood/Cowart/Ryans looks good to me.

http://chargers.scout.com/2/533044.html

Kailee Wong (OLB) / Houston Texans / Base salary-$2,000,000 - He's still coming back from knee surgery and may not be ready for the start of the regular season. Wong is also on the hook for over $10.5 million over the next four seasons.

GP
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I am holiding out for Morlon now that he is playing back in the 4-3. As an fyi his game at Denver in 2004 he had 7 tackles and 5 assists. Not earth shattering, but good.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235070/gamelogs/2004

And at the player stats on nfl.com, if I sorted the LB stats for the AFC correctly, he was 14th (in the AFC only) with 112 total tackles (solo, assist, and sacks all combined) and then Polk was 22nd in the AFC.

Greenwood was perhaps our best LB last season, which is sad. And even sadder is that Polk was the NEXT best (statistically speaking). Talk about having a pretty average LB crew. Ouch.

And for all the UT homers who still have a huge man crush on Derrick Johnson, he's one notch above Polk at 21st on the AFC LB list. Not exactly the Pro Bowl caliber LB that we always hear about from the man crushers. "Oh why, oh why did we pass up Derrick Johnson?!" :cool:

link: http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/AFC/LB-TACKLES/2005/regular?&_3:col_1=14&_3:col_2=15

SESupergenius
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
And our selection of TJ was better? See where TJ ranked last year and I'll take DJ over that any day.

BigBull17
05-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah but thats unfair since a majority of Greenwoods tackles were 5 yards down the field. Even sadder was the fact that people tripped on him more than were tackled by him.

humbleone
05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Big name probable cuts:

* Wade- not fast enough and may not make it back from the injury anyway
* Bruener- veteran leadership but more of a Capers than Kubes TE and he is one of the few bubble moves we have that saves us ($1M I recall) vs costing us cap money

Possible cuts:
* Joppru- wild card...hope he stays plus he is cheap actually to keep
* Wong- depends on his knee, if he can't compete his probably gone
* Payne- least likely IMO of this group but could be trade material

"No way" cuts from your list IMO:
* Wiegert- possibly our starting RT
* Faggins- already one of our weakest spots depth/competition wise

TheOgre
05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
And our selection of TJ was better? See where TJ ranked last year and I'll take DJ over that any day.

I didn't like the choice to trade down and take TJ instead of DJ last year. However, now that I know we got Winston as a result of that 3rd round selection, I think we came out better. Neither TJ nor DJ has shown much yet, but I think Winston will be our starting RT for the next 10+ years.

titan hater
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I didn't like the choice to trade down and take TJ instead of DJ last year. However, now that I know we got Winston as a result of that 3rd round selection, I think we came out better. Neither TJ nor DJ has shown much yet, but I think Winston will be our starting RT for the next 10+ years.

How do we know that TJ is not going to be good? Dude was in a D that was not really suited for his talents. Now that we are going to the 4-3 we will see significant improvement in his play...With that said, I did want DJ last year but with the advent of Winston this may turn out to be a terriffic move by CC...

Honoring Earl 34
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Supergenius did'nt you take Max Jean Gilles with the 14th pick in this years mock draft ? I believe Max was taken right behind Owen Daniels in the real draft .

Vinny
05-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Supergenius did'nt you take Max Jean Gilles with the 14th pick in this years mock draft ?

http://www.yoest.org/archives/coyote_acme_anvil.jpg

Hulk75
05-22-2006, 04:45 PM
I am saying Todd Wade, have not heard anything about him at anytime.

TheOgre
05-22-2006, 05:24 PM
How do we know that TJ is not going to be good? Dude was in a D that was not really suited for his talents.

Never said he wasn't. The same could be true of DJ. I merely said that neither of them had shown anything yet. Then I threw in Winston as the "tiebreaker", although he really hasn't done anything yet either. Time will tell...

beerlover
05-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I think we all can relax and just in enjoy the ride for a change :cool: no more of this :brickwall what was done is done all Kubiak can do now is clean house and bring in his type of player who fit his style of football. Players brought in specificly to fit the 3-4 and unathleitic linemen/anyone are all in danger of losing a roster spot, those names have already been well documented on this thread, that being said it would be sad to lose Babin. I think he could be a really fine strongside DE while Peek could spell the weakside DE position as Mario moves around the field causing havoc for offenses to account for :hunter:

aj.
05-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Wade's toast. The problem is that friggin dead money. He and Walker will account for somewhere around 13 million dead on our cap over this year and next. Stupid then - even worse now.

