PDA

View Full Version : I am amazed at the response this team gets from fans and media.

playoff year please
05-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Look people, many thought this team was a potential wild card hopefull last year. Of course their record stunk. Capers was a terrible coach. All 4 seasons had a potential to win more games if we were more aggressive. This team is now better than they were before last season. Kubiak will not play to just be in the game in the 4th quarter, he will put a team away if he can. He will make his team fight till the end and won't make excuses and say we had a chance. We must rally behind this team. We can't watch what happens with Bush or Young and say what if, because they could have come here and died of heat stroke in training camp. Nobody knows what happens when you put different players in different situations. This team is pretty good in my opinion, they just lacked a leader. Now we got one, so lets kick some horses butts. :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

gtexan02
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Sorry to be the Bobo of this thread, but I've lost all my confidence in this coaching staff. Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher, don't you think that means they would have to scheme more to stop Bush than Williams? Also, why do we need 8 starting-caliber DEs (Williams, Weaver, Payne, Smith, Johnson, Babin, Kalu, and Peek). Why have we tied so much money into our DL?

The fact of the matter is that our HC had one of the easiest decisions in the history of football. And they blew it. What if its 4th and 6 and playoffs are on the line? Will we run a slant to AJ or a run up the middle? I don't know any more, as Kubiak has proven he cannot be trusted to make wise football choices. He is batting 0.000 right now

We're going to have to make some huge salary cap cuts in order to make room for this 54 million dollar DE after signing Weaver for a Pro-Bowl contract and spending half our previous drafts on Babin

mike230765
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
what if it was 4th and 6 and we were on defense and mario stuffs the run or makes the sack or pressures the qb to make a bad throw or deflects the pass with his hands??????????. We don't know but i really do like the defensive additions and the o-line additions in this draft. I liked Reggie but I think we needed Mario aslong as he does become an elite DE.:superman:

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm not amazed at all. Listen, I know it is great to be part homer and agree with almost everything they have done but in general the paying customer has every right to voice an opinion on the subject. They are an expansion franchise that in 4 years rose some and then went back to square one. Everyone making decisions (I guess not Charlie because he defers all decisions to everyone else...Teflon CC..smell the sarcasm) has to take responsibity for the decisions and what happened. I'm excited about Kubiak but there is no saying..sitting here right now that the team will thrive under him. Like draft picks it is a wonderful hope that I hold onto. We, IMHO, have made strides but until they hit the field and grow over the next couple of years we won't know what we have. In reality, considering their 4 year history, the media and fans have every right to be weary until the oranization turns it around and earns the respect.

Keyser Soze
05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Sorry to be the Bobo of this thread, but I've lost all my confidence in this coaching staff. Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher, don't you think that means they would have to scheme more to stop Bush than Williams?

Not all of the GMs had Bush as No. 1. You need to pay attention better.

Read this for starters:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjZs3DwgeN6Nqm0.T3jg9M1DubYF?slug=whymar io&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Here, I'll make it easy on you. This is the important part:

Yet not every team has Bush first on their draft board. At least seven have Williams rated No. 1. "I think Williams is the cleanest player in the draft -- no flaws in his game," says one NFL general manager who had Williams first. "He is an impact player, a rare guy at a valuable position. Bush is rare, too, a special college player. But will he be special in the pros? You wonder about his durability."

Now that I've gotten over the shock of it, I'm really warming up to the fact they had the stones to do what they thought was right.

Almost forgot, I need to pay the balance on my season tickets. I'll do that right now.

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Look people, many thought this team was a potential wild card hopefull last year. Of course their record stunk. Capers was a terrible coach. All 4 seasons had a potential to win more games if we were more aggressive. This team is now better than they were before last season. Kubiak will not play to just be in the game in the 4th quarter, he will put a team away if he can. He will make his team fight till the end and won't make excuses and say we had a chance. We must rally behind this team. We can't watch what happens with Bush or Young and say what if, because they could have come here and died of heat stroke in training camp. Nobody knows what happens when you put different players in different situations. This team is pretty good in my opinion, they just lacked a leader. Now we got one, so lets kick some horses butts. :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:
truth is, even as bad as we were, we could have won a lot more games, if we were a little more aggresive...... sure, there were some dropped balls, but you gotta keep firing...

