PDA

View Full Version : Time for Casserly to Go!

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
After a very successful draft..IMHO..Casserly needs to go. It is time. I'm tiring of his boorish behavior. Before some people start to compare what I am saying to what Justice, the flip-flopper, said this morning in the Chronicle, realize that I have said these same things for years and my posts in this past year say the same. I even had a letter about Casserly printed in the Chronicle. The ironic part was it was in response to some glowing praise that Justice had given him. Justice even wrote me back. For some unknown reason, however, Justice finally hit on points that have gotten under my skin for a bit. Charlie is a surly man and though his livlihood is allegedly making tough decisions he becomes defensive when questioned. Why pay a guy hundreds of thousands of dollars if he can't make decisions. He blames the coaches and his MO is to defer to coaches..so he says. He throws everyone else under the bus. Listening to Charlie on the radio yesterday was like listening to Justice or McClain themselves. His story changed every interview. Last week his pre-draft interview on 610 included a full segment explaining how Bush was the same size as Portis and other backs before him and that he could be used 15 times in the backfield, how he can line up in the slot and do some returning. He explained how the guy only needed so many touches because he turned games. Yesterday, he did the same thing to Bush that he does to coaching staffs, left him for dead. He talked about Bush not being an every down back and how he didn't play in the end of the USC game. The guy is making the circuit and gets more and more surly as he is asked and presented with more and more conflicting stories on the contract and on his evaluation. He does what he does best....not shutting up. Lets just pull the cord on this one and get a new working relationship with a new staff. Charlie bridged the gap and it is time to go. I'm tired of paying a guy to have people under him gather stats and then giving it to a coach. I have stayed positive and haven't tried to make waves on this board but two people bring it out of me..Carr and Casserly. I want one to turn it around. The other one I could care less. Here is the Justice article from today's Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3833638.html

Marcus
05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
You had a better shot of having credibility with this thread if you had left Richard Justice out of the picture.

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Just as the players get a pass with Capers, I believe Cass gets a pass and has shown what he can do when he has coaches who know what the hell they are doing. I seriously doubt that Capers and crew ever had an executable plan in the off, pre and regular seasons.

If this is what we can expect from the Kubiak-Capers axis moving forward, then re-sign him.

the wonger need food
05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Casserly has won me over with this offseason and draft, even if the results don't translate on the field yet. It seems like they're building a solid foundation now, where Capers was building on shifting dirt. Best quote from the article and my biggest complaint with the organization so far...

"His biggest blunder was not convincing McNair to fire Capers after the 2004 season. By that time, both McNair and Casserly had questions about Capers' judgment and management style.

They probably knew where last season was headed. Yet neither man did anything to head off the problem."

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
You had a better shot of having credibility with this thread if you had left Richard Justice out of the picture.

Maybe but I am just planning ahead for people to say that I was following what he said. If anything I only gave him credit for this article and acknowledged his flip-flopping

Just as the players get a pass with Capers, I believe Cass gets a pass and has shown what he can do when he has coaches who know what the hell they are doing. I seriously doubt that Capers and crew ever had an executable plan in the off, pre and regular seasons.

If this is what we can expect from the Kubiak-Capers axis moving forward, then re-sign him.

Kaiser, I just can't go with that. We are paying a guy to basically gather information like an admin asst and then hand it off to someone else. In he end we have a personnel person who will never take responsibility because it is always the coaches fault. I also don't fully believe that all of those guys were Dom guys. Again, why pay Charlie if he can't do his job. Send him off, as they did in Washington, with one good draft behind him because of a coach(Gibbs) and let a new guy come in with Kubiak in the interviews. It is just like Washington. I can't stand the way he is dealing with the top draft pick. He alienated more than soothes situations over. I trust some of you guys to give Kubiak better advice more than Charlie. He is lucky he got this year.

TwinSisters
05-02-2006, 09:05 AM
I wonder just how smart Dom Capers would have looked, if Tony Boselli would have panned out and not been in rehab until retiring this past year.

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Before the draft, I would have agreed with you. Now I'm starting to think the same argument that has been made for Carr at QB might apply to Casserley at GM.

IMO, the first mistake he made was hiring Dom Capers. I never thought the guy was anything close to competent during his tenure at Carolina. It seems like the organization's futility has been a result of that decision.

But, if it's true that he has made personnel moves on behalf of the former coaches, then I think he deserves another chance.

