PDA

View Full Version : A Kubiak Dynasty

kiwitexansfan
04-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I am feeling this whole beginning of a new era thing and I have gotta say that I really hope that we can sit here in 10 years time and still be talking about the great job that Kubiak is doing.

I am assuming that he will be a great HC in saying this of course.

I look at what the Steelers have with Cowher and just admire that so much.

Any thoughts about having a good coach and then sticking with them through thick and thin??

abbest
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I am feeling this whole beginning of a new era thing and I have gotta say that I really hope that we can sit here in 10 years time and still be talking about the great job that Kubiak is doing.

Any thoughts about having a good coach and then sticking with them through thick and thin??
Gary should had been the first and only coach of the Texans . McNair realized what a blunder he made in choosing Capers. It`s a blessing Gary was still available. Gary will be coaching here for a while .

HomeBred_Texan
04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Gary should had been the first and only coach of the Texans . McNair realized what a blunder he made in choosing Capers. It`s a blessing Gary was still available. Gary will be coaching here for a while .
I agree. But the reason Kubs was bypassed the first time was because Bob Mc thought he needed a little more seasoning before making the big move. I can't say I would stand behind him through thick and thin yet, I want to see a year BEFORE I evaluate him. If he has 4 losing seasons in a row, you think he would still be a head coach for the 5th?

Bobo
04-25-2006, 07:50 PM

I predict his "dynasty" lasts about the term of his current contract.

CoachJim
04-25-2006, 08:44 PM

Well of course you do ... You're Bobo, the 'chicken little, glass-half-empty, pessimistic, what have the Texans done lately, whinnin' assed, no faith havin' titan lovin' troll. OMG you'd better pull a houdini when my Texans come alive this season cuz I can assure you sir, I as well as many other on this board will do our best to do the :neener: & say we told you so. Especially when we drag your titans up & down Reliant field for 4 quarters, leavin you squealin' from the feelin'.

EDIT: Sorry mods, I couldn't help myself ... this guy makes my *** wanna dip o snuff!

champ1234
04-25-2006, 08:44 PM

I was waiting for you to chime in, Bobo. We all know your stand on Kubiac and how "horrible" he has done this offseason. I personally am proud of the franchise's moves this offseason and believe these moves will improve this team this upcoming season and possibly for the long-haul.

I'm with the original poster. I am very excited about this draft and the upcoming season. :redtowel:

Bobo
04-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I was waiting for you to chime in, Bobo. We all know your stand on Kubiac and how "horrible" he has done this offseason.

:superman:

beerlover
04-25-2006, 09:17 PM
kubiacs odds of success have improved the timing could not be better.....there is no where to go but up :)

Bobo
04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Well of course you do ... You're Bobo, the 'chicken little, glass-half-empty, pessimistic, what have the Texans done lately, whinnin' assed, no faith havin' titan lovin' troll. OMG you'd better pull a houdini when my Texans come alive this season cuz I can assure you sir, I as well as many other on this board will do our best to do the :neener: & say we told you so. Especially when we drag your titans up & down Reliant field for 4 quarters, leavin you squealin' from the feelin'.

EDIT: Sorry mods, I couldn't help myself ... this guy makes my *** wanna dip o snuff!

A.) Didn't like the Oilers when they were in Houston, certainly don't care for them now in Tenn. B.) I believe, in the long run, it'll be me who will be saying I told you so. C.) I could care less who wins the Titans vs. Texans game. I used to -- until Kubiak came on board. D.) Stop :crying:

HomeBred_Texan
04-25-2006, 09:26 PM
A.) Didn't like the Oilers when they were in Houston, certainly don't care for them now in Tenn. B.) I believe, in the long run, it'll be me who will be saying I told you so. C.) I could care less who wins the Titans vs. Texans game. I used to -- until Kubiak came on board. D.) Stop :crying:
Are you for real?

