PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for DD?

David's Busted Carr
04-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades. I think it would be in the best interest of DD and the Texans to move him. He is still a starting caliber RB, but with Reggie he's demoted to the bench and he's making too much money for that. And Vernand Morency can fill the backup role just fine.

I've read on a few boards about a rumor of the Texans trying to trade him to the Jets for DT Dewayne Robertson. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I'm the Texans, and it makes sense for the Jets to replace Curtis Martin. But if that doesn't work out, what else should we go after? Another draft pick? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

BigBull17
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
If hes is traded, I want either a pick or a starting caliber DB or OL. He has value and may be sought after. The pick would be mid 3rd early 4th.

Texas_Thrill
04-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Don't think that DD is going anywhere. Morency is unproven and nobody is sure if or what Bush's role will be as of yet.

I'm not going to assume he's the starting back. Remember he still needs to learn how to BLOCK in the NFL. No small task and since we saw how WELL :rolleyes: DD did at it...I'm certainly not ready to just hand RB the starting role.

I'm not sure also the salary cap implications of moving DD. I still find it crazy that our backfield (both whom will be part-time now) is valued at 70 million plus. :brickwall

Texas
04-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I beleive we will keep DD because in Denver kubiak with multiple "starting" rb's...I think we will run splitback and use RB in the slot to cause mis-matches...However if we were to trade DD i'd like to get a starting Safety to compete with who we have...

Hardcore Texan
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
There is no way I want to trade DD. A two back set, with Reggie and DD sounds great to me. I am sure most of the time they will rotate in and out with a FB in there, but the possibilities our mind blowing.

Kubiak systems = 2 running backs (A La Denver Broncos)
I look for Morency to fill in if one of these guys miss any time, probably not getting as many touches as who they are filling in for.

DD will not be "benched", look for him and Reggie to share the load. DD will not have to do it all by himself and therefore he will not get beat up and injured as much. I think it is going to work out great. Bush will probably run it 10-15 times and maybe a reception or two, maybe even throw in some PR's, who knows. DD will probably tote it around 15 times, with another touch or two.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I beleive we will keep DD because in Denver kubiak with multiple "starting" rb's...I think we will run splitback and use RB in the slot to cause mis-matches...However if we were to trade DD i'd like to get a starting Safety to compete with who we have...

Denver has never had any such thing.....

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuban Droughns, and Tatum Bell........ none of those guys were starters, until Denver made them starters.... If those guys hadn't gone to Denver, they more than likely wouldn't have been starters.

As soon as they felt like they had two starting running backs, one was shown the exit sign.

Nobody drafts a starting Running Back in the 4th round or later.

BREAZE
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades.

Why? We just extended his contract. If we are not going to trade Carr then its safe to say we won't be trading DD. He is a different back from Bush and Bush won't be playing RB the whole game. The variation in RB styles will keep opposing defenses guessing...

Texas
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Denver has never had any such thing.....

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuban Droughns, and Tatum Bell........ none of those guys were starters, until Denver made them starters.... If those guys hadn't gone to Denver, they more than likely wouldn't have been starters.

As soon as they felt like they had two starting running backs, one was shown the exit sign.

The quotation marks around "starting" means that on the DENVER squad they were starters...Tatum Bell and Reuben Drougns shared time on the field...DD would not have been a starter for any other team being drafted when he did either...

Wharton
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
DD has always been an average to slightly better then average running back due to his inability to stay healthy. In a trade, I think we would get a similar type player or possibly a third round pick.

Personally, I hope we keep him. Reggie hasn't proven to be a work horse yet and maybe injury prone as well. I just think itís a little early for the conversation. Also, DDís best trade value will come during the middle to late part of the season, when another team has injury problems.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
We are paying superstar money for beenwie weinnies grub!

Let's see..... we have a running back who came in off the bench, and managed to be ranked 19th in the NFL his rookie season, missing 2 games. He came back in 2004, raised his NFL ranking amoung NFL running backs to 15th, and rushing for more than 1000 yards, 1788 all purpose yards, and 14 NFL touchdowns against NFL defenses. His third year, he ranks 9th of all NFL running backs, missing 5 games... 1313 all purpose yards, 5 TDs on a team with no passing game, that went 2-14. In those three seasons, he played as well as, if not better than Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Warrick Dunn, and Edgerin James did their first three seasons.... and he played in as many games as all of those "injury proned" runningbacks.

Oh, forgot.... he played 2 games less than Ladanian Tomlinson did his rookie year. DD avg 4.3 yards a carry, and 7.5 yards/reception, compared to LT's 3.6 ypc, and 6.2 yards/reception. 14 TDs for DD, 15 for LT. LT's longest run was 54 yards, and he had 7 carries longer than 20 yards. DD's longest was 51 yards, and he had 5 carries for more than 20 yards(remember, he played 2 games less than LT).

And, LT played on a better team than DD did.

'sides, I like Beenie Weenies...........

Hardcore Texan
04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Let's see..... we have a running back who came in off the bench, and managed to be ranked 19th in the NFL his rookie season, missing 2 games. He came back in 2004, raised his NFL ranking amoung NFL running backs to 15th, and rushing for more than 1000 yards, 1788 all purpose yards, and 14 NFL touchdowns against NFL defenses. His third year, he ranks 9th of all NFL running backs, missing 5 games... 1313 all purpose yards, 5 TDs on a team with no passing game, that went 2-14. In those three seasons, he played as well as, if not better than Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Warrick Dunn, and Edgerin James did their first three seasons.... and he played in as many games as all of those "injury proned" runningbacks.

Oh, forgot.... he played 2 games less than Ladanian Tomlinson did his rookie year. DD avg 4.3 yards a carry, and 7.5 yards/reception, compared to LT's 3.6 ypc, and 6.2 yards/reception. 14 TDs for DD, 15 for LT. LT's longest run was 54 yards, and he had 7 carries longer than 20 yards. DD's longest was 51 yards, and he had 5 carries for more than 20 yards(remember, he played 2 games less than LT).