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher

And how do you know this? Do you have anything to back it up? Everyone clamored about Bush being once in a lifetime player, but would that not suggest that you must do whatever it takes to get him? 30 teams decided not to trade up for him and one team passed on him. New Orlenas did not receive a call from Friday night to Saturday before they were on the clock. People bought into the hype and they deserve the red arses that they have because of it.

SnakeOilTanker
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
We dont have 8 starting quality DE's

Johnson, Smith and Payne are DT's

Kalu is nothing but a back up. Babin hasn't proved he can be a quality NFL pass rusher yet.

By my count that leaves us with 3, Weaver Peek, and Super Mario.

Weaver isn't a pass rusher. So that would leave us with one "pass rusher" and he has been far from dominant.

BigBull17
05-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Also, why do we need 8 starting-caliber DEs (Williams, Weaver, Payne, Smith, Johnson, Babin, Kalu, and Peek). Why have we tied so much money into our DL?

Babin and Peek arent starting caliber DE, they are tweeners who could play clear passing downs and rush the passer.Payne, Johnson, and Smith are DTs so they are out. Kalu is a vet on a 1 yr contract who is there mostly for TC competition. So that leaves two starting DE: Weaver and Williams. Weaver is more of a run stuffing DE and will play DT on passing downs. They needed a true everydown pass rusher who won be a complete bullseye in the run game, and they got him.

Dime
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Sorry to be the Bobo of this thread, but I've lost all my confidence in this coaching staff. Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher, don't you think that means they would have to scheme more to stop Bush than Williams? Also, why do we need 8 starting-caliber DEs (Williams, Weaver, Payne, Smith, Johnson, Babin, Kalu, and Peek). Why have we tied so much money into our DL?

The fact of the matter is that our HC had one of the easiest decisions in the history of football. And they blew it. What if its 4th and 6 and playoffs are on the line? Will we run a slant to AJ or a run up the middle? I don't know any more, as Kubiak has proven he cannot be trusted to make wise football choices. He is batting 0.000 right now

We're going to have to make some huge salary cap cuts in order to make room for this 54 million dollar DE after signing Weaver for a Pro-Bowl contract and spending half our previous drafts on Babin

I just wish I had the all-knowning insight to all like you do. I wish I could predict the future.. and had a thing for Bush to say he is our savior.

But I dont.

You need to either get over the fact that our new coach had the nads to step up and make football descisions for his team to ultimately improve it, and making moves to make us the best team in the world, or move to a different board. You apparently know nothing of our needs and what outstanding moves he has done since he has been here to change them. You take a Offensive coach for 7 years who felt the powerhouse was in the offense, and he saw something in Williams that made him feel he was the best choice. You can scoff and complain all you want, but since K has been here.. We have gotten alot better. :texflag:

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 11:20 AM

How can you lose confidence in a staff before they have ever caoched a down?:confused:

I'm really confused by this.
:brickwall

Dime
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
We dont have 8 starting quality DE's

Johnson, Smith and Payne are DT's

Kalu is nothing but a back up. Babin hasn't proved he can be a quality NFL pass rusher yet.

By my count that leaves us with 3, Weaver Peek, and Super Mario.

Weaver isn't a pass rusher. So that would leave us with one "pass rusher" and he has been far from dominant.

Rofl... some people can just be funny.

So.. We have 3 DT's.. I agree.
Babin hasnt proved anything... oh really, A DE in college hasnt proved anything in the Pro's when he was moved to LB. Oh wait, he HASNT PLAYED DE for us yet, which was his skill. Maybe you should get off his back until you seehim play DE ths year.

