PDA

View Full Version : The real reasons the Texans didn't take Bush?

Hookem Horns
05-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Some interesting things were mentioned by someone in a thread at texanstalk.com. Like this quote from SI by Bush ...

"Obviously I'd love to play in New York,'' Bush said Saturday. "I could have made a lot of money in the marketing [business in] New York.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/04/29/winners.losers/1.html

It was also mentioned that on Thursday, a Houston NFL reporter asked Bush how he felt about signing with the Texans, and this reporter mentioned that his reaction was something like "You better tell him (Bob McNair) to up his offer".

Bush comes off as a little arrogant, greedy, smart a**. In every interview I saw of Bush he always talked about wanting to be the #1 pick as in payday. He doesn't strike me as a team guy. He reminds me of that football player in those commercials who always talked in third person and everything was about himself. Something about him isn't right and JUST maybe the Texans saw all of this and decided to pass.

I DO NOT buy into the media hype of Bush, never have. I was always the one questioning why he was on the sidelines during most of the 4th QTR in the Rose Bowl and wasn't on the field during crunch time (of course that was cast of by most of you as VY propoganda). I find it interesting that Casserly mentioned the same thing tonight calling Bush a part-time player.

This guy might be a cancer type of player so McNair and company decided they were better off. I would love to believe these were the real reasons and this wasn't about Casserly trying to "outsmart" everyone.

BradK10
05-01-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_03/1013_bs04.gif=http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20051001/usc_75880.jpg

Hookem Horns
05-01-2006, 01:11 AM
http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_03/1013_bs04.gif=http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20051001/usc_75880.jpg

LOL. That IS the guy. I couldn't remember that guy's name or what that commercial was about. Thanks!

BradK10
05-01-2006, 01:12 AM
guys name was Leon, those spots were AWESOME

wenskek
05-01-2006, 01:13 AM

excellent comparison hahaha

kbourda
05-01-2006, 01:16 AM

That's about right. I always thought he had some Leon in him. But more than that I am of the opinion that Williams was flat out a settle. Bush wanted to get paid and the FO didn't want to pay him. Signability? Forgive me but Don King would hear that word and say "Huh?" For lack of a better term that was a "Bush League" move (no pun intended). You can over pay for Wade and Walker and take a hard line approach with a #1 pick because you don't like his proposal. Weak, no justification for it in my mind.

kbourda
05-01-2006, 01:20 AM
I DO NOT buy into the media hype of Bush, never have. I was always the one questioning why he was on the sidelines during most of the 4th QTR in the Rose Bowl and wasn't on the field during crunch time (of course that was cast of by most of you as VY propoganda). I find it interesting that Casserly mentioned the same thing tonight calling Bush a part-time player.

I noticed that too. CC is a BS'er. I know cause i'm one. He's making a weak attempt to "sell" this pick to the public. His guy is ruining this franchise and McNair is letting him.

Hookem Horns
05-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I stand by my opinion that Bush will not live up to the hype. I can say that now without people accusing me of saying that because of VY. I just don't think his style will translate well in the NFL and NFL teams will contain him like Texas did. I think he will end up being an explosive Eric Metcalf type of player, nice to have but not worth the first pick either and surely not along the lines as Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, etc.

While I wasn't high on Bush, my concern was with Williams being #1 pick material. However, maybe the Texans couldn't trade down and were stuck having to take the guy they really wanted a #1 even though he would have probably still been there at #4.

BradK10
05-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Honestly, I stand by my opinion that Bush will not live up to the hype. I can say that now without people accusing me of saying that because of VY. I just don't think his style will translate well in the NFL and NFL teams will contain him like Texas did. I think he will end up being an explosive Eric Metcalf type of player, nice to have but not worth the first pick either and surely not along the lines as Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, etc.

While I wasn't high on Bush, my concern was with Williams being #1 pick material. However, maybe the Texans couldn't trade down and were stuck having to take the guy they really wanted a #1 even though he would have probably still been there at #4.

Exactly, we got pigenholed.

Unfortunate situation because of the PR disaster it's causing, but the correct decision.

aj.
05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
However, maybe the Texans couldn't trade down and were stuck having to take the guy they really wanted a #1 even though he would have probably still been there at #4.

Mario could have very well gone at #2 to the Saints and that's what a lot of people tend to conveniently forget... 1-2 , 2-1 ... is the difference that measureable? (all hype on both players aside)

Huge1
05-01-2006, 02:07 AM

Williams would have been gone at #2. No way N.O. would have let him go past their pick. I have family outside of NOLA and all they talked about for weeks is how stoked the town (and the FO) was to get Mario.

Scooter
05-01-2006, 02:08 AM
anybody that saw the st louis game last year knows the real reason we took mario ... a 3rd string rookie from harvard, ouch. actually that could go for most any game last season. like the first game of the season when JP Losman torched us in his first game (and then proceeded to look like a bust against everyone else). if you saw larry johnson & shawn alexander's 200+ yard days against us, mario's your new best friend. jacksonville & indy both putting up 38 points against us last season arent some of my fondest memories. getting hammered into pulp by the steelers & losing to the 49'ers second string players isnt high on my list either.

i'm content with taking best defensive player.