Great post!

dwilt72
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Most teams are become two back systems. Besides, Reggie is a tremendous receiver and I can see him and DD on the field a lot together. Put Reggie in the slot, line them up together, send him in motion, etc. I think both backs will get the ball and I think they will both have a nice year.

El Tejano
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh yes they do!!! :yahoo:

Signed,

Domanick Davis.

Mike Kerns
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't think he goes anywhere. At least not this upcoming season. Remember that the Seahawks couldn't even get a third round pick for Shaun Alexander a couple seasons ago.

El Tejano
04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I think we also need to consider if Bush being there also allows us to use Domanick Davis more on special teams like he was originally drafted for. We have quite a few returners last year but none of them did as good a job as Davis did returning punts.

Texas
04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I doubt we will do it but if we used Reggie Bush on punt returns the open field would give him opportunity

Frills
04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
DD should not be traded at all.

RBBC will help him stay off the trainer's table, and keep both fresh. The days of having a stud RB and riding him the whole season are pretty much over except for a few elite RB's.

Coach C.
04-27-2006, 02:37 PM
DD could go for at best a 4th. Maybe not even a high one at that.

4Texans
04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't see the Texans trading DD for at least a year. Even with Bush, DD is going to get a lot of playing time and can still be of value to the offense.

Long-Spurs-Texan
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Why would we trade our between the tackles, workhorse (when healthy)back? Just because we are drafting a change of pace back doesn't mean we get rid of our grinder. A big reason RB was so good was USC had NFL talent at almost every position. Lendale wore them down, & Bush finished them.

texan279
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM

DD's 1st 3 seasons (40 games)
770 attempts 3195 yards 4.1 Y/A 23 TD's

Shaun Alexander's 1st 3 seasons (48 games)
668 attempts 2806 yards 4.4 Y/A 22 TD's (in 102 less rushing attempts)

Larry Johnson's 1st 3 seasons (32 games)
476 attempts 2416 yards Y/A 5.1 30 TD's (in 294 less rushing attempts)

Priest Holmes 1st 3 seasons (40 games)
459 attempts 2102 yards 4.76 Y/A 10 TD's (in 311 less rushing attempts)

Jamal Lewis 1st 3 seasons (48 games)
1004 attempts 4757 yards 4.67 Y/A 26 TD's

Warrick Dunn 1st 3 seasons (47 games)
664 attempts 2620 yards 3.93 Y/A 6 TD's (in 106 less attempts)

Edgerrin James 1st 3 seasons (38 games)
907 attempts 3924 yards 4.3 Y/A 29 TD's

DD does not compare to guys like these, DD is an average, middle of the road NFL running back. Like you stated in the 1st paragraph, he ranked 19th in the NFL among RB's his rookie season and 15th among RB's his second season, which to me is just average.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't see the Texans trading DD for at least a year. Even with Bush, DD is going to get a lot of playing time and can still be of value to the offense.

definitely...... as much as a sure thing Reggie is, he's still going to be "trying out" to be that #1 guy. Just like Tatum Bell has..... If Reggie can match those numbers, DD is gone.

dwilt72
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
definitely...... as much as a sure thing Reggie is, he's still going to be "trying out" to be that #1 guy. Just like Tatum Bell has..... If Reggie can match those numbers, DD is gone.

I don't agree. Backs get hurt all the time. The best teams have at least two good running backs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-27-2006, 05:19 PM
DD for Dewayne Robertson

Trade DD now while his value is at its peak.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 05:27 PM
DD's 1st 3 seasons (40 games)
770 attempts 3195 yards 4.1 Y/A 23 TD's
Recieving:
154 catches 1276 yards 8.3 yards/catch 1 TD
Total 4471 yards 24TDs

Shaun Alexander's 1st 3 seasons (48 games)
668 attempts 2806 yards 4.4 Y/A 22 TD's (in 102 less rushing attempts)

Recieving:
108 catches 844 yards 7.9 yards/catch 4 TDs
Total 3,650 yards 36 TDs(He actually had 32 rushing touchdowns.... amazing)
Steve Hutchinson most of his career, along with the Seattle Seahawks offensive line, and Mike Holmgren as a head coach

Larry Johnson's 1st 3 seasons (32 games)
476 attempts 2416 yards Y/A 5.1 30 TD's (in 294 less rushing attempts)

Recieving:
56 catches 623 yards 11.1 yards/catch 3 TDs
Total:
3039 yards 33TDs
with Willie Roaf, and Brian Waters his whole career.

Priest Holmes 1st 3 seasons (40 games)
459 attempts 2102 yards 4.76 Y/A 10 TD's (in 311 less rushing attempts)

Only played 32 games in 1997(rookie), 1998 & 1999
Rushing:
322 att 1514 yards 5 Y/A( striking his rookie season, when he didn't get the ball) 8 TDs
Recieving:
56 catches 364 yards 7 yards/catch (again, striking his first season, when he didn't catch the ball) 1 TD
Total:
1878 yards 9 TDs
Doesn't matter if he was hurt or whatever, as "injury prone" is part of the equation.

Jamal Lewis 1st 3 seasons (48 games)
1004 attempts 4757 yards 4.67 Y/A 26 TD's

32 games played in 2000, 2001, & 2002 completely out of the game in 2001
Rushing:
617 atts 2691 yards 4.3 yards/carry(striking the 2001 season) 12 TDs
Recieving:
74 catches 738 yards 10.2 yards/catch 1 TD
Total:
3429 yards 13TDs

Warrick Dunn 1st 3 seasons (47 games)
664 attempts 2620 yards 3.93 Y/A 6 TD's (in 106 less attempts)

Recieving:
147 catches 1395 yards 9.6 yards/reception 5 TDs
Total:
4015 yards 11 TDs

Edgerrin James 1st 3 seasons (38 games)
907 attempts 3924 yards 4.3 Y/A 29 TD's

Recieving:
149 catches 1373 yards 9 TDs
Total:
5297 yards 38 TDs

DD does not compare to guys like these, DD is an average, middle of the road NFL running back. Like you stated in the 1st paragraph, he ranked 19th in the NFL among RB's his rookie season and 15th among RB's his second season, which to me is just average.

