PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper draft grades - Tied for Highest

Trogdor014
05-01-2006, 03:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?id=2412734

Don't know if this has been posted.

Kiper's highest grade in his recap was a B+, and there were three of them.

Us, the Ravens, and 49ers received them.

The Titans got a B and the Saints, even with Bush, only got a C.

Specter
05-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I saw that Kiper gave us the top grade (tied). Maybe this will silence the critics a bit, I'll be on the lookout tomorrow on around the horn and PTI to see what they have to say about it. Either way, I'm really happy with our selections and in time everyone will see that Reggie was indeed about Reggie and not the team. I can't wait to see what the new tackles can do for us on the field but from what Eric Winston said in this website, man, it's going to be a good year! :redtowel:

SAMURAITEXAN
05-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I saw that Kiper gave us the top grade (tied). Maybe this will silence the critics a bit, I'll be on the lookout tomorrow on around the horn and PTI to see what they have to say about it. Either way, I'm really happy with our selections and in time everyone will see that Reggie was indeed about Reggie and not the team. I can't wait to see what the new tackles can do for us on the field but from what Eric Winston said in this website, man, it's going to be a good year! :redtowel:
I like to see what they have to say as well. Anyway, we sure did a fine job!:redtowel: :redtowel:

aj.
05-01-2006, 06:36 AM
I thought Kiper was a dumb ***?

Mike Kerns
05-01-2006, 06:41 AM
I thought Kiper was a dumb ***?
lol:

thunderkyss
05-01-2006, 06:41 AM
I don't think it will take long for folks to see that it was a sound decision. I doubt Reggie and Benson will come to terms before TC..... so that will work in our favor. Then when the Saints get down to figuring what they are going to do with their Gazillion dollar backfield, more comparisons will arise.

Then when the talking heads get their heads out of their butts, they'll draw the obvious comparisons to Denver, the system, and their history of drafting runnngbacks.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-01-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't know if he is or not but, he sounds decent given us B+!!

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I like Kiper. Hard to fault someones opinion who studies these guys year round. He actually is better to listen to on the radio about other sports compared to people we have around here. As for the grades, I think they will vary from site to site. It is going to be hard for people to look past the Reggie pick. They were saying on Mike and Mike how it is unfair because if Bush is awesome and Mario is is great, he will still be the Sam Bowie of this draft.

SuperMario
05-01-2006, 07:23 AM
IMO, Reggie was all about Reggie. He wanted the money first, team second. Even if we did drafted Reggie, I don't think he would have stayed anyways when his contract is up.:twocents:

beerlover
05-01-2006, 07:53 AM
IMO, Reggie was all about Reggie. He wanted the money first, team second. Even if we did drafted Reggie, I don't think he would have stayed anyways when his contract is up.:twocents:

I agree with you even though he said all the right things it always seemed like BS, you know when that salesmen is trying to sell you something you really wanted without any chance of getting a good deal becuase he knows or thinks you have no choice. guess agian Reggie :brickwall

OzzO
05-01-2006, 08:01 AM
To glance at Mel's notes of Texans

I would have taken Reggie Bush with the first overall pick. But I have to respect the pick of Mario Williams, especially if he's consistent from game to game. DeMeco Ryans at linebacker was a solid second-round pick, while Charles Spencer and Eric Winston will help out the offensive line. With tight end Owen Daniels and RB Wali Lundy, Houston did a very good job of sizing up the board

Personally, I don't see how one grades a draft to give it a certain "letter" - especially when they haven't played a down yet. I guess it's based off needs filled.

Never mind - guess I oughta read the opening statement.
There's a clear group of teams that addressed needs and will be better because of it, led by Baltimore, Houston and San Francisco. How all this translates onto the field remains to be seen, but for now the guessing and second-guessing has already begun.

HJam72
05-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Too be honest, I did get the feeling that Bush's whole persona was a little toooo good and fakish looking.

When the offseason first started, I was worried about Bush running between the tackles anyway and I'm still not totally, completely, without a doubt convinced that he can do it. He's gonna have to prove it. Maybe he will.

