PDA

View Full Version : A warning to Chronicle print subscribers

aj.
04-23-2006, 09:11 AM
If you're anything but pro-Vince, make sure you are not mid-gulp of your morning coffee before you turn to page C11 in today's print edition.

If you're pro-Vince, I'm sure you will find it amusing and one more thing to rally around.

Not trying to sell papers here, just a very 'mysterious' full page ad appears in the print edition of Chronicle Sports this morning. No disclosure on who paid for the ad - I assume the Chronicle did it themselves -- or maybe it was "Holly F" who was the author of one of the two highly anonymous "Draft Vince" fan letters to Bob McNair that were blown up to fit one page. Or maybe Mattress Mac, Richard Justice, Rich Lord and John McClain pooled a few bucks....

The content of the letters is nothing special, however, the effect of the full page ad is quite compelling - and will almost certainly stir the emotions of Texas exes everywhere in these final days leading up to the draft. The Texans fan feedback email address, street address, and fax number appear at the bottom of the ad.

I would hope that McNair is steadfast enough to do what he believes is best - whatever that decsion may be - regardless of last minute sway campaigns that mimic pre election day hype and politics.

I wonder if the pro-Bush/pro-Carr camp will get equal time from the Chronic? I guess if someone comes up with the $$$ to cover the cost of a full pager. Any takers?

The Chronicle's sports editor is Fred Faour. His email is fred.faour@chron.com

Chronicle Sports also takes email at sptletters@chron.com

Yes, it's a tired old topic, but this was newsworthy nonetheless.

SheTexan
04-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I canceled my subscription to the Chronicle almost two years ago. Got sick and tired of all the pro-Cowboy/Titan news our friend J. McClain was shoving down our throats. Also, because of the Chronicles biased political opinions. Just my way of protesting my dislike for the way our only newspaper publishes news. During football season I pick up a paper on Monday morning and Fridays, mainly to check stuff for my fantacy football team. Other than that, I get news off the internet or TV, and this MB!:)

Porky
04-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I saw it early this morning, and almost upchucked my oatmeal. I have two words for you. This has his fingerprints all over it - Mattress Mack. :spy:

Vinny
04-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, VY baby, VY!!! Keep the hope alive!

texansfan88
04-23-2006, 10:15 AM
To whoever has the money to blow on something as ridiculous as what I read this morning, do you mind buying me a house, car, steamboat, a bag of cracker jacks, and giving up your suite at the stadium to me when we don't draft Vince?

What kind of person wastes money on something like this? Those full page ads are A LOT of money, and like it or not, this has NO BEARING on what goes on inside Reliant Stadium. I like the passion, but completely dumb move on so many different levels.

If you're going to do something like this, make sure you add why we should take vince over reggie besides saYing reggie is "a good player"

If whoever did that reads these boards, I would like you to fulfill my request for things, especially the suite in the stadium, that i have posted above.

Signed,

Everyone

Marcus
04-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, VY baby, VY!!! Keep the hope alive!
Yeah, I was wondering if you and Rich Lord were one and the same.:rolleyes:

It's not often anymore when I sit at the breakfast table on Sunday morning, and while reading the sports page, I see something that makes me yell out loud, "You got to be ******in kidding me!", and my wife, startled, asks what's wrong, and I show her, and she gulps, and repeats "You got to be ******in kidding me!"

This is a low-life move for the Chronic to allow something like this. I hope the feedback they get will make them happy.:mad:

Texans Pride
04-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Signed,

Everyone

Wow . . . Really?

Vinny
04-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I was wondering if you and Rich Lord were one and the same.:rolleyes: Why is that? I really think he is the elite prospect in this draft but I don't start threads about it...I don't post redundantly about it....does it really hurt you that much to see a contrary opinion from me that doesn't run with the pack? Why must one (or some) of the posters have to think like everyone else?

chuckm
04-23-2006, 10:45 AM
anyone have a parakeet? or new puppies? maybe a few mullet?

texanfan2100
04-23-2006, 10:48 AM
If you're anything but pro-Vince, make sure you are not mid-gulp of your morning coffee before you turn to page C11 in today's print edition.

If you're pro-Vince, I'm sure you will find it amusing and one more thing to rally around.

Not trying to sell papers here, just a very 'mysterious' full page ad appears in the print edition of Chronicle Sports this morning. No disclosure on who paid for the ad - I assume the Chronicle did it themselves -- or maybe it was "Holly F" who was the author of one of the two highly anonymous "Draft Vince" fan letters to Bob McNair that were blown up to fit one page. Or maybe Mattress Mac, Richard Justice, Rich Lord and John McClain pooled a few bucks....

The content of the letters is nothing special, however, the effect of the full page ad could be quite compelling - and will almost certainly stir the emotions of Texas exes everywhere in these final days leading up to the draft. The Texans fan feedback email address, street address, and fax number appear at the bottom of the ad.

I would hope that McNair is steadfast enough to do what he believes is best - whatever that decsion may be - regardless of last minute sway campaigns that mimic pre election day hype and politics.

I wonder if the pro-Bush/pro-Carr camp will get equal time from the Chronic? I guess if someone comes up with the $$$ to cover the cost of a full pager. Any takers?

The Chronicle's sports editor is Fred Faour. His email is fred.faour@chron.com

Chronicle Sports also takes email at sptletters@chron.com

Yes, it's a tired old topic, but this was newsworthy nonetheless.

