PDA

View Full Version : How is our other 2nd rounder coming along?

Wolf
04-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Bennie Joppru
Position: Tight End
Drafted: Round 2, 41st overall
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 260
College: Michigan
Birthdate: January 5, 1980
NFL Comparison: Brent Jones

Strengths: Bennie Joppru, a good-hands tight end, was described as a "vacuum cleaner" by one scouting report. Wowed Houston scouts who worked him out at the Senior Bowl. Bennie had an outstanding week in Mobile showing better speed and blocking ability than anticipated.

He scored high on intelligence tests, is ambidextrous and is known as a hard worker. He improved each season at Michigan, capping his 2002 campaign with 53 receptions for 579 yards and five TDs.

Joppru has a well-sculpted body but is not considered ideal size for a tight end. Some have him projected more of an H-back size. Although some draft pubs listed his weight as much as 272 lbs, he was not even 260 at the Senior Bowl.

Areas of Concern: He lacks deep speed as a receiver and sometimes rounds off his cuts. While blocking is not his best skill, he shows improvement and a willingness to work.

2003 Expectations: Joppru may start immediately if the Texans don't re-sign Billy Miller (RFA). He may actually get more use in blocking situations than Miller even if Miller returns, or could be used in two-TE or goal-line formations. If Bennie had some jets, he might have been first round material but the Texans like his size and pass-catching ability. David Carr has another weapon to look for with this pick.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2003/picks/joppru.html

too bad this is a couple of years old :heh:

seriously.. anyone in the houston area hear how his rehab is going along?

Malloy
04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
seriously.. anyone in the houston area hear how his rehab is going along?

I seem to remember someone here posting that he's been catching passes from Carr. If that is indeed true, it would point towards the fact that he's on the field and possibly competing. I hope he'll be ready to go. At last :)

Marcus
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I seem to remember someone here posting that he's been catching passes from Carr. If that is indeed true, it would point towards the fact that he's on the field and possibly competing. I hope he'll be ready to go. At last :)
And that 4th round pick today should serve as a little more incentive, if he indeed needs any, but more than that, he's got one more chance, which I'm surprised as hell that he has one. I'd have cut bait a year ago.

Malloy
04-30-2006, 04:34 PM
And that 4th round pick today should serve as a little more incentive, if he indeed needs any, but more than that, he's got one more chance, which I'm surprised as hell that he has one. I'd have cut bait a year ago.

I can see why you would have let him go after he IR'ed on us for the second year in a row. I guess that both our old AND new coaching staff sees something in him. Incentive, if he needs any of that, I'll kick his rump! :)

Then again he might be on his way out, as of right now we have 8 TE's listed on our player list, I guess "someone's" gotta go :)

Ibar_Harry
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
In one of the interviews or stories today Kubiak says everything is ok so far. I think he called him a skill player vs a blocker, however. It wasn't a big rah, rah or a nah, nah. It may be in his discussion of Daniels.

Bobo
04-30-2006, 06:53 PM

Why would you penalize somebody for getting hurt and not even given a chance to succeed? Kellen Winslow has never really gotten on the field much as well but they never cut him.