PDA

View Full Version : ricky williams loses appeal; suspended for year

kastofsna
04-25-2006, 07:07 PM
no worries. ronnie brown's coming out party. :cool:

Tale Gator
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Don't doubt you, but do you have a link or any more info?

btw - this sucks, but Ricky should have known better...

Tulip
04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
There was a non-working link on the Miami Herald sports page (saying that he lost and would be out for 2006), but it's been removed.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/

Tulip
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2421774

DRIFTAWAY
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
it was just on espn's nfl draft special too.

aj.
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Suspended for one year for losing his appeal for his fourth failed drug test per Fox News....

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I would not mind picking him up if the Dolphins release him for the league minimum with no signing bonus for the next two years.

The Dude Abides
04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
As Emeril would say, "Bam!"

chuckm
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Ricky who?

Lucky
04-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I would not mind picking him up if the Dolphins release him for the league minimum with no signing bonus for the next two years.
Williams will be a 30 year old RB by the time he's eligible to return to the NFL. That's if he agrees to urine tests 3 times a week for the next year while not playing. And passes all of those tests. And still wants to play football. And if his license to practice holistic medicine doesn't come through.

The Ricky Williams saga is over. And I'm glad this turd will never play for my football team.

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Williams will be a 30 year old RB by the time he's eligible to return to the NFL. That's if he agrees to urine tests 3 times a week for the next year while not playing. And passes all of those tests. And still wants to play football. And if his license to practice holistic medicine doesn't come through.

The Ricky Williams saga is over. And I'm glad this turd will never play for my football team.

Interesting that you would not take a chance for peanuts on the dollar, but have no issue giving a fifth chance to a 26 year old QB that inlcuded an 8 million bonus.

In the event that DC and the offense become what we pay them to be, then I would hope that we would be able to have the leadership that can handle a former 1,000 yard dope smoking pacifist.

Tulip
04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
True, he will be a 30-year old running back by the time he returns, but he'll have also 2 1/3 less years of wear and tear on his body than most 30 year old running backs. :heh:

Lucky
04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Interesting that you would not take a chance for peanuts on the dollar, but have no issue giving a fifth chance to a 26 year old QB that inlcuded an 8 million bonus.
David Carr has done everything he can for this franchise. Maybe he doesn't have enough to give. Some, such as yourself, feel that way. Others, like Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, and myself think he has more than enough and needs the opportunity to prove it.

Ricky Williams has quit on every teammate and coach in the NFL who have ever supported him. Ricky always comes first for Ricky. It's obscene the talent Williams has wasted. I wouldn't give Ricky a penny if he was panhandling on the street. And I'd bust open my piggy bank and take out a full page ad in the Chronic denoucing Williams if he were ever rumored to sign with my favorite football team.

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
David Carr has done everything he can for this franchise. Maybe he doesn't have enough to give. Some, such as yourself, feel that way. Others, like Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, and myself think he has more than enough and needs the opportunity to prove it.

Ricky Williams has quit on every teammate and coach in the NFL who have ever supported him. Ricky always comes first for Ricky. It's obscene the talent Williams has wasted. I wouldn't give Ricky a penny if he was panhandling on the street. And I'd bust open my piggy bank and take out a full page ad in the Chronic denoucing Williams if he were ever rumored to sign with my favorite football team.

I cannot argue against your opinion on DC and the braintrust behind that decision. I just do not agree and we will not change each others mind until they play the game.

In regards to Ricky, it may be better served for you to base your final take on what his team mates this year and the current staff have to say. All reports are that Ricky did everything that was expected of him and was a great team mate this year.

Tulip
04-25-2006, 08:48 PM
David Carr has done everything he can for this franchise.

Really? The same David Carr who didn't have the initiative to stay after practice and work with his receivers? The same David Carr who then blamed said receivers for his poor performance?

Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

Tale Gator
04-25-2006, 08:50 PM

http://i3.tinypic.com/whxswl.jpg

ghostlight
04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
THis hurts being a devoted UT fan and admirer of Ricky Williams however it is a very poor character example to our youth. We don't need this type of behavoir being accepted by us for whatever gain we may get. The fight for the lives of our youth is more important for us to win than any sporting event. My heart goes out to Ricky and if he comes back here to Grass Valley I will make it a goal to see him.