I think he compares very well, with all these guys...... including Edgerin James who beat him in both Recieving & Rushing yards.... recieving & rushing TDs. But the point about Edgerin, is mostly the games played. I don't think any one considers Edgerin James to be injury prone.... Even though he's only played 3 full seasons in 7 years......

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't agree. Backs get hurt all the time. The best teams have at least two good running backs.

name them

kcwilson
04-27-2006, 05:35 PM

Define 'good'.

texan279
04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I think he compares very well, with all these guys...... including Edgerin James who beat him in both Recieving & Rushing yards.... recieving & rushing TDs. But the point about Edgerin, is mostly the games played. I don't think any one considers Edgerin James to be injury prone.... Even though he's only played 3 full seasons in 7 years......

2005 season

Shaun Alexander 1880 yards 370 attempts Y/A 5.1 TD 27 (#1 rusher in NFL)
Tiki Barber 1860 yards 357 attempts Y/A 5.2 TD 9 (#2 rusher in NFL)
Larry Johnson 1750 yards 336 attempts Y/A 5.2 TD 20 (#3 rusher in NFL)
Edgerrin James 1506 yards 360 attempts Y/A 4.2 TD 13 (#5 rusher in NFL)
Warrick Dunn 1416 yards 280 attempts Y/A 5.1 TD 3 (#8 rusher in the NFL)
Dom Davis 976 yards 230 attempts Y/A 4.2 TD 2 (#18 rusher in NFL)

You're telling me DD compares "well" to the other guys listed? :ok:

Bobo
04-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades. I think it would be in the best interest of DD and the Texans to move him. He is still a starting caliber RB, but with Reggie he's demoted to the bench and he's making too much money for that. And Vernand Morency can fill the backup role just fine.

I've read on a few boards about a rumor of the Texans trying to trade him to the Jets for DT Dewayne Robertson. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I'm the Texans, and it makes sense for the Jets to replace Curtis Martin. But if that doesn't work out, what else should we go after? Another draft pick? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

To trade a proven blue-chip RB to make a place for a guy who is going to get limited touches and has never gained a yard in the NFL would be pure folly -- so it will probably happen.

Bobo
04-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Why would we trade our between the tackles, workhorse (when healthy)back? Just because we are drafting a change of pace back doesn't mean we get rid of our grinder. A big reason RB was so good was USC had NFL talent at almost every position. Lendale wore them down, & Bush finished them.

And USC had one of the best lines in college football. Make one guess what team has one of the WORST offensive lines in pro football. It amazes me that the Texans are going to use an overall first-round draft choice for a part-time player who could end up like J.J. Arrington did -- unclothed and naked due to the lack of an offensive line.

BREAZE
04-27-2006, 06:55 PM

DD got his #'s behind the worst offensive line in league history...enough said.

Bobo
04-27-2006, 06:59 PM
2005 season

You don't mean to tell me that you don't think that DD isn't one of the best RBs when he gained almost 1,000 yards for a 2-14 team that was constantly passing in an attempt to come from behind? Just look at the number of rushing attempts he had. He had fewer than Dunn, who was part of a RBBC! Unbelieveable, simply unbelieveable. Beam me up, Scotty ...

Texas_Thrill
04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
And USC had one of the best lines in college football. Make one guess what team has one of the WORST offensive lines in pro football. It amazes me that the Texans are going to use an overall first-round draft choice for a part-time player who could end up like J.J. Arrington did -- unclothed and naked due to the lack of an offensive line.

PREEEEEACH!!!! B/c I still don't get it my dang self. :brickwall

Bobo
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Reggie Bush is far, far from a sure thing. If you doubt that fact, just ask Archie Griffin, Kiyanna Carter, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, J.J. Arrington and Lawrence Phillips about that. Doncha just hate that when it happens?

texplayer2
04-27-2006, 07:57 PM

These stats could be, Because LT was on a better Team. DD has been very effective at times and one of our few options on offense. This would inflate his numbers, but as seen did not help the outcomes of many games, because there were very few other options. LT is on a potent offensive team with several options. I think DD and Bush will compete for time and help both of them, along with added firepower at rec. and TE we will be a more effective Team. Carr will not have to sit back there and look like a deer in the headlights, he will have several threats and not need as much time to find his options. Limiting Sacks and hopefully 3 and outs. I don't think DD goes anywhere this year for sure.

texan279
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
You don't mean to tell me that you don't think that DD isn't one of the best RBs when he gained almost 1,000 yards for a 2-14 team that was constantly passing in an attempt to come from behind? Just look at the number of rushing attempts he had. He had fewer than Dunn, who was part of a RBBC! Unbelieveable, simply unbelieveable. Beam me up, Scotty ...

Gaining 1,000 yards in an NFL season for a RB is nothing anymore, and Houston ranked 28th in the NFL last season in pass attempts per game, so I'm not sure where you get this constantly passing thing. And yes Dunn had 50 more attempts than Davis, but Dunn had 440 yards more than Davis, and that averages out to 8.8 yards per carry for every carry. Dunn also averaged 5.1 yards per carry compared to Davis' 4.2.

