PDA

View Full Version : Tramon Williams signed

Texans34Life
05-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Texans | Team agrees with UDFA T. Williams
Mon, 1 May 2006 16:25:59 -0700

ESPN.com reports the Houston Texans have agreed to a contract with undrafted rookie free agent CB Tramon Williams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150722

Master Po
05-02-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.latechsports.com/article.php?article_id=2006_05_01_14:39:40

Tech’s Williams, Santiago Sign Free Agent Contracts

RUSTON – A pair of Louisiana Tech defensive standouts signed free agent contracts Monday as cornerback Tramon Williams and linebacker Byron Santiago inked with NFL teams.

Williams signed a three-year contract with the Houston Texas while Santiago inked a three-year deal with the Green Bay Packers.

Santiago’s agent Jack Reale said that in addition to the Packers, the Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets were also very interested in signing the Violet, La., native but that the Packers won out.

“Bottom line is the Packers were able to sign Byron because they were the most aggressive,” Reale said Monday. “They brought him in a week or so ago and really liked his visit and how he did in his pro day.”

Reale said Santiago would head to Green Bay Thursday for the team’s rookie min-camp.

During his Tech career, Santiago saw action in 44 games including making 27 starts at outside linebacker for the Bulldogs. He recorded a career total 274 tackles, including 133 solo stops and 141 assisted tackles, with a career-high total of 107 tackles in 2003.

He was named first team All-Western Athletic Conference and All-Louisiana following his senior season.

Williams also had numerous free agent offers including Carolina, Atlanta, New York Giants, New York Jets and the Pittsburgh Steelers but opted to sign with the Texans.

The New Orleans native led the nation in passes defensed as a senior with 16 pass break ups and three interceptions while also registering 43 tackles, including 29 solo stops.

Williams, who secured a starting position for Tech midway through his junior campaign, totaled 25 pass break ups and seven interceptions over his final two years in college after starting his college career as a walk-on.

The 6-foot-0 Williams said he would attend the Texans rookie mini-camp starting at the end of this week.

HJam72
05-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Pardon my ignorance here, but those stats look really good to me (I mean leading the nation in pass break-ups, for instance), so why was he undrafted? How good do we expect him to be?

hot pickle
05-02-2006, 12:51 AM
well looks like alot of teams were interested in him, maybe theres some hidden talent there, lets hope so.

Imagine him taking the 2nd corner sport half way though the season, now that would be a steal right there

Ibar_Harry
05-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Pardon my ignorance here, but those stats look really good to me (I mean leading the nation in pass break-ups, for instance), so why was he undrafted? How good do we expect him to be?

He played well in the WACC. A lot of WACC players have to earn there way on NFL teams through the undrafted route.

I don't understand how Shack from Fresno State did not get a look. He protected Penniger very well. He was part of that group that featured Mankins.

Lot of these guys from small schools don't get that many looks. Although some of the best players seen have come from small schools. Pastorinni was from Santa Clara.

Vinny
05-02-2006, 01:00 AM
You can only draft so many players...there are an insane amount of football players out there and NFL rosters are not unlimited.

HJam72
05-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey, I was undrafted! I like money. :)

jzentz
05-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Just so you all feel a little better, I live in Boise and covered Boise State football. Tramon Williams is a talented player, but he's raw. He played in a pass-happy conference and did his job well, considering how many balls were thrown his way, which may have helped lead to his impressive numbers. But what I saw I liked. In my mind, he showed that he could play up to the level of Fresno State CB Richard Marshall, who was drafted 26th in the second round by Carolina. Williams will just take a little more time to develope.

Texas
05-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Sweet!...