PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Furniture...

DRAMA
04-25-2006, 06:30 PM
is running a FULL PAGE ad on Thursday in the Chronic that says at the top - PLEASE PICK VINCE and has a pic of Vince running the ball.

Another full page ad-assault is coming our way.

Keep hope a lie! :)

Tulip
04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Where did you hear about that?

Loving our local sports guys is so disgusting. I'm outraged!

LoneStarState
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Maybe he should "SAVE - HIS - MONEY" and buy his own team.

DRAMA
04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
or...

PLEASE PICK Someone other than who he says!

Sincerely,

Star Furniture

Nawzer
04-25-2006, 06:41 PM
It's all good for me. Some of you are taking this too seriously. It's a game folks! I like it that our city has taken such a passionate interest regarding it's football team. Imagine what it'll be like when we finally make the playoffs! By the way, someone should run a full page Reggie Bush ad. to counter the VY supporters.

axman40
04-25-2006, 06:47 PM
It's all good for me. Some of you are taking this too seriously. It's a game folks! I like it that our city has taken such a passionate interest regarding it's football team. Imagine what it'll be like when we finally make the playoffs! By the way, someone should run a full page Reggie Bush ad. to counter the VY supporters.
Michael Michaels!

:stirpot:

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
I think it is great that a local company is doing that. I hope that VY goes to the Raiders and we cut DC in two years and VY comes back home to Texas to do the work that the Fresno Kid could not.

chuckm
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I've never liked Gallery Furniture and don't think I ever will

DRAMA
04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I agree - I think it's all fun. However, to Mac..once he hits a tangent, he goes nuts!

Otherwise - it's just great drama (No pun intended)! :redtowel:

Marcus
04-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I think it is great that a local company is doing that. I hope that VY goes to the Raiders and we cut DC in two years and VY comes back home to Texas to do the work that the Fresno Kid could not.

Aw . . whatsomatter? You don't trust Kubiak, Sherman, McNair to make the proper football decision.:rolleyes:

Take your marketing, hometown flavor and hang it in your . . .

chuckm
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Vince Young is so elusive that he can walk the entire path through Gallery Furniture and only be asked "Is anyone helping you?" 1 time

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Aw . . whatsomatter? You don't trust Kubiak, Sherman, McNair to make the proper football decision.:rolleyes:

Take your marketing, hometown flavor and hang it in your . . .

I trust they made a decision and I trust they will have execution problems with Carr as the former staff did, but I will digress on that beat horse.

Marketing, nah. Just makes for a good story for a franchise that has not had many. Sending a kid in from California to do a Texan's job is hard work. :texflag:

Caesar
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Mack just lost himself a bunch of Aggie customers.

BradK10
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
What an embarassment to our city (this instance).

I love the charitable work he does, but leave running our sports teams up to the people that own/run them. If you pulled every advertising dollar I promise you they'd find someone else willing to pay it. Paying for advertising at games and buying front row seats does not give you power to use your clout to cry and whine about how the team is ran.

Marcus
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
This will be the 2nd full page ad taken out by Holly F. Mackenvale. Too stupid to know that this type of stunt will only make McNair dig his heels, if anything, against the local marketing special interest groups.

Either that, or he wants all the sad VY faces from the draft party to over and buy some furniture, and give a 2% discount to everyone who still says "Keep hope alive"!

:yahoo:

Tulip
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM

Why? Is he asking the Texans to take a Longhorn instead of an Aggie?

Marcus
04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Maybe they'll take a hint on where to hold their next bonfire.:redtowel:

Sarg01
04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Vince Young is so elusive that he can walk the entire path through Gallery Furniture and only be asked "Is anyone helping you?" 1 time

No way. Breaking the laws of physics is one thing, avoiding a commissioned sales person is quite another.

gwallaia
04-25-2006, 09:31 PM
My wife, who is a media buyer for a advertising agency calculated the cost of the full page ad in the Chronicle at $34,701. That is for a non-color ad on the weekday.

D-ReK
04-25-2006, 09:34 PM
My wife, who is a media buyer for a advertising agency calculated the cost of the full page ad in the Chronicle at $34,701. That is for a non-color ad on the weekday.

Wow, what a waste of money...Mac can't honestly think that this will sway the Texans FO, he's probably just trying to play to the Longhorn faithful and get a few more people into his store to buy some crappy Bob Timberlake recliners...

Grid
04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I cant wait for all the indignant huffing and puffing thats gonna go on after we dont pick Vince.