Your going to bash Weaver already... freaking unreal. Hasnt played a down and you are already judging him based on this scheme. Dude.. you need to get some caffine in you. Your grumpy in the morning.

Hardcore Texan
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Wow, that's amazing, we haven't even played one down of training camp, preseason, not to mention a regular season game. And you have lost confidence in the staff. I just don't get it......

Let the staff do their work, show some faith.

Dime
05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Babin and Peek arent starting caliber DE, they are tweeners who could play clear passing downs and rush the passer.Payne, Johnson, and Smith are DTs so they are out. Kalu is a vet on a 1 yr contract who is there mostly for TC competition. So that leaves two starting DE: Weaver and Williams. Weaver is more of a run stuffing DE and will play DT on passing downs. They needed a true everydown pass rusher who won be a complete bullseye in the run game, and they got him.

And see... some people have had thier caffine.

The Preacher
05-02-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=gtexan02]Sorry to be the Bobo of this thread, but I've lost all my confidence in this coaching staff. Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher, don't you think that means they would have to scheme more to stop Bush than Williams?

Wow not even one call on the field and you have lost all confidence? That's pretty extreme. There is a reason most teams in this league have been perennial losers for years on end. They essentially don't know how to build a great team and adjust to the changes in the game. The Patriots collectively found a philosophy that promotes winning. The aspects include great defense, the team is more important than the individual, and good game planning. There will be ten new head coaches in the league this year. Clearly finding someone to help put a team together is a challenge. As a contrarian if most coaches think Reggie was a better pick than Mario then the chances are Mario was the best pick. There are only a few FO's in the league who are enjoying a lot of success. NE, Pitt, Denver, Seattle, Indy and Philly. I think Kubiak from the moves that have been made fits into this mold. Time will tell. In the meantime I personally don't care what the consensus among most teams are because most have never won much. The Walsh's and Belichiks' of the game are few and far between but Kubiak's moves have the NE team philosophy blueprint all over them. As one who believes the best way to find life the way it was intended is by giving it away it makes sense to me that to have success on the field you need to find guys who are willing to sacrifice themselves for a greater good. That has clearly been the case so far with no exceptions and this certainly includes passing on Reggie if all the accusations are indeed true. This is all very encouraging IMO. :twocents:

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
First, the names in bold are not starting caliber DEs. three of the eight, aren't even DEs........ if they are listed as DEs in a 3-4, they are really DTs.
Peek is too small to think he would start as a DE on any NFL team. & Kalu....... I'm not sure, but I don't think he is starting caliber on a good team.

secondly, it's about fit. Look at D'Brick, sure, he'll be a dang good OT on at least 70% of NFL teams..... but not in Denver... hence, we don't value him as highly as 70%(+) teams. Reggie, I don't care what everyone else says.... Shanahan, and no one who has ever bought into what he is doing in Denver values a runningback(regardless who he is) as a #1 pick. The only thing Kubiak was interested in, was his trade value, and you can take that to the bank.

That definitely puts Shanahan(and his coaching tree) in a minority amoung NFL coaches..... which is why you can get a ProBowl Cornerback for a 2nd round running back.

This league has found no problem stoping Brian Westbrook, Marshall Faulk, or Michael Vick. Scheming will beat speed everytime. It might take teams time to figure out the puzzle, but it'll be cracked eventually.

Look what happened to Steve Smith in Dallas.

What if it's 4th and short...... and you need that first to put the game away. do you have Reggie on the sideline holding you hand??

We got Moulds for a 5th, and less than $4 million a year. We've got a ProBowl Center. We've got Walthers for a 4th..... We've got a young tightend, that's proven in the passing game..... We've got a running system, that will change a 4.1 ypc to a 5 ypc.......

We picked up the 3rd best Ofensive Tackle in this draft, plus an outstandingly athletic prospect for LT, both in the third round. Most of us would have pulled the trigger on Winston early in the second, and we would have missed Demeco Ryans, who all these experts you agree with considered a great pickup in the second.