I about fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. I'm going to say that "Holly F" doesn't exist. This is probably something the chronicle printed themselves. If you've noticed, every chronicle writer is extremely pro-Vince. I have a theory about this. If Vince comes to Houston, the "journalists" practically have all their stories written for them. They also sell more papers because all the t-sips want to read about Vince. If anthing else happens with the pick, the writers actually have to work to write their stories, and the chronicle doesn't sell as many papers. The chronicle has an extremely vested interest in getting Vince Young in a Texans uniform. I understand this, but wish they could be a little more discrete about it.

If someone actually did write this, get over it. The world will go on without Vince Young in Houston, Texas. And the football team will be better for it.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Come on 4/30/06 . I think at this point if the Texans draft Vince then their more concerned about a popularity contest than football .

gwallaia
04-23-2006, 10:50 AM
The ad was a waste of someone's money. Maybe it was Vince who wrote the letter.:worm:

bulldog87
I responded to the email posted in the paper. I said "please dont listen to amatuers who know nothing about evaluating talent." I am not saying VW does not have talent what I am saying is I hope they will get whoever will help this team the most. It probaly dont matter any way, if i had to oversee all the emails they get i would wear out the delete key on my computer.

Marcus
Why is that? I really think he is the elite prospect in this draft but I don't start threads about it...I don't post redundantly about it....does it really hurt you that much to see a contrary opinion from me that doesn't run with the pack? Why must one (or some) of the posters have to think like everyone else?
It was the "Keep Hope Alive" quote that I was razzing you about Vinny. Those are the words Rich Lord always uses anymore when the discussion of Vince comes up.

I actually do respect your opinion that VY would be the better choice.:shocked But stay away from Rich Lord, Vinny . . puleeese!

Tulip
04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't usually buy the Sunday paper, but I'll make an exception today. It sounds like something that will make me smile.

Vinny
04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
It was the "Keep Hope Alive" quote that I was razzing you about Vinny. Those are the words Rich Lord always uses anymore when the discussion of Vince comes up.

I actually do respect your opinion that VY would be the better choice.:shocked But stay away from Rich Lord, Vinny . . puleeese!
I'm not big on Rich Lord, but people need to get over others having differing opinions. I'm very excited and very pumped for the draft but some of you guys just bring me down when I see the posts demeaning people who are not all on the same page (not talking to you directly here) due to pack mentality. Honestly, I don't think we draft Young but I haven't changed my mind since I last watched last years College football season. I think he will be the freak of this draft in a few years. No amount of rationalizations will change it unless they play some more games so I can change my opinion based on actual football played on a football field.

Tulip
04-23-2006, 10:59 AM
P.S. - Bud Adams must be enjoying his Sunday morning coffee and paper.

BigWig
04-23-2006, 11:00 AM
For us out of towners can someone post a visual or link?

Texans Pride
Because I live out of state, I have not seen the ad. Are people getting upset that a full page ad was taken out that is campaigning to draft Young, or is there more to it that I am missing?

aj.
P.S. - Bud Adams must be enjoying his Sunday morning coffee and paper.
Of course he is because all he sees are the $,$$$,$$$'s in jersey sales that he will reap from within Bob McNair's home market.

I canceled my subscription to the Chronicle almost two years ago. ... Also, because of the Chronicles biased political opinions.

Concur on the politics. A good example is today's leading story in the op-ed section. A story calling the Republican Party (God's Own Party - the GOP) the "first religious party in US history, and that the party is nothing more than a bunch of "biblical captives." Uh...okay. Fox news can't get far enough to the right to balance some of the stuff that appears on those pages. Naturally, the Washington Post was the first paper to pick up that article..

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Because I live out of state, I have not seen the ad. Are people getting upset that a full page ad was taken out that is campaigning to draft Young, or is there more to it that I am missing?

...and Big Wig

It's really nothing special to look at and I don't think anyone is upset .... we are probably the only ones who are publicly debating it (until tomorrow when it hits the mainstream local sports talk radio).

The ad is 60% blank space with two pro-Vince fan letters centered on the page, with the theme "do the right thing Mr. McNair." .....and not signed or attributed to anyone.... totally anonymous but it reeks of Chronicle self interest. I think if it was Mac, he would have put his GF banner on the page with a bunch of stars and stripes and other ****.

It's the fact that someone (or the Chronicle itself) ran a full pager in the Sunday edition before the draft that hit me...

Vinny
04-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Perhaps River Oaks Chrysler is behind this ad?

BigWig
04-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Well at least we know there is a slim chance we could have a Longhorn at the helm one day!

SheTexan
04-23-2006, 11:11 AM
I sure hope our First Aid camp has plenty of valium, prozac, band-aids, jack and coke, SOMETHING ready for all the disappointed VY fans come next Sat!!

I think I might have to borrow TEDC's hard hat! Might get nasty at Reliant after RB becomes our newest TEXAN!!:redtowel: I'm not real sure how all these VY fans will react!! Should I be scared??:hide: :club:

Tulip
04-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Of course he is because all he sees are the $,$$$,$$$'s in jersey sales that he will reap from within Bob McNair's home market.

Yeah, and I can hardly blame him. It just strengthens his remaining presence in the Houston market.

BigDTexansFan
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Well at least we know there is a slim chance we could have a Longhorn at the helm one day!

God I hope you are not advocating we bring Wacky Mack to Houston, I would prefer Colts, Titans, Jags or Cowboys hire him...will make watching them implode all that much more fun. I have never been a Mack fan, think in his decision making he coaches more like Johnny Mackovic (and we know what a great college/NFL coach he was). :brickwall

gwallaia
04-23-2006, 11:16 AM
I will be skipping the Texan Draft Party. When Bush is selected, there will be alot of angry people wearing burnt orange t-shirts.