Bobo
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
These stats could be, Because LT was on a better Team. DD has been very effective at times and one of our few options on offense. This would inflate his numbers, but as seen did not help the outcomes of many games, because there were very few other options. LT is on a potent offensive team with several options. I think DD and Bush will compete for time and help both of them, along with added firepower at rec. and TE we will be a more effective Team. Carr will not have to sit back there and look like a deer in the headlights, he will have several threats and not need as much time to find his options. Limiting Sacks and hopefully 3 and outs. I don't think DD goes anywhere this year for sure.

So you are saying it's a wise move to burn a #1 overall pick on a guy who you say is going to be basically just a part-time player when this team has so many other needs -- including the lack of an offensive line that this guy is supposed to run behind? Yeah, like Flanagan is going to be able to get out ahead of Bush and "lead the way" outside. Tsk, tsk. There is no way this kind of move can be defended.

texan279
04-27-2006, 08:09 PM
DD got his #'s behind the worst offensive line in league history...enough said.

Worst PASS blocking line in history maybe. Houston ranked 15th in the NFL last season in average rushing yards per game with 113.5. If we had the worst run blocking O line in history last season, we probably would have been ranked dead last in that category. And by the way, Houston as a whole had 1816 rushing yards for the season, Davis accounted for 976 of those yards. And for the record Wells rushed for 4 TD's in 90 attempts compared to Davis' 2 TD's in 230 attempts, and no I am not saying Wells is a better back.

texplayer2
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
So you are saying it's a wise move to burn a #1 overall pick on a guy who you say is going to be basically just a part-time player when this team has so many other needs -- including the lack of an offensive line that this guy is supposed to run behind? Yeah, like Flanagan is going to be able to get out ahead of Bush and "lead the way" outside. Tsk, tsk. There is no way this kind of move can be defended.

You are trying to make the team better. He might only get the ball 15 times a game, maybe some he gets 25. It would depend on the D. Avg. & YPC(stats)don't tell you wether your Team wins on Sunday. If he gets the D. off balance with 1-2 plays and the rest of our team runs over them he is well worth it.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 08:30 PM
2005 season

Is the best QB in the league the guy with the most passing yards?? How 'bout the guy with the most TDs?? How does he rank with the guy with the least INTs??

It's a mixture of all that, wouldn't you agree??
Same thing with the running back... guess what??

DD is in the top 10 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/RB-RUSHING/2005/regular)

And he's done it on the worst team in the NFL........ or at least the worst offense, nothing any of those guys can say.

And the numbers you quoted were from guys well past their third year in this league. And they were all fortunate enough that their teams didn't give up on them, and label them injury prone.

texan279
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Is the best QB in the league the guy with the most passing yards?? How 'bout the guy with the most TDs?? How does he rank with the guy with the least INTs??

It's a mixture of all that, wouldn't you agree??
Same thing with the running back... guess what??

DD is in the top 10 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/RB-RUSHING/2005/regular)

And he's done it on the worst team in the NFL........ or at least the worst offense, nothing any of those guys can say.

And the numbers you quoted were from guys well past their third year in this league. And they were all fortunate enough that their teams didn't give up on them, and label them injury prone.

DD is in the top 10 in average yards per game with a whopping 88.7 yards per game. And the numbers I quoted were from all of the guys you said Davis was comparable to in an earlier post, so I compared them all. And I have no idea where you got the idea that the Texans gave up on DD.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 08:52 PM

Of course SanDiego is a better team, just like Detroit is a better team. I don't remember how they ended up that season, but they didn't have Antonio Gates, Brees was underperforming, and I can't recall who their Wideouts were. If memory serves correctly, LT had to carry that team. How that may inflate a stat line, I don't know.

frontrowfanatic
04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
If teams didn't want to trade for the Edge and Alexander what makes you think DD has more value than they did. I'm not knocking DD, it's just the name of the game these days. DD has no trade value!!!

swtbound07
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
name them

Tampa Bay-Cadillac Williams and micheal pittman....3 if you call alstott a back
Miami-Ricky Williams(pre suspension), Ronnie Brown
Atlanta-Warrick Dunn, TJ Duckett
Denver-Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson
Tennessee-Travis henry, Chris Brown
St. Louis-Marshall faulk, stephen jackson
Dallas-Julius Jones, MArion barber
New York Giants-Tiki Barber, Branden jacobs

Those are the ones that pop into my head immediately

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
DD is in the top 10 in average yards per game with a whopping 88.7 yards per game. And the numbers I quoted were from all of the guys you said Davis was comparable to in an earlier post, so I compared them all. And I have no idea where you got the idea that the Texans gave up on DD.

DD & Bush will play together next year. If you think we will pay one of our them $8 million/yr, and the other $4 million a year, for more than one year, then you are more delusional than Vince.

If you are going to prove to me, with Reggie Bush's rushing stats alone, that he is the #1 runningback in the 2006 draft, we can stop right there. If you want to use his recieving yards to prove his versatility and his explosiveness, then you've got to give me DD's all purpose yards......... in which, he compares Very Well with the running backs I mentioned, which include Shaun Alexander..... the 2005 rushing leader, and all time TD leader. Tiki Barber, the best little back in the league, and Ladainian Tomlinson, the best runningback to enter the NFL in the last Decade, and who ever else you might want to throw in there.

88.7 yards per game rushing, is good enough to get him into the top 10 nfl rushers....... that's still the top ten. Shaun Alexander led the league, with 117.5 yards per game....... a whoping 28.8 more yards per game.

Warrick Dunn, Cadillac, McGahee, Droughns, JuJones, LaMont Jordan, Steven Jackson, Mike Anderson, & Jamal Lewis, all carried the ball more than DD, and on better teams...... and didn't get 88 yards per carry. None of these guys, would be considered Chumps..... all of them, I believe are considered by most to be franchise backs...

BREAZE
04-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Bush's salary does not cover a RB position alone. Its returner, RB, WR, and maybe even QB one play a game.

