PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the 5 OL on opening day?

whiskeyrbl
05-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I was wandering with current FA and draft picks ,who do you think will be the starters? I think it will look like this:

Salaam/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Winston

Avery huge upgrade from last year.
:redtowel:

ensign_lee
05-04-2006, 01:06 PM
I was wandering with current FA and draft picks ,who do you think will be the starters? I think it will look like this:

Avery huge upgrade from last year.
:redtowel:

Why is Salaam, a RG in a zone blocking scheme, our LT?!?! That seems eerily familiar to Victor Riley...:crying:

Exascor
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Why is Salaam, a RG in a zone blocking scheme, our LT?!?! That seems eerily familiar to Victor Riley...:crying:He was the starting LT in Denver's zone blocking offense. Where'd you get RG?

JohnGalt
05-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Salaam

Texas
05-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Nawzer
05-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Salaam/Pitts/Flanagan/Weigert/Winston

Blake
05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Spencer/Pitts/Flanigan/McKinney/Salaam

Texas
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Someone post a player page for Spencer please!

El Tejano
05-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Salaam/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Wand

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Spencer/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Winston

V Man
05-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Salaam

That is how I see the season starting, but Spencer and Winston will get some rebs and by the end of the year, at least one of them will start.

Coach C.
05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Opening day I see Pitts, McKinney, Flanagan, Weigert, Winston. This lineup wont last long because Winston and Spencer will be looking to move into the starting lineup quickly. Wand is starting to improve, but he is still a bit away, he is getting the reps right now, but his footwork and power are better suited for the right side.

ensign_lee
05-04-2006, 01:49 PM
He was the starting LT in Denver's zone blocking offense. Where'd you get RG?

whoops...thought he played OG for the Jags, before he got bounced.

I've done a little more research now, but still a little hesitant to start a LT that's been bounced off three teams. :hides:

Texans Horror
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I am waiting for Runner's opinion. He should be back on the boards Monday, and hopefully will have a lot to say about this. He's always had the inside story on the line, and I would love to hear his take on the new acquisitions (Spenser, Winston).

I suspect that despite bringing in the new guys, the line will look like this on opening day:

Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Weigert

Spenser and Winston need time to "gel." They will see time on special teams. Any changes to this lineup over the upcoming season will be due to injury.

The hole in my theory is very little knowledge of Salaam. I assumed we were just picking up another dude for depth. Is he good enough to contend for the starting RT spot?

LORK 88
05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Spencer / Pitts / Flanagan / McKinney / Winston

dalemurphy
05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
well, it won't be:

Riley, Pitts, McKinney, MBrown, Wade... and for that I'm grateful.

probably: Wand, Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney, Weigert.... with a bench of talented guys- Spencer, Winston, Hodgdon, Loverne, Salaam.

This depth/competition thing that Kubiak believes in is pretty crazy, huh!?

BigBull17
05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I think Weigert could be a June 1st cut. We added decent depth and he counts heavy toward the cap.

Grid
05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
whoops...thought he played OG for the Jags, before he got bounced.

I've done a little more research now, but still a little hesitant to start a LT that's been bounced off three teams. :hides:

Alot of dominant Denver Olinemen go to other teams and totally suck. Its the Denver system.

F-minus67
05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Salaam,McKinney,Flanagan,Pitts,Weigert

Errant Hothy
05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Wand, Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney, Winston.

I think Spencer is the LT of the future for us, atleast as of now I do. Wand will be Sherman's project, and Winston might be teh best RT currently on the roster. Damn our O-line sucked recently.

Texans86
05-04-2006, 03:35 PM
By the beginning of 2007, I'm hoping for Wand, Pitts, Hodgedon, Spencer, Winston. Extremely young line. A guy can hope can't he?

Errant Hothy
05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Add Matt Murphy to the tackle rotation?

The Texans’ offense will feature plenty of two-tight end sets, particularly on running downs, where Daniels could see time along with veteran Mark Bruener, free agent acquisition Jeb Putzier, former second-round pick Bennie Joppru and Matt Murphy, who also could play tackle.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2560&section=N%20Latest%20News

Huh?

D-ReK
05-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Spencer - Pitts - Flanagan - McKinney - Winston is the way I'd like to see things shake out, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wand or Wiegert ended up starting over one of the rookies...

keyfro
05-05-2006, 01:27 AM
i'm not sure who the starters will be on opening day besides pitts and flanagan and i must say i feel really good about that...for the first time in our history we have a ton of competition across the o-line...but for this thread i will predict what the o-line opening day will be

wand
pitts
flanagan
mckinny
weigert

second string

salaam
spencer (i know they think spencer is a OT but i think he'll make a better G)
hodgdon
weary
winston

to go along with this i believe that both spencer and winston will get a lot of playing time this season and if weigert or wand do not play up to par i do believe that winston or spencer will replace them by week 4

3960AD
05-05-2006, 03:18 AM
In any case I think we should have a good offensive line and some good backups... how did that kid Drew Hodgdon do last year?