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm curious how far this thread will go before it deteriorates into a worthless pile of megabytes like all the rest. I'll set the over/under at 35.

Lucky
04-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah, and I can hardly blame him. It just strengthens his remaining presence in the Houston market.
Well, Bud could strengthen the Titans presence in the LA market by selecting Leinart. And LA is a slightly larger market than H-town.

P.S. That ad reeks of MM. I'm sure he has an endorsement deal with Vince in his back pocket.

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I will be skipping the Texan Draft Party. When Bush is selected, there will be alot of angry people wearing burnt orange t-shirts.

I wouldn't miss this one for the world. I'm going to position myself at ground zero and take it all in.... and probably write about it. :cool:

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, Bud could strengthen the Titans presense in the LA market by selecting Leinart. And LA is a slightly larger market than H-town.

P.S. That ad reeks of MM. I'm sure he has an endorsement deal with Vince in his back pocket.

I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feel but I think the revenue from VY jersey sales in Texas will surpass Leinart jersey sales in LA.

gwallaia
04-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't miss this one for the world. I'm going to position myself at ground zero and take it all in.... and probably write about it. :cool:

Looking forward to your aticle.:dancing:

Tulip
04-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, Bud could strengthen the Titans presense in the LA market by selecting Leinart. And LA is a slightly larger market than H-town.

Bud's team didn't reside in LA for 35+ years, so I'm not sure how he would get the same advantage.

Tulip
04-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feel but I think the revenue from VY jersey sales in Texas will surpass Leinart jersey sales in LA.

Yeah, well, there's that too.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Bud's team didn't reside in LA for 35+ years, so I'm not sure how he would get the same advantage.

I may be different, but the Titans don't reflect Houston to me anymore, I don't think of McNair as an oiler anymore than I think of Sharper,Glenn, or Coleman (for example) as a Texan..
But back when it was McNair,George,Mathews, (and the list goes on) it stung watching them

As far as the ad goes, It is nice to show support, yet I wish some of the people would have shown at least half the enthusiasm (like the ad in the paper) for the Texans to get an OL for Carr.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 11:31 AM

I agree w/ that

Marcus
04-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't quite understand why the fans with burnt orange t-shirts would want to go someplace where they know their going to be disappointed. Especially if Bush is already signed to a contract before the draft begins.

Lucky
04-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm just talking about marketing the player. I don't really understand what else you are referring to. And if catering to marketing is a concern (not saying it is or should be), my gut tells me to go with the player from the larger market.

Besides, Bush jersey sales will dwarf those of Young and Leinart. Take that, Bud!

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I may be different, but the Titans don't reflect Houston to me anymore, I don't think of McNair as an oiler anymore than I think of Sharper,Glenn, or Coleman (for example) as a Texan..
But back when it was McNair,George,Mathews, (and the list goes on) it stung watching them

There are still a lot of Titans fans in Houston, #9 fans especially, but the ranks have dwindled with the exodus of almost all of our old players and their poor record of late. Bud will regain some of that lost foothold by drafting #10.

Tulip
04-23-2006, 11:35 AM

All I know is that I've attended four Texans/Titans games at Reliant, and there are already enough Titans jerseys there to make me pause. Add Vince Young into the mix, and there will too much columbia blue and navy blue for me to stomach.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't quite understand why the fans with burnt orange t-shirts would want to go someplace where they know their going to be disappointed. Especially if Bush is already signed to a contract before the draft begins.

exactly and even if we don't sign Bush beforehand
Carr,Rosenfels, Ragone.... that should say enough to say we won't take a QB in first few rounds.

could you imagine the UT fans if we took Reggie McNeal in the 2nd day.. hhmmmm :stirpot:

I will be suprised if we don't take a late round QB ,seems to be a trend

Wolf
04-23-2006, 11:39 AM
All I know is that I've attended four Texans/Titans games at Reliant, and there are already enough Titans jerseys there to make me pause. Add Vince Young into the mix, and there will too much columbia blue and navy blue for me to stomach.

you got me on that one, I never have had the opportunity to go to a Texan-Titans game to see it live and see what people are wearing.

aj.
04-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't quite understand why the fans with burnt orange t-shirts would want to go someplace where they know their going to be disappointed. .

Since the event is crawling with media, maybe to show their anger and frustration in a highly visible way?

OzzO
04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, that was a pretty bold move by someone out there. Surprised a "reputable" newspaper would do something like that. Couldn't find the link, but those out of town... (excuse typos, if any)

Dear Mr. McNair,
Thank you for your personal note to season ticket holders about the disappointment the Texans experienced last season. Hiring Dan Reeves (touchdown pass in the ice bowl) is a great start. However, you need to listen to many people to really make great decisions.

I have been following pro football in Texas since 1960 when the Cowboys, original Texans, and Oilers started operations. It is my opinion that the current Texans are not taking calculated risks to get much better. They take the easy way out. By making lower risk decisions the rewards have a lower impact. Luck is when preparation meet opportunity. Still you must jump on the opportunity. The quarterbak is te most improtant position to lead your team. A great quarterback comes along once every 5 years. Seize the opportunity and draft Vince Young.