DD could be shopped at some point, but so could a pro bowl return man that likes to wreck motorcycles and who doesn't realize the opportunity he has in front of him. In other words, whatever positions Bush can play are up for grabs and will be competed for...

texan279
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
DD & Bush will play together next year. If you think we will pay one of our them $8 million/yr, and the other $4 million a year, for more than one year, then you are more delusional than Vince.

If you are going to prove to me, with Reggie Bush's rushing stats alone, that he is the #1 runningback in the 2006 draft, we can stop right there. If you want to use his recieving yards to prove his versatility and his explosiveness, then you've got to give me DD's all purpose yards......... in which, he compares Very Well with the running backs I mentioned, which include Shaun Alexander..... the 2005 rushing leader, and all time TD leader. Tiki Barber, the best little back in the league, and Ladainian Tomlinson, the best runningback to enter the NFL in the last Decade, and who ever else you might want to throw in there.

88.7 yards per game rushing, is good enough to get him into the top 10 nfl rushers....... that's still the top ten. Shaun Alexander led the league, with 117.5 yards per game....... a whoping 28.8 more yards per game.

Warrick Dunn, Cadillac, McGahee, Droughns, JuJones, LaMont Jordan, Steven Jackson, Mike Anderson, & Jamal Lewis, all carried the ball more than DD, and on better teams...... and didn't get 88 yards per carry. None of these guys, would be considered Chumps..... all of them, I believe are considered by most to be franchise backs...

First off if we traded or cut Davis, it would cost more to do that than keep him. Second, Domanick averaged more carries per game than all of the guys you mentinoned that did not average 88 yards per game, so of course he would average more yards per game than the other guys. And Shaun Alexander might have only averaged 28.8 yards a game more than DD, but he scored 27 TD's compared to DD's 2 TD's. He also averaged one yard per carry more than DD.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Tampa Bay-Cadillac Williams and micheal pittman....3 if you call alstott a back
Miami-Ricky Williams(pre suspension), Ronnie Brown
Atlanta-Warrick Dunn, TJ Duckett
Denver-Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson
Tennessee-Travis henry, Chris Brown
St. Louis-Marshall faulk, stephen jackson
Dallas-Julius Jones, MArion barber
New York Giants-Tiki Barber, Branden jacobs

Those are the ones that pop into my head immediately

Now how many of those guys are making $4 mil a year??

Pittman is a backup/relief runner...... he got 70 attempts last year....... in 16 games. Cadillac had 290 attempts....... hardly a 2 back system.

It's speculation. but I believe Ricky was just supposed to get his trade value up, & try to get some return for what they've paid him. He kinda screwed them again.

Warrick Dunn has never gotten any respect....... they've been trying to replace him since he's gotten into the league...... he's too small, and you wouldn't think he could hold up. Year after year, the little bugger just keeps on ticking, and he proves to be the better back out of whoever they bring in.

Denver: I'll give you that one as well, so that's 2 teams with a 2 back system. but if you watch Denver very long, you'll see last year was simply the changing of the gaurd. Ron Dayne won't get the number of carries M.Anderson had last year. Tatum Bell is their man.

Travis who?? Chris what?? sorry, these two don't belong on the list.

Marshall Faulk........... 4 carries per game. Stephen Jackson...... 16.9.

Marshall is on his way out.... changing of the gaurd, again.

Julius Jones, Marion Barber...... Marion is depth...... JJ will be the guy, so they hope. Marion won't be making $4 mill anytime soon..... may never make $1 mil/year.

Tiki Barber & who??

Sorry, but the best backs in the league has backups, not partners.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Bush's salary does not cover a RB position alone. Its returner, RB, WR, and maybe even QB one play a game.

DD could be shopped at some point, but so could a pro bowl return man that likes to wreck motorcycles and who doesn't realize the opportunity he has in front of him. In other words, whatever positions Bush can play are up for grabs and will be competed for...

If Kubiak uses reggie as a return man, then we're all in trouble........

He'll make Capers look like a genius.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Which is what DD will eventually become, a backup. That is until we cut him as a cap casualty or trade him while he still has good value.

thunderkyss
04-27-2006, 09:57 PM
First off if we traded or cut Davis, it would cost more to do that than keep him. Second, Domanick averaged more carries per game than all of the guys you mentinoned that did not average 88 yards per game, so of course he would average more yards per game than the other guys. And Shaun Alexander might have only averaged 28.8 yards a game more than DD, but he scored 27 TD's compared to DD's 2 TD's. He also averaged one yard per carry more than DD.

I think we save $200,000 if he trade him.

and that is still only rushing yards.

BREAZE
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM

I might have heard this in my sleep, but I thought Casserly said Bush could be used as a return man also. He might not return kickoffs, but I could have sworn there was some considerations for him as a punt returner. With that said, I don't like the idea at all...too much invested and too risky.

Oilers/Texans
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Why would you even consider trading Domanick Davis?? At what point does that even start to sound like a good idea? Never!

outofhnd
04-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Now now lets not get hasty here and pin all our hopes on Reggie if we draft him. here are all the RB situations last year.

Pittsburgh, Bettis, Parker, Hayes 3rd down

Cincy - Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry 3rd Down

Browns - Droughns Suggs maybe got a few carrys

Ravens - Lewis, Taylor

Bills - Mcgahee, Shaud Williams 3rd Down

Jets - Martin

Pats - Dillon, used fullback Pass in pure passing downs in a single back set

Dolphins - Ricky Williams, Ronie Brown, Travis Minor Pure passing downs

Houston - Wells, DD

Indy - Edgerrin

Jags - Taylor, Greg Jones for Goaline Short yardage

Titans - Chris Brown, Travis Henry

Denver - Anderson, Tatum Bell

Chargers - LT

Chiefs - Holmes, Johnson till Holmes went down...

Raiders - Lamont Jordan

Cowboys - Julius Jones, Marion Barber

Redskins - Portis, Ladell Betts

Eagles - Westbrook because he was the only one healthy.