IMO, the statements he made yesterday were not necessarily flip-flopping so much as misinformation. Leading up to the draft, nobody is expected to tell the truth anyway. The Sporting News article yesterday gives a pretty good explanation of how they came upon the Mario Williams decision.

For a team in transition, it seems like these guys had a really good draft. It also seems like they've got a pretty good working relationship now.

I'm losing respect for the Chronicle writers. Especially Justice and Lopez. I thought they were able to see an issue from more than one perspective, but instead they're pouting because the team didn't consult them before taking Mario.

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Before the draft, I would have agreed with you. Now I'm starting to think the same argument that has been made for Carr at QB might apply to Casserley at GM.

IMO, the first mistake he made was hiring Dom Capers. I never thought the guy was anything close to competent during his tenure at Carolina. It seems like the organization's futility has been a result of that decision.

But, if it's true that he has made personnel moves on behalf of the former coaches, then I think he deserves another chance.

IMO, the statements he made yesterday were not necessarily flip-flopping so much as misinformation. Leading up to the draft, nobody is expected to tell the truth anyway. The Sporting News article yesterday gives a pretty good explanation of how they came upon the Mario Williams decision.

For a team in transition, it seems like these guys had a really good draft. It also seems like they've got a pretty good working relationship now.

I'm losing respect for the Chronicle writers. Especially Justice and Lopez. I thought they were able to see an issue from more than one perspective, but instead they're pouting because the team didn't consult them before taking Mario.

Again, I see these points but it pisses me off even more that a personnel guy, someone in charge of an expansion franchise can get away with 4 years of have to make no decisions in some people's book (drafts, trades, coaches) and then is given a hall pass because he did well once with the new guy. This is just like Washington. Why pay him to defer authority and then have an excuse when it fails? So our owner defers to a guy who defers to the coach?Wow, no wonder we have had 4 bad years. Kubiak is a smart guy luckily. It was flip-flopping yesterday because he threw Bush under the bus also. Just shut your mouth and defend the pick instead of bad mouthing the non-pick.

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
I wonder just how smart Dom Capers would have looked, if Tony Boselli would have panned out and not been in rehab until retiring this past year.

Tony Boselli should never have been a consideration with the top pick in the expansion draft. Seems to me like shoulder injuries are the hardest to recover from. IMO, a shoulder injury is a red flag.

the wonger need food
05-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Boselli was never really expected to play. The Texans had to take his salary so they could pick up Payne and Walker.

If Capers was banking on Boselli to anchor the offensive line he's even dumber than anyone gives him credit for.

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Kaiser, I just can't go with that. We are paying a guy to basically gather information like an admin asst and then hand it off to someone else. In he end we have a personnel person who will never take responsibility because it is always the coaches fault. I also don't fully believe that all of those guys were Dom guys. Again, why pay Charlie if he can't do his job. Send him off, as they did in Washington, with one good draft behind him because of a coach(Gibbs) and let a new guy come in with Kubiak in the interviews. It is just like Washington. I can't stand the way he is dealing with the top draft pick. He alienated more than soothes situations over. I trust some of you guys to give Kubiak better advice more than Charlie. He is lucky he got this year.

I feel your pain, but I look at the full body of work this off season and I have no complaints. The sting of Bush hurts many, but the fact is is that Bush was never our #1 option. Someone in the FO and staff needs to be the heavy in negotiations as this is big business and Cass executed the role admirably.

When I read between the lines it appears that Williams agent thought Cass was playing riverboat gambler and Segal thought he could push Cass over, both wound up being incorrect and we got everyone we wanted on the first day. In business and sports it is about the result and we nailed it in my opinion.

Texans_Chick
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Listening to Charlie on the radio yesterday was like listening to Justice or McClain themselves. His story changed every interview. Last week his pre-draft interview on 610 included a full segment explaining how Bush was the same size as Portis and other backs before him and that he could be used 15 times in the backfield, how he can line up in the slot and do some returning. He explained how the guy only needed so many touches because he turned games. Yesterday, he did the same thing to Bush that he does to coaching staffs, left him for dead. He talked about Bush not being an every down back and how he didn't play in the end of the USC game.

Before the draft you want to talk up the guys at the top of the draft. In case someone wants to trade up.