As I've made clear, it's not that first pick I didn't like, but I'll discuss that in another thread.

HOOK'EM
05-01-2006, 08:14 AM
I dont believe he really wanted to be here in Houston, thats why he priced his self out of here. I think he will do the same to the Saints!

HJam72
05-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Actually, no I'll talk about it here some. The thing about that little article that strikes me is that he had good things to say about Jimmy Williams and Winston Justice, both of which were available to us. Why is it that we pass on great players because of attitude and off-the-field concerns when somebody else is willing to take them? Ya know what? They got through college without getting kicked out didn't they? These guys are approx. 22 yrs. old. Of course they're gonna be a little nutso. I just hate to see this kind of thing happen over and over, year after year, and MOST of them wind up being Pro-Bowl caliber players with no major problems after we pass on them.

Jimmy Williams could have been our OTHER Dunta Robinson. Think about that! 2 OF THEM!!! I'm thinking about coverage sacks. I'm thinking interceptions and corners who WILL hit the opposing RB. Throw in KO Simpson now and I'm thinking about CORNER BLITZES. From which side? Who freaking cares, lol. Either way. Whichever is his blind side.

OK, I'll get over it. (I think.) :)

JDizzle
05-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Too be honest, I did get the feeling that Bush's whole persona was a little toooo good and fakish looking.

If you watch the tape of Bush holding up the Saints jersey, he's probably the only green roomer that wasn't smiling. Vince, Mario, Brick, etc were all smiling when they got picked. Heck, even Leinart was and he slipped all the way to 10.

Mike Kerns
05-01-2006, 08:33 AM
If you watch the tape of Bush holding up the Saints jersey, he's probably the only green roomer that wasn't smiling. Vince, Mario, Brick, etc were all smiling when they got picked. Heck, even Leinart was and he slipped all the way to 10.
I noticed that all week he had an ear to ear grin of pearly whites, but when he held up that jersey, it looked like a forced smirk. He was very transparent. I think he was/is wishing he hadnt "called our bluff" & just taken our initial offer.

HJam72
05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Got news for ya Reggie:

That was nooooo bluff. :)

caspian
05-01-2006, 08:50 AM

The main criticism by far is passing on Reggie Bush...which is the one thing Kiper said he disagreed with.

michaelm
05-01-2006, 09:07 AM
The main criticism by far is passing on Reggie Bush...which is the one thing Kiper said he disagreed with.

Well, Kiper didn't even mention the fact that we aquired Eric Moulds with a 5th and Kevin Walter with a 7th. That makes our grade that much higher.

What other team took it's 2006 draft picks and turned them into;
a starting DE
a #1b WR
a #3wr
a starting OLB
at least one OL starter, maybe two

five or six starters from one draft? that's pretty good. Of course, it also reflects on the quality of our previous starters, but still pretty good IMO.

bckey
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Kiper didn't go out on a limb here with his post draft grades. His lowest grade was a C and his highest grade was a B+.

Capster67
05-01-2006, 09:32 AM
It was good to see that the Texans drafted 5 players from ESPN's list of top 150 players. No other team in our division drafted more than 3 from the top 150.

HoustonFrog
05-01-2006, 09:45 AM
The worst draft review was on The Sporting News. He gave everyone a B for the most part and then gave us a D, basically saying we are idiots. He even gave the Bills a B+

bigTEXan8
05-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I certainly thought that this draft was one of the best this year, compared to a majority of the teams around the league. I personally would have given Denver an A, with the acquisition of Walker, getting Cutler to replace Plummer by next year, I thought it was a excellent draft for them. I am happy to see that the Texans addressed two dire needs (OL and D) with our first four picks. I like the TE, H-back the Texans picked up, who, if Joppru doesn't seem to make it back from all his injuries, should compliment Putzier very well. Don't know enough of the kid from Virginia.

Glacier
05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
why do people listen to Kiper?

How many picks did he get right this year?

lmao

I think he got 8 picks right in the 1st round last year???