Giants - Tiki barber, Had some bruiser # 27 who rarely saw time

Vikings - Bennett, Moe Williams, Melwelde moore(Moe was used primarily on passing downs)

Bears - Benson, Jones, Forgot the other guy but there was another runner back there.

Lions - Jones, Artose Pinner

Packers - Davenport, Fisher, Green

Bucs - Cadillac, Alstott, Pittman

Falcons - Duckett, Dunn

Saints - Deuce, with sprinkles of Stecker till deuce got hurt.

Panthers - Davis, Foster, Goings

49ers - Beasley, Gore

Rams - Faulk, Jackson

Seahawks - Alexander, Morris

Cardinals - Shipp

So all in all about 7 teams did the 1 back... Shaun alexander has a talented backfield mate named Mike Morris who also returns kicks.

I would go with backfield by committee if it helps us win... Why have nothing in the cupboard if reggie tweaks his knee during a cut?

You guys are ridiculous for thinking we should trade DD he has more value sitting on the bench here than anywhere else because if we shop him chances are e will cut him... And teams will not deal with us for him if they feel that he will be a FA....

DD has value as 1 being a proven 100 yard rusher in case reggie has to have a learning curve and Doesnt do well. 2 with him and DD in the backfield Defensive Coordinators will be up all night trying to diagnose a way to figure out who is getting the ball... 3 Different styles, DD is a legs constantly going inside runner.. Reggie is a homerun hitter... 4 Both can catch passes...

You people that want reggie in there every down are living in the past the NFL is all situational and Tweeners. Workhorses are so 1998.. this is 2006 we have a different player and position for every situation imaginable. WE trade No one until we have a proven replacement for less money. PERIOD

Eagles, Cards, Chargers, Jets, Raiders, Cardinals Did not make the playoffs... Only the colts... And they had a pretty good set of WR and a pretty good QB too if I recall

TwinSisters
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM

Kubiak will be a genius if he throws a guy that is faster than him right behind him. Mathis Hook'n'Ladder for 6... won't even need an offensive line. Don't be thinking that Little Bush isn't wanting to wash the canvas a bit on that one either.

If Kubiak has an ounce of creativity in him, that play will get some reps on special teams hour this coming camp.

outofhnd
04-27-2006, 10:42 PM
NO NO NO NO

WE have enough return men without sacrifing a 49 million Dollar one!!

Mathis, Morency, DD, Buchanon,

Dont put 49 million in the training room because you wanted to get cute and design a play where reggie and mathis try and return a kickoff... The only time you even think it, is if we are down and the kickoff is the absolute last play of the game.

thats like saying you would ferrari and enter it in the demolition derby.. You just dont do it..

TexansLucky13
04-27-2006, 10:48 PM
If Kubiak has an ounce of creativity in him, that play will get some reps on special teams hour this coming camp.

Kubiak is extremely creative, IMO. He reminds me of what will be a Bill Belichick, or at least we can only hope.

I guarantee that Bush will take a few punts this year. He may be on the field for the Kick Return but there is not one chance in heck that Mathis will be removed from that position. I imagine that it would be a hard choice to have to choose between kicking it to Reggie or kicking it over to Mathis, though.

In my opinion Mathis was one of the only people that was still giving 110% by the end of last season. Maybe it's the rookie in him.... but I like it.

P.S. - I doubt DD gets traded. He has performed extremely well and Kubiak will have a lot of options in the Split Back offense.

TwinSisters
04-27-2006, 11:22 PM
NO NO NO NO

Mathis, Morency, DD, Buchanon,

thats like saying you would ferrari and enter it in the demolition derby.. You just dont do it..

LOL YES.

You think a starting Linebacker and Safety can't put a harder licking on your Ferrari then a few ST Gunners and a kicker?
---
As for the Topic of the thread it's a little early to be talking about trading Davis.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I think DD's trade issue this year is a very slim chance. However, next year is more likely to be traded. It is soley depend upon BUSH & MORENCY'S production this year. If these combo can handle at RB, I forsee DD with other team next year.(Keep in mind that Morency had to get some carries to prove it)

REASON
1. Too much money on one position.
2. When Kubiak was OC for Denver, most of RB were drafted in the 3rd or later rounds. Another RB will be drafted next year to fill RB
position(with zone scheme, 3rd rounder can be productive RB which proved by Denver offense)

I really like DD but, this the way I see it.

outofhnd
04-28-2006, 12:38 AM
LOL YES.

You think a starting Linebacker and Safety can't put a harder licking on your Ferrari then a few ST Gunners and a kicker?
---
As for the Topic of the thread it's a little early to be talking about trading Davis.

Linebackers are 10 yards away... gunners are 70 yeards away... yes they can put a harder lick on them because they have more time to get up to full speed and there are lots of bodies comin at you at full speed. Linebackers are not going to hit you like a gunner will be cause a gunner is just a gunner on his team that is his one shot at being noticed. a linebacker is just goin to stop you and punish you.. a gunner is looking to take your head off.. You dont put your 50 million dollar first round draft pick back there and return kicks unless you dont have time to run an offensive play and you need a touchdown to win. we have a surplus of return men on our team that make far less money and are not expected to have as much contribution to the offense as he does... I dont see caddilac, ronnie brown, LT, or any other top tier RB in the league with the exception of bryant westbrook and he stopped returning kicks when he had to play RB full time. You dont risk it with that player.

TwinSisters
04-28-2006, 03:28 AM
You dont put your 50 million dollar first round draft pick back there and return kicks unless you dont have time to run an offensive play and you need a touchdown to win. we have a surplus of return men on our team that make far less money and are not expected to have as much contribution to the offense as he does... I dont see caddilac, ronnie brown, LT, or any other top tier RB in the league with the exception of bryant westbrook and he stopped returning kicks when he had to play RB full time. You dont risk it with that player.

