PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to get some opinions on this...(Is Casserly out the door?)

Caddo1361
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
This is what I read on Insider a minute ago....

Houston Texans

Charley Casserly: Senior vice president and general manager, football operations
Gary Kubiak: Head coach
Dan Reeves: Consultant
The Texans' front office is obviously in a state of flux. Recent behind-the-scenes reports have surfaced that senior vice president and general manager of football operations Charley Casserly may be on his way out the door after the draft. With that in mind, it remains to be seen how much say he will have on draft day. What is interesting is the emergence of consultant Dan Reeves and how his role has conflicted with Casserly's. Reeves is trusted by owner Bob McNair and has the ear of Houston's ownership.

Although it was perceived that new head coach Gary Kubiak had the full backing of Casserly, that is not the case. Kubiak was actually a McNair and Reeves favorite, fueling speculation that Reeves will take over as the full-time GM after the draft. The Texans have a veteran scouting staff, but because they all have ties to Casserly, they will likely just be reduced to information gatherers. Kubiak, along with Reeves, will play the biggest role in trying to build this franchise up.

Thoughts anyone...

Mr. White
04-21-2006, 04:06 PM
What's the date on your quote? I keep hearing Dan Reeves is gone now. He'll be doing analysis for the NFL Network at the draft.

El Tejano
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I just hope Casserly doesn't give us a good bye screw.

Caddo1361
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
At the top of the article it says:

Updated: April 18, 2006
Who's calling the shots?

Maybe they are late on their information but that is the date at the top...

Mr. White
04-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Weird. I think it'd probably be a conflict of interest for him to be working the draft if he's under contract with the Texans.

link (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9381791)

The coverage will boast an array of NFL experts including former head coaches Dan Reeves and Butch Davis, current players Corey Chavous and Muhsin Muhammad as well as NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock.

Sportsfan
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Hasn't McNair emphatically stated that 'Reeves will not be the Texans GM' in every interview where he's been asked that ?

jmerog
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I just hope Casserly doesn't give us a good bye screw.
I seriously doubt Kubiak or Mcnair would let Casserly make any picks on his own. Especially given the fact He's likely out the door after the draft. He'll get the people they tell him to get.

jmerog
04-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Hasn't McNair emphatically stated that 'Reeves will not be the Texans GM' in every interview where he's been asked that ?
yes, I dont have a quote but i remember reading the same thing.

jmerog
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Reguardless of whatever else happens, i am pleased with the way mcnair has done the things nesesary to get the people in place to give the texans the best chance to succeed. I'm liking the shakups.I am impressed with Kubiak so far, he's being very proactive.

4Texans
04-21-2006, 05:34 PM

I can't recall where I read it, but I thought Reeves was back in Atlanta and was no longer under contract with the Texans as a consultant. That's not to say he will not come back in some capacity.

4Texans
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
I seriously doubt Kubiak or Mcnair would let Casserly make any picks on his own. Especially given the fact He's likely out the door after the draft. He'll get the people they tell him to get.

I believe from the very beginning of the franchise, that all the draft picks and free agents have been done by committee. Casserly wasn't that strong in making picks by himself and not over-ruling some of the players that the previous coaching staff wanted. If Casserly was that kind of GM who ruled with an iron fist and the buck stopped with him, Kubiak never would have even interviewed for the job. Shanahan had always warned Kubes about not going to an organization that he would not have some kind of control over personnel as a coach.

Cass very well could have the perfect exit after the draft is over, and go back to the league office. I don't see him staying on, unless he's content with working through the last year of his contract doing whatever McNair and Kubiak tell him to do.

jmerog
04-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I believe from the very beginning of the franchise, that all the draft picks and free agents have been done by committee. Casserly wasn't that strong in making picks by himself and not over-ruling some of the players that the previous coaching staff wanted. If Casserly was that kind of GM who ruled with an iron fist and the buck stopped with him, Kubiak never would have even interviewed for the job. Shanahan had always warned Kubes about not going to an organization that he would not have some kind of control over personnel as a coach.

Cass very well could have the perfect exit after the draft is over, and go back to the league office. I don't see him staying on, unless he's content with working through the last year of his contract doing whatever McNair and Kubiak tell him to do.
Agreed.

michaelm
04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
One thing I saw today peaked my interest.
Evidently Floyd Reese is in the last year of his contract as GM of the Titans. I know that they have been in cap hell recently, but he's still a pretty good GM IMO.
I wonder if we could temporarily promote an assistant and take a shot at Reese after his contract is up. At least he is familiar with the area. Plus, he knows that his ownership is 100% a@@clown and ours is pretty good.

Double Barrel
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
IIRC, Reeves hasn't been a consultant for the Texans in months. I suppose this doesn't mean that he should be ruled out as a potential GM...except for his denial that he has no desire to be a GM for any team at this point in his career.

The part I find really interesting is "Although it was perceived that new head coach Gary Kubiak had the full backing of Casserly, that is not the case."

That seems like writing on the wall, IMO. Although it would seem strange to me to keep Casserly through the draft, as opposed to just cleaning house back in January and installing a new FO from the top on down.

Caddo1361
04-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I too thought that Kubiak not having the full support of Casserly was saying that Casserly is on his way out.

No real complaints on that taking place....

Jwwillis
04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
gone after the draft

rafterticket
04-24-2006, 12:55 PM
gone after the draft

...and I will help him pack his bags.

Texizgreat
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Texans | Casserly reportedly to re-sign; NFL position not a lock
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:13:35 -0700

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Charley Casserly reportedly will resign as general manager of the Houston Texans, after the NFL Draft. However, an influential league source said Monday, April 24, there is no guarantee that Casserly will be offered the job as the NFL's director of football operations.

that should sum it up

dhaNim
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
per kffl:

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Charley Casserly reportedly will resign as general manager of the Houston Texans, after the NFL Draft. However, an influential league source said Monday, April 24, there is no guarantee that Casserly will be offered the job as the NFL's director of football operations.