CoachJim
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Well you just keep right on believin' MsCleo ... We all know how good that crystal balls worked for you so far. :stirpot:

Bobo
04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Well you just keep right on believin' MsCleo ... We all know how good that crystal balls worked for you so far. :stirpot:

I don't believe I have any hits or misses yet. But here's one:

:drool: Opposing defensive coordinator looking at films of the Texans offensive line before the start of the 2006 season.

thunderkyss
04-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I agree. But the reason Kubs was bypassed the first time was because Bob Mc thought he needed a little more seasoning before making the big move. I can't say I would stand behind him through thick and thin yet, I want to see a year BEFORE I evaluate him. If he has 4 losing seasons in a row, you think he would still be a head coach for the 5th?

I agree with Abbest.... even though the reason you just stated, was given by both McNair & Kubiak(what did you expect him to say??). But ever since we decided to run a "Denver-type" of run offense, I wondered why we didn't just Hire Kubiak the first time.

Now, I'd love for Kubiak to be our Fisher, our Cowher. I'm really impressed to see the change in direction from overpaying older veterans(has beens) to getting some young blood in here through Free Agency....... & some high character guys who should prove to be true leaders on our team.

I know..... this wasn't started off as a Vince/Bush thread, so I'm moving my the rest of my post.

kiwitexansfan
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Now, I'd love for Kubiak to be our Fisher, our Cowher. I'm really impressed to see the change in direction from overpaying older veterans(has beens) to getting some young blood in here through Free Agency....... & some high character guys who should prove to be true leaders on our team.

I know..... this wasn't started off as a Vince/Bush thread, so I'm moving my the rest of my post.

Fisher, there is another guy who has had a long tenure and has a real commitment from the FO. There is something cool about that.

Thanks for keeping this RB/VY free.

Also I understand that the average coaching life span is less than 5 years, but is that always for the best?

Look at Sherman who is with us now, he took his team to the playoffs year after year, then a bad season and he is gone... I don't get it. Did he forget how to coach?

Texans_Chick
04-25-2006, 10:35 PM

Memo to Dom Capers.

Do not go into a tent alone with Bobo.

Genius, I say: Link: My Bobo Theory (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=320312&#post320312)

Bobo actually says thought provoking things every once in a while. The reflexive pessimism and negativity and the way he says them makes most of his posts hard to take seriously as anything other than look-at-me trolling. (Well, and the repeated Cowher/Holmgren = Capers point of view makes me giggle too). I do appreciate people thinking about stuff and not just doing a herd mentality about things, but if you actually care about adding thoughtful dialogue, tone does matter. There is a way of playing devil's advocate on things without being unpleasant.

An example: I like eating pie. With a fork. On a plate. I don't much care for it in my face though.

I am guessing this analogy gets lost.:cool:

Texas
04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Kubiak has done wonders so far...i cant wait to see what this team will look like 3 seasons from now.

Bobo
04-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Kubiak has done wonders so far...i cant wait to see what this team will look like 3 seasons from now.

He hasn't won a single game yet.

Bobo
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Bobo actually says thought provoking things every once in a while. The reflexive pessimism and negativity and the way he says them makes most of his posts hard to take seriously as anything other than look-at-me trolling. (Well, and the repeated Cowher/Holmgren = Capers point of view makes me giggle too). I do appreciate people thinking about stuff and not just doing a herd mentality about things, but if you actually care about adding thoughtful dialogue, tone does matter. There is a way of playing devil's advocate on things without being unpleasant. An example: I like eating pie. With a fork. On a plate. I don't much care for it in my face though.

I am guessing this analogy gets lost.:cool:

A.) Oh, come about midseason, you will take what I have said *very* seriously, I am sure. But then again, I am sure the die-hard Kubiak supporters will never admit they are wrong and will continue to blame Capers. It will be interesting to see how long they take this track. B.) I haven't brought up the Capers/Cowher/Holmgren analogy for awhile, but it's interesting you brought it up because it obviously seems to have made an impression on you. C.) The pie analogy seems to be more in line with a Geico/Gecko commercial than anything else.

Bobo
04-26-2006, 12:18 AM
I look at what the Steelers have with Cowher and just admire that so much. Any thoughts about having a good coach and then sticking with them through thick and thin??