3960AD
05-05-2006, 03:32 AM
We got tons of OL from Free Agency... and 2 from the Draft...

Seeing Red
05-05-2006, 04:25 AM
I think it should be:

Winston/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Spencer

and I'm always right...........wait..........no I'm not...

Janus3
05-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Spencer/McKinney/Flanagan/Salaam/Winston

texman8
05-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Spencer/McKinney/Flanagan/Salaam/Winston

Mmmm... Pitts is much better than McKinney.

Start of season:

Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/ Weigert/ Winston

After Bye week:

Spencer/ Pitts/Flanagan/Weigert/Winston

mancunian
05-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Why is Salaam, a RG in a zone blocking scheme, our LT?!?! That seems eerily familiar to Victor Riley...:crying:

Salaam is a LT - though he has played RT as well.

mancunian
05-05-2006, 06:06 AM
well, it won't be:

probably: Wand, Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney, Weigert.... with a bench of talented guys- Spencer, Winston, Hodgdon, Loverne, Salaam.

Do you think they'll keep 10 oline? I'm not sure - I'd say 9 at a push - I'd hazard a guess at Loverne being the one to miss out.

mancunian
05-05-2006, 06:06 AM
well, it won't be:

Do you think they'll keep 10 oline? I'm not sure - I'd say 9 at a push - I'd hazard a guess at Loverne being the one to miss out.

bdiddy
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Wand-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Winston

Spencer is a "talent," but he has only played tackle, let alone left tackle, for one year. He will need time to develop. I say he will need this training camp and season, as well as training camp next year before he is ready to assume the RT position.

I think Weigart will be a June 1 cap casualty. Salaam, Wade, Winston, Spencer - that is four tackles in addition to Wand.

nunusguy
05-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Wand-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Winston
I think Weigart will be a June 1 cap casualty. Salaam, Wade, Winston, Spencer - that is four tackles in addition to Wand.
I know Weigert is several years older than Wade, but he's more athletic than
Wade and more of a fit for Kubiaks ZB OL scheme. Plus he's more versatile,
with experience at both guard and tackle. Wade is a very unlikely fit for a
ZB scheme. IMO, they release Wade before they release Weigert ?

teamplaya
05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
LT) Salaam LG) Spencer C)Flanagan RG)McKinney RT) Winston all will be week 1 starters

Backups

LT) Wand, LG) Pitts ,C) Hodgdon, RG) Loverne, RT) Wiegert/Wade

We now have youth, quality depth and experience but I would like to see
Winston at LT in a couple of years after getting experience at RT

edo783
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I for one, will withhold my enthusiasim for the new O-line. We have a lot of possibilities for improvement (best chance we have ever had), but it remains to be seen if the rookies will pan out and how the other guys will work together. Seldom does an O-line that is just sort of thrown together work right off the bat. Probably take to mid season or longer to get them clicking. I'm looking for a rough start to the season with improvement in the second half. Having said all that:

Wand - Pitts - Flannagan - McKinney - Wiegert are probably how we start the season.

SESupergenius
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I'll go with:

Spencer/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Wiegert

TexanFanInCC
05-05-2006, 02:33 PM
ummm call me a dumb<bleep> but who is this salaam guy that you guys are mentioning? i havent kept up with the boards lately....

Exascor
05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Texans Sign Salaam (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=22831)

Runner
05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I am waiting for Runner's opinion. He should be back on the boards Monday, and hopefully will have a lot to say about this. He's always had the inside story on the line, and I would love to hear his take on the new acquisitions (Spenser, Winston).

I suspect that despite bringing in the new guys, the line will look like this on opening day:

Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Weigert

Spenser and Winston need time to "gel." They will see time on special teams. Any changes to this lineup over the upcoming season will be due to injury.

The hole in my theory is very little knowledge of Salaam. I assumed we were just picking up another dude for depth. Is he good enough to contend for the starting RT spot?

I don't have an opinion yet, but thanks for asking; I just got back and I'm trying to catch up with what's been going on.

After quickly scanning this thread though, I do have a question. Why do people assume that if Weigert gets beat out at RT he goes to the bench? I think he'd start in front of McKinney at RG.

Texans Horror
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Take your pick: the Big Money = Starting Position theory or the Good Ole Boy A&M nepotism theory

As long as we have the strongest team, I don't care who starts at RG. The right side definitely needs to improve, though.