PDA

View Full Version : I guess there was a reason for drafting Wali Lundy...

Texans34Life
05-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Texans | Lundy may see playing time
Tue, 2 May 2006 12:00:58 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans sixth-round draft pick RB Wali Lundy may see significant playing time due to RB Domanick Davis' penchant for injury.

:stirpot:

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
No knock on you...

but this news becaue?

SAme reason Morencey was drafted last year. Man the Chronicle reporters have a great grasp of the obvious.

the wonger need food
05-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Great coverage by our local journalists. Here's another one...

Texans | Wade Can Not Block Anyone

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans third-round draft pick OT Eric Winston may see significant playing time due to OT Todd Wade's inability to block anyone in pass protection.

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans third-round draft pick OT Eric Winston may see significant playing time due to OT Todd Wade's inability to block anyone in pass protection.

WOW! What great jounalism. She must have a source deep within the orgainization to obtain such inside information as this.

LOL!!!

BattleRedRaider
05-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Geez, what's next for them?

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Texans decided to hold training camp, because they felt could improve that way.

Sarg01
05-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Well, it's probably the most honest evaluation we've gotten from them.

Porky
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
You do realize that last one is fake don't you? :tiptoe:

trane
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Texans | Lundy may see playing time

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans sixth-round draft pick RB Wali Lundy may see significant playing time due to RB Domanick Davis' penchant for injury.

:stirpot:

I think the main beneficiary of the Texans not drafting Bush is V. Morency. Domanick is sure to get hurt and Morency will probably rush for 1,000 in his absence.

Sportsfan
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM

Now that made me laugh my *** off. LOL!!

Hardcore Texan
05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I think Davis will hold up pretty well this season, after all we should have a passing game to take some load off. And I also think Kubiak will split carries between two RB's.

And the Chronicle seems pretty bad, don't ever read it being here in the Austin area but at least I am not missing very much. I was fortunate enought to see Justice on Rome is Burning yesterday, bashing our team's every move, what a tool this guy is.

Mike Kerns
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey, at least our guys are writing about our team in HOUSTON, not the one in Nashville...

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM

I didn't at first...and who deos that speak worse of me or Megan Manfull?

I could easily see this as a real story, and that is sad.

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 04:22 PM
And the Chronicle seems pretty bad, don't ever read it being here in the Austin area but at least I am not missing very much.

I lived in Austin for several years and got a subscription to the Chronicle just so I could read anything other than UT sports (and I went there!!!).

The Austin American-Statesman has to be one of the worst papers I have ever read. All you get are articles on UT sports or the Cowboys. You had a greater chance of reading up on UT's swim team than you did of seeing anything on the Rangers, Mavs, Rockets or Astros. Heck when the Oilers were in Houston you had almost as much of a chance of reading up on the Saints as you did the Oilers. Pathetic coverage for a city with no teams.
Heck I could read more on the Cowboys in the Houston paper than I could in the Statesman.

All that said, I still think the Chronicle has gone down hill ever since the Post went under. The competition made both of them better. Wouldn't it be nice to have another paper here?

mancunian
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM

:) :) :) :)

mexican_texan
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I guess I don't need to go to UT to work for the Chronicle...

Hardcore Texan
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I lived in Austin for several years and got a subscription to the Chronicle just so I could read anything other than UT sports (and I went there!!!).

The Austin American-Statesman has to be one of the worst papers I have ever read. All you get are articles on UT sports or the Cowboys. You had a greater chance of reading up on UT's swim team than you did of seeing anything on the Rangers, Mavs, Rockets or Astros. Heck when the Oilers were in Houston you had almost as much of a chance of reading up on the Saints as you did the Oilers. Pathetic coverage for a city with no teams.
Heck I could read more on the Cowboys in the Houston paper than I could in the Statesman.

All that said, I still think the Chronicle has gone down hill ever since the Post went under. The competition made both of them better. Wouldn't it be nice to have another paper here?

I agree Ogre the statesman will have one little small article in the back page about the Texans every other week it seems if I am lucky. I pretty much only glance at it a couple times a week.
But that is why I found this board, and why I frequent this board because you guys are the only Houston Texan fans I can find, we are few and far between around here. This is really the only place I can talk about the Texans in depth. There are a lot educated and well informed fans here that help me keep up with the team. :)

CoastalTexan
05-02-2006, 04:54 PM
They just started giving Txstate a 30 second segment on tv for football this last season. If we write enough emails complaining will anything change as far as the chronicle goes?

Vinny
05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Megan Manfull is the same person comparing Dom Davis to Earl Campbell last pre-season. I stopped reading her stuff at that point. She's a noob sportswriter.

Scooter
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
maybe someone with better research abilities can help me out, what exactly were DD's injuries?

bruised thigh
sore ribs
sprained ankle
fluid in the knee

am i missing anything? is it just me or is that a fairly weak list to call someone "injury prone"? granted, they were probably severe enough for him to be justified sitting out a game, but i highly doubt any of the mentioned injuries would stop DD if we were in the midst of a playoff run. barring a broken bone or anything being torn, i'm calling 1500+ yards this season.

houstonhurricane
05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, DD is supposedly still rehabing his knee - not sure what the diagnosis is.