He gave dallas a b- because they didn't address the saftey position???

Uhh....they drafted a 6'5" Safety that runs a 4.4. How is that not addressing the free saftey position?

The guy is a joke.

Kaiser Toro
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I think his post draft analysis like any prognosticator's is more interesting than the pre draft analysis. This is where it is about the team and the needs they filled rather than a field or tape evaluations on a college player.

Blake
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I think the main thing that hurt our "draft grade" is the lack of a saftey pick. Earl & Brown cannot be our starting two next year. Simmons is a great hard hitting backup, and Walker is a special team standout.

I think Ko Simpson in the 5th would have been an excellent value. But I dont know if the rumors of his stupidity are true. I am unable to talk to him.

Yankee_In_TX
05-01-2006, 10:08 AM
So that curves up to an A, right? :)

Glacier
05-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I think Ko Simpson in the 5th would have been an excellent value. But I dont know if the rumors of his stupidity are true. I am unable to talk to him.

I read somewhere that Ko Simpson scored amazingly low on his wonderlic....like...REALLY low.

Texans86
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Considering we also got a Pro-bowler and a solid #3 (Moulds and Walter), I'd say this draft was pretty sinkin' amazing. A safety would have been nice, but we had a lot of problems last year. Sure, we could have picked up a Band-Aid, but next year we might be able to get a stud prospect in the draft. We might even have a FS the team thinks can hold off for at least a year (Lord). Basically, we had a lot of needs, and we filled a lot of holes. Can't complain about that.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Kiper didn't go out on a limb here with his post draft grades. His lowest grade was a C and his highest grade was a B+.

Yep, that threw me off, because the ESPN lead in for his grades were that he graded "tough".

....."Houston did a very good job of sizing up the board." I believe that is true, but then game day will decide this in the end.:spy:

MikeMc
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
DEN got praise for trading to get Javon Walker (and all of his TO-esque tantrums), yet the Texans get no praise for obtaining Moulds for a 5th rd pick (especially when the Bills wanted a 4th)!!

Character is very important for Bob McNair....call him the anti-Jerry Jones. Why have a bunch of criminals and boneheads on your team, stirring trouble in the community?

The same goes for some college programs....winning at every costs sometimes causes problems. Just look at Miami's image of "Gangsta U". I am sure the people of South Dade/ Miami just love that!!

U4ikrob
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Think it was a nice draft for the Home team - addressed many needs, but not all. Nice getting some OLine depth and a nice Tackle to work with!! Will be great to finally have our own "Freeney-type" to harass QB's like Peyton, Brady, Roth, Vick, VY and the rest of the league with and create some pressure for a change instead of making 3rd string QB's look like pro-bowlers - We finally worked on a pass rush and a major pick up for our worst side of the team - IMO With our defense @ #31 last year its hard not to see why the FO went with D to help out. Not to mention we still have free agency and undrafted players to consider now along with June 1st cut players.

Kubes is showing his vision for the team and thus far i'm really liking most of the moves and think he's building not just for now, but for years to come. A sound Strategy IMO.

IMO- we will pick up at least 1 or more safeties or CB's before camps start.

Go Go Super Mario :superman: - Let's bring the heat in 06!!

pearland
05-01-2006, 12:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?id=2412734

Don't know if this has been posted.

Kiper's highest grade in his recap was a B+, and there were three of them.

Us, the Ravens, and 49ers received them.

The Titans got a B and the Saints, even with Bush, only got a C.

Mel Kiper is a MEDIA PERSON!! WHat has he done in the NFL to make him a creditable expert?

How many superbowls has he coached? How many times has he been a successful GM?

Ibar_Harry
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I guess we could quote McClain as he gave us a B not to far away from Kipers. Of couse he gave the Titans an A-. I guess we could call it the unbiased Young factor.

dalemurphy
05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I guess we could quote McClain as he gave us a B not to far away from Kipers. Of couse he gave the Titans an A-. I guess we could call it the unbiased Young factor.

McClain favoring the Titans. What an unexpected turn!:rolleyes: