PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rush = Better Secondary

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Don't forget that a better pass rush equates into a better secondary. Hopefully with some more experience and a guy like Duante back there the added pass rush will help out and the stats will show a huge improvement.

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 08:27 AM
]']The theory is that after 3 seconds, coverage will break somewhere. You can have a HOF secondary and will still get burned.

Exactly..that is what happened in the Rams game. A team can lose leads quick when they have no one touching the QB and he is playing flag football.

Scooter
05-01-2006, 08:54 AM
]']The theory is that after 3 seconds, coverage will break somewhere. You can have a HOF secondary and will still get burned.

yes, and as the steelers proved, you dont have to get to the qb every time to make a difference. hurries, and being in the qb's face is going to make even the most poised throwers like manning & brady make uncharacteristic mistakes. combined with tackles for loss & sacks, the added pressure greatly increases turnover potential, both as forced fumbles and those mistakes turning into interceptions.

jerek
05-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Don't forget that a better pass rush equates into a better secondary. Hopefully with some more experience and a guy like Duante back there the added pass rush will help out and the stats will show a huge improvement.

Glad to see someone else recognizes this.

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Listening to Michael Smith who wrote the pro Mario piece for ESPN and he makes alot of sense too. You won't outscore these teams, you have to smack them in the face.

Texans Horror
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think the pass rush will be too good this year. I hope it is, but a big factor is which Mario Williams shows up at the games - Super Mario or Luigi?

Vambo, the Marble Eye
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM

Game planning with a decent pass rush changes the style of the offense too. If we start having some "take aways" or forcing a couple of "3 downs and out" we can get much more liberal in playcalling (and exciting) on offense.

Double Barrel
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
There were so many times last year that I would scream my head off in frustration because opposing QBs had all day in the pocket. No matter how good your coverage is, it will eventually break down when you give QBs 10 seconds to wait for someone to get open.

To me, the failure to put any pressure on the pocket was our most glaring defensive weakness. Hopefully this draft has addressed that issue head on.

Grid
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
It aint all on Williams either. Our new DC is creating a more simple, and much more aggressive, defense. Our existing players will look better in that kind of system as well.

Ibar_Harry
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
yes, and as the steelers proved, you dont have to get to the qb every time to make a difference. hurries, and being in the qb's face is going to make even the most poised throwers like manning & brady make uncharacteristic mistakes. combined with tackles for loss & sacks, the added pressure greatly increases turnover potential, both as forced fumbles and those mistakes turning into interceptions.

I think Carr can attest to that......

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 10:54 AM
It aint all on Williams either. Our new DC is creating a more simple, and much more aggressive, defense. Our existing players will look better in that kind of system as well.

Hopefully it opens things up for some guys to get to the ball and pursue. That is one thing I loved about watching Pitt was when the ball got into someones hands, Porter and Polamalu where flying to the ball.

humbleone
05-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Well said. IMO, Texans fans/media are going to be absolutely shocked at how much better our defense will be this year. I know that most fans love to see the scoreboard light up and all that but what really gets me going is to see a defense that just knocks the stuffing out of opposing offensive players every chance they get. Go Texans :yahoo:

jerek
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
There were so many times last year that I would scream my head off in frustration because opposing QBs had all day in the pocket. No matter how good your coverage is, it will eventually break down when you give QBs 10 seconds to wait for someone to get open.

To me, the failure to put any pressure on the pocket was our most glaring defensive weakness. Hopefully this draft has addressed that issue head on.

To you? Obviously Kubiak agreed. And I do too. :)

Daonly
05-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Look how better the Titans got when they drafted Kearse?? They went to the SuperBowl that year. It always good to have a pass rusher. Peppers, Freeny.. Teams would die to have one of those players on their team!

Mario will have alot of motivation to play hard from the begining, First to prove folks wrong about going #1. #2 he does get a Fat Bonus if he Gets 12 sacks in any of the 1st 5 years of the contract.

We couldn't trade down and take Mario, because it was garanteed he was going to the Saints if we took Bush; and the Titans be damn to move up and grab a QB and give up some picks to a rival,and pay Young Preminum QB #1 pick money when they can't even pay none of their rookies till they get rid of Mc Nair.

The Jets had the chance at Lienart and Cutler at #4 they didnt take them.; You saw where Lienart and Cutler Fell, #10, and what #15 overall?? So I do believe Charlie when he said he didn't have no one call up to swap picks.
We had to take Mario #1.

Saints took Bush, for one reason,yeah he a great Talent; but they needed someone to sell tickets and hype up a DEAD! I REPEAT a DEAD CITY.... They using Bush.. like a HOE! to make Money!!! End of Story... So look for Bush to ask for a Crap load of Money..

thunderkyss
05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Alot of the Cowboy fans are thrilled they got Coleman..... they are saying our lack of a pass rush & poor coaching made him look a lot worse than he really is.

BigBull17
05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
I bet Dunta and P-Buc are drooling over our draft. A good pass rush = alot of int. With Williams comming in and using Peek and Babbin opposite him on pass downs is gonna be insane. Or you use Mario at DT and use both Peek and Babbin/Orr as DE to have a speed line up. It sounds like we may have a fun year watching our D.

Eyeguy
05-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't think the pass rush will be too good this year. I hope it is, but a big factor is which Mario Williams shows up at the games - Super Mario or Luigi?