It is an interesting dance teams have to play because they need to fool the other teams, but at the same time the run the risk of their fan base falling in love with a player they are not going to take.

CC is all about trying to translate college performance into NFL skill sets. (I'm guessing he has learned that through hard experience). He doesn't care about hype one bit, other than trying to use it to get trades.

Dude is a vulcan.

http://images.usatoday.com/community/_photos/casserly.jpg

That is why he wears his hair so longish. To cover up his pointy ears.

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Dude is a vulcan.

But he is our Vulcan. :)

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Before the draft you want to talk up the guys at the top of the draft. In case someone wants to trade up.

It is an interesting dance teams have to play because they need to fool the other teams, but at the same time the run the risk of their fan base falling in love with a player they are not going to take.

CC is all about trying to translate college performance into NFL skill sets. (I'm guessing he has learned that through hard experience). He doesn't care about hype one bit, other than trying to use it to get trades.

Dude is a vulcan.

That is why he wears his hair so longish. To cover up his pointy ears.

LOL..he really is

You guys may be right. I don't get too fired up about much on here but he is one guy whose demeanor and circumstances has always rubbed me the wrong way. I guess we will see here in the near future.

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Again, I see these points but it pisses me off even more that a personnel guy, someone in charge of an expansion franchise can get away with 4 years of have to make no decisions in some people's book (drafts, trades, coaches) and then is given a hall pass because he did well once with the new guy. This is just like Washington. Why pay him to defer authority and then have an excuse when it fails? So our owner defers to a guy who defers to the coach?Wow, no wonder we have had 4 bad years. Kubiak is a smart guy luckily. It was flip-flopping yesterday because he threw Bush under the bus also. Just shut your mouth and defend the pick instead of bad mouthing the non-pick.

I agree that the guy has screwed up in the past. Seems like the GM duties are divided now as a result. Also agree that the deferring is kinda spineless. Especially when everybody's deferring to a buffoon.

If Dan Reeves' assessment was that Casserly stays on, then I can't help but think that the organization's problem was Dom Capers. Seems like Casserly was probably doing his job here the way he did in Washington. Problem is that Capers isn't Joe Gibbs.

I never was sold on Bush with the needs of the defense. I'm glad now that he can hold another franchise hostage. Now that I find out that Bush was the smokescreen, I almost admire the way that was done.

***edit***
I type so slow that all of my points were made by everybody else 10 minutes earlier. lol

Texans_Chick
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
But he is our Vulcan. :)

Every ship needs a Vulcan. A surly one.

You know, I'd be surly as heck too if I had his job. Imagine. Everywhere you go, people who don't know a lick about football are telling you what you need to do.

Bonehead fan: "Hey Charlie, I can't believe you picked a defensive player. That's boring. _________ is gonna be great!"

CC: "See, that's where you're wrong, see. How long have you been involved in football operations, watching film, talking to players, see?"

Bonehead fan: "Never done it. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

I have to say I like Charlie. He cracks me up.

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
BTW, the more Justice I read, the more convinced I become that he's trying to take a page out of the Bayless playbook. I think he's trying to gain ESPN cred by acting so sensationalist.

Texans_Chick
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
BTW, the more Justice I read, the more convinced I become that he's trying to take a page out of the Bayless playbook. I think he's trying to gain ESPN cred by acting so sensationalist.

Completely.

The other day I was listening to him on 610 and they were talking about Tony Kornheiser. And Justice said that the best thing about Tony is that when people call his radio show, and he doesn't know the answer to something, he (paraphrasing here) "won't talk about it, because unlike the rest of us, he won't pretend he knows stuff when he doesn't." I heard that and just laughed because it is like Justice on the NFL, as opposed to baseball.

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Bonehead fan: "Hey Charlie, I can't believe you picked a defensive player. That's boring. _________ is gonna be great!"

CC: "See, that's where you're wrong, see. How long have you been involved in football operations, watching film, talking to players, see?"

Yeah, that interview yesterday reminded me of Cagney for some reason. Glad somebody else noticed. :rofl:

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Completely.

The other day I was listening to him on 610 and they were talking about Tony Kornheiser. And Justice said that the best thing about Tony is that when people call his radio show, and he doesn't know the answer to something, he (paraphrasing here) "won't talk about it, because unlike the rest of us, he won't pretend he knows stuff when he doesn't." I heard that and just laughed because it is like Justice on the NFL, as opposed to baseball.