People may say that he has not developed enough as compared to Bush. However, who has more potential to get the players, coaches, and fans excited about every play? Any great offensive coordinator would love to draw up plays for Vince to run. Who would worry a defensive coordinator the most Bush or Vince? Roger Staubach was a runner like VInce and he won the Super Bowl. Just like Bob Hayes (Cowboys) changed the way recievers were covered, Vince Young will change the way defenses are played. Also, I am sure that neither Bud Adams nor Jerry Jones would pass on drafting Vince Young.

For the rest of your life, people will be talking about your decision. Draft Vince Young.

Regards, Holly F.

from the Chronicle, page C11 - April 23rd, 2006.

BeerFan
04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Holly F = Holly Fame = Hall of Fame

more pointless propaganda

nunusguy
04-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I was wondering if you and Rich Lord were one and the same.:rolleyes:

I'm told that RL did basically the same thing 'back about 1990 or so when
Andre Ware came out of U of H, so his whole agenda for VY is nothing origional - not the first time, probably won't tbe the last he gets silly over a local jock to kiss up to a significant portion of the 610 audience.
I'm not too concerned about McNair being swayed by things like this, but if he somehow was it would really devalue my opinion of him as the Texans' owner and a business man. If anybody thinks there's controversy now, it would be nothing, absolutely nothing compared to what he'd have if Carr and
VY were both on the roster together.
And think of what it would do to undercut the authority and confidence of his
new HC, whos solidly on board with Carr as his QB according to his own remarks which were widely recorded. And ultimately, Carr + Reggie is just
more valuable to the Texans than VY.

OzzO
04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
... and for the 2nd half of the same page....

When Vince Young led UT to the national championship, it brought everyone in Texas together. The streets of Houston were empty during the Rose Bowl. How often do the sports teams of Houston get to draft a local hero? Earl Cambell and Hakeem Olajuwon were both very successful choices. Houston has a chance to get another great hometown hero.

The NFL draft is about a week away and the Texans have the first draft choice. Mr. McNair and his advisors currently think that Reggie Bush is the best choice. While Reggie is a great player, I think that Vince Young would be the best for the Texans in many ways. The only reason for McNair to draft Vince is to drmatically improve the Texans. If you have an opinion, good facts, or historical reasons to draft Vince, please let Mr. McNair hear from you. Currently, almost all the press is convinced that Vince was good in two Bowl games but that he has liited great QB potential.

If you are a fan, explain why drafting Vince would be a good decision for the fans.. If you are a businessman, explain why drafting Vince is a good business decision. If you are an NFL insider, get quotes from former NFL players and coachews.

This is our opportunity to make a difference in our football team, the Houston Texans. Send letters, emial, and petitions to the Texans. Be sure to explain your reasoning.

Then goes on to give the email, fax, and address of the Texans... interestingly - that one wasn't signed.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 11:57 AM
funny how the article talks about calculated risks

hmm
Hollings,Boselli, etc,etc,..

Texans_Chick
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't miss either. I am actually pretty interested to watch how this draft works out. And I am working on getting the perfect lucky draft outfit together because it can't hurt.

I am guessing one of the numerous rich UT alums of the Houston area paid for the ad. Joe Jamail could buy something like this just as easy as buying a cuppa coffee.

JDizzle
04-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Isn't all NFL licensed apparel revenue split equally among teams with the exception of things sold inside the stadium?

Vinny
04-23-2006, 12:16 PM
funny how the article talks about calculated risks

hmm
Hollings,Boselli, etc,etc,..Boselli brought us Walker and Payne...without them we don't beat the Cowboys in our first game ever most likely. Hollings was just a bad pick...

Blake
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Boselli brought us Walker and Payne...without them we don't beat the Cowboys in our first game ever most likely. Hollings was just a bad pick...

I have bad dreams about that deal. I think all 3 of those guys are more hassle than they were worth.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Boselli brought us Walker and Payne...without them we don't beat the Cowboys in our first game ever most likely. Hollings was just a bad pick...

very true Vinny, I was trying to think of risks this franchise has taken (boom or bust if you will) off the top of my head..

Ibar_Harry
Actually this and other comments have been why I have stated that Carr should simply move on. I've said its going to be a nightmare for him and his family and he simply doesn't deserve what will happen to him this year in Houston. He could take the Texans to the SB and it would still not be enough.

I also believe this is another reason that Williams should be considered instead of Bush or Young. I think its honestly a viable option and has been on the books for some time just for the above reasons. A mess has been created and there's nothing McNair can do about it.

I believe that owners like Wilson are up in arms over salaries and McNair can gain a few points by popping the salary bubble. The best way to do that is to not take Bush or VY at number 1. He should take Williams and just let the chips fall where they may. That will infuriate most, but it actually might be the best decision in the long run for the team.

bckey

Or when Mario Williams is selected there will be a lot of angry Bush fans.:)

Lucky
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I believe that owners like Wilson are up in arms over salaries and McNair can gain a few points by popping the salary bubble. The best way to do that is to not take Bush or VY at number 1. He should take Williams and just let the chips fall where they may. That will infuriate most, but it actually might be the best decision in the long run for the team.
The best decision will be to select the best player for this team. Catering to an octogenarian from Buffalo is not a good decision.

BTW, Carr taking the Texans to the Super Bowl will be enough. I promise.

Wolf
04-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Actually this and other comments have been why I have stated that Carr should simply move on. I've said its going to be a nightmare for him and his family and he simply doesn't deserve what will happen to him this year in Houston. He could take the Texans to the SB and it would still not be enough.

we are talking about VY here not Brian Griese going to the Dophins(a few years ago) after his dad was a Dolphin great.

seriously..
yes, it is sad the people put in that much support for one player that hasn't played a down in the NFL (who I do like) yet, don't show the support like that for what we have.

aj.
04-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Isn't all NFL licensed apparel revenue split equally among teams with the exception of things sold inside the stadium?

