PDA

View Full Version : The Texans new defense

clandestin
04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
http://216.40.244.195/newD.jpg

clandestin
04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
There is a silver lining to not picking R.B. or V.Y. Assuming Weaver turns out to be good to very good and Williams becomes the elite player he's expected to be, our DL has the potential to be at the top of the NFL.

Defense builds cham--I won't finish that. Look at what the Bears did last year. They had nothing for offense, but they did have a front four that could stop the run and destroy quarterbacks by themselves. (Their #4 RB barely touched the field btw.)

If we just drafted Julius Peppers+ this team will be in great shape.

D-Rob23
04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
I like this choice!!!

http://www.redandwhitefromstate.com/images/articles/20051126135536674_1.jpg

MightyTExan
04-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I like this choice!!!

http://www.redandwhitefromstate.com/images/articles/20051126135536674_1.jpg

OWNED!

clandestin
04-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Here's to more interviews like this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=vlSPqzgNig4

Rosusu
04-28-2006, 08:52 PM
With that set up our front seven looks very strong. I think we could definitely use some upgrades in the secondary at either safety position or CB opposite of DRob. Defense does win championships, we sure as HELL wont be the Colts. (but maybe we can stop their offense a little bit...maybe?)

MightyTExan
04-28-2006, 08:55 PM
An article with some sense..............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12471820/

But few Super Bowl teams have arrived at the big game without a stout defense. (The St. Louis Rams come to mind, but darned few others.)

By taking Williams, the Texans' defense is set. Put him at end and fill in with complimentary pieces. They go from a so-so defense to one that makes offensive coordinators tear their their hair out, just like that.

After that, Houston should start collecting offensive linemen, the more the better. If there's a wide-out they think could develop into a top player, toss him in the shopping cart, too. But they have their quarterback, David Carr, and they have Dominick Davis at running back, a perfectly serviceable ball carrier who averages better than four yards a carry and 1,000 a season. He's not Bush, but he doesn't have to be.

keyfro
04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
this means we have put a lot of money into our defense now...i support this choice and we better start seeing results quickly

Texton
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM

But few Super Bowl teams have arrived at the big game without a stout defense. (The St. Louis Rams come to mind, but darned few others.)

By taking Williams, the Texans' defense is set. Put him at end and fill in with complimentary pieces. They go from a so-so defense to one that makes offensive coordinators tear their their hair out, just like that.

After that, Houston should start collecting offensive linemen, the more the better. If there's a wide-out they think could develop into a top player, toss him in the shopping cart, too. But they have their quarterback, David Carr, and they have Dominick Davis at running back, a perfectly serviceable ball carrier who averages better than four yards a carry and 1,000 a season. He's not Bush, but he doesn't have to be.

I couldn't agree more!

Runner
04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
With that set up our front seven looks very strong. I think we could definitely use some upgrades in the secondary at either safety position or CB opposite of DRob. Defense does win championships, we sure as HELL wont be the Colts. (but maybe we can stop their offense a little bit...maybe?)

A good front 7 can "upgrade" the DBs we already have.

ensign_lee
04-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Not to poke holes, but why is Dunta our RCB and Faggins/Buchanon fighting for our LCB spot? :P

Only problem that I have with the Williams signing is what we're going to do with Peek/Babin now? I suppose we'll just rotate them in and out to keep everyone fresh, but meh.

At any rate, I wholeheartedly support this pick, if it is indeed what we're doing. Go Texans!:yahoo:

Runner
04-28-2006, 10:29 PM
What happen to Babin? Don't tell me we wasted all those picks to trade up and get Babin and he isn't even in our future plans.

If that happens, that is part of the cost of recovering fromt he previous regime's errors.

TexanSam
04-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Don't forget that we still have the rest of the draft tomorrow. If we trade up in the first round to get a defensive back or a linebacker falls to us in the 2nd, he may be an immediate starter.

phantom17
04-28-2006, 11:28 PM
There is a silver lining to not picking R.B. or V.Y. Assuming Weaver turns out to be good to very good and Williams becomes the elite player he's expected to be, our DL has the potential to be at the top of the NFL.

Defense builds cham--I won't finish that. Look at what the Bears did last year. They had nothing for offense, but they did have a front four that could stop the run and destroy quarterbacks by themselves. (Their #4 RB barely touched the field btw.)

If we just drafted Julius Peppers+ this team will be in great shape.

AGREED!:yahoo: I'm LOvin' this pick! This was my first choice cuz it's all about the D! Kubes can find a good back in the later round! I have a feeling that he will pick one either 3rd or 4th round.:twocents:

Texans_Chick
04-28-2006, 11:35 PM
CC in his interview on 610 said we were light on Dline for a 4-3 before this pick, but now we are fine.

When asked about Peek moving back to LB, he said that the exact way the players would be used would be best discussed by the coaching staff but that it has been discussed internally.

