PDA

View Full Version : My thought on fans counting for something

NeViKaN
05-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree that they (front office and scouts etc.) know more than the fans.

IMO if they say that both players are on equal footing then shouldn't the fans at least count as a tie breaker. CC rubbed me the wrong way by saying the fans don't count and that they were not worried about ticket sales.

A few points to get off my chest

I think that Super Mario is a great pick. But (you knew it was coming) IMO if we had picked Bush our offense would have been pretty much set. As it stands without Bush we are only marginally better player wise than last year. So much for getting weapons for DC. We are light years better if you take into account the coaching staff. To finish, SM did not complete the defense the way that Bush would have completed the offense. Therefore we are left with at least a year or two of trying to build both sides of the ball as apposed to only having to worry about the defense. I think that we would have accepted that path easier.

DD is great for 150 yards but does not scare defenses. He does not have the break away speed. You only need to watch the Ravens game to see what I mean. Bush would have scared defenses and would have forced them to account for him, were it may only take a double team to make SM void. I am not saying that Peek is to the caliper of SM but I believe that he would have been serviceable. My point (ramble) is that even with SM we did not change the face of our defense as much as we could have changed the face of our offense.

Last thought. I am a huge Texans fan (just like all of you). It hurts to hear all the media bash us (sticks and stones right?). I believe that if we had picked Bush and he failed or did not live up to the hype that no one would be upset with the Texans. We all (most) both fans and media, believed that it was the right pick. But SM has to be great or the fans will revolt. Maybe there is a reason that it was a hard decision, those are often the wrong decisions. SM is a great player and I am glad we have him. I hope that it works out.

I still love the Texans and will not leave them because I did not like their first pick. But I as many of you will continue to have a bitter taste in my mouth about how they view us.

My new jersey New Orleans Saints “Bush” Ha Ha

Thanks for any thoughts?

swtbound07
05-02-2006, 05:30 PM

IMO if they say that both players are on equal footing then shouldn't the fans at least count as a tie breaker. CC rubbed me the wrong way by saying the fans don't count and that they were not worried about ticket sales.

A few points to get off my chest

I think that Super Mario is a great pick. But (you knew it was coming) IMO if we had picked Bush our offense would have been pretty much set. As it stands without Bush we are only marginally better player wise than last year. So much for getting weapons for DC. We are light years better if you take into account the coaching staff. To finish, SM did not complete the defense the way that Bush would have completed the offense. Therefore we are left with at least a year or two of trying to build both sides of the ball as apposed to only having to worry about the defense. I think that we would have accepted that path easier.

DD is great for 150 yards but does not scare defenses. He does not have the break away speed. You only need to watch the Ravens game to see what I mean. Bush would have scared defenses and would have forced them to account for him, were it may only take a double team to make SM void. I am not saying that Peek is to the caliper of SM but I believe that he would have been serviceable. My point (ramble) is that even with SM we did not change the face of our defense as much as we could have changed the face of our offense.

Last thought. I am a huge Texans fan (just like all of you). It hurts to hear all the media bash us (sticks and stones right?). I believe that if we had picked Bush and he failed or did not live up to the hype that no one would be upset with the Texans. We all (most) both fans and media, believed that it was the right pick. But SM has to be great or the fans will revolt. Maybe there is a reason that it was a hard decision, those are often the wrong decisions. SM is a great player and I am glad we have him. I hope that it works out.

I still love the Texans and will not leave them because I did not like their first pick. But I as many of you will continue to have a bitter taste in my mouth about how they view us.

My new jersey New Orleans Saints “Bush” Ha Ha

Thanks for any thoughts?

I could care less how other people think about this franchise. I dont care if they are mad at us, agree with us, disagree with us. They dont care if we win or lose...they were thrilled at our last season because it gave them storylines. CBS'sportslines draft grades and 75 cents will buy you a coke.

champ1234
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
dont remember who said it.. but there is a football saying...

"if you listen to the fans you will soon be sitting with them."

or something along those lines.

Nevikan, your statement is your opinion, but it will never be heard by the FO and in my opinion, that is a good thing

Frills
05-02-2006, 06:18 PM
We gave NO, not only Bush, but a side plate of cap hell as well...now they'll have 2 $50 million RB's, a $60 million Qb...hope they have fun while it lasts

Bobo
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM

They know more than some fans. The coaching staff may be stupid, but they aren't drooling idiots. :drool: However, some fans apparently are.

OzzO
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Nev - maybe it was construed that way, if it's what I'm thinking you're talking about CC said - I took it in another light.

Saying something along the lines of understands the fans want for Bush (or Young) as they're exciting players and offensive players are the more visual entertainment, but that they need to see it fromhis side of the table, that he has to do what's good for the team. What puts the team in the best place to win - all that matters is the score on Sunday.

So, I don't think he was dogging the fans per se, more of just seeing it from a "business" persepective vs. "marketing" perspective.

Texans Horror
05-02-2006, 07:43 PM
The media has been bashing the Texans for years now, and it hasn't always been undeserved. We've been in the league four years now. It's time to get out of the basement. A winning season would go a long ways to silencing the critics.

NeViKaN
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Nev - maybe it was construed that way, if it's what I'm thinking you're talking about CC said - I took it in another light.

So, I don't think he was dogging the fans per se, more of just seeing it from a "business" persepective vs. "marketing" perspective.

Yeh your probably right. I don't know that I agree with the buisness perspective for the reasons I stated earlier. I am glad that we finaly had a good draft. With CC track record I am lead to believe that Kub pulled a lot of the strings.

OzzO
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Yep, I agree. Just as previous seasons, the coach made the call on players wanted and CC seemed to be the central point among many sources of input to make sure it happened.... a facilitator if you will.

Thanks goodness someone in the organization is now watching more than 2 game tapes of potential players. :)