PDA

View Full Version : We should've known...

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
"We should've known something was wrong last year..."

Finish the sentence, I'm curious as to see when/what people thought things turned ugly last year.

My thoughts:

"We should've known something was wrong last year when R. Smith started lining up at fullback."

Who's next?

dwilt72
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I actually thought they turned ugly in the Cleveland game of 2004. Everything seemed to go downhill after that.

ccdude730
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM

...when we signed victor riley, an overweight behemoth who couldnt catch his breath if it were right in front of him - embarassing signing and embarassing that he actually started at LT for us

Buffi2
05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
We should have known something was wrong last year when Victor Riley became a starting tackle. That still makes me nauseous.

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
...when we didn't draft a QB for the 4th year in a row. :brickwall

Texans86
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
...when we didn't draft a QB for the 4th year in a row. :brickwall

umm....we drafted a quarterback in the first three years, Carr, Ragone, and Symons. I'm confused.

Back on topic.

...when our defense made J.P.Losman look like a real quaterback.

sstandifird
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
when the owner confirmed this is just another Houston team that doesn't have what it takes to be one of the "big boys".
:twocents:

BradK10
05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
...when the training camp was over."

Ha ha, check this out. I dug up an email exchange with my best friend on Sept 9, 2005....

dude, is it just me, or do you have a really bad feeling about the texans this year? i've never been so confused about a team than i am about this years texans

Funny you should say that, but I actually feel the same way. I've got this
bad feeling like we're going to take a big step backward this year. I'm
hoping all of those fears will be squashed with a road victory Sunday, but
we'll see. But yeah, I'm seriously concerned about the team. Maybe we're
both completely off base and are subconciously trying to keep from getting
our expectations too high, like all those 610 callers who say "10 wins or
fire Dom and replace Carr".

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
we should've known something was wrong when we implemented the 1 step drop to protect David Carr.

playoff year please
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM
We should have known something was wrong when Capers face hadn't changed.

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
umm....we drafted a quarterback in the first three years, Carr, Ragone, and Symons. I'm confused.

1. I realize we drafted a QB the first 3 years, but we didn't draft one in 2005 (the 4th year). That was the point when I said, "...when we didn't draft a QB for the 4th year in a row."

2. It was meant as a joke. I was making fun of our horrible drafting.

TigerV1
05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
We should have known something was wrong last year when we promoted our OL coach to be our offensive coordinator.

Texans Fever 2006
05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
....we fired Chris Palmer, and expected the offense to get better.

BigBull17
05-02-2006, 02:28 PM
we should've known something was wrong when we implemented the 1 step drop to protect David Carr.

and he still got sacked 68 times...

zeplin
05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
It was becoming pretty obvious in the preseason that we had serious protection issues. People want to blame this guy or that guy but capers is the one that I hold responsable for last seasons debacle.
I think our QB is one tough SOB. He has been beat on for 4 years and he still seems excited to be playing for the Texans. He has not been playing the blame game during any of the last 4 seasons.. I like his character and I think he will do a fine job. I have a great feeling about the upcoming year.

GO TEXANS

El Tejano
05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
1. I realize we drafted a QB the first 3 years, but we didn't draft one in 2005 (the 4th year). That was the point when I said, "...when we didn't draft a QB for the 4th year in a row."

2. It was meant as a joke. I was making fun of our horrible drafting.
We drafted Symons in 05
Henson in 04
Ragone 03
Carr 02

06 would be the first class we didn't get a QB in.

To stay on topic though:

We should've known something was wrong when we couldn't score from the 1yd line in preseason vs. the Raiders.

F-minus67
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
we should have known something was wrong last year when the Bills pulled of a tackle option play in game one.

Porky
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM

When Dom Capers walked into the office the day after the Browns game at the end of the 04 season, and wasn't fired. :brickwall

TexasJedi
05-02-2006, 02:47 PM

When we signed Victor Riley to play Left Tackle!

Rightnow
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
When Capers said on 610 am one Monday, "I think play calling is overrated."

BattleRedGuy
05-02-2006, 03:16 PM
When we thought the heat would affect the Steelers and we're the ones practicing in a bubble.