Seeing that the Texans had one and got rid of him, I don't think that policy is part of the Texans' thinking. If they would have had Cowher, they probably would have fired him when his team went 6-10 after regressing seven games in two years while Capers regressed five.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-26-2006, 12:31 AM
To me at the time Caper was hired, Kubiak was likely McNair's second choice.
Obviously, he made a wrong choice.

And yes, I hope this will be the beginning of something special.:trophy:

HOOK'EM
04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
.........Bobo or Hobo?

Maddict5
04-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Seeing that the Texans had one and got rid of him, I don't think that policy is part of the Texans' thinking. If they would have had Cowher, they probably would have fired him when his team went 6-10 after regressing seven games in two years while Capers regressed five.

:rolleyes: you do realise the players didnt like playing for Capers-look at the quotes from babin,TJ,andre,carr etc it wasnt just a bad season they didnt like the coaching they were being given or does that not fit in with your 'Capers=God' theory so you just ignore it.........

its ok though- i cant wait till next seson when the texans are doing respectably and you will: a) disappear, b) have to watch when all your intellect-challenged posts are thrown back at you

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 09:27 AM
:rolleyes: you do realise the players didnt like playing for Capers-look at the quotes from babin,TJ,andre,carr etc it wasnt just a bad season they didnt like the coaching they were being given or does that not fit in with your 'Capers=God' theory so you just ignore it.........

its ok though- i cant wait till next seson when the texans are doing respectably and you will: a) disappear, b) have to watch when all your intellect-challenged posts are thrown back at you

Okay... somethings are stupid.......... and somethings are beyond stupid...... and somethings, even stupid people don't do.

For instance. I could go into a grocery store in Pt Arthur, Texas, and ask the first woman I see, "What do you think about the Texans chances this year?", and she'll say, "Well don't expect much, if they don't fix that Line" I can turn to the 6 year old next to her, and ask, "what line is she talking about?". That six year old will say, "Da Offensive Line Fool, what's up??".

Are you telling me you don't believe Caper's & Palmer didn't try to fix the offensive line?? I know the results are less than stellar.... but both of these guys get paid money to coach.... and have been for a while. If I'm supposed to believe all these experts, that say Carr is the ticket, because they get paid to evaluate talent, and I don't..... Capers/Pendry/Palmer also fit that bill. It is a possibility, that the line was never the problem...... they were addressing the wrong end of the problem. however much you may not want to believe it.....

But Dom has never(to my knowledge) said anything about the QB position needing work..... Kubiak hasn't stopped.. somethings going on there, even if you don't see it.......

Now let's imagine, you are on a team.. that shuffles people around, out of position. Takes your speed recievers, and ask them to run hitches...... WTF?? Your QB is struggling, taking the beating of his life, we've got a pretty good prospect at backup..... a veteran as well, who nobody would care if he got the tar beat out of him........ and you're going to ask us to run hitches??

Then you're going 3 & out, because your coach is adamant about not making a QB change short of a broken bone.......

Now that's one side of stupid..... hard to understand they couldn't fix the OL.
Here's another side of stupid...... You're about to get fired, if we don't win some games....... I don't care how you win, but you need to win.. We send David Carr out there, and bam, bam, bam......... he's scoring points, he's driving the field, he's looking like a QB........ but we'd better pull the reigns in...WTF??
You're telling me Capers sees this guy in practice wupping butt, and taking names, but come game time, he doesn't trust him with more than one audible??
How many teams have you seen the offense go from fairly complex...didn't David use to wear an armband... a cheat sheet??........ then get simpler, and simpler every year?? your 4th year offense, is simpler(more predictable) than your 1st year??

It never made sense to me, to take a defensive coach, and put him on an expansion team with a rookie QB..... but who knew?? he was fairly successful with that situation in Carolina. Both Young QBs look like they are heading in the same direction........ career wise.........

Now, I know this looks like I am blaming everything on Carr. For the record, I want to state that is not the case. There are a lot of problems on this team, and I think a coaching change was the best way to address most of them in a single stroke. There were other things that didn't make sense, that didn't include David Carr at all...... the 3-4?? WTF.... I love the 3-4, always have....... but what does Capers know about running the 3-4? and he's been fairly successful......... well, darn successfull running the 4-3....... why change??

