PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans in the 3-4

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I just got schooled on our past coaches history with the 3-4.... did a little research, and now I'm wanting comments from you, the fans.

What happened??

Fangio & Capers (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1310520&type=columnist)

During Fangio's tenure at Carolina, the Panthers set an expansion franchise record with seven victories in their first season. They had the best defense in the NFL the following season when they came within one game of reaching the Super Bowl.

I feel we played a major part at Indianapolis, getting that turned around," Fangio told the AP. "To bring me here now, I told Dom, 'Let's finish what we started in Carolina.' "

The Colts surrendered the most points in the league in 2001 and, while some of those came on interception returns by opponents, the performance of the defense was still considered dismal. Fangio took most of the heat and, two weeks ago, general manager Bill Polian apprised Mora that he would have to dismiss Fangio and other defensive aides to retain his own job.

Even though Fangio told Mora he likely had a job lined up with Capers, the Colts' coach refused to fire his close friend, and he himself was then canned on Tuesday afternoon.

Mora called Fangio "the finest defensive coach" with whom he had ever worked.
Was Carolina a fluke??

Was it our players??

Our drafting??

Hawg
04-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I just got schooled on our past coaches history with the 3-4.... did a little research, and now I'm wanting comments from you, the fans.

What happened??

Fangio & Capers (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1310520&type=columnist)

Was Carolina a fluke??

Was it our players??

Our drafting??

I think that it was first and foremost Charlie C. You cant blame the players for being brought into a system that they dont know or havent ever played in. Scond i think that Capers/Fangio did a horrible job caching up the players,IMO.

Frills
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Vet players made Carolina

Cutting Glenn and Sharper neutered the leadership on the D, and you go 2-14

jerek
04-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Fangio was a dog, plain and simple. He was bad in Indy and he was bad here. The tape doesn't lie ... review his playcalls and if you watch closely for long enough, you too will be thinking, what the hell was he calling there? Anyone remember our brilliant strategy against, who was it, the Ravens? We were up 2 with less than two minutes to go and we play soft zone to let them nickel and dime it all the way down the field, and then from about the 50 yard line we run cover 0 and blitz everyone and, oh my word, unthinkably our lone safety (who has never been a good cover guy) gets beat by the WR for about 30 yards and the Ravens kick the easy FG for the W. Our guys could have tipped the ball or done just about anything else there and it still would have been stupid playcalling.

Call it for what it is: a bad coach. Cutting Glenn and Sharper didn't help but our defensive playcalling was just bad.

BigBull17
04-26-2006, 10:59 AM
In Carolina, they had Kevin Greene and Lavar Latho(sp) rushing off the end, while we had 2 DE in similar positions and didnt allow them to pin thier ears back and rush. Greene and Lathon were hell on olines.

Texas
04-26-2006, 02:38 PM
It was everything.

dwilt72
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I heard numerous references to how hard our 3-4 defense was to learn. I'm not sure why. Doesn't seem like other 3-4 teams had that much problem. San Diego made a change from 4-3 to 3-4 and overnight they improved. I just seem to me that we played too cautious and tried not to lose rather than to win. It just didn't seem like we blitzed enough, or if we did blitz the players couldn't get there in time. I liked Capers, but it seems like Fangio was a loser everywhere he went.

Double Barrel
04-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Our 3-4 was a cover 2 of sorts, but we lacked any ability to put pressure on the pocket. And without a pass rush (along with soft coverage), we basically had a sort of prevent working.

It's like the previous staff just lacked confidence in themselves, the system, and/or the players. I never felt like we had any aggressiveness to our squads in the past four years (well, the first year wasn't too bad...think Pittsburgh game).

TexanBacker93
04-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Vet players made Carolina

Cutting Glenn and Sharper neutered the leadership on the D, and you go 2-14

I would agree. Plus, I think many of Carolina's players had already played in and been familiar with the 3-4. The Texans were transitioning players every year.

pittbull
04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Charlie C had no idea what he was doing. The Texans went after project guys, instead of plugging the holes with Vets that previously played the 3-4, like in Carolina. When guys like Clark Haggans were available last season from Pittsburgh, the Texans chose Morlon Greeenwood. This guy barely played the 4-3 well in Miami, and was overrated due to their d being so good. Robaire Smith (plays like Kimo Van Olf) was a great pickup, but he needs a stud DE on the opposite side. Your job in the 3-4 is to eat blocks for the LB's. We let a good MBL go in Sharper and placed Greenwood in there! Foley was released and he was the perfect rushing LB. Charlie C is the reason for the season (2-14). AS for the offense, that was Capers responsbility. Let the o fly, instead of holding it back and trying to play like Pittsburgh. Do a little more searching and you will find most coaches that come from a regime, usually carry the same characteristics. This team was built to play like Pittsburgh, but the players we never drafted like such! Cowher, Shottenheimer, Capers, LeBeau, all these guys come from the same mold. Actually, Cohwer admitted to the pittsubrgh fans why they were succcessful this season, as opposed to the past. He finaaly let the offense be the offense and worred about the defense. If you have a high flying O, let it roll, that has nothing to do with the defense. Their job is to stop the opposing team, not help the offense score. Maybe Capers learned Cowhers lesson a season to late, let's hope Casserly didn't!:superman:

ComstockLode
04-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Lets not forget, our defense at one time was very good considering the inability of our offense. And especially considering matt stevens was starting.

What happened you may ask? Players got older, and were replaced with less capable players. Plus we never have had anything but below average OLB and safeties.

dwilt72
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Charlie C had no idea what he was doing. The Texans went after project guys, instead of plugging the holes with Vets that previously played the 3-4, like in Carolina. When guys like Clark Haggans were available last season from Pittsburgh, the Texans chose Morlon Greeenwood. This guy barely played the 4-3 well in Miami, and was overrated due to their d being so good. Robaire Smith (plays like Kimo Van Olf) was a great pickup, but he needs a stud DE on the opposite side. Your job in the 3-4 is to eat blocks for the LB's. We let a good MBL go in Sharper and placed Greenwood in there! Foley was released and he was the perfect rushing LB. Charlie C is the reason for the season (2-14). AS for the offense, that was Capers responsbility. Let the o fly, instead of holding it back and trying to play like Pittsburgh. Do a little more searching and you will find most coaches that come from a regime, usually carry the same characteristics. This team was built to play like Pittsburgh, but the players we never drafted like such! Cowher, Shottenheimer, Capers, LeBeau, all these guys come from the same mold. Actually, Cohwer admitted to the pittsubrgh fans why they were succcessful this season, as opposed to the past. He finaaly let the offense be the offense and worred about the defense. If you have a high flying O, let it roll, that has nothing to do with the defense. Their job is to stop the opposing team, not help the offense score. Maybe Capers learned Cowhers lesson a season to late, let's hope Casserly didn't!:superman:

I couldn't agree more.