Double Barrel
05-02-2006, 03:23 PM
When we thought the heat would affect the Steelers and we're the ones practicing in a bubble.

lol: Funny! And good point, too.

...when we fired our offensive coordinator two games into the season!

Hervoyel
05-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I actually thought they turned ugly in the Cleveland game of 2004. Everything seemed to go downhill after that.

It first got ugly in Denver that year. It wavered back and forth for the rest of the season but our wins after that game came almost exclusively against lousy teams. Yeah we shut out the Jags but I don't put much stock in that because we almost always played the Jags tough in our first three years. The only time we didn't either beat them or threaten to beat them was when we started rookies at QB and RB during 2003 when we were signing street free agents to start on our D-line because of all the injuries.

Anyway the Texans showed what their half and half Capers/Palmer offense was going to turn out like against Denver in 2004. That was a preview of the 2005 season.

Vinny
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Finish the sentence, I'm curious as to see when/what people thought things turned ugly last year.

My thoughts:

"We should've known something was wrong last year when R. Smith started lining up at fullback."

Who's next?
In the preseason vs. the Cowboys Carr was 7-of-19 for 52 yards, two interceptions, which ends up a passer rating of 5.7. That was an ominous performance....I know, I just watched it again yesterday. :superman:

In retrospect we didn't have a lead for a single second in a single game until we played the Browns in week 8

Double Barrel
05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
In the preseason vs. the Cowboys Carr was 7-of-19 for 52 yards, two interceptions, which ends up a passer rating of 5.7. That was an ominous performance....

Think people will be so quick to dismiss preseason game performances this year?

I've got a feeling that the Texans preseason games will be scrutinized by our fans more than any other teams and their fans.

mexican_texan
05-02-2006, 06:19 PM
In the preseason vs. the Cowboys Carr was 7-of-19 for 52 yards, two interceptions, which ends up a passer rating of 5.7. That was an ominous performance....I know, I just watched it again yesterday. :superman:

That and the TB blowout seirously lowered my expectations.

swtbound07
05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
we should have known something was wrong when "we just didnt execute"

BattleRedRaider
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
we should have known something was wrong when the Texans lost to the Rams and Ryan Fitzpatrick.....and the fans weren't surprised.

HJam72
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
....when Capers fired the OC that he'd been stifling on play-calling for 3 years (not that Palmer was great or anything) and promoted the O-line coach.

TexanSam
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
We should have known something was wrong last year when JP Losman looked like the 2nd coming of Dan Marino.

or

We should have known something was wrong last year when more people were looking for Astros updates on the big screen than actually watching the game.

OzzO
05-02-2006, 08:27 PM
....when the number one priority of the offseason was to get protection for Carr.... then they implemented a quicker drop and a buzzer.

DRIFTAWAY
05-02-2006, 09:13 PM
... when dom capers said something to the extent of us being 0-4 is the same as 4-0 or something along those lines.. can't quite remember

Wharton
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
We should've known something was wrong last year when we let our two best defensive player and leaders go to other teams.

We should've known something was wrong last year when we couldn't beat the Brown to go 8-8 the year before. I was down hill after that.

ClintonPortis26
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
"You knew somthing was wrong with the Texans when"

Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a future NFL Starting Quarterback and the next week he faces a REAL Defense and gets dominated...

powerfuldragon
05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
"You knew somthing was wrong with the Texans when"

Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a future NFL Starting Quarterback and the next week he faces a REAL Defense and gets dominated...

Please. Spare me from the memories.

HomeBred_Texan
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
We should have known something was wrong when there were so many empty seats BEFORE halftime....

RTP2110
05-03-2006, 08:24 AM
.......when Jaime Sharper made his, who's going to lead us to the light at the end of the tunnel quote.

SESupergenius
05-03-2006, 08:35 AM
We should have known when our off season last year was adding by subtracting in letting Glenn and Sharper go and then replacing them with Greenwood and Buchanon. Oi! Add to that that we didn't bring in any offensive linemen other than Riley and you have a forumla for unsuccess.