But for this post, I just picked the most obvious problem we have on our team, and presented alternate reasons. I have been a strong, I think, supporter of Carr, prior to YKW entering the draft, and if we pass on YKW(the guy who counted to infinity twice) I'll be back to being a Carr homer. I can understand Bobo thinking DomCapers deserve to be a head coach in the NFL..... He was brought in because he experienced success early with an Expansion team....worked fairly well with a rookie QB, with a strong arm... and for the most part, he did exactly what he was brought in to do. The 2-14 season is a sharp drop off from where we were in 2004, and it doesn't make any sense at all, that we continue to lead the league in sacks.

Our defense got worse, but should've been expected with the people we let go, the people we kept, and their having to be on the field as often, and as long as they've had to. But these sacks.....

Hawg
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
[/SIZE]

I dont meen to burst your bubble, but Dom has been successful running the 3-4. I dont know of him ever running the 4-3. That is what he has been known for. Im not saying that we didnt need a change though. I love the hiring of the coaching staff. Now lets see how they are going to do.

thunderkyss
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I dont meen to burst your bubble, but Dom has been successful running the 3-4. I dont know of him ever running the 4-3. That is what he has been known for. Im not saying that we didnt need a change though. I love the hiring of the coaching staff. Now lets see how they are going to do.

You're right, my bubble is busted....... I was positive they ran a 4-3 in Carolina..... don't know what I was thinking.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
It never made sense to me, to take a defensive coach, and put him on an expansion team with a rookie QB..... but who knew?? he was fairly successful with that situation in Carolina.

..... the 3-4?? WTF.... I love the 3-4, always have....... but what does Capers know about running the 3-4? and he's been fairly successful......... well, darn successfull running the 4-3....... why change??

....worked fairly well with a rookie QB, with a strong arm...[/i][/SIZE]

Not sure the Capers/Collins relationship was "fairly successful" or displayed any significant coaching skill by Capers in QB development. Collins ended up asking to be benched and the team success came much more despite Collins' performance rather than because of it.

Are you saying Capers doesn't know the 3-4?

Link (http://library.thinkquest.org/12590/domcaper.htm)

awtysst
04-26-2006, 10:04 AM
He hasn't won a single game yet.

We also havent lost a game, given up a sack, an INT or a fumble!:)

TheOgre
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I'm pretty sure he ran the 4-3 when he was D-coordinator of the Jags.

Texans_Chick
04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
A.) Oh, come about midseason, you will take what I have said *very* seriously, I am sure. But then again, I am sure the die-hard Kubiak supporters will never admit they are wrong and will continue to blame Capers. It will be interesting to see how long they take this track. B.) I haven't brought up the Capers/Cowher/Holmgren analogy for awhile, but it's interesting you brought it up because it obviously seems to have made an impression on you. C.) The pie analogy seems to be more in line with a Geico/Gecko commercial than anything else.

A. If people have a problem with Kubiak, I can assure you unequivocably that they will not be wishing that they had Capers back. Eventually Kubiak will be fired because all coaches get fired, but I believe you will be the only one that looks back at the Capers era with fondness. No matter what coach took over the Texans job, Kubiak or otherwise, they are going to have a difficult time changing the culture and establishing a winning tradition and getting their new system understood and in place. I think most rational people understand that.

2. The Capers/Cowher/Holmgren thingy made an impression because it was so freaking goofy. Like off the hook silly. You can't actually believe that. Really, that has to be humor.

III. I don't know what you mean about the Geico/Gecko thing at all. I was just saying that how you present something to somebody matters.

d. Are you related to Capers in some way?

TheOgre
04-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Stop feeding the Troll/Bobo. I'm not sure if he is a fan from a division rival, the Cowboys, or merely a bored moron, but just ignore his posts guys.

Rule number one of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.
Rule number two of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.
Rule number three of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.

Get the picture?

Hawg
04-26-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure he ran the 4-3 when he was D-coordinator of the Jags.