Yep. Sports journalism is dead, sports editorialism is unfortunatly alive and kicking.

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Completely.

Dear Lord. And they have Kornheiser doing MNF. Maybe they can get Stephen A. Smith and have 4 hours of two guys yelling at each other in the loudest voice possible.:)

nunusguy
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Everybody was basically pleased with the team and its progress after the
conclusion of the 2004 season, except for that cloud on the horizon that
was the season-ending loss to Clevland. And therefor they were content with
Capers and Casserly going into the 2005 season.
What happened in 2005 is still partly a mystery, but with the 2005 season
every thing turned around for the GM and the HC. But the OL fiasco centered
around the choice to go with Victor Reiley at LT and the decision to draft and start Babin as a main pass rushing weapon were two failures that contributed to the teams demise in 2005, and both were of Capers & crews
making.
So I dunno.....if the 2006 ends up being a turnaround season for us, should
Casserly get some credit for that ?

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Everybody was basically pleased with the team and its progress after the
conclusion of the 2004 season, except for that cloud on the horizon that
was the season-ending loss to Clevland. And therefor they were content with
Capers and Casserly going into the 2005 season.
What happened in 2005 is still partly a mystery, but with the 2005 season
every thing turned around for the GM and the HC. But the OL fiasco centered
around the choice to go with Victor Reiley at LT and the decision to draft and start Babin as a main pass rushing weapon were two failures that contributed to the teams demise in 2005, and both were of Capers & crews
making.
So I dunno.....if the 2006 ends up being a turnaround season for us, should
Casserly get some credit for that ?

That is a good question. Since he blames coaches for when things go wrong and he admitted that Kubiak, in the end, wanted Mario, then he should be content to take no credit when some pan out because he doesn't have the sack to own up to picks. I thought it was pretty weak of him to trash Bush yesterday. He is not a person that needs to be out and the face of teh texans right now. McNair was more empassioned and made more sense yesterday than Charlie.

cuppacoffee
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Bob Allen had Mr McNair on his show Monday night. Allen asked about Casserlys future with the club. Mc McNair was very non-committal.

I had been thinking that Cass would be back. After listening to this interview I now have my doubts.

Mr McNair did mention Cass has one year left on his contract.

It wasn't mentioned, but I believe Cass now has the option to finish our his contract or resign. JMHO though.

This from a Casserly supporter, I would like for him to stay.

:coffee:

TwinSisters
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Boselli was never really expected to play. The Texans had to take his salary so they could pick up Payne and Walker.

If Capers was banking on Boselli to anchor the offensive line he's even dumber than anyone gives him credit for.

Are you sure about that?

That's not the story I know. Do you have a source from a half way respectable place ( not saying this is in a confrontational way... more in a I would like to know the facts kinda way )
-----

I am not so sure you can pin everything on the coaches when half your roster is less then durable and sitting around "getting better". Is that not the job of the GM to scout durability?

Porky
05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Casserly needs to go. His spin doctering is getting old. He threw Bush under the bus yesterday on 610 and on Bob Allen's show Sunday night. Classless and clueless.

the wonger need food
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Are you sure about that?

That's not the story I know. Do you have a source from a half way respectable place ( not saying this is in a confrontational way... more in a I would like to know the facts kinda way )
-----

I am not so sure you can pin everything on the coaches when half your roster is less then durable and sitting around "getting better". Is that not the job of the GM to scout durability?

I can't site any sources right now. It was known that he had a serious shoulder injury that he could possibly never recover from.

The previous coaching staff was a collective boob and Capers was the nipple. He lost the players with his ridiculous "playing not to lose" game planning in 2004 and that just carried over to '05. The guy promoted the worst offensive line coach in the NFL to Offensive Coordinator. The list is too long to get into right now, but the bottom line is that the guy was overmatched as an NFL HC.

Malloy
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I have to say I like Charlie. He cracks me up.

I believe he's 100% devoid of social skills and therefore gives many the impression that he is an elephant in a china shop. He's all about the business and does not give a damn about popularity, which is perfect. Else we could just get Justice as GM...

To quote John Cleese in the Flying Circus "I know my views arn't popular, but I do not seek popularity"

Needless to say, I like Cass :)

the wonger need food
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Casserly needs to go. His spin doctering is getting old. He threw Bush under the bus yesterday on 610 and on Bob Allen's show Sunday night. Classless and clueless.