This has been the worst offseason to date.. and thats saying alot after Sean Taylor and Derrick Johnson.

heck, it seems every offseason is worse than the last. I figure we are gonna have people on here chanting and drinking poisoned koolaid by 2010.

Honoring Earl 34
04-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Who does the " Thats a fact Jack " furniture guy want to draft ? I'm really interested in the pretty Star furniture lady's ideas on the pick also .

HoustonFrog
04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Who does the " Thats a fact Jack " furniture guy want to draft ? I'm really interested in the pretty Star furniture lady's ideas on the pick also .

LOL..nice. All I can say is that it is nice to see people and fans passionate about the whole thing. I don't have that same preference but think the guy is a stud and wish him well. For the first time in a while, if you think of it, the Texans are the talk of the nation and fans are fired up about the team and how it is run. That is positive no matter how it is looked at.

TwinSisters
04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
For the first time in a while, if you think of it, the Texans are the talk of the nation and fans are fired up about the team and how it is run. That is positive no matter how it is looked at.

:fieldgoal

And the extra point is ........ GOOD!

gg no re
04-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I think the Hilton Furniture guy is looking for a real slasher type of player who could cut through defenses, slice up the competition, sever the record books, and make heads roll.

With a chainsaw.

Harrisment
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I think the Hilton Furniture guy is looking for a real slasher type of player who could cut through defenses, slice up the competition, sever the record books, and make heads roll.

With a chainsaw.

NICE! :)

thunderkyss
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
I've never liked Gallery Furniture and don't think I ever will

What an embarassment to our city (this instance).

I love the charitable work he does, but leave running our sports teams up to the people that own/run them. If you pulled every advertising dollar I promise you they'd find someone else willing to pay it. Paying for advertising at games and buying front row seats does not give you power to use your clout to cry and whine about how the team is ran.

You know what I find really funny??

Those guys who get all upset, saying, "WWE wrestling is soo fake"

I mean, we all know it's fake, but watching them get soo mad, you know, that they don't know.

BradK10
04-26-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't understand what you're getting at.

I love how the Moronicle continues to pit citizens of this city against each other. I'm just glad I'm not in Houston for this offseason. What a mess.

Coach C.
04-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Man Mac should hit me off with some change since he is just spending it on whatever. Sprockets and WhigWhams anyone?

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 06:46 AM
I don't understand what you're getting at.

I love how the Moronicle continues to pit citizens of this city against each other. I'm just glad I'm not in Houston for this offseason. What a mess.

IT's just an opinion. Some folks here get sooooo mad, because I, or other fans would like the Texans to draft Vince Young.......

& they act as if my(& others) posts on this board will sway the minds of the FO... Or they think that we think our opinions will influence the FO, or they think a full page add from the Gallery furniture guy will be detrimental to the Texans drafting Reggie Bush...

This is a message board......... that full page add, is advertising.... for Gallery Furniture, not Vince Young.. this isn't a political race. 80% of Houston Fans say they want Vince, Gallery says I'm on your side...... and uses Vince's name to boot...... it's almost stealing really. They don't have to pay Vince to use his name..... they probably have a huge picture of Vince in the add also.

I don't understand the ins/outs of advertising, and don't pretend to. But I would bet, a full page add with Vince Young's name, and your companies name would pay off a lot more than a fat nobody who use to wear really big pants......... or a bunch of bums laying around saying "whazzzzzz uuuuuuup".

Maybe not better than "what's up", that was pretty good.

but the point is, some people take this a little too serious.

HeroTime
04-26-2006, 06:51 AM
80% of Houston Fans say they want VinceWould you believe it is more like 35%. Let's not let facts get in the way though.:stirpot:

Mr. White
04-26-2006, 06:55 AM
How dare the Chroncle sell a full page ad! The gall of some people!

Mike Kerns
04-26-2006, 06:56 AM
From Todays Chronicle:

McIngvale speaks as both a fan and a corporate sponsor. Asked if the Texans' choosing Bush will impact his future business relationship with the team, he replied: "It darn sure ain't going to help it. I'm a marketing guy. I think Vince would be over the top for them. I don't want to go through another year like last year when I basically threw my money away.

"I'm obligated for a couple more years, and I'm big on fulfilling my commitment. But ongoing I've got to take a look at it because regardless of the football implications, (drafting Young) would at least double the value of my sponsorship overnight."

Sounds like he really cares about the team...

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 07:39 AM
From Todays Chronicle:

Sounds like he really cares about the team...

wow, I was wrong........ he really does think he can make a difference...... but maybe he has a point...... corporate sponsors........ that's where McNair gets his money......