Are you sure. I could have swore that he has always ran the 3-4.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you sure. I could have swore that he has always ran the 3-4.

He ran a primary 4-3 in Jax. He even played Gary Walker some at DE there in a 4-3 alignment.

Hawg
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
He ran a primary 4-3 in Jax. He even played Gary Walker some at DE there in a 4-3 alignment.

Really, OK. You learn somthing new everyday. So i wonder why we never went to the 4-3, with all of the players that we had that were primarily 4-3 players. I thought that it was that Capers only did the 3-4. Now im thinking that he just didnt know how to utalize his talent that well,IMO.

dalemurphy
04-26-2006, 10:49 AM

The problem in Houston was that it was Vic Fangio running the defense and not Capers. Capers is an excellent defensive coach and I was a big supporter of his for 3 years. However, it became apparent that he was totally unequipped to manage people. He didn't have a pulse on the team or his staff.

infantrycak
04-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Really, OK. You learn somthing new everyday. So i wonder why we never went to the 4-3, with all of the players that we had that were primarily 4-3 players. I thought that it was that Capers only did the 3-4. Now im thinking that he just didnt know how to utalize his talent that well,IMO.

Look back at a lot of passing downs the last couple years and you saw a ton of times where the Texans took out one of the 3 DLmen and had the OLB's move up right off the 2 DLmen remaining either standing or with a hand on the ground--that was essentially a 4-3 substitution package.

Hawg
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Look back at a lot of passing downs the last couple years and you saw a ton of times where the Texans took out one of the 3 DLmen and had the OLB's move up right off the 2 DLmen remaining either standing or with a hand on the ground--that was essentially a 4-3 substitution package.

Ok never realized that. Thanks for the insight.

Double Barrel
04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Stop feeding the Troll/Bobo. I'm not sure if he is a fan from a division rival, the Cowboys, or merely a bored moron, but just ignore his posts guys.

Rule number one of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.
Rule number two of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.
Rule number three of Killing Trolls...don't feed them.

Get the picture?

Especially when said troll is Bobo the Titans fan (proven!). :loser

Note to Capers homers: He's gone. Go be a Dolphins fan if you follow coaches instead of teams.

oh yeah, one more thing: Capers is 49-81 as a head coach, and only had one winning season out of eight years. He'll most likely be a coordinator for the rest of his football career (good luck to him, too).

I won't even speculate about a potential "Kubiak dynasty" at this point. Might as well wish upon a star and wait for my winning lottery ticket. This is wild-eyed speculation until we get at least one winning season under our belt (much less a playoff berth). Pie in the sky is nice and all, but you never get to eat it.

El Tejano
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
When you say that you make it sound as if this is our destiny dynasty.

TheOgre
04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I have to admit that Gary Kubiak was my first and only choice for our head coaching position when they announced that Houston beat out LA for the expansion team. I actually think it worked out better, because I don't know that Kubiak would have been ready to start an expansion team 4 years ago. I think he is ready for this team now though.

El Tejano
04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay... somethings are stupid.......... and somethings are beyond stupid...... and somethings, even stupid people don't do.

For instance. I could go into a grocery store in Pt Arthur, Texas, and ask the first woman I see, "What do you think about the Texans chances this year?", and she'll say, "Well don't expect much, if they don't fix that Line" I can turn to the 6 year old next to her, and ask, "what line is she talking about?". That six year old will say, "Da Offensive Line Fool, what's up??".

Are you telling me you don't believe Caper's & Palmer didn't try to fix the offensive line?? I know the results are less than stellar.... but both of these guys get paid money to coach.... and have been for a while. If I'm supposed to believe all these experts, that say Carr is the ticket, because they get paid to evaluate talent, and I don't..... Capers/Pendry/Palmer also fit that bill. It is a possibility, that the line was never the problem...... they were addressing the wrong end of the problem. however much you may not want to believe it.....

[/i][/SIZE]

I think for one, we aren't making left guards centers, and right guard tackles when they never really played that position. We actually went out and got a 3 TIME PROBOWLER to play center.