Ok. When do you feel that a player, that has superior speed, will have the greatest chance to score six: When he has to beat a kicker or when he has to beat 4 DBs?

When do you feel that a player, that has more agility than Gale Sayers and more juke than Barry Sanders and can generally leap several Walter Paytons with his eyes closed and one leg tied behind his back ( as I have been told ), will have the greatest chance to score six: When he has to dodge 4 LBs and DLs 5 - 10 yards away or when he has to side-step a 70 yard dashing cannonball ( that is moving at full speed )?

Do you have a statistic that shows return men have greater rates of injuries compared to RBs? If you do then I will say... ok keep the money on the bench and only give him the ball on third and long.

The last one I saw was that DBs in regular play have the most injuries ( or highest rate to be exact )
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_291035.html
from 2005.

I am going to mosey on over to the NFLPA to see what I can find, but I am not holding my breath. Typically they bury all the good stuff 40 layers deep, so I give up before I find what I am looking for ( however I do find that if I sic a few spiders after their repository, they usually net some good booty )

EDIT:
I don't think you see other marquee RBs returning kicks because they don't have sonic speed. Remember Deion? He returned kicks and cost a lot of MONEY ... mucho money.

EDIT:
of course Bush might not be as fast as Deion tough... I believe Deion was clocked at 4.06 in peak form

EDIT:
I found some old stats from the 80's that listed special teams injury rate at 8 times higher then the next on regular O and D, but within the Special Teams category the "hot man" or "wedge-breaker" was significantly higher ( meaning not the return man )
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_291033.html

That was the most detailed article I could find. It also explains why I couldn't find a better article.

To help chart the myriad ways players hurt each other, the Trib analyzed the only public injury information doled out by NFL clubs -- the weekly injury report. The league refuses to release more detailed data.

texan279
04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
]']We can get mario you know.....

Then we'd have 70 million tied up in defensive ends with Weaver's contract...

Bobo
04-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I think DD's trade issue this year is a very slim chance. However, next year is more likely to be traded. It is soley depend upon BUSH & MORENCY'S production this year. If these combo can handle at RB, I forsee DD with other team next year.(Keep in mind that Morency had to get some carries to prove it)

REASON
1. Too much money on one position.
2. When Kubiak was OC for Denver, most of RB were drafted in the 3rd or later rounds. Another RB will be drafted next year to fill RB
position(with zone scheme, 3rd rounder can be productive RB which proved by Denver offense)

I really like DD but, this the way I see it.

If the concern is too much money tied up in one position, then why get Bush in the first place -- unless you draft somebody into a position where a lot of money isn't being spent anyway?

Bobo
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Then we'd have 70 million tied up in defensive ends with Weaver's contract...

Weaver is a walking injury waiting to happen. Plus, he can't rush the passer.

TexansTrueFan
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Now thats what i'm talking about ! FINALLY someone else beside me that appreciates how good D.D has been for us. Good Post !

bigTEXan8
04-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Now thats what i'm talking about ! FINALLY someone else beside me that appreciates how good D.D has been for us. Good Post !

I think that DD has done a phenomenal job from where he was drafted to coming off the bench, to beinig the machine that he is. I like Bush...and I would personally love to have him on the Texans, and he would be a blast to wash. I just feel that since the Texans have a quality RB already, there are more dire needs to address with what I believe should be o-line and D.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I think that DD has done a phenomenal job from where he was drafted to coming off the bench, to beinig the machine that he is. I like Bush...and I would personally love to have him on the Texans, and he would be a blast to wash. I just feel that since the Texans have a quality RB already, there are more dire needs to address with what I believe should be o-line and D.

Agree. You so not want to end up like the bears having a productive RB rushing for 1300 yards like we have in Jones and they go out and draft benson with the #4 pick overall in the draft to do what? sit on the bench and then he finally gets the chance after holding out all off season with contracts and he was the #4 pick (imagine what Bush is going to be like to sign) and then he get hurt, why? BECAUSE THE DUMB A** WAS NOT IN TRAINING CAMP conditioning and learning like he was suppose to and there we have 17 Million on the bench...

I hope the Texans take Williams and avoid this big headed part time RB ego maniac.

No matter where he goes, I will watch his first game when he finally gets introduced to a tough defense "Welcome to the NFL!" Lights out.

bigbrewster2000
04-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Agree. You so not want to end up like the bears having a productive RB rushing for 1300 yards like we have in Jones and they go out and draft benson with the #4 pick overall in the draft to do what? sit on the bench and then he finally gets the chance after holding out all off season with contracts and he was the #4 pick (imagine what Bush is going to be like to sign) and then he get hurt, why? BECAUSE THE DUMB A** WAS NOT IN TRAINING CAMP conditioning and learning like he was suppose to and there we have 17 Million on the bench...

I hope the Texans take Williams and avoid this big headed part time RB ego maniac.

No matter where he goes, I will watch his first game when he finally gets introduced to a tough defense "Welcome to the NFL!" Lights out.

DD has been injruy prone and not played a full season yet besides DD will be a great change of pace guy with Bush

thunderkyss
04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
DD has been injruy prone and not played a full season yet besides DD will be a great change of pace guy with Bush

At $4 million a year, don't expect that to last too long...... he's outta here.. this will be his farewell season. I think he's got this season and next on his current contract....... If the Texans are going to trade him, it will have to be next year.... Bush has to prove himself this year, so it makes sense to keep DD. but once he does that, it don't matter how well DD plays....... we won't be keeping him past 2007.

texan279
04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Weaver is a walking injury waiting to happen. Plus, he can't rush the passer.

Weaver is our LDE, Williams would be our RDE. And Weaver has only missed 7 games in 4 seasons, so I am not sure what you mean about him being a walking injury waiting to happen.