So purely football decisions, I think most people agree that Kubiak is batting a thousand..(1.000)

Kubiak has inherited a mess...... he still has to make the right decisions for this team. He's done a great job improving the talent on offense... who has a better tandem @ WR?? Who has the better QB?? Who has the best running game in the AFC south?? In our division, I think we hold the #1 or the #2 spot in all those questions.

Now defensively?? We've got the youngest most explosive front 4..... depending how they line up. But if we put

Babin......... Smith........... Williams....... Peek

in the game, somebody's getting hurt.

SnakeOilTanker
05-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Rofl... some people can just be funny.

So.. We have 3 DT's.. I agree.
Babin hasnt proved anything... oh really, A DE in college hasnt proved anything in the Pro's when he was moved to LB. Oh wait, he HASNT PLAYED DE for us yet, which was his skill. Maybe you should get off his back until you seehim play DE ths year.

Your going to bash Weaver already... freaking unreal. Hasnt played a down and you are already judging him based on this scheme. Dude.. you need to get some caffine in you. Your grumpy in the morning.

I'm not bashing Weaver, I think he's a really good addition..he's just not a push rusher, he's a run stopper.

Yao Ming isn't a point guard...am I bad talking Yao?

Texans86
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry to be the Bobo of this thread, but I've lost all my confidence in this coaching staff. Sure maybe they thought Williams was the best choice, but if all the other GMs had Bush rated higher, don't you think that means they would have to scheme more to stop Bush than Williams?

If all the other GM's jumped off a cliff, does that mean our GM should too. Wait, that's not constructive criticism at all.

gtexan02
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Jeez a little uptight aren't ya'll. People defend most strongly what they are most insecure about I guess.
A) First and foremost, get off my back about the 8 starting DE comment. I clearly meant DL and if you read the rest of my post, you would know that.
B) Second, to write off Babin OR Peek at this stage of the game is purely ignorant. Mario Williams hasn't played a down at NFL DE, and neither have Babin or Peek. Both had dominating stats as college DEs (Babin had 30 sacks and over 50 tfls in his last 2 seasons of college)
C) Kubiak's coaching ability is much more than how the team plays on the field. I CAN and WILL continue to judge him prior to game 1. I can do this because he influences player choices and acquisitions, team meetings and practices, etc. To say it is too early is silly
D) It was printed in an ESPN article that 21 of 27 GMs interviewed had Bush rated higher than Williams. I'd say at least 90% of scouts/analysis people at ESPN also had the same. If you want, I can find you a source for this. What I was trying to say is that if 21 of 27 teams had Bush rated higher than Williams, it would seem that 21 of 27 teams would be MORE scared of the Texans if we had made the other choice. As it stands, only 6 of 27 teams are now MORE scared of the Texans. Scared teams have to scheme more, and thats always a good thing

So feel free to argue with me all you want, but in my opinion, instead of taking a pretty close to unanimous consensus BPA, we went with what we thought was a football decision. Too bad we've now invested a HUGE portion of our salary cap into our already stacked DL and have ignored the sack problem for the 5th year in a row. Bush would have taken pressure off DC, and that is invaluable to the production of our offense

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
It was printed in an ESPN article that 21 of 27 GMs interviewed had Bush rated higher than Williams. I'd say at least 90% of scouts/analysis people at ESPN also had the same. If you want, I can find you a source for this. What I was trying to say is that if 21 of 27 teams had Bush rated higher than Williams, it would seem that 21 of 27 teams would be MORE scared of the Texans if we had made the other choice. As it stands, only 6 of 27 teams are now MORE scared of the Texans. Scared teams have to scheme more, and thats always a good thing.

I'm sure that teams were more scared of Olajuwon and the Rockets more than the Bulls and Michael Jordan initially. It is funny how that perception was wrong. Could this be the same situation? Only time will tell.