I honestly don't think Reggie is going to improve our team "that" much.... like I said before, with or without Reggie, this team is pretty scary. drafting him/not drafting him won't make a big difference in the W-L comlumn. There is one player I'd be much more excited about drafting, even though he'll have the same effect of our W-L column as I'm projecting for Reggie........ this year.

But I'd be sooo, sooo disappointed if McNair folds to the pressure of corporate sponsors.......

Mr. White
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
FWIW, I never thought real highly of this guy to start with. I grew up watching commercials of him jumping up and down holding money.

If he wants to spend $70,000 on Chronicle ads, then that's his business. If he wants to pull his sponsorship money, then it's his business.

If you guys wanna boycott his business, then that's your business.

He'll come back as a sponsor as soon as Reggie breaks a big one. And you guys will be back to Gallery Furniture by the Labor Day sale.

Welcome to America. This kinda stuff goes with the territory.

texman8
04-26-2006, 07:56 AM
FWIW, I never thought real highly of this guy to start with. I grew up watching commercials of him jumping up and down holding money.

If he wants to spend $70,000 on Chronicle ads, then that's his business. If he wants to pull his sponsorship money, then it's his business.

He'll come back as a sponsor as soon as Reggie breaks a big one. And you guys will be back to Gallery Furniture by the Labor Day sale.

Boycott? I've been to his place....I didn't find anything I liked.

Going back? Naaah.

texplayer2
04-26-2006, 08:01 AM

Yea, if you want a prime example look at the Cowboys and T.O. If decisions were based on emotions and/or fans, they would have never picked him up. I know plenty of Cowboy fans who SAY they will never get over the Star Thing.

Bullpen Drew
04-26-2006, 08:02 AM

Mr. Hilton had seats in my row in the Bullpen the last few years, does he still have them??

cuppacoffee
04-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Mattress Mac

Brilliant sports mind.:rolleyes: :pigfly:

GalleryFurniture.com bowl complete disaster

Westside Tennis his wifes favorite hobby, (or so i've read) doubt its very profitable, it is tennis after all

Mac is a furniture salesman, not a sports genius. He just proved it again.

I will give them both huge props for their charity work.

:coffee:

Mr. White
04-26-2006, 08:42 AM
GalleryFurniture.com bowl complete disaster

I wouldn't call it a complete disaster. Didn't hear anything about him not paying the teams.

Definitely bad, though.

SteelBlueToro
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm sure some other corporation will be willing to step up to the plate if Mac pulls sponsorship after 2 years.

chuckm
04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
He isn't going to pull his sponsership .... it'll sting for a while but he'll get over it ..... it's business after all

HJam72
I think Star Furniture should run a 2 page ad saying, "We want Reggie!" lol.

Trap_Star
I'm sure some other corporation will be willing to step up to the plate if Mac pulls sponsorship after 2 years.

Subway, Adidas........:stirpot:

Sportsfan
04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Lame.

jerek
04-26-2006, 09:44 AM

People don't help Vince Young, Vince Young helps people. You blasphemer.

Mailman04
04-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Maybe Gallery Furniture should stick to selling recliners and let the Texans pick who they feel will help them the most which certainly isnt Vince Young

Porky
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't think we can draft until Mcnair calls Robert Finger. We need the input of all of our furniture stores before such a momentus decision is made. The word on the street is Finger's is a Mario Williams store. They are very high on his memory foam, and heard he can lift a full size sleeper sofa by himself.

gwallaia
04-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Porky, you are opening up a can of worms here. If the furniture salesmen starting having a say in how the Texans draft; it is only a matter of time before the car salesmen will start chiming in with their expert analysis.

jerek
04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I want to be so rich someday that I can spend $35k on an ad for my favorite football player knowing full well that he will not be drafted any way.

threetoedpete
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Thank you for the heads up. Gaud I hate that Pravda Houston will make that large of a profit.

Good luck too you all. Whom ever your favorite player is, It has been a very interesting argument. At least two factions will be heartbroken saturday morning no matter what they do. I hope will we all come back together after the weekend. Be interesting to see how our favorite prospects will do in the coming seasons.

Caphorn
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM

I was just there this weekend and I got asked one time. Had free lunch on Mack and visited with him for a second. We didn't buy anything because they just didn't have what we wanted. Seemed like the prices were decent and competitive though with the other retailers.

