PDA

View Full Version : Chron: Reality is, Texans helped themselves during draft

Texans34Life
05-03-2006, 03:48 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3836526.html

It's difficult to argue against coach Gary Kubiak's philosophy of getting the quarterback and protecting the quarterback and of building from the inside out. If you take the emotion out of the draft, here's what the Texans produced: Three of their first four choices Williams, linebacker DeMeco Ryans and offensive tackle Eric Winston were first-round projections in many mock drafts.

The first pick in the third round, offensive tackle Charles Spencer, played the position for the first time last season. The Texans thought that over the second half of the season, he was the nation's best left tackle not named D'Brickashaw.

Grid
05-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Sounds like McClain realizes that they are being pricks and are alienating a good portion of the fanbase, and the team itself.

The parts I liked

[Bruce]Smith was the top pick in the 1985 draft, selected by Buffalo despite his reputation for taking plays off, just like Williams. Also like Williams, Smith was incredibly talented.

As a rookie, Smith was notorious around the league for disappearing acts. But as Smith matured, he became a dominating and disruptive force and will be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

As a junior last season, Williams, 20, played uninspired games against Georgia Tech and Clemson and didn't start the next game against Wake Forest. He responded to the demotion by coming off the bench for 3 1/2 sacks and three tackles for loss.

Back in the starting lineup a week later, Williams went on a tear that led to him being the first pick in the draft. He finished with 14 1/2 sacks and 27 1/2 tackles for loss and elected to leave the Wolfpack after his junior year.

BTW.. Peppers was also accused of taking plays off in college.

By now, you know that Williams is 6-7, 295 and put on quite a show at the combine by running a 4.70 in the 40-yard dash, benching 225 pounds 35 times and having a vertical leap of 40 1/2 inches.

What impresses scouts even more is that he's so explosive off the ball. His 10-yard shuttle at the combine was 1.60 seconds.

No other end or tackle came close. By comparison, outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, selected in the first round by Cleveland, also had a 1.60. And he's 6-4, 248.

In other words, Williams explodes off the ball, which allows him to penetrate and beat double-team blocks.

Marcus
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Sounds like McClain realizes that they are being pricks and are alienating a good portion of the fanbase, and the team itself.

Typical flip-flopping catering to the way the wind is blowing. God, these jerks need to be slapped upside the head.

And you wonder why the sports fans of Houston are so fickle.:brickwall

Texans_Chick
05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
There's a lot to like about Williams. For instance, his North Carolina State teammates voted him the team award for integrity and sportsmanship.

In an era where some really good players have done blown up teams, you gotta think that was a tie breaker.

Yankee_In_TX
05-03-2006, 07:59 AM
For instance, he was NCAA top scholars or something (8 NCAA student-athletes nationwide are chosen).

Texans_Chick
05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
For instance, he was NCAA top scholars or something (8 NCAA student-athletes nationwide are chosen).

I think that was DeMeco Ryans.

TEXANRED
05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
What is that noise? Oh, thats just both McClain and Justice back pedaling. First you get a head line that has stupidity in the title, go thru all ther pro-Young crap, now that want to tell us what a great pick williams is?

Answer this, why does the fourth largest city in the country only have one news paper? And when are we getting another one?

El Tejano
05-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Remember the Houston Post?

Errant Hothy
05-03-2006, 09:35 AM
What impresses scouts even more is that he's so explosive off the ball. His 10-yard shuttle at the combine was 1.60 seconds.

:woot2

Damn I hadn't seen that stat before, that's just nutty.

Oh and McClain has a better back pedal then Ko Simpson.

Rightnow
05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
The Chronicle reporters wanted VY for readership. There are 250,000 UT alumni in the greater Houston area. Then they wanted Reggie because he would at least bring some attention to Houston and Justice and McClain could talk about him to the national press. Now that they didn't get what they wanted, and realized that the fans are starting to lose respect for them, they are getting on board. I don't have a problem with them wanting to sell newspapers and make money, I'm a capitalist. Their motives weren't pure, but it doesn't matter if we start to win. They will get their wish of readership if the Texans make the playoffs.