Lucky
04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
...All reports are that Ricky did everything that was expected of him and was a great team mate this year.
Um, did you read the title to this thread? The guy failed another drug test. Knowing that one more failure would suspend him from a team that was counting on him.

It's expected for Williams to comply with the NFL's drug policy. That was too much for Ricky to handle. Once again, he put himself above all others. That's not what a good teammate would do.

Tulip
04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't think Ricky should have been suspended the first time.

If the NFL didn't have such a powerless players' union, I don't think this would be an issue. The NFL has no legitimate interest in testing for marijuana. It doesn't enhance performance and it doesn't cause physical danger to the player at work like speed or cocaine could.

I can't comment on this latest substance because I don't know what it is, but all of this BS over marijuana is just annoying.

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Um, did you read the title to this thread? The guy failed another drug test. Knowing that one more failure would suspend him from a team that was counting on him.

It's expected for Williams to comply with the NFL's drug policy. That was too much for Ricky to handle. Once again, he put himself above all others. That's not what a good teammate would do.

Did he miss a game this past year after his suspension? What were the expectations? I would say he exceeded everyone's expectations and will be interesting to see what is said now. Moreover, all I said was league minimum with no signing bonus and your retort was that he is a turd.

I hope you are not a Reggie Bush supporter because that last piece would reek of hypocrisy.

ledzeppelin229
04-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Double Post...But to make some use of it, I'll say this.

KT - The only reason Ricky Williams suddenly put the team first was to try and keep the $$$ he was at risk of losing.

ledzeppelin229
04-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't think Ricky should have been suspended the first time.

If the NFL didn't have such a powerless players' union, I don't think this would be an issue. The NFL has no legitimate interest in testing for marijuana. It doesn't enhance performance and it doesn't cause physical danger to the player at work like speed or cocaine could.

I can't comment on this latest substance because I don't know what it is, but all of this BS over marijuana is just annoying.

Well, public perception is generally negative to marijuana use, and the NFL does have an interest in keeping itis players from getting in criminal trouble through marijuana use. The only way to do this is to conduct drug tests.

So in conclusion, the NFL has a public image and playerbase to sustain.

Edit...Sorry for the double post.

Tulip
04-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, public perception is generally negative to marijuana use, and the NFL does have an interest in keeping itis players from getting in criminal trouble through marijuana use. The only way to do this is to conduct drug tests.

So in conclusion, the NFL has a public image and playerbase to sustain.

Edit...Sorry for the double post.

I'll buy that somewhat, but how often do NFL players get busted for marijuana use? Unless a player/former player is caught selling a van filled with crack rock, I usually don't hear about it.

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Double Post...But to make some use of it, I'll say this.

KT - The only reason Ricky Williams suddenly put the team first was to try and keep the $$$ he was at risk of losing.

And that is why I like the proposition I was pushing, because he found the love for the game again. Once again I am talking league minimum with no signing bonus. Most likely would not happen, but jeez you would think that he had bombed a country with faulty intelligence with all of the pushback here.

Lucky
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Moreover, all I said was league minimum with no signing bonus and your retort was that he is a turd.

Well, he is a turd. That's documented. He's toked away his chance at playing in the NFL. He doesn't deserve a 5th chance. BTW, I love how you drag others into the argument. I think we're talking about Ricky.

And Tulip, Williams agreed to the NFL's drug policy when he signed his contract. He had a choice to be a NFL player or a dope smoker. Just like many of us have a choice to work for a company or be a dope smoker. I know I wouldn't get 4 chances before being let go.

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, he is a turd. That's documented. He's toked away his chance at playing in the NFL. He doesn't deserve a 5th chance. BTW, I love how you drag others into the argument. I think we're talking about Ricky.

If the shoe fits, smell it.

Tulip
04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
]And Tulip, Williams agreed to the NFL's drug policy when he signed his contract. He had a choice to be a NFL player or a dope smoker. Just like many of us have a choice to work for a company or be a dope smoker. I know I wouldn't get 4 chances before being let go.