For the record, I preferred Bush, but I am not presumptuous enough to know which decision was the correct one. I guess we will know in a few years.

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Too bad we've now invested a HUGE portion of our salary cap into our already stacked DL and have ignored the sack problem for the 5th year in a row. Bush would have taken pressure off DC, and that is invaluable to the production of our offense

We probably picked up the best RT prospect in this draft period...... Eric Winston.

And a guy who may be as good at the LT position as anyone who has played in a zone blocking offense.

so put that to bed.

now Reggie helping David Carr........ @ 201 pounds soaking wet?? c'mon.....

Marvin Harris, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, and Edgerin James couldn't keep Palamau off Peyton....

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm sure that teams were more scared of Olajuwon and the Rockets more than the Bulls and Michael Jordan initially. It is funny how that perception was wrong. Could this be the same situation? Only time will tell.

For the record, I preferred Bush, but I am not presumptuous enough to know which decision was the correct one. I guess we will know in a few years.

What's really going to cook your noodle, is would Jordan have been jordan had he come to Houston??

I'm guessing not.........

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
What's really going to cook your noodle, is would Jordan have been jordan had he come to Houston??

Or if we had won any championships with him, whatever level he played at.

gtexan02
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM

I hate the Jordan-Bush comparison because Basketball can totally be a 1 player sport. Now that being said, yes Jordan would have been Jordan. He is simply the best player sports has ever seen in my opinion, and could win at any cost. He was truly amazing and no team would have changed that

Errant Hothy
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I hate the Jordan-Bush comparison because Basketball can totally be a 1 player sport. Now that being said, yes Jordan would have been Jordan. He is simply the best player sports has ever seen in my opinion, and could win at any cost. He was truly amazing and no team would have changed that

Someguy named Wayne Gretzky never did anything? I mean who has the nickname "The Great One"? Who, at age 9, was destroying players more then 5 years older then him? Who ahs the jersey retired acorss the entire league?

Sorry, I feel better now. Pet peeve of mine, that Jordan is the greatest sports player of all time.

Oh and is it possible for Bush to leave up teh hype of being teh Jordan in this analogy?

Porky
05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't think we can say that they ignored the sack problem, when they drafted two potential good starting offensive lineman, although I do get the broader point that Bush would have forced the defense to play on their heels instead of attacking and blitzing. Think back to the Steeler game where Mr. Hair was blitzing the heck out of us all day long. Think they would do that with Moulds, AJ, and Bush as major weapons? Not. So, in that sense, Bush, as I argued for a long time, would do more to help the oline, than any lineman we could have drafted. But, at this point, we can't rewrite the past.

I also think that the drafting of Williams tells us alot of what they think about Babin. You know, the guy that the last guy said would solve our pass rush problems, and gave up most of the rest of our draft for. Hmmmm, sound familiar? :stirpot:

William.carter
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Jeez a little uptight aren't ya'll. People defend most strongly what they are most insecure about I guess.
A) First and foremost, get off my back about the 8 starting DE comment. I clearly meant DL and if you read the rest of my post, you would know that.
B) Second, to write off Babin OR Peek at this stage of the game is purely ignorant. Mario Williams hasn't played a down at NFL DE, and neither have Babin or Peek. Both had dominating stats as college DEs (Babin had 30 sacks and over 50 tfls in his last 2 seasons of college)
C) Kubiak's coaching ability is much more than how the team plays on the field. I CAN and WILL continue to judge him prior to game 1. I can do this because he influences player choices and acquisitions, team meetings and practices, etc. To say it is too early is silly
D) It was printed in an ESPN article that 21 of 27 GMs interviewed had Bush rated higher than Williams. I'd say at least 90% of scouts/analysis people at ESPN also had the same. If you want, I can find you a source for this. What I was trying to say is that if 21 of 27 teams had Bush rated higher than Williams, it would seem that 21 of 27 teams would be MORE scared of the Texans if we had made the other choice. As it stands, only 6 of 27 teams are now MORE scared of the Texans. Scared teams have to scheme more, and thats always a good thing