David's Busted Carr
04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
1) No team has 2 QUALITY NFL starting RBs. They may have a solid backup, but no team wants to pay 2 staring RB salaries. There is no reason to tie up $70 million in one position.

2) Since when is DD a "pound it between the tackles" RB? He's not! And not only he's not he is way to injury prone for that kind of workload. So making the argument he is the "compliment" to Reggie Bush is wrong. Morency can fill the "power back" role just fine, and he's making minimal money.

Please understand I am not anti DD. In fact I think he's a solid player. I just think it would be wise to trade him NOW while he still has solid value rather than wait until he has a more serious injury.

However I would not give him away, and I don't think I'd even want just a draft pick for him. I'd much rather see a trade for a solid NFL starter in return. Possilby an OL or maybe defensive help.

thunderkyss
04-28-2006, 02:40 PM
However I would not give him away, and I don't think I'd even want just a draft pick for him. I'd much rather see a trade for a solid NFL starter in return. Possilby an OL or maybe defensive help.

I'm thinking the only way we trade him this year, is if we package him with a linebacker(we have too many of the wrong kind) & try to get a Starting safety/LB and a quality backup LB/safety.

infantrycak
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM
1) No team has 2 QUALITY NFL starting RBs. They may have a solid backup, but no team wants to pay 2 staring RB salaries. There is no reason to tie up $70 million in one position.

You mean other than Carolina for the last couple years with Steven Davis and DeShaun Foster or say Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams or maybe Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson or Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk. Nah--nobody has two starting RB's.

2) Since when is DD a "pound it between the tackles" RB? He's not! And not only he's not he is way to injury prone for that kind of workload. So making the argument he is the "compliment" to Reggie Bush is wrong. Morency can fill the "power back" role just fine, and he's making minimal money.

I'm sorry but looking at DD's track record over the last three years and Morency's and declaring DD hasn't shown a between the tackles ability and declaring Morency can be the power back looks like time for a TV replacement to see the jersey numbers better.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-28-2006, 06:02 PM
If the concern is too much money tied up in one position, then why get Bush in the first place -- unless you draft somebody into a position where a lot of money isn't being spent anyway?
Hi Bobo, I'd read some of you quote in the past and I personally do not enjoy reading your quotes(No offense, I just do not enjoy reading negative points of view like you have been). This may be the first and last time I reply your quote. However, I do realize that you have the rights to your own opinion.

I didn't even try to mention about Bush. He is very talented rare prospect(once in every 10yrs or so) and he is the first overall pick(naturally cost us a big $$$). Bush is able to take to the house anytime he touches the ball. He can be RB or Slot receiver and he does the job so well. This is why he is likely going to be selected #1 overall draft pick.

Now DD is a good RB and I really like DD. However, if you compare DD and BUSH, I will take BUSH. Of course, Morency and Bush have to prove RB position this yr(Which I expect them to).

After one year under Kubiak & Co., they should be able to find out their needs by position. Next yr, we can use DD as trading bait to fill our needs.

Bush will be a core of RB position teamed up by good RB drafted 3rd or later rounds. So, I see us drafting another RB after 3rd round next year.

This is the way I see it.

Bobo
04-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Bobo, I'd read some of you quote in the past and I personally do not enjoy reading your quotes(No offense, I just do not enjoy reading negative points of view like you have been). This may be the first and last time I reply your quote. However, I do realize that you have the rights to your own opinion.

I didn't even try to mention about Bush. He is very talented rare prospect(once in every 10yrs or so) and he is the first overall pick(naturally cost us a big $$$). Bush is able to take to the house anytime he touches the ball. He can be RB or Slot receiver and he does the job so well. This is why he is likely going to be selected #1 overall draft pick.

Now DD is a good RB and I really like DD. However, if you compare DD and BUSH, I will take BUSH. Of course, Morency and Bush have to prove RB position this yr(Which I expect them to).

After one year under Kubiak & Co., they should be able to find out their needs by position. Next yr, we can use DD as trading bait to fill our needs.

Bush will be a core of RB position teamed up by good RB drafted 3rd or later rounds. So, I see us drafting another RB after 3rd round next year.

This is the way I see it.

We already know what Davis can do and he is a stud. He very nearly gained 1,000 yards on a team that was 2-14 and missed two games via injury in the process. Plus, he did all that running behind a questionable line and for a team that didn't run all that much because it was trying to come from behind. On top of that, he is an excellent receiver coming out of the backfield. Bush is nothing but a huge question mark. He is just as capable of falling flat on his face and becoming another Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips, Blair Thomas or Archie Griffin as he is a Barry Sanders or Gayle Sayers. Why the heck would you throw the dice on another RB when you already have a good one and that position is not one of your many weaknesses. As for if Bush will be the likely choice, it doesn't sound like he will be if you are listening to the Texans flagship station, KILT. Most are saying that Williams will be the one. But then again, we'll know in less than 24 hours now.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
We already know what Davis can do and he is a stud. He very nearly gained 1,000 yards on a team that was 2-14 and missed two games via injury in the process. Plus, he did all that running behind a questionable line and for a team that didn't run all that much because it was trying to come from behind. On top of that, he is an excellent receiver coming out of the backfield. Bush is nothing but a huge question mark. He is just as capable of falling flat on his face and becoming another Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips, Blair Thomas or Archie Griffin as he is a Barry Sanders or Gayle Sayers. Why the heck would you throw the dice on another RB when you already have a good one and that position is not one of your many weaknesses. As for if Bush will be the likely choice, it doesn't sound like he will be if you are listening to the Texans flagship station, KILT. Most are saying that Williams will be the one. But then again, we'll know in less than 24 hours now.
I don't mind us taking Williams. But that will be a lots of money on DL as well. IF we draft Williams, we would likely to trade Peek or Babin this yr or next. (same scenario like DD's mentioned on my previous post)

Did you read my post"This is why he is likely going to be selected #1 overall draft pick. " GET IT?