That doesn't mean the company isn't overreaching in its policies. I understand that he violated the "company"'s policies that he agreed to, but it doesn't mean that the policy itself isn't stupid. IMO, it's stupid. My libertarian side gets peeved occasionally.

ledzeppelin229
04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I'll buy that somewhat, but how often do NFL players get busted for marijuana use? Unless a player/former player is caught selling a van filled with crack rock, I usually don't hear about it.

How many more would be smoking if there wasnt any league testing? Eventually it would become common knowledge for many players, and it would likely reflect poorly on the NFL's public image. These guys are supposed to be role models for the future consumers of NFL merchandise.

kastofsna
04-25-2006, 09:16 PM
personally if you get caught for the 4th time doing something you've been told not to do or risk losing your job and your ability to live normally, then i can't feel bad for you, no matter what people may think about the marijuana testing the NFL has. let's just say you tell a guy that if he steals a gumball from the Circle K 3 more times he gets the death penalty, and he actually steals 3 more gumballs, do you feel bad for him? (obviously hyperbole, but you get my point)

gtexan02
04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
All of you people are assuming for some reason that he tested positive for marijuana, when ALL indications have been that this is NOT the case. in fact, multiple sources have claimed he tested positive for something ELSE entirely. Some have even claimed that he tested positive for a substance related to his holistic medicine practices in India (maybe popee seeds like in Seinfeld lol). Anyway, what if this is some sort of misunderstanding, where something he has been taking as health supplements actually continaed some ingredient he wasn't aware of? Still think so badly of him?

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 11:34 PM
All of you people are assuming for some reason that he tested positive for marijuana, when ALL indications have been that this is NOT the case. in fact, multiple sources have claimed he tested positive for something ELSE entirely. Some have even claimed that he tested positive for a substance related to his holistic medicine practices in India (maybe popee seeds like in Seinfeld lol). Anyway, what if this is some sort of misunderstanding, where something he has been taking as health supplements actually continaed some ingredient he wasn't aware of? Still think so badly of him?

To quote a fellow poster he is a turd. :rolleyes:

The Dude Abides
04-25-2006, 11:37 PM
And that is why I like the proposition I was pushing, because he found the love for the game again. Once again I am talking league minimum with no signing bonus. Most likely would not happen, but jeez you would think that he had bombed a country with faulty intelligence with all of the pushback here.

I think his "love of the game" had something to do with the 8 million dollars he was scheduled to repay the Dolphins last year.

Tale Gator
04-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Ricky was a major part of the Dolphins winning 6 straight to end the season last year. When Brown went down -- Ricky went off and dominated. Williams will be 30 next year but he will have fresh legs, if the Texans could grab him for the vet min it would be a steal. :cool:

Kaiser Toro
04-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I think his "love of the game" had something to do with the 8 million dollars he was scheduled to repay the Dolphins last year.

Yes he came back for the money that is what I quoted. But he wound loving the game again, that is my point.

mexican_texan
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Ricky wasn't caught with weed. One of the herbs he uses for holistic healing is banned by the NFL. Besides, if the NFL cared whether its players smoked, they would test more than once a year.

ghostlight
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM

I would be happy to eat my words. If he lost his appeal what does that mean? I beleive Ricky is a good person at heart but his image is not what I think is good for the young kids following football.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Ricky wasn't caught with weed. One of the herbs he uses for holistic healing is banned by the NFL. Besides, if the NFL cared whether its players smoked, they would test more than once a year.

It is banned by the NFL because it is sold as a masking agent for....weed. By the way, there is no one time a year NFL test. A number of players are chosen at random each week and tested. I think it was Marino who said he got tested 13 times one year. Personally I don't have anything against Ricky smoking other than it is stupid in terms of risking a career so many would have been glad to have.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Really? The same David Carr who didn't have the initiative to stay after practice and work with his receivers?

Geez at least get the rumor mill rumor correct--it was taking his extra game review on top of what the coaches scheduled for him home to review instead of staying at the facility and therefore no one is sure whether or not he is doing it.

The same David Carr who then blamed said receivers for his poor performance?

Got a source for that one?