So feel free to argue with me all you want, but in my opinion, instead of taking a pretty close to unanimous consensus BPA, we went with what we thought was a football decision. Too bad we've now invested a HUGE portion of our salary cap into our already stacked DL and have ignored the sack problem for the 5th year in a row. Bush would have taken pressure off DC, and that is invaluable to the production of our offense

One question, if every GM in the league thought so highly of Bush, if he was such a can't miss prospect, then why didn't anyone make a serious move to step up and get him. When it was clear we were going to pass on him everyone and their dog knew that New Orleans would get him. So why not deal for the pick with us and keep him out of New Orleans hands. We had a need for a defensive playmaker and we got it. Bush and Mario both have to prove themselves, but until they do, one way or the other, we don't know who is Jordan and who is Bowie. Which is a crappy comparison but it seems to be the one everyone relates to.

ucfbuc55
05-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm a long-time Bucs fan who happens to have taken a liking to the Texans when they came into the league. I'm pretty surprised at all of the negative feedback the Texans are receiving about not drafting Bush or Young. I know it was tough passing on Bush, but there is no way I would have drafted Young. I still think Carr can be a top-tier QB, especially with Moulds on board. And you know Kubiak will have an excellent run game (D.Davis is above average). You have a Pro-Bowl kick returner and a solid kicker. Outside of Dunta Robinson, I don't know what else you have on D.

I guess I'm just saying that if you had not picked up Carr's option and drafted Young, you would be worse than you are now, IMHO. I hope that Mario is the real deal and he shuts up all those Bush-backers. Who knows, maybe Davin Joseph will be a perenial Pro-Bowler at guard, & the Bucs youngsters will grow up quickly and we can be the first home team to host a Super Bowl (vs. the Texans!) in '07-'08!

Keep hope alive!!! PEACE!

BattleRedRaider
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm a long-time Bucs fan who happens to have taken a liking to the Texans when they came into the league. I'm pretty surprised at all of the negative feedback the Texans are receiving about not drafting Bush or Young. I know it was tough passing on Bush, but there is no way I would have drafted Young. I still think Carr can be a top-tier QB, especially with Moulds on board. And you know Kubiak will have an excellent run game (D.Davis is above average). You have a Pro-Bowl kick returner and a solid kicker. Outside of Dunta Robinson, I don't know what else you have on D.

I guess I'm just saying that if you had not picked up Carr's option and drafted Young, you would be worse than you are now, IMHO. I hope that Mario is the real deal and he shuts up all those Bush-backers. Who knows, maybe Davin Joseph will be a perenial Pro-Bowler at guard, & the Bucs youngsters will grow up quickly and we can be the first home team to host a Super Bowl (vs. the Texans!) in '07-'08!

Keep hope alive!!! PEACE!

Wow, an actual compliment in the midst of the useless post-draft complaining

And I want to thank the Bucs, for giving Cadillac Williams playing time to help me on my way to my Fantasy Football League's championship victory! :yahoo:

Bobo
05-02-2006, 06:46 PM

I never had it to begin with -- but I've lost it for totally different reasons other than the ones you listed. The Williams choice was a no-brainer -- it was the only thing they really could have done, given their situation.

zeplin
05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I think there will be a lot of CROW eaten on this board. Who cares what the other GM's thought about RB. I care about what our team requires to be competitve not another NFL franchise. Kubiak has spent his time here in Houston addressing the Texans needs, Maybe all 8 DL are not slated to play DL in the new scheme maybe our head coach really does know what he is doing, Geez lets give this a chance. I think that the negative comments that I keep reading are not going to help the Texans win games. We are not NFL coaches on this board and we probably should allow the one we have to do his job without the underminning BS.

houstonhurricane
05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I have paid enough in PSL's and season tickets to complain all I want. I don't really expect the franchise to listen to me, but at least it makes me feel better (my wife may disagree with that statement). I was a supporter of picking Bush and disagree with the Williams pick. Of course I based that on the ten minutes of film I studied this year...