Bobo
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
I noticed that too. CC is a BS'er. I know cause i'm one. He's making a weak attempt to "sell" this pick to the public. His guy is ruining this franchise and McNair is letting him.

Are you BSing us with your take here?

NRowl
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Exactly, we got pigenholed.

You don't sign the guy to a contract a day before the draft when you are pigeon holed.

Mysteryhunt
05-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Edge is getting 7.5/year from AZ, Bush will cost more than this. This to me seems ridiculous. I would rather have an older proven edge for millions less than a back to never play a down in the nfl. I'd like to hear some other people's opinions on this. I think addressing defence was the correct choice on so many levels.

aj.
05-01-2006, 06:35 AM
CC is FOS most of the time but when he says Bush would have been a part time player, he's not lying, especially with DD still here this year. Bush really would have gotten around 15 or so touches per game. Mario will play every play ~55 - 60 per game, if he can stay on the field.

V Man
05-01-2006, 07:15 AM
This is for the conspiracy people.

The NFL urged the Texans to take Williams so Bush would go to NO. Thus in 2 years when the Saints move to LA, Bush will be there to help sell the franchise to fickle LA fans. :spy:

Straightshooter
05-01-2006, 07:18 AM

The NFL urged the Texans to take Williams so Bush would go to NO. Thus in 2 years when the Saints move to LA, Bush will be there to help sell the franchise to fickle LA fans. :spy:

Agree :redtowel:

thunderkyss
05-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Bush wanted to get paid and the FO didn't want to pay him. Signability? Forgive me but Don King would hear that word and say "Huh?" For lack of a better term that was a "Bush League" move (no pun intended). You can over pay for Wade and Walker and take a hard line approach with a #1 pick because you don't like his proposal. Weak, no justification for it in my mind.

Wow Kbourda....... you've changed so much....... I can't believe you are so upset with passing on Reggie.

To be fair, Wade & Walker were overpaid due to the influence of Capers..... I know the head coach shouldn't make a difference, but we've been a lot more frugal since Kubiak came to H-Town.

By-the-by....... McNair would never represent a head case like Tyson(even though I love Tyson, you gotta admit he's missing a few) & therefore save this city from being associated with that fiasco........

16 teams made it to the playoffs last year without Reggie Bush, I gauruntee you 16 teams will do the same in 2006.

1) more and more is coming out about this free rent thing.... the Texans may very well made the right choice on Reggie's character. They sat down with him, they talked to him, so they have information that we don't... it's hard to say right now, but I have a feeling they were right.

2) This "rumor" about the $30 million makes sense. They more or less stopped talking to Reggie after his visit to Houston..... then the rumor was that he wanted a contract of equal to, if not better than Mario Williams(the #1 overall) as the second selection......... his Agent's statement, that Reggie will not play in New Orleans, leads me to believe this is also true. Watch out for Reggies Contract....... I expect it to be incentive laden, so that it may be worth more than Mario's $62 million(Bob ain't penny pinch'n here). On top of that, I expect his gauranteed money to be more than last years #2..... Ronnie Brown and more by a bigger percentage, than this years #1 was to last years......

3) 5 teams made offers to trade with N.O. for the #2 spot....... none of them were considered adequate........ This leads me to believe that there was no interest in Reggie @ the #1 spot........ I feel this is because of the way we "played the hand". But there weren't too many moves in the first round, for any of the guys we thought would draw the attention.

4) N.O.'s second pick was for Kiwanuka........... if we had taken Reggie, or traded down...... & someone else took Reggie, they would have taken Mario. It's much more feasible to believe Reggie would have been there at 4, and not Mario.

5) there has never been a RB like Reggie taken with the #1 overall....... never. 20+ carries in college is a must to be taken so high. Even at the 2 spot, but I assume N.O. knows what they are doing......... It's not like they ever paid too much for a running back before.

Texans Horror
05-01-2006, 07:31 AM
I know we had a horrible defense last year, but we also had an ugly offense, too. In fact, part of the problem has always been the 3-and-out Texans offense. The defense had to spend a lot of time on the field, so as the game got long, they got tired.

Adding Bush would have taken a lot of pressure off of Carr. Overall, this could be a great draft for the Texans. The two offensive linemen will take at least 2-3 years to develop, and Williams/Ryans, though likely to see a position this year, will probably not develop either.

Basically, I agree with people who think we could be in line for Adrianne Peterson next year. That's not a knock against Kubes. The system has improved, and I think we will be more competitive, but the teams got better this year. More to the point, I haven't seen anything to make me think Carr will definitely be able to get the ball to AJ and Moulds. Also, like last year, the defense is so young and fresh, they won't play as well as they will in another year or two.