Yeah, I guess that's generally true ... but I didn't think it was all shared. I know with the new CBA that the players were lobbying for their cut of jersey sales. I don't think they got it.

There's also the case where one owner in particular has circumvented the rules and established "Pro Shops" off premises like what the Cowboys have done at Rivercenter and Katy Mills. I'm pretty sure that all goes back to Jerry and none is shared.

I don't think Bud has any "Pro Shops" anywhere ... but having thousands of people from the Sixth Ward to Sixth Street donning his colors can't be all that bad for business.

SheTexan
04-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't miss either.

Nor would I Chick!! Look forward to seeing you there!!

Personally, I don't care WHAT College a football player comes from. Strange that I went to a college that didn't have football, but I did. To show up in burndt orange and act like a fool just because you don't get what you want is simple ridiculous!! JMO! Wonder what would happen if I showed up with an A&M banner in support of Kubiac?! Might not make it home alive!! This should not be a college issue at all. This is the NFL, BIG difference!! Again JMO!! I'll be decked out in RED, WHITE, and BLUE and proud of it!!!!

Yankee_In_TX
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
This whole situation cracks me up. ONLY in Texas could this happen.

Man, rich people need better things to spend their $ on, like charity.

dtran04
04-23-2006, 12:48 PM
David Carr's family is gonna need alot of security at the games. No need for more things to be thrown at them.

GP
04-23-2006, 12:50 PM
When people don't release their name(s) for stuff like this. all credibility goes out the window.

I think this has the fingerprints of VY and his agency, or at least some very wealthy UT person trying to get their guy over the top.

By the way, I wish I could be at the draft party because I think it's going to be a rowdy event. Smells like an emotional trainwreck waiting to happen. Lots of spilled fuel and explosions. Carnage. Mayhem. Wish I could be there to see it.

TwinSisters
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
The Chronicle also purchased some high profile real-estate on HoustonTexans.com to hawk the article.

I love it.

disaacks3
04-23-2006, 12:57 PM
(Yankee, SheTex, et al.) - If nothing else, the antics at the Draft Party will give us something to chat about at the luncheon on the 3rd! :yahoo:

Seriously, I'm at about the same point I was before the last presidential election. I'm more interested in the process being OVER than I am about who gets picked. There's too much talent at the top of this draft to really go wrong...unless CC trades us down into oblivion.

nunusguy
04-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I also believe this is another reason that Williams should be considered instead of Bush or Young. I think its honestly a viable option and has been on the books for some time just for the above reasons. A mess has been created and there's nothing McNair can do about it.
The main issue here with the VY crowd is not Bush vs VY, its
Carr vs VY because Carr stands in the way of what the VY crowd wants -
VY to be the Texans QB. And if anybody is takin besides Young, the VY crowd will be hostile towards Carr because they will say he was the reason
VY wasn't drafted. So taking Williams first, or Ferguson first, etc. will not
appease them for a moment.

Marcus
04-23-2006, 01:32 PM
The main issue here with the VY crowd is not Bush vs VY, its
Carr vs VY because Carr stands in the way of what the VY crowd wants -
VY to be the Texans QB. And if anybody is takin besides Young, the VY crowd will be hostile towards Carr because they will say he was the reason
VY wasn't drafted. So taking Williams first, or Ferguson first, etc. will not
appease them for a moment.

Personally, I'd just as soon the VY crowd honor their threats to cancel their season tickets if they are going to show up to be hostile just because they didn't get what they wanted

TEXANRED
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
The ad was a waste of someone's money. Maybe it was Vince who wrote the letter.:worm:
Na, Vince's agent. One last ditch effort for him to try and get the comminssions of a thiry million dollar signing bonus.

Look at the front of the Texans main page. Who do you see? Mario Williams and Reggie Bush. Who are the onlyl two prospects even being talked to about a contract? Mario Williams and Reggie Bush. So why do people still think there is hope that we will draft Vince?

Riddal me this: What do Vince Young and I have in common?
Answer: The same likelyhood that either one of us will get drafted by the Texans.:)

Mr. White
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't see what the big deal is here. I don't live in Houston so I don't see Chronicle ads and I didn't see this one. From what I've gathered this is in fact a full page ad.

Q: How could the Chronicle allow it?
A: Because it's a business and it runs for a profit. It makes money by selling ads. The same way TV networks run infomercials late at night.

If there's money to be made, they'll try to make it.

I think the bigger deal is that a lot of people on this MB don't agree with the message of the ad. Whether we like it or not, the prevailing opinion around Houston and Texas (not necessarily the real fans) is that the Texans should draft Vince Young.

IMO, this is the last gasp of a lost cause and should be taken with a grain of salt.

vtech9
04-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't see what the big deal is here. I don't live in Houston so I don't see Chronicle ads and I didn't see this one. From what I've gathered this is in fact a full page ad.

Q: How could the Chronicle allow it?
A: Because it's a business and it runs for a profit. It makes money by selling ads. The same way TV networks run infomercials late at night.

If there's money to be made, they'll try to make it.

I think the bigger deal is that a lot of people on this MB don't agree with the message of the ad. Whether we like it or not, the prevailing opinion around Houston and Texas (not necessarily the real fans) is that the Texans should draft Vince Young.