Scottyboy
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Todd Wade- Easy Boot!! One of our worst players

One of the D.line men! Someone big has to go. Smith/Payne/Babin >?

Brandon420tx
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, hopefully our new FO will learn from this... and not give ginormous signing bonuses if they can help it...

Brandon420tx
05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Todd Wade- Easy Boot!! One of our worst players

One of the D.line men! Someone big has to go. Smith/Payne/Babin >?

No, we'll have enough room on our Roster for great D-line depth.... if it comes to it, we'll just say Robaire Smith is our 3rd string FB :poker:

aj.
05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
It's easier said than done to boot high salary underperformers or misfits because of cap hits. I'm guessing they won't be able to cut everyone that realistically has no future here.

TwinSisters
05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Wade's toast. The problem is that friggin dead money. He and Walker will account for somewhere around 13 million dead on our cap over this year and next. Stupid then - even worse now.

Walker was worth every penny and more for laying into Jerry Jones in front of a camera. Kiddie WWF stuff... but ya know, we all have a Pan somewhere and they have to eat too.

Hulk75
05-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I think we all can relax and just in enjoy the ride for a change :cool: no more of this :brickwall what was done is done all Kubiak can do now is clean house and bring in his type of player who fit his style of football. Players brought in specificly to fit the 3-4 and unathleitic linemen/anyone are all in danger of losing a roster spot, those names have already been well documented on this thread, that being said it would be sad to lose Babin. I think he could be a really fine strongside DE while Peek could spell the weakside DE position as Mario moves around the field causing havoc for offenses to account for :hunter:
I was just thinking of that the other day, it is a little more of a calm pre season this year, I think that is a good thing.

Brandon420tx
05-22-2006, 06:22 PM
You know, we keep talking about our D-Line today, and everyone keeps forgetting about Kalu....

Honoring Earl 34
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
:chicken: Well when it comes to dead money all we're missing is Matt Maloney .

aj.
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Walker was worth every penny and more for laying into Jerry Jones in front of a camera. .

I have no problem with the initial Walker contract we assumed from Jax in '02. It was his extension in '04 and the 11 million signing bonus that was beyond stupid and will hurt us through '07.

aj.
05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
:chicken: Well when it comes to dead money all we're missing is Matt Maloney .

If base salary was guaranteed in the NFL like it is in the NBA and MLB , we would be really screwed.

bayoudreamn
05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Someone was saying earlier that Matt Murphy may be gone. I think we saw the handwriting on the wall today for that to be a nonfactor.

Speaking in response to Mathis' return today, Kubes was really hammering the need for players to provide more than one skill to the team. He really stressed that Mathis must perform as a receiver as well as a returner in order to add value. It looked like a veiled threat to perform in both or be gone. I don't know if that is accurate but it seemed to be "written between the lines."

That said, I think Murphy's potential as a tackle makes him a keeper. He could play TE or tackle as needed. It looks like that consideration is going to carry alot of weight with Kubes.

gooneybird
05-22-2006, 10:09 PM
If Wade and Wong are still injured, as the newspaper and many quotes on this bulletin board would seem to indicate, aren't we (The Texans) legally liable to keep them on the payroll until the have completed their rehabilitation?

Seems to me they will both end up on the Physically Unable to Perform List.

They can legally stay off the team until somewhere between week 6 and 9. At that point, if another linebacker or tackle gets hurt and put on the IR, they would be eligible to re-join the team as an active player - kind of like an insurance policy, if you will.

Runner
05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
If Wade and Wong are still injured, as the newspaper and many quotes on this bulletin board would seem to indicate, aren't we (The Texans) legally liable to keep them on the payroll until the have completed their rehabilitation?

Or we have to negotiate a settlement payment with them in addition to their guaranteed money.

SESupergenius
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Supergenius did'nt you take Max Jean Gilles with the 14th pick in this years mock draft ? I believe Max was taken right behind Owen Daniels in the real draft .
I know I know, I'm crazy like that. But I really believe this kid is going to be a monster at the guard spot. I think I was picking for the Cardinals so I was following in line with the history of reaches. The mock draft was all whacked out and once Lienart, Young and Cutler were gone, my draft became wide open. The Cards did draft a guard in the second round however and got Lienart handed to them, something I didn't get in the mock draft. Anyhow, I believe that Giles is better than Luitui, but If I had to do it over again I'd probably pick a kicker.

And Vinny stop instigating, it's more like: http://www.wakatara.com/blog/images/posts/my_wile_e_coyote_2004.jpg

TheOgre
05-23-2006, 10:21 AM
If I had to do it over again I'd probably pick a kicker.

Either that or a punter would really help them.