Threw him under the bus? Didn't he just state concerns that a lot of us had all along.

Leon Bush, his greedy family and gangsta friends are probably going to cost SC a couple of National Championships. The Texans don't need that kind of publicity.

Malloy
05-02-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree, I actually wanted Bush but I am glad we don't have to worry about his off field problems now. It's actually kind of a relief we didn't draft Bush.:twocents:
Did anyone notice how small he was standing by Mario, lol.

Imagine how small Bush will look with Mario standing over him ;)

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Threw him under the bus? Didn't he just state concerns that a lot of us had all along.

Leon Bush, his greedy family and gangsta friends are probably going to cost SC a couple of National Championships. The Texans don't need that kind of publicity.

No, he was classless...or should I say inappropriate in his comments. It wasn't Bushes fault he wasn't in the game in the Rose Bowl. That is the coach and Charlie brought that up twice yesterday. The week before he raved about the kid. Bush did nothing to him. So why not just stick to pumping up how much Mario will improve our D instead of demeaning another player and questioning him?Not trying to be funny but it was bushleague. The guy has zero social skill and zero ability to deal with adversity. If someone can answer to me why you pay a man to defer decisions, thus having no accoutability, I'll listen. Until then, Charlie is just running around half cocked with me in amazement.

HoustonFrog
05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
So Matt Jackson and them are talking about Casserly and his comments in an interview and they are just as amazed that his answers are as simple as, "we liked the guy, so we TOOK A SHOT." Guess what, I agree with them, after 4 years of failure you "take a shot" on your first round pick. You take the given.

kbourda
05-03-2006, 01:48 AM
So Matt Jackson and them are talking about Casserly and his comments in an interview and they are just as amazed that his answers are as simple as, "we liked the guy, so we TOOK A SHOT." Guess what, I agree with them, after 4 years of failure you "take a shot" on your first round pick. You take the given.

Great point. Casserly is a gambler. I can see if his track record (his one with the Texans) was unblemished and we at least had one winning season under his guidance. This man has shown to be unapologetic(while most fans on here are apologetic for his actions) and plays a hard line stance all in vain. What do we have to show for it as a franchise, team, and community? If he keeps at this pace, let's see.................. Four years, 25 plus picks, 4 quality (Johnson, Pitts, Robinson, Davis) picks and several positions that are vastly overpaid. If I were a blind man i'd swear he was Matt Millen. Is this something to defend? Maybe i'm being harsh but I honestly don't feel i'm saying anything that isn't true.

SESupergenius
05-03-2006, 08:22 AM
No, you are spot on. I just have no confidence in his abilities, in fact I am unsure what his abilities are. He basically blamed Capers and his staff for all the bad drafting and now he thinks he's a genius in taking Williams. Has he said anything to the effect that it was Kubiaks choice? He is such a weasel and honestly he's not a very strong GM, nor a very good one looking back at his track record. The fact that we now have players on our team that were highly paid or selected in high rounds that will just waste away on the bench or be let go with severe hits to our salary cap tells me that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Low Life
05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
So maybe now would be a good time for somebody to confirm or shoot down the rumor that casserly will be taking a position with the NFL offices and leaving Houston.......

Mr. White
05-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I hope somebody calls him out for being sensationalist. Seems like he'll say whatever will get him attention.

Mr. White
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Now he's talking like he's on board with the Mario pick. I can't believe this guy.

cuppacoffee
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
So maybe now would be a good time for somebody to confirm or shoot down the rumor that casserly will be taking a position with the NFL offices and leaving Houston.......

Cass already did in his interview with Bob Allen on channel 13's draft special.

He said the rumors about the NFL job were false.

He did say he was unsure if he was going to remain with the team, that he and Mr McNair were to have a sit down to discuss it.

I now think he will be allowed to resign, which in my opinion, will be a mistake.

kbourda
05-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Cass already did in his interview with Bob Allen on channel 13's draft special.

He said the rumors about the NFL job were false.

He did say he was unsure if he was going to remain with the team, that he and Mr McNair were to have a sit down to discuss it.

I now think he will be allowed to resign, which in my opinion, will be a mistake.

For whom?

El Tejano
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
When I read this thread over, I am beginning to realize that the staff didn't want Reggie to begin with and I think they were trying to play that card to create a trade.