Bobo
05-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I think that the negative comments that I keep reading are not going to help the Texans win games. We are not NFL coaches on this board and we probably should allow the one we have to do his job without the underminning BS.

A.) Are you implying that positive comments translate into victories? Perhaps we should blame the fans then for all their negative comments regarding Capers early in the season. Bad vibes, yuh no. B.) Let me point out that, as far as on-the-field, NFL head coaching game experience goes, I'm just as much an NFL head coach as Kubiak is.

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I have paid enough in PSLs and tickets to have to watch Carr the last four years. This is by the far the best I have felt for any upcoming season.

zeplin
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
A.) Are you implying that positive comments translate into victories? Perhaps we should blame the fans then for all their negative comments regarding Capers early in the season. Bad vibes, yuh no. B.) Let me point out that, as far as on-the-field, NFL head coaching game experience goes, I'm just as much an NFL head coach as Kubiak is.

I was not implying anything. If you choose to read it that way then you have read more into it than I intended. If your implying that you are as qualified to coach this team then I would say Give me a break. If you want to personalize the comments go for it. I was just saying that what good are all the negative comments, period.

trublu
05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Not all of the GMs had Bush as No. 1. You need to pay attention better.

Read this for starters:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjZs3DwgeN6Nqm0.T3jg9M1DubYF?slug=whymar io&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Here, I'll make it easy on you. This is the important part:

Yet not every team has Bush first on their draft board. At least seven have Williams rated No. 1. "I think Williams is the cleanest player in the draft -- no flaws in his game," says one NFL general manager who had Williams first. "He is an impact player, a rare guy at a valuable position. Bush is rare, too, a special college player. But will he be special in the pros? You wonder about his durability."

Now that I've gotten over the shock of it, I'm really warming up to the fact they had the stones to do what they thought was right.

Almost forgot, I need to pay the balance on my season tickets. I'll do that right now.
So then a majority of the teams still felt Bush was a better choice. Cause 7 out of 32 still leaves 25 teams that thought Bush was the obvious choice.

Samer
05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I have faith in the decision, we needed a pass rusher to ease the pressure on the secondary

edo783
05-02-2006, 08:23 PM
So then a majority of the teams still felt Bush was a better choice. Cause 7 out of 32 still leaves 25 teams that thought Bush was the obvious choice.

Actually it was 19 or 20 teams. The others were a mix of Hawk, DBrick etc., but your point is still valid, the majority had Bush #1. However, it's also very valid that it was far from everyone agreeing he was the #1.

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
And how do you know this? Do you have anything to back it up? Everyone clamored about Bush being once in a lifetime player, but would that not suggest that you must do whatever it takes to get him? 30 teams decided not to trade up for him and one team passed on him. New Orlenas did not receive a call from Friday night to Saturday before they were on the clock. People bought into the hype and they deserve the red arses that they have because of it.

There has been multiple sources that said 21 of 30 GMs had Bush rated higher. Maybe the total survey number was off but it was 21. Heard this on the radio, on ESPN and in article. This post shows me something though...people need to wake up. I am pretty darn positive on this board but people who think that fans can't make constructively critical comments are crazy. When you don't win and are trying to move up..all fans are welcome.

TexansTrueFan
05-02-2006, 09:26 PM

ok regardless of how other GMs ranked him, i would base our pick on the teams needs, i mean do u think the chargers would of drafted him,,,prolly not since they have LT, they would have gotten a guy that could make an impact at a position in which they were weak at. And we arent weak at running back either cause, D.D is more than capable of beign our full time starter. So in a reality the choice we made isnt all that bad, or suprising.