IMO, this is the last gasp of a lost cause and should be taken with a grain of salt.
I don't know if this is true or not. I think that alot of the people that agree with article, are tired of all of the personal attacks because of their support for Vince, so they just don't comment.

I see so many derogetory comments from the Bush supporters piled upon anyone that differs with their view, that I very rarely even come to read the boards anymore. I have no problem with disagreeing about something, but the personal attacks need to stop.

TEXANRED
04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know if this is true or not. I think that alot of the people that agree with article, are tired of all of the personal attacks because of their support for Vince, so they just don't comment.

I see so many derogetory comments from the Bush supporters piled upon anyone that differs with their view, that I very rarely even come to read the boards anymore. I have no problem with disagreeing about something, but the personal attacks need to stop.
The same could be said for the VY camp when responding to any Bush comment.

Really the only time I even respond in a negative manner toward another poster is when they get on here and cry and throw temper tantrims saying they will never ever go to another game again and burn there season tickets or say they will become Titan fans or talk about how stupid everyone is for not wanting VY. That is when you get bombarded.

I am not even really in the Bush camp. I see the deffinet upside and get a little tingley when thinking of all the fire power this offense is getting. I am a David Carr supporter, thru and thru.

I like VY. Just not as a Texan. I think he will be very very very successfull in a Raider uni. I hope he goes there cause I like the Raiders.

But thats just my opinion, I have been known to be wrong once or twice.

Texans_Chick
04-23-2006, 07:35 PM
In thinking about this some more, I bet the money behind the ad was Jim "Mattress Mac" MacInvale. It would make sense:

1. He is a big time advertiser.

2. He is a big time Vince fan.

3. He has had Vince do an appearance at Gallery Furniture.

4. From what I understand, he has a lot of Aggie students do work for him when they are on break. After the Rose Bowl, he made his employees, even the Aggies wear Longhorn gear. If you go to Gallery Furniture, you are very likely going to see the Rose Bowl game on the big screen TV as you walk in.

5. He would so want Vince to stay in Houston.

(disclaimer, Gallery Furniture really did save me money).

TwinSisters
04-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I think Vince Young should be awarded the LA Market and given his own team. He already owns Southern California, might as well give him an NFL team to go with it.

:club:

HJam72
04-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I think Monarch did it. :)

TexasJedi
04-23-2006, 08:15 PM
I think Monarch did it. :)
No, we would know if it was Monarch. It would have been handwritten on aged parchment with a quill in Old English script and sealed with a wax seal. Yeah and there would have been a reference to the "clouds parting".

Sportsfan
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Could someone post a pic of this? A scan or something??

Tulip
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Could someone post a pic of this? A scan or something??

My scanner isn't that big. Not that I know how to use it anyway.

There's lots of white space around the edges. The letter and the appeal to fans already posted in here are the entire contents. Very simple. No graphics or anything. Just the text.

aj.
04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/aj_texans/P1010001.jpg

edo783
04-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Fancy Toilet Paper?

JK

It's the Chronical, so...yup, pretty much T.P.

houstonbuckeye
04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
the defense needs help at linebacker and hawk fits the bill. He will come to play at 100% all the time and give the texans defense a heart and soul.:yahoo:

ledzeppelin229
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
It's the Chronical, so...yup, pretty much T.P.

Don't do my fancy toilet paper an injustice such as that. My "Angel Soft" has plenty more uses than the Chronic...and surely feels much better in a direct contest.

texman8
04-24-2006, 02:11 AM

Nice job! aj ........I can almost read it. I read the original. If someone is going to spend the money for a full page ad; they should have the guts to give their whole name. I doubt this will hold much sway with Texans FO.This is going to be a football decision....I would ok with Vy only if they didn't reup Carr. Bush is the one unless he wants crazy money.

Erratic Assassin
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Vince wouldn't even be our second choice. I'm sure a lot of other teams feel the same way.

Coach C.
04-24-2006, 08:16 AM
I need 150,000 to start up an idea of mind, could the people that blew this cash call me, or just send me a PM cause I will get in touch with you, promise it will be a great meeting. BTW I will even take you over to Vince's apartment.

Sincerely,

Coach C.

Sportsfan
04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
This morning on 610, McClain admitted it was him, Justice, and Lord that pulled together and put that in the Chronic.
I though he was being sarcastic but then he started being serious about it saying that Justice came up w/the name 'Holly F', a moniker for 'Hall of Fame'. Who know though, i never know w/that guy anymore. :hmmm:

DRAMA
04-24-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm very excited and very pumped for the draft but some of you guys just bring me down when I see the posts demeaning people who are not all on the same page (not talking to you directly here) due to pack mentality....... No amount of rationalizations will change it unless they play some more games so I can change my opinion based on actual football played on a football field.

I agree...and I'm a Republican!!! :redtowel:

Double Barrel
04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Only in Houston, only in Houston.... :hmmm:

Someone's working hard to sway opinion(s) about drafting Young. First this full page ad, then the story breaking about Bush's family and all that jazz...

m'eh, I can see the value in both picks actually. Unfortunately (for the Texans media dept.), we'll either look like a laughing stock in front of the national media (for not picking Bush), or a joke in the local media (for not picking Young).

Vinny
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
m'eh, I can see the value in both picks actually. Unfortunately (for the Texans media dept.), we'll either look like a laughing stock in front of the national media (for not picking Bush), or a joke in the local media (for not picking Young).The Patriots were lambasted for taking Seymour....the Eagles were pounded for taking McNabb...I think you put a bit too much stock in being a laughingstock....you are only a laughingstock if you make a bad pick, and that won't be determined on message boards or by draft grades from the media....its determined on the field.