Mack's a good guy and runs a good operation. I'm VERY impressed with his continued everyday involvement with it. He's not just a marketer but a guy I actually respect as a businessman. With sports, he took a stand for tennis which has kept the sport barely hanging on in the US. I'm proud of him for doing that from such an unlikely place as Houston Texas. I'm not sure he's handling the Vince Young thing well. It may actually cost him some customers which seems nuts to me. As for the ad, personally I wish he'd put the $$$ to Vince's favorite charity instead and let the media write about it. He's enough of a name that he doesn't need to spend money on the print ads.

But in the end - I can see absolutely no good reason to dislike this guy just because he speaks his mind. I do like that he stated the anger and frustration of many fans about last season about as well as it could be said. He wasted his money last year. Having Pendry as a temporary OC stopgap was pathetic (especially given he was the f'n OL coach. How could anyone honestly disagree? The Texans MANAGEMENT has to be less passive in the future in handling their own club. They should not allow a coach to run the whole organization to the ground. McNair's too good a guy to repeat that mistake -- I hope. So, in Mack's defense, would you want your company's label to be associated with a bust organizaton? This is the question some of these guys need answered. I don't blame them for seeking a more aggressive approach 4 years in on a failed promise.

In this day of go-along get along bullsh!t, Mack's candor in criticizing the direction of the organization is good by me and it should be good with fans that want to win a Super Bowl.

c5demon
04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Who does Matress Mac think he is? In the column he states that picking VY would double his business and since he is a major sponsor of the Texans they should pick VY. Clearly his is in it for the $$$$ and not the long-term well being of the Texans. I say we protest!

chuckm
04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
So, in Mack's defense, would you want your company's label to be associated with a bust organizaton? This is the question some of these guys need answered. I don't blame them for seeking a more aggressive approach 4 years in on a failed promise.

In this day of go-along get along bullsh!t, Mack's candor in criticizing the direction of the organization is good by me and it should be good with fans that want to win a Super Bowl.

IMO, Mack's enthusiasm for Young has more to do with marketing him as the "home town" guy than it does to do with him being "good with fans that want to win a Super Bowl".

whiskeyrbl
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Maybe the NCAA ought to investigate where and how much $$$ was spent on the furniture in Vinces' new apartment. Maybe foul play involving Matress Mac!

Dr. Toro
04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Porky, you are opening up a can of worms here. If the furniture salesmen starting having a say in how the Texans draft; it is only a matter of time before the car salesmen will start chiming in with their expert analysis.

Mario Williams clobbers big city QBs.

SteelBlueToro
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Call Ray Childress!

aj.
04-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Ray is a minority owner (or Limited Partner, I should say to be technically accurate). I'm sure he's already chimed in on this topic a few times.

Dr. Toro
04-26-2006, 12:52 PM
While we're on the topic of local TV advertisements, I'd like to highlight some of my favorite moments:

1. Hilton furniture guy taking a chainsaw to stuff/throwing money into the air.
2. Hilton furniture guy wearing Rockets jersey over polo shirt.
3. Pretty much anything C&D Scrap Metal does (I think they had a magic carpet once)
4. Shaun Kelley "Your stomach is roughly the size of your fist."
5. Clobbering big city prices, the clobber line, Ray Childress, etc.
6. Jose Lima "Casa Ole"
7. Willy Taveras car dealership (wasn't that subtitled)
8. Carr getting crushed by Pettite/Clemens for HEB.

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I want to be so rich someday that I can spend $35k on an ad for my favorite football player knowing full well that he will not be drafted any way.
I wonder how much he'll have to pay to put Vince's name on such an add in the future...... right now, he'll just say,"that's not an add"

I haven't seen it, but I'm sure Gallery Furniture is on there somewhere..... fairly easy to see, with a map drawn to all the Houston store locations, where you can "cast your vote"

The mans a frigg'n genius.

I bet it'll be all over the radio talk shows as well.....

cha............. ching.

Tulip
04-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I bet it'll be all over the radio talk shows as well.....

cha............. ching.

Locally - heck yeah! And maybe even nationally - the anonymous ad was mentioned on Rome today.

Porky
04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Locally - heck yeah! And maybe even nationally - the anonymous ad was mentioned on Rome today.

Maybe you didn't read the article today. That ad is no longer anonymous.

MorKnolle
04-26-2006, 07:44 PM

I second that motion, I heard he is taking out a two page ad in tomorrow's newspaper, I wish he'd just put that money in an envelope and give it to me rather than contributing it to the Chronicle.

Tulip
04-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Maybe you didn't read the article today. That ad is no longer anonymous.

I read the article. It was anonymous as far as Jim Rome was concerned. He just said "someone".