Double Barrel
04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
If/when we lose Casserly, I hope they look at Scott Pioli (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersexecsbio&bio=12539), the VP of player personnel with the Patriots during their Superbowl championships. He's probably going to be a GM soon for an NFL team, and dude has an eye for talent. :thumbup

infantrycak
04-25-2006, 12:50 AM
If/when we lose Casserly, I hope they look at Scott Pioli (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersexecsbio&bio=12539), the VP of player personnel with the Patriots during their Superbowl championships. He's probably going to be a GM soon for an NFL team, and dude has an eye for talent. :thumbup

Haven't looked it up to confirm but I think Pioli got a contract extension not too long ago. The Patriots don't have a GM I don't believe--instead they have a bunch of VP's over different areas. That may be the direction McNair heads though. Doesn't Pioli have some family relation to Belichick as well?

feebleminded
04-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Doesn't Pioli have some family relation to Belichick as well?

He is married to Parcells' daughter.

SESupergenius
04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Why Casserly would stay is beyond me when Reeves is looking over his shoulder at every turn. McNair doesn't have absolute confidence in Casserly and thus we have Reeves monitoring him. Casserly is on a short leash and is very much on the hot seat. If they don't have a great draft there is not use in keeping him. They still have yet to draft a good lineman or an inside linebacker.....4 years into it. All the hype of Vince Young and Reggie Bush will still blind them as to what our problem has been. If we don't draft an OL in the 1st 2 rounds then Casserly is useless.

Double Barrel
04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Haven't looked it up to confirm but I think Pioli got a contract extension not too long ago. The Patriots don't have a GM I don't believe--instead they have a bunch of VP's over different areas. That may be the direction McNair heads though. Doesn't Pioli have some family relation to Belichick as well?

He is married to Parcells' daughter.

D'oh! Figures...but money talks...and our boy Bob does have a lot of that around, 'eh? :hmmm:

swtbound07
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Dont be in such a hurry to have casserly leave...if casserly leaves, a good bit of our top-notch scouting department up and goes with him.......definitely not a good thing.

the wonger need food
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Dont be in such a hurry to have casserly leave...if casserly leaves, a good bit of our top-notch scouting department up and goes with him.......definitely not a good thing.

Uh... where's your sarcasm icon thingy? Please tell me that you meant to add a sarcasm icon thingy...

04-25-2006, 11:59 AM

re-sign and resign are two TOTALLY different things.

Cjeremy635
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
re-sign and resign are two TOTALLY different things.

Really....so which one is it? I read that earlier and I never caught that. I am going to assume they were implying re-sign both times....being optomistic here.

Mr. White
04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
From kffl. (http://www.kffl.com)

Texans | Casserly reportedly to resign; NFL position not a lock

When I looked it up, it didn't say "re-sign" anywhere. Maybe they fixed it.

U4ikrob
04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
When I read it it says hes gone after the draft - The "Title" said Re-sign, but the actual article said resign as in leaving thus the blurb after saying about the next job hes trying to get.

IMO they do GM by committee this year and maybe offer Mike Sherman or another good GM a contract for next year.

- Ditto on what the "Wonger" said about the scouting dept - Please tell me SWTBound that was sarcasm as the scouting dept and Cass have has made some really really bone-headed and bad drafts/trades.

Our scouting has missed more than hit on a majority of our draft picks or traded them away for under-producing talent. The big problems with this team from the start has been bad coaching and bad draft picks. The first round picks were either home runs or 'unknowns'. D. Robinson and A. Johnson were home runs. Travis Johnson is still "Unknown", and I think it's fair to say Carr is still an "Unknown" since we haven't really given him enough around him to succeed to date.

The 2nd and 3rd round picks have been disasters almost every year. Peek and Pitts are about the best we've done so far. Gaffney was average, but how about Charles Hill - ring any bells? Does anyone even remember this guy? A 3rd round NT that didn't even get out of training camp? How about Bennie [Glass knees] Joppru? Tony "Broken" Hollings? Both second round flops that never even got on the field - Fred Weary - I guess he is on the depth chart still? How about letting go Posey, Foley, Glenn, Sharper etc etc with nothing in return for any of them? And what about Babin? He may turn out to be a better DE than he was LB, but we traded our 2, 3, and 4 for him which was way overpaying for an unproven guy and of course there is the all to in-famous P-burnt trade.

The scouting dept needs to leave with Casserley IMHO - and good riddance to them as they have brought very little to the table to work with going on 5 years.

wrestler4life
04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
You know, if we have a good draft, and they are all casserly picks, will you give the guy his due then? He may have not been responsible for all the crappy deals and picks. We may never really know. But apparently, he has had a job for a while. I would say he knows a hell of a lot more than any of us.

U4ikrob
04-25-2006, 02:49 PM
You know, if we have a good draft, and they are all casserly picks, will you give the guy his due then? He may have not been responsible for all the crappy deals and picks. We may never really know. But apparently, he has had a job for a while. I would say he knows a hell of a lot more than any of us.

I understand your point - But

IMO - Thats a big if - What we do know about Casserley is the choices hes made publicly for the Texans and Skins and the effects its had on the teams. For the record - just because someone is in a job for a long time - doesnt mean they are great at the job. His track record in Washington was not much better than has been here. To me he's shown to be an absentee GM for the most part who has been un-lucky more than a few times in trades and drafts.

wrestler4life
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Good point, but then I would find fault with who hired him.