TexansTrueFan
04-28-2006, 11:54 PM
the way williams plays reminds me alot of Freeney, i mean that and his build. plus he looks like a beast on D. so getting weaver,,,now williams,,,,smith,,,,and whoever else,,,it already sounds like a qb attack to me.

Texan in Japan
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
A good front 7 can "upgrade" the DBs we already have.

Agree, this might make P-Buch decent again!

keyfro
04-29-2006, 01:26 AM
i think the most important thing to keep in mind is that we are still going to take a runningback early...i believe we are going to trade up back into the 1st round and pick our runningback...also...this means we'll probably have to wait til round 3 to pick up any o-lineman...something i'm not crazy about...just wondering who that lineman will be

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Wow..this all sounds so familiar...the Saints thought the same thing when they drafted Charles Grant..then Will Smith..

''A great front line can mask your weakness at Cb''...let me tell you guys..no..it can't...these Offensive Coordinators will exploit every weakness you have...Mario Williams alone does not fix the porous D of the Texans...Will Smith, a very, very good Rookie DE..did very little to help much of anything for us...infact..having 3 Pro Bowl Caliber DE's in Grant, Howard and Smith, used in a rotation that was supposed to make us pass rushing Gods..had a very negative effect on our sack totals...

Ferguson was the pick...Houston blew it...

mancunian
04-29-2006, 03:29 AM
AGREED!:yahoo: I'm LOvin' this pick! This was my first choice cuz it's all about the D! Kubes can find a good back in the later round! I have a feeling that he will pick one either 3rd or 4th round.:twocents:
Do you think Lendale White could fall to #33?

trutxn
04-29-2006, 03:37 AM

The draft is still not over and only Mario knows were he will end up. Or does he? There have been many sign and trade deals in the draft before, is this another? The Texans' brass seems to be content with their selection, and they know that Mario will have an instant impact. But is there another team at the top of the draft that covets Mario so much that they are willing to offer the "godfather" trade the media has forgotten about? If there was a team that felt the Saints were going to take Mario and would not be available when their selection came, they could get him through a trade. If Houston knew the pick they covet will slide to a later position, why not think of a trade?

Even if the Texans stay with Mario, which I think they sould, could the Texans still continue to make as much news in the draft? Charley Casserly said he will not "draft" a QB. Lets continue to pray that Texans have something up their sleeves. It would be nice to keep Mario and trade Carr to the team that drafts Vince. Of course we would have to throw in another pick, possibly one of our third rounders. Then we could use the second rounder on an offensive lineman and draft the best available players with the remaining picks. The Texans would become a playoff contender and regain the support of their fans at the same time.

Bob McNair stated that he wanted world wide recognition with his team. He wants his team to be on the same status of the NY Yankees. I know for a fact any team at that level makes big moves, so will the Texans? As a Texan fan I would pay twice as much for season tickets if they could pull it off.

Bronco Texan
04-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Ferguson was the pick...Houston blew it...

I agree whole heartedly that I would love to have Ferguson. I think Ferguson would of helped our team out extremely. But unfortunetly we couldn't justify picking him #1 over all. Hell we are going to take alot of crap for taking Williams and not Bush #1 over all. The only way we were going to get Fergy was to trade down. Well there werent any offers to trade down so we werent going to pick him.

HJam72
04-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Ferguson was worth a #2 at the very most. I wanted to Trade Down and get him with that #4, but it just wasn't gonna happen.

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 04:51 AM
I understand that Ferguson might have been a bit of a reach at #1...but Williams is a huge reach at #1...huuuuge reach.

A little ''did you know''..of the last 5 DE's taken with the number #1 in the past 20 years..there is only 1 combined Pro Bowl appearance between them...

I feel for you guys...I really do...I know what it's like...I've been a Saints fan for 20+ years...

Heck..you guys were in the top half of the League in sacks (defensively) anyway..right?...How was your Points per Game, and Rushing Yards per game?

I hope the best for you guys, but I expect that this pick will sting for a loooong time...

Master Po
04-29-2006, 05:01 AM
I understand that Ferguson might have been a bit of a reach at #1...but Williams is a huge reach at #1...huuuuge reach.

A little ''did you know''..of the last 5 DE's taken with the number #1 in the past 20 years..there is only 1 combined Pro Bowl appearance between them...

I feel for you guys...I really do...I know what it's like...I've been a Saints fan for 20+ years...

Heck..you guys were in the top half of the League in sacks (defensively) anyway..right?...How was your Points per Game, and Rushing Yards per game?

I hope the best for you guys, but I expect that this pick will sting for a loooong time...

You are becoming tiresome. You are only here to talk noise, and are obviously less than educated about our team and our top draft pick. Why not go find a Saints board? I'm sure you guys have plenty to discuss.

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:05 AM
You are becoming tiresome. You are only here to talk noise, and are obviously less than educated about our team and our top draft pick. Why not go find a Saints board? I'm sure you guys have plenty to discuss.