Double Barrel
04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
The Patriots were lambasted for taking Seymour....the Eagles were pounded for taking McNabb...I think you put a bit too much stock in being a laughingstock....you are only a laughingstock if you make a bad pick, and that won't be determined on message boards or by draft grades from the media....its determined on the field.

Considering we're 18-46 in four seasons and have already fired our head coach, I think we're already on the short list for laughing stock. You're right, winning changes everything. Unfortunately, we haven't experienced much of that around here.

I could honestly care less what anyone in the media thinks of our team, but the media does influence what other players/coaches think of us. It's a perspective thing. If our front office looks like they are clueless, which evidence seems to abound the past few years, it makes it that much more expensive to get quality players to come here, IMO.

The national media - for what it's worth - considers Bush a lock pick. I don't put much stock in the media, but the word I'm hearing for the past couple of weeks as I listen to the run up to the draft is that the Texans would be "fools" if they didn't choose Bush.

The local media, for their own reason(s), look at it from the complete opposite perspective.

Personally, I hope the media has absolutely no influence on the process. I'd be completely happy with other players outside of the Bush/Young race.

Vinny
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
The national media - for what it's worth - considers Bush a lock pick. you mean the same media that thought Aaron Rogers was the second overall pick last year?

chuckm
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Considering we're 18-46 in four seasons and have already fired our head coach, I think we're already on the short list for laughing stock. You're right, winning changes everything. Unfortunately, we haven't experienced much of that around here.

I could honestly care less what anyone in the media thinks of our team, but the media does influence what other players/coaches think of us. It's a perspective thing. If our front office looks like they are clueless, which evidence seems to abound the past few years, it makes it that much more expensive to get quality players to come here, IMO.

The national media - for what it's worth - considers Bush a lock pick. I don't put much stock in the media, but the word I'm hearing for the past couple of weeks as I listen to the run up to the draft is that the Texans would be "fools" if they didn't choose Bush.

The local media, for their own reason(s), look at it from the complete opposite perspective.

Personally, I hope the media has absolutely no influence on the process. I'd be completely happy with other players outside of the Bush/Young race.

I think you're right on in your assessment of the media ..... oh sure we can scan back through history and find many examples of where they were wrong and they'll certainly be wrong again. But nationally Bush is the overwhelming choice for the first pick. In Southeast Texas, Young is the popular choice ...

Hapkido
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM

Hey, I need something to wrap some fish and chips in. Let's see... Mmmm...

Well, lookie here. Thank you God... :penguin:

Double Barrel
04-24-2006, 02:01 PM
you mean the same media that thought Aaron Rogers was the second overall pick last year?

I don't recall the national media being almost unanimous in agreement about Rogers, though (maybe a majority, but not the herd mentality we see today with Bush). But, he didn't come with the Heisman and national championship hype, either.

But yeah, that same media.

Like I said earlier, "Unfortunately (for the Texans media dept.)," :ok:

Most of us Texans fans could care less about media perception at the end of the day. We'd end up hanging ourselves by now if we cared about it.

infantrycak
04-24-2006, 02:28 PM
you mean the same media that thought Aaron Rogers was the second overall pick last year?

What I recall was a discussion that whichever QB San Fran did not take was likely to tumble and then as the draft approached it became the opinion of most that Smith would go to San Fran so Rogers would be the one to fall. But no they are not infallible.

jerek
04-24-2006, 02:33 PM

Amen to that. I will be there, I hope all of my fellow Texans fans will too. I am hoping for Bush or Mario but refuse to disavow the possibility of a last minute tradedown. After previous trade fiascos we have managed to orchestrate, nothing is unimaginable.

jerek
04-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Lol, I just read the articles. My favorite is "you need to listen to many people to be able to make really good decisions."

I am sure McNair laughed all the way to the bank about that, reminiscing as he surely must have at all of the "many people" he never listened to on his way to becoming a multi-multi millionaire. After all, if you want what "many other people" have, then you should listen to many other people in the process. In this case, I think it is safe to say Holly F doesn't own, manage, or in any way direct a successful pro football team.

I wonder how many barely literate posts Mr. McNair will be receiving from some of the VY fans on this board (and no, for God's sake, that doesn't mean that all or even most VY fans on this board are illiterate, or that Reggie Bush fans all speak prefekt english, get off it.)

Pro football exists for its fanbase, but thank God people like "Holly F" won't be calling the shots on this one.

Rightnow
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I about fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. I'm going to say that "Holly F" doesn't exist. This is probably something the chronicle printed themselves. If you've noticed, every chronicle writer is extremely pro-Vince. I have a theory about this. If Vince comes to Houston, the "journalists" practically have all their stories written for them. They also sell more papers because all the t-sips want to read about Vince. If anthing else happens with the pick, the writers actually have to work to write their stories, and the chronicle doesn't sell as many papers. The chronicle has an extremely vested interest in getting Vince Young in a Texans uniform. I understand this, but wish they could be a little more discrete about it.

If someone actually did write this, get over it. The world will go on without Vince Young in Houston, Texas. And the football team will be better for it.

You hit the nail on the head! John McClain wants the scoop. Since Vince is from here it will be a snap to write. Just think, a running VY column, full page VY pictorials once a season, love letters to VY, etc. The sports section during football will be dominated by Young info. If we do take Young he will always have a friend in the local press. He could fumble the ball four times and throw six picks in a single game and the local journalists will blame everyone but him.