Wiiiams, Peek, Babin, and T. Johnson are young quick linemen. I think the d-line plays the pass better than the run next year.

mike230765
05-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Daonly i like your reference to Bush. That is exactly why i tink they picked him. Also because they might be moving to L.A. in a few years.

pockets44
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but what I would love to see, is Babin/Peek lined up behind Mario at the outside backer spot for blitz situations. I know its been made clear that they are DE not OLB's. But imagine the headaches that could cause on say 3rd and long. Both are natural DE but have OLB experience and knowledge. Have mario and Peek come at a QB on the same side! Insurance premiums would skyrocket!

Eyeguy
05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but what I would love to see, is Babin/Peek lined up behind Mario at the outside backer spot for blitz situations. I know its been made clear that they are DE not OLB's. But imagine the headaches that could cause on say 3rd and long. Both are natural DE but have OLB experience and knowledge. Have mario and Peek come at a QB on the same side! Insurance premiums would skyrocket!

Texans say that Babin and Peek will play DE and will not play LB in new 4-3. I would like to see Mario and Peek on the same side on 3rd down. Mario at DT and Peek at DE, they could pull off quick hit stunts that would be a real problem for slower O linemen.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM

is this in reference to "not showing up at a high level each game?"

If you heard what Mario said about that reference, the game plans for him was to Contain, not pursue. towards the end I think the coaching staff let him loose (because of the draft possibly) and that is when he really shined.

That is the guy I would expect to be showing up consistently!!!

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
is this in reference to "not showing up at a high level each game?"

If you heard what Mario said about that reference, the game plans for him was to Contain, not pursue. towards the end I think the coaching staff let him loose (because of the draft possibly) and that is when he really shined.

That is the guy I would expect to be showing up consistently!!!

This morning he was on the radio and he also said some of it was technique. He was getting cut block and then once he coaches got to him he started to get around it and get to the QB.

Texans Horror
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Wiiiams, Peek, Babin, and T. Johnson are young quick linemen. I think the d-line plays the pass better than the run next year.

Youth and inexperience are what have me concerned. We have definitely upgraded the defense, but I think it is going to take a while before we see any of great results because of youth and inexperience.

I like what we have done, but our draft was a lot of projects, which take time to develop.

Grid
05-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Alot of the Cowboy fans are thrilled they got Coleman..... they are saying our lack of a pass rush & poor coaching made him look a lot worse than he really is.

Im sure it did make him worse. Im still glad he is gone though. He showed no heart or desire out there. Im sure there are plenty of excuses..but that doesnt make it excusable. Ill take a guy that goes out there and plays his heart out regardless of the situation.. be it no pass rush, or terrible coaching.

TheRealJoker
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM

Dont forget Robaire Smith, Seth Payne, and Anthony Weaver are exceptional run stoppers. The year before Robaire came here the Titans were named # 1 in the league against the run, Titans coaches say Robaire was the biggest reason for that. Look for him to show us why in our 4-3 this year. Weaver is said to be the premier run stopping de in the NFL. We will see why as well. Payne is getting older but he is still a good run stopper. Our d-line will be sick!!!:drool:

thunderkyss
05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Youth and inexperience are what have me concerned. We have definitely upgraded the defense, but I think it is going to take a while before we see any of great results because of youth and inexperience.

I like what we have done, but our draft was a lot of projects, which take time to develop.

speed and power............ shock and awe.

Babin........ R. Smith........ Super Mario..... Peek

Ouch.

El Tejano
05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
You may see this in a confusing 3-4 type of way. Remember the best thing about Mario Williams and Weaver is that they can slide to DT. So you may see the both of them coming up the middle but with the result coming from either Babin or Peek getting the sack because I am sure either Weaver or Williams is going to have to be double teamed.

The other thing I want everyone to consider is how fresh this line will be in the 4th quarter. Right now we have Robaire, Payne and Johnson who could rotate almost every down at the DT spot. Then we now have five DEs. If Peek and Babin are coming in on passing downs, you are going to have two very rested up defensive ends coming from somewhere. I think if we can look at this from a depth point of view and not a #1 pick point of view, we can see where this could possibly be the right decision.

TheOgre
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I think we will be good against the run, but struggle against the pass. The pass rush will be our only defense against getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

Tayton
05-02-2006, 10:19 AM
The Buchanan/Faggins spot is a REAL concern for me. Normally I would say that a better pass rush would help a CB. But these guys were beat all year with a single move not double moves. Both give too much cushion and can't close.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I think we will be good against the run, but struggle against the pass. The pass rush will be our only defense against getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

That is with most teams, without a pass rush, teams usually get lit like a christmas tree. The pass rush can make your DBs look like good to great DBs.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM

Inexperience and youth is the specific reason players need to believe in their coaches that they will lead them correctly. If these guys buy in and trust their coaches direction and just do it, they will do well.

kingh99
05-02-2006, 10:49 AM

Reggie Bush in the flat = non-ambulatory David Carr

Mr. White
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Reggie Bush in the flat = non-ambulatory David Carr

I keep hearing this, but I really don't understand what Reggie Bush could do to keep Dwight Freeney out of Carr's grille. Throw a block at him?

I guess instead we'll have to settle for Reggie flattening Julius Peppers with one of his devastating backfield blocks....