I have always like John McClains columns in the past and think that he is one of the best in the country, but his actions over the last few months have soured me a bit.

CoastalTexan
05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I personally think Houston has such bandwagon fans because of the horrible sports reporting. Anyone else feel that way?

Meloy
05-03-2006, 02:41 PM
What is that noise? Oh, thats just both McClain and Justice back pedaling. First you get a head line that has stupidity in the title, go thru all ther pro-Young crap, now that want to tell us what a great pick williams is?

Answer this, why does the fourth largest city in the country only have one news paper? And when are we getting another one? Post shut down because not enough subscribers. Just before they went down and Chronicle purchased the left overs, Post gave me a ridiculous rate to resign for one year. Much to my surprise Chronicle honored the rate. I used to get so mad @ Chronicle, I'd cancel my 'script. Boy thatshook 'em up.:ok:

Meloy
05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I personally think Houston has such bandwagon fans because of the horrible sports reporting. Anyone else feel that way?
Uh.. let me try to answer by using myself as an example. I will follow a team as long as I feel the players are putting forth a reasonable effort. I do not have to have wins, just a good game. When I think a team or a player is just drawing a check (Insert Philip Buchanan) or playing like jr. high athletes (insert Astros first 1/3 of season last 2 years) I spend my time and my money elsewhere. If they start playing up to their talent, I watch again. Quite simple actually. Papers, radio heads or tv personalities influence me little. When I see those silly statements by fans "You got to live and die with the team or you can move to another town", I chuckle. I was a fan of the Oilers every year. I am the guy on the Reliant energy commercial for the Rockets that throws things, screams and turns off the tv to turn it back on 2 seconds later & beg the team to forgive me. I think other "bandwagon fans" may have something in common with me. We just want good effort.

Janus3
05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
this is exactly why i hate john mcclain. he has no backbone.

Nawzer
05-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I have no problems with John McClain or Richard Justice. Although Justice is a bit annoying I find his columns entertaining. There is nothing more to it for me. I read it for pure entertainment. McClain on the other hand has annoyed me in the past when it seemed like the Cowboys were the only NFL team in Texas. But in general I find his Sunday columns insightful.

As for Houston fans being "bandwagon" fans, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with that label. I think Houston sports fans are smart in general. Why support a loosing team? Why spend your hard earned dollar supporting a team you know is going to loose more than it's going to win? It's managements job to win over fans and we as fans have every right to not support teams that suck.

aj.
05-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Why support a losing team? Because they're my losing team and our entrant in the NFL. I'm not a part time/casual fan or in it solely for entertainment or return on the dollar, but to each their own.

When I heard first-hand yesterday that a couple of people I know, gave up their season tickets to "become" titans fans, I wanted to puke. But instead I just decided to chuckle and shake my head. I figured it would be more socially redeeming.

And in the Chronicle today, their "fan sound-off letter" is some drivel about how the Texans "blew it again" because they didn't draft Rod Wright - injury and all - and that Nick Saban is a genius who will make the Texans pay for another stupid decision. When the local fish wrap publishes crap like that, you can't tell me there's not anti-Texans bias over there.

After all, we know that according to the Chronicle, Mr. Hollywood, aka give me #5 or else, aka I never saw a marketing deal I didn't like, is already being fitted for an ugly yellow blazer (size 42 short) while our guy is Sam Bowie.

McClain told me last night that he was getting hammered via email for the positive spin he put on the draft. I guess it's still more trendy to pile on vs. see beyond the first pick overall.

Stampede
05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Remember the Houston Post?
Ha ha, yep, my favorite memory of the post was watching Dale Robertson get pounced on by Dan Pastorini....Maybe we should give Mario a history lesson?

The Preacher
05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Well if Mario shines then Justice just established himself as the least knowledgable football writer on the planet. His tone was so emphatic that I think if and when the Texans take off with the D leading the way then he will be forever remembered as an arrogant joke. McClain was smart enough to cover himself if things go well but Justice will be in trouble. I give him credit for making a stand but the way he went about it was rude and condescending. Winning cures everything and if that happens it won't matter who's running the ball, especially if Mario is bulldozing his way around. That is more entertaining anyway if you ask me.