I wouldn't be too surprised if coverage of Carr turns much more negative this season out of spite. If VY is a success elsewhere I'm sure that we will be able to read about it in the Chronicle. I'd be okay with the Chronicle loving VY so much if it was all about his on the field play, but it isn't.

travfrancis
04-24-2006, 10:45 PM
In this case, I think it is safe to say Holly F doesn't own, manage, or in any way direct a successful pro football team.

Neither does McNair. :embarrass

Bull Pen 1
04-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Talking about ground O, I'll be going see it Friday in New York City.

kbourda
04-25-2006, 09:30 AM
He could fumble the ball four times and throw six picks in a single game and the local journalists will blame everyone but him.

Yeah, kinda like the way Carr is treated now. Right?

BattleRedGuy
04-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, kinda like the way Carr is treated now. Right?

???????
Carr was given a free pass until the collapse of last year. I don't see that he got a free ride from anybody last year nor will he this year.

OzzO
04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
So apprently, Holly F. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3820173.html) is a real person. Mattress Mac and him seem to be on the same.. umm page.... yeah.

....One man, season ticket-holder Holly Frost, spent thousands of dollars for a full-page ad in last Sunday's Chronicle to beseech the Texans to select Young with the top pick in Saturday's NFL draft. He admonished them for "not taking calculated risks to get much better" and for taking "the easy way out" with Southern California running back Reggie Bush, whom conventional wisdom considers the best offensive prospect in this year's draft.

"I've been looking at players coming out (of college) for 20 years trying to decide which ones are going to make it," said Frost, 61, who founded Texas Memory Systems, a company specializing in computer memory storage, 27 years ago. "As near as I can tell, Vince Young looks like the best player with the biggest potential I've ever seen. From my humble point of view, it's a no-brainer....

FILO_girl
04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Not much to add to the 6 existing pages, except....

Saturday is gonna be a great people watching day.
I have a chair, cool drink and piqued interest ready to go.
C'mon Saturday!! (this will not be for the faint of heart)
:redtowel:

Wolf
04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
im McIngvale, owner of Gallery Furniture and one of the Texans' most prominent corporate sponsors, hasn't written in, but he's not a bit bashful about sharing his thoughts. A former Longhorn who was at the Rose Bowl for the BCS championship game, McIngvale said he doesn't know Frost but noted they're kindred spirits. McIngvale is in the process of buying a two-page ad to run in Thursday's Chronicle.

hmm with the rumor of bush being signed, I wonder if he will change his mind or just throw his money away

aj.
04-27-2006, 06:29 AM
hmm with the rumor of bush being signed, I wonder if he will change his mind or just throw his money away
It's in there today. Full page color photo of Vince on page C2 running to glory with the words "Please Pick Vince" across the top. On the facing page is another full pager titled "Perfect 10" with a bunch of fan letters reprinted from the Feb '06 edition of Texas Monthly.

OzzO
04-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Not sure if it's fan letters on the other side, glanced at them and it looked like letters back and forth among two guys.... but it was pretty small type and I'm sure whatever they noted in that is the same thing already said numerous times on the MB.

Interesting Mac spent the money for a full page color ad on page 2 even... that had to be some jack. Guess the Gallery sales folk will be extra busy working the next few days to pay off that.

TEXANRED
04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
It's in there today. Full page color photo of Vince on page C2 running to glory with the words "Please Pick Vince" across the top. On the facing page is another full pager titled "Perfect 10" with a bunch of fan letters reprinted from the Feb '06 edition of Texas Monthly.
Great. Now I know why I pay 30% interest on my sofa.

Now I am all about letting people throw away there money and express there opinion. Fine, Jimmy wants young. Good for him. Threaten to pull your sponcership cus you are trying to strongarm the orginization, or pull your sponcership cus you are acting like a whiny little who-haw, I will shop somewhere else and overpay for a foot stool.

Whether you are a fan of Young's or not we are still Texan fans and nobody, and I do mean nobody, Messes with Texans.

jerek
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Now I am all about letting people throw away there money and express there opinion. Fine, Jimmy wants young. Good for him. Threaten to pull your sponcership cus you are trying to strongarm the orginization, or pull your sponcership cus you are acting like a whiny little who-haw, I will shop somewhere else and overpay for a foot stool.

Whether you are a fan of Young's or not we are still Texan fans and nobody, and I do mean nobody, Messes with Texans.

Well said. I'm not going to be shopping Gallery any time soon. I don't want to have any part in paying for this foolishness.

Porky
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM

You won't be overpaying elsewhere. Gallery Furniture being cheaper than the competition in like merchandise is a myth. It's under the "say something enough times, and everyone will eventually believe it" catagory. Mack is akin to Barnum, who once said there is a sucker born every minute. Even funnier was his "solid wood" phase. Anyone who works in the furniture industry will tell you that in general solid wood furniture is not as good a quality as a good veneer, but it just sounds good and he capitalized on it. I mean SOLID wood HAS to be better right? WRONG. 1000% wrong. Look at a solid wood and high quality veneer dining room table 20 yrs after purchase, and tell me if solid wood is still better. I'm glad that people are finally seeing this guy for what he is, instead of the hero worship I constantly see.

gwallaia
04-27-2006, 12:37 PM
And another thing about soild wood furniture. Ever try to carry a solid wood piece of furniture up a flight of stairs?