Tulip
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
With the difference between Capers-style practice and Kubiak-style practice, I'm sure we will see less injuries - across the board. Domanick at least has a chance of staying healthy this season.

edo783
05-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I live in the Denver area and read the Denver Post and I can't believe how much better it's sports section is when I come back to Houston and read the Chronic. Feel bad for the folks in Houston that have to put up with that rag.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-03-2006, 01:40 AM
What really concerns me is DD's health. I've been hearing a trade rumours on other thread about RB from Arizona. Is DD ready OK? His injury may be serious than we think? Is he going to be ready by Sept? I just don't like hering more RB which concerns me about DD's health. I hope all the talk about adding more RB is for our scheme and not because of DD's health. Guys, please let me know his health status.

SESupergenius
05-03-2006, 07:17 AM
DD hasn't even fully healed yet so I have no problem in taking a RB this draft, be it Bush or someone named Lundy.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
DD hasn't even fully healed yet so I have no problem in taking a RB this draft, be it Bush or someone named Lundy.
I don't mind taking more RB. What concerns me is DD's injury. I hope he is OK.

DRAMA
05-03-2006, 09:35 AM
I think the main beneficiary of the Texans not drafting Bush is V. Morency. Domanick is sure to get hurt and Morency will probably rush for 1,000 in his absence.

I agree. I actually think Morency will wind up being THE back in this offense. I know everyone assumes DD will be but I just think VM will wind up suprising people this year.

One step - juke - go = Morency. Granted, the top line speed may not be there but I think he'll be fine.

Kaiser Toro
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I live in the Denver area and read the Denver Post and I can't believe how much better it's sports section is when I come back to Houston and read the Chronic. Feel bad for the folks in Houston that have to put up with that rag.

I was just in Vail a couple of months ago and loved the Denver sports section. They had a number of articles on the draft that were reserach oriented, such as the the best backs out there for the zone blocking scheme and where they were projected with comments from the college coach. Just good football analysis rather than fan popularity and innuendo.

edo783
05-03-2006, 09:49 AM
I was just in Vail a couple of months ago and loved the Denver sports section. They had a number of articles on the draft that were reserach oriented, such as the the best backs out there for the zone blocking scheme and where they were projected with comments from the college coach. Just good football analysis rather than fan popularity and innuendo.

Yup, they do the actual work to make sense rather that just pop off. Should have read their after draft report. Real good and they liked what we did. Said it wasn't the sexy pick, but it was the right pick. Sounds like they might have actually paid some attention to what the Texans really needed, rather than what everyone else thought was the hot pick.

bigTEXan8
05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Hate to ask a maybe touchy, dumb question; but what happened to Wells. I don't remember seeing anything about him being signed on espn.com or nfl.com either. I have stayed off the boards lately because of the same arguments with the R. Bush vs. M. Williams. So, if someone could get back to me about that...thanks yo.

Demon
05-03-2006, 09:59 AM
maybe someone with better research abilities can help me out, what exactly were DD's injuries?

bruised thigh
sore ribs
sprained ankle
fluid in the knee

am i missing anything? is it just me or is that a fairly weak list to call someone "injury prone"? granted, they were probably severe enough for him to be justified sitting out a game, but i highly doubt any of the mentioned injuries would stop DD if we were in the midst of a playoff run. barring a broken bone or anything being torn, i'm calling 1500+ yards this season.

Is it just me, but all Houston sports teams seem to suffer injuries: Rockets, Astros, Texans ..... perhaps I am not looking at the whole picture, but we sure do have our share of injuries.

El Tejano
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Hate to ask a maybe touchy, dumb question; but what happened to Wells. I don't remember seeing anything about him being signed on espn.com or nfl.com either. I have stayed off the boards lately because of the same arguments with the R. Bush vs. M. Williams. So, if someone could get back to me about that...thanks yo.
I have this conviction that we are trying to see who else we can get before we commit to Wells again. I think Antwan Smith has been a rumor but Michael Shipp has been out there also. I believe if we can get one of them we upgrade from Wells.

bigTEXan8
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I have this conviction that we are trying to see who else we can get before we commit to Wells again. I think Antwan Smith has been a rumor but Michael Shipp has been out there also. I believe if we can get one of them we upgrade from Wells.

Thanks yo.

Rightnow
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I think Shipp would be a great addition. He is a big, tough running back that would be good for short yardage situations. I think Wells could fill that role too.

Shipp was on my fantasy team last year. :)

DominickDavisFan76
05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Megan Manfull of the Houston Chronicle reports that we will be taking Mario Williams Last Saturday

LOL this is never gets old.

Doom Capers
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I still want Mario to get a few carries a season. Think about it..... :)

Meloy
05-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Is it just me, but all Houston sports teams seem to suffer injuries: Rockets, Astros, Texans ..... perhaps I am not looking at the whole picture, but we sure do have our share of injuries.
It is just you:) The Texans dietician and strength coach are appearing regularly on 610 radio. With that pizzazz no one will suffer injury or weight problems. Now if they can move from radio to TV....

Kaiser Toro
05-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Yup, they do the actual work to make sense rather that just pop off. Should have read their after draft report. Real good and they liked what we did. Said it wasn't the sexy pick, but it was the right pick. Sounds like they might have actually paid some attention to what the Texans really needed, rather than what everyone else thought was the hot pick.

In that article I read this was the one guy that they thought would be a great value on the second day.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0503sptdigest0503.html

TexanFanInCC
05-05-2006, 02:02 PM

who the heck is megan manfull? i think both the articles are fake