Dime
05-02-2006, 10:38 PM

So obvious that a total of none traded up to get this once in a lifetime back.. isnt that interesting.. a back like no other.. and everyone saw fit to stay put

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
There has been multiple sources that said 21 of 30 GMs had Bush rated higher. Maybe the total survey number was off but it was 21. Heard this on the radio, on ESPN and in article. This post shows me something though...people need to wake up. I am pretty darn positive on this board but people who think that fans can't make constructively critical comments are crazy. When you don't win and are trying to move up..all fans are welcome.

Get off your emotional soap box. Please do not quote me anymore if you are going to rant against what I was ranting against. It really is senseless. Unfortunately emotion can sometimes get our better posters out of sorts.

dwilt72
05-03-2006, 12:03 PM

OK, you ask for backup and then you make a statment like this? I heard the Jets were trying to move up but decided not to. It takes a lot of ammo to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft and I guess NY decided not to do it. However, I don't think you can absolutely say that no one tried to move up to #2.

thunderkyss
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
OK, you ask for backup and then you make a statment like this? I heard the Jets were trying to move up but decided not to. It takes a lot of ammo to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft and I guess NY decided not to do it. However, I don't think you can absolutely say that no one tried to move up to #2.

I heard five teams made offers....... three teams wanting Vince, and two wanting Reggie..... So that's 3 teams(counting N.O.) out of 32(counting Houston) that wanted Reggie.

DocBar
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I gotta tell ya...I loved this draft. I was NEVER sold on Bush OR VY for simple reasons. Bush-see Kijana Carter with Cinci. VY- QB is the hardest position on the field and the easiest to fail at.
Bush split time with White so he was NEVER an every down back. We have enough money tied up in DD to gamble on a RB with that kind of cap hit. Not to mention DD's injury-prone past. Why throw #1 overall QB money at a guy who only touches the ball 15-20 times a game?
Enough said about VY.
Williams has all of the potential they have. And it's ALL potential for any draftee. Just look at the other talent we got. Rounds 2 and 3 were the showstoppers for me. This might not help a lot this year, but 2007 is gonna be one heckuva year.

BigDTexansFan
05-03-2006, 06:03 PM

got a question for you then, if Bush is so AMAZING, how come no one moved heaven and earth to get Bush...HUH??? FIVE teams called when told what it would take to get #2...EVERYONE said NO THANKS!!!

BARRY SANDERS my myopic friend

this is not GOLF, this is a sport played by a TEAM!!!, how did Barry's team do in 10 years they had the All-World RB Barry Sanders

Detroit Lions 1989-1998

FIVE winning seasons, of 5 losing seasons they went 5-11 three times.

TWO division titles in 10 years

1-5 in playoff games (ONLY going to playoffs in years had a winning season)

Bush will put up numbers that will get him mentioned weekly and might end up in Hall of Fame (as did Sanders), BUT since when do individual stats win Super Bowls.

If the little JERK had any brains he would have done what it took to get in Houston, he would have had a solid OL, WRs to take pressure off of him and a RB that would allow him to take plays off (like he did in FOURTH QUARTER of Rose Bowl). Instead he will be running behind a bad OL with a QB who has questions about can he come back from 2 shoulder surgeries.

Good Luck Reggie..you will need it, BTW keep banking that money since your career might be shortened by carrying EVERY down and injuries.

HoustonFrog
05-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Get off your emotional soap box. Please do not quote me anymore if you are going to rant against what I was ranting against. It really is senseless. Unfortunately emotion can sometimes get our better posters out of sorts.

Hey my man, no one was trying to make a point of your posts. In fact you are one of my favorite posters. I just was responding to some posts on here..and you happen to echo some of the same ideas. The point I was making is that I can attempt to make a football related point on the board without being labeled as negative. I don't want to get to a point where I am afraid to express an opinion because the mass will swallow me up. I just am not going to agree with everything, no matter what respect I have for people. The last two days if I even wrote one cross word I got attacked and I don't want it turning into a "1984" board. I was just trying to prove out what was reported.