Texans Horror
04-26-2006, 10:00 AM

I would love more information on what he was busted for, but the press doesn't have anything. The way that not only Ricky's lawyers, but the Dolphins head coach as well, seemes to be attacking the suspension begs for more information and has me thinking this was an unintentional mistake.

However, that being said, I have little tolerance for a guy who has gone this far through the drug policies and is still having issues. He made his bed, now lie in it.

As far as him coming to the Texans, I must admit that a. it will put fans in the seats, and b. including Williams in the running back tandem would add a lot of power to the offense. However, I suspect that Ricky has as good a chance to come here as TO did. McNair doesn't want players with huge issues.

FirstTexansFan
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius this morning, and they stated Ricky was suspended for some holistic medicine he was using that was on the banned list. I'm not sure I can agree with that policy. If he tested positive for Marijauna use, then by all means, the suspension is in order, but I take many vitamin supplements myself. Who's to say I wouldn't test for something banned, when my intent is for better health? One of the prior posters said it was a masking agent, but I've read nothing along those lines, or heard anything from a reliable source to confirm that. Everytime I've seen Ricky Williams interviewed, he comes across as quite articulate, and of decent character. While I don't agree with his drug usage, I don't see how this has affected his performance while playing in the NFL. Count me as one who believes this may be an unfair decision.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 02:01 PM
One of the prior posters said it was a masking agent, but I've read nothing along those lines, or heard anything from a reliable source to confirm that.

Don't have a source for it, but have heard interviews about items getting on the banned list before. You have illegal drugs, performance enhancing drugs and masking agents as the big categories. Ricky may very well have been taking south african multi-tailed lizard tree root for better beard growth, but if it naturally contains something which also functions as a masking agent he is going to fail the test. That's a big problem with these non-verified herbal remedies. They don't have to comply with FDA testing or labelling so you may or may not know what you are getting or in what dose. Not condemning their use generally, but for someone in Ricky's situation he would have been better off playing it safe.

The Dude Abides
04-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Don't have a source for it, but have heard interviews about items getting on the banned list before. You have illegal drugs, performance enhancing drugs and masking agents as the big categories. Ricky may very well have been taking south african multi-tailed lizard tree root for better beard growth, but if it naturally contains something which also functions as a masking agent he is going to fail the test. That's a big problem with these non-verified herbal remedies. They don't have to comply with FDA testing or labelling so you may or may not know what you are getting or in what dose. Not condemning their use generally, but for someone in Ricky's situation he would have been better off playing it safe.

I've taken that South African multi-tailed lizard tree root for better beard growth. The guy who sold it to me is full of crap. I have hair on my back and butt but nothing on my face!:cool:

jlwevans
04-26-2006, 03:51 PM
True, he will be a 30-year old running back by the time he returns, but he'll have also 2 1/3 less years of wear and tear on his body than most 30 year old running backs. :heh:

:) No kidding. Heck, David Carr has had a hell of a lot more wear on his body than Ricky has had.

Texas_Thrill
04-26-2006, 03:56 PM
I find this unfortunate since he did give up the mary jane. He wanted to do something to find peace in his life and in doing so has been penalized for it.

I definitely don't agree with the suspension. Its ashame that if you play in the NFL it seems as if you can have no life outside of it. I feel bad for him b/c now he will retire broke or is already broke. Most of his money goes to paying back the dolphins. Which getting that signing money back is bogus.

infantrycak
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
The same David Carr who then blamed said receivers for his poor performance?

Got a source for that one?

Let's try this again--maybe it will get answered the 2nd time. Or maybe it should go in the hole for unsubstantiated internet statements.

Tale Gator
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
The Toronto Argonauts of the CFL has placed Ricky Williams on its 'negotiation list', giving them exclusive CFL bargaining rights.
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli doesn't mention whether the Dolphins might be in favor of such a move - or if they had a choice. Williams could make up to $150,000 playing in Canada and could stay in game shape. Training camp starts next month.

Our favorite part: classic Draft bust R. Jay Soward is already on the team.

The Dolphins are reportedly "not thrilled" with the idea of Ricky Williams playing in the CFL.
If Miami says they don't want him to play there, he probably can't.

:pigfly:

TwinSisters
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Quincy Carter is playing up there too

:yap :yap