Tale Gator
05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Casserly called Bush "a part-time player" on the news last night -- I think that speaks volumes.

thunderkyss
05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I know we had a horrible defense last year, but we also had an ugly offense, too. In fact, part of the problem has always been the 3-and-out Texans offense. The defense had to spend a lot of time on the field, so as the game got long, they got tired.

Adding Bush would have taken a lot of pressure off of Carr. Overall, this could be a great draft for the Texans. The two offensive linemen will take at least 2-3 years to develop, and Williams/Ryans, though likely to see a position this year, will probably not develop either.

Basically, I agree with people who think we could be in line for Adrianne Peterson next year. That's not a knock against Kubes. The system has improved, and I think we will be more competitive, but the teams got better this year. More to the point, I haven't seen anything to make me think Carr will definitely be able to get the ball to AJ and Moulds. Also, like last year, the defense is so young and fresh, they won't play as well as they will in another year or two.

Having Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Edgerin James didn't take a lot of pressure off Manning, when he played SanDiego or Pittsburgh. Our offensive line couldn't keep that kind of pressure off David, against the worse teams in the league... Arizona & SF.

Unless Reggie is the best pass protector to enter the NFL, I don't believe he would have helped as much as you think he would.

Mr. White
05-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Bush comes off as a little arrogant, greedy, smart a**. In every interview I saw of Bush he always talked about wanting to be the #1 pick as in payday. He doesn't strike me as a team guy. He reminds me of that football player in those commercials who always talked in third person and everything was about himself. Something about him isn't right and JUST maybe the Texans saw all of this and decided to pass.

This guy might be a cancer type of player so McNair and company decided they were better off. I would love to believe these were the real reasons and this wasn't about Casserly trying to "outsmart" everyone.

I think this is a really good point. Just reading between the lines, the dude comes off like he has an attitude. He tries to mask it by saying all the right things, but I'm not biting and I don't think the FO is either.

My prediction: give it a couple of years and the guy's gonna show his @$$.

Hookem Horns
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
My prediction: give it a couple of years and the guy's gonna show his @$$.

I don't think we will need to wait that long. Just wait until New Orleans tries to sign him.

SuperMario
05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't think we will need to wait that long. Just wait until New Orleans tries to sign him.
Reggie Bush is probally gonna hold out, which means Mario Williams for ROY!:yahoo:

Double Barrel
05-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Reggie Bush: "You better tell him (Bob McNair) to up his offer".

Reggie Bush: "I just have to get used to losing". (about going to the Texans)

lol: Funny, and probably closer to the truth than we realize.

Personally, in hindsight, I think Mario was the right pick not only for our most pressing needs, but also because of the drama we'll avoid that would have been inherent with Bush. RBs over-value themselves in this league, and Denver has proven time and time again that they can produce a solid, consistent running game with sound philosophy and a stout o-line.

Very few RBs are worth as much as they have in their heads. For every LT, there are a slew of others that end up choking on their huge contracts with new teams.

Chicagotexan1
05-01-2006, 11:51 AM

I swear to (whoever) that is what I truly believed when it went down, well I do believe we took Mario for our reasons. And I think they are valid. But I think Bush going to NO is part of the plan to get NO to move to LA. LA is spending millions to renovate the colosium and getting Bush back in LA brings an instant connection to the new team.

Ibar_Harry
05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I swear to (whoever) that is what I truly believed when it went down, well I do believe we took Mario for our reasons. And I think they are valid. But I think Bush going to NO is part of the plan to get NO to move to LA. LA is spending millions to renovate the colosium and getting Bush back in LA brings an instant connection to the new team.

Yes I can just see the Headlines:

the L A SAINTS, boy would that be a misnomer.

was385
05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
We have one of the best offences in the NFL and one of the worst defences. With a promising QB in Carr that will now have time to throw with a revamped O-Line and a 1,000-yard rusher behind behind Carr combined with the best reciever Tandem in football with Johnson and Moulds why would we need Reggie Bush?

This is the best way to describe it.
http://www.redandwhitefromstate.com/images/articles/20051126135536674_1.jpg

Now Imagine Peyton Manning in that number 14 uniform.

Ibar_Harry
05-01-2006, 12:17 PM
We have one of the best offences in the NFL and one of the worst defences. With a promising QB in Carr that will now have time to throw with a revamped O-Line and a 1,000-yard rusher behind behind Carr combined with the best reciever Tandem in football with Johnson and Moulds why would we need Reggie Bush?

This is the best way to describe it.
http://www.redandwhitefromstate.com/images/articles/20051126135536674_1.jpg

Mario's version of a slam dunk.....

Double Barrel
05-01-2006, 12:17 PM

oh, I'm already there...but I also imagine Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, Drew Bledsoe, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning and all the rest of our 2006 opponents' QBs in that position!

kingh99
05-01-2006, 12:21 PM

When I thought about NO and the connection to SoCal it became immediately obvious to me he maneuvered his way out of the first pick by giving off the vibe. It didn't take much as we were looking for a reason not to take him (conventional wisdom about primadonna RB's being a PITA).