Don't get all butt-hurt because I want to talk FOOTBALL..as soon as one of YOUR posts contains anything Football related..let me know...until then, save your whining for your Mommy...
:crying:

Master Po
04-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Don't get all butt-hurt because I want to talk FOOTBALL..as soon as one of YOUR posts contains anything Football related..let me know...until then, save your whining for your Mommy...
:crying:

I was talking football. Specifically, how little you know about it. Now run along and help Benson clip coupons so that he can afford that #5 draft pick money. Thanks.

Grid
04-29-2006, 05:20 AM
its hilarious that everyone who ISNT a Texans fan and DOESNT follow this team..thinks that Ferguson was just the "obvious" pick.

There arent many people here who think Ferguson was worth our 1st round pick.. and there is a good reason for that. I recommend ya go do some research on our team, instead of basing your opinions on what you saw on sportscenter's "not top 10".

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:21 AM
That's #2 ..slick...hahaha..Mr. Informed Police...BTW..what was I mis-informed about?

And no..your post was only focused on bashing me..it's whatever..I know you are just projecting..it's OK..I can take it..I'm weathered...

Master Po
04-29-2006, 05:25 AM
That's #2 ..slick...hahaha..Mr. Informed Police...BTW..what was I mis-informed about?

And no..your post was only focused on bashing me..it's whatever..I know you are just projecting..it's OK..I can take it..I'm weathered...

Not after the trade w/ GB. Seriously, you can't REALLY be 29, can you? I'm guessing closer to 16. Best of luck with your #1. Hope whoever it is makes for a snappy football card and a cute little bobblehead.

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:26 AM
its hilarious that everyone who ISNT a Texans fan and DOESNT follow this team..thinks that Ferguson was just the "obvious" pick.

There arent many people here who think Ferguson was worth our 1st round pick.. and there is a good reason for that. I recommend ya go do some research on our team, instead of basing your opinions on what you saw on sportscenter's "not top 10".

How do you get that I'm not a ''fan''..I follow quite a few teams...I watch quite a few Texans Games, or at least I used to..they kinda stopped showing them so much..But I live in West Texas, and sometimes I don't want to watch the Cowboys play..and if I can't get the Saints Games, I watch the Texans..I've seen enough of them to have an ''informed'' opinion..and my opinion is that the Offensive line was the biggest need...Ferguson could be a Franchise LT...you guys could dang sure use a LT more thna a DE...

The proof is in the numbers..it's no secret that the Texans have had the worst Offensive line in NFL history, or pretty darn close...

This pick was a no brainer...The Texnas didn't get the BPA..the got the ''value pick''.

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:27 AM
Not after the trade w/ GB. Seriously, you can't REALLY be 29, can you? I'm guessing closer to 16. Best of luck with your #1. Hope whoever it is makes for a snappy football card and a cute little bobblehead.

what trade with GB?

We haven't made any trades...

Master Po
04-29-2006, 05:29 AM
what trade with GB?

We haven't made any trades...

Not yet. And they may not. I, however, think they will. We'll see in a little less than six hours.

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:30 AM

And, I can tell you're getting your feelings hurt...Yes, I am 29..to try to call me out like that is really pathetic....

I just came to talk some FOOTBALL..something you claim to have boundless knowedge in, yet continue to dodge placing any bit if that boundless knowledge in any post I have read thus far...

If you're just going to attack a Guest non stop like that...I have to question YOUR age..I have made no threatening statements...I've dished out no more than I've received..now, I'm going to ask you nicely ..please stop with the insults..

shadowdrinker_x
04-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Not yet. And they may not. I, however, think they will. We'll see in a little less than six hours.

So then..WTF are you even talking about?...If we haven't made a trade and, admittedly, ''may not''..what are you reffereing to when you said ''not after the trade/GB''?

Are you just making stuff up to try to save face?

Grid
04-29-2006, 06:08 AM
The proof is in the numbers..it's no secret that the Texans have had the worst Offensive line in NFL history, or pretty darn close...

That is an uninformed opinion. What is your view of Mike Sherman?

ClintonPortis26
04-29-2006, 06:36 AM
All you need is a Pro Bowl Safety like Micheal Huff or a stud safety like Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Cedric Griffin, or Darnell Bing and your defense will be average. To bad your forced to pick offensive line in the 2nd round.

Dolby
04-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Here's to more interviews like this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=vlSPqzgNig4

Hahahaha.........classic clip

bdiddy
04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
the way williams plays reminds me alot of Freeney, i mean that and his build. plus he looks like a beast on D. so getting weaver,,,now williams,,,,smith,,,,and whoever else,,,it already sounds like a qb attack to me.

Mario Williams is not anything like Freeney. Freeney is a short, undersized guy who has great speed and pass moves. Williams is a tall, genetic freak. I think he can learn sufficient pass rushing moves to be very effective. The only question regarding Williams is if he can be a guy that plays all out all of the time, if he gives max effort every play this could be a very good pick.

Although, it is still hard to swallow.