PDA

View Full Version : What Position do we NEED to fix the most?

throwANDREtheBALL
04-20-2006, 12:03 AM
What are our biggest need or needs?

We've done OK in Free Agency and the Moulds trade filled a need. So where does everyone think we need to put some glue next?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS

Bobo
04-20-2006, 12:13 AM

We've done OK in Free Agency and the Moulds trade filled a need. So where does everyone think we need to put some glue next?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS

Why do you say that Moulds, who has only caught 10 TDs in the last three years, had met a need? Heck, if the OL could have given the WRs the Texans had last year time to complete their routes, Gaffney would have been just fine. In fact, he did a good job in filling in for AJ when he was hurt. As for your question, you should deal with the same problem the Texans have had for the last four years -- and that isn't QB, RB or TE.

throwANDREtheBALL
04-20-2006, 12:35 AM
DOH, it was gonna be a POLL......but I timed out or something.

Anyways, personally, I think we are fine at RB......at least we'd better be after burning multiple first day picks on RBs in previous drafts.

QB - well we don't have a choice since they re-signed CARR.

TE - not a big need, unless Putzier goes down, then its just sad

OT - HELLO......CAN we please have some TALENT UPGRADE HERE

So as far as the offense goes......OT is the biggest need.

FS - we C.C. and Glenn, but, no bonafide FS.....so do we take a Jason Allen in round 2?

DE - Can Babin and Peek convert back to DE? Is Kalu starter quality? Mario Williams would be a huge upgrade.

LB - Greenwood and Orr look like they can be decent in a 4-3 defense...but, after that its just a bunch of (?) marks, has-beens and recently-hurts.

CB - Is Buchanon gonna be Dr.Phil this year and teach the opposition...or is he gonna be more like Oprah again and be WAY to soft ?

Here's how I'd list them in order of biggest need first.
1. OT
2. DE*
3. LB*
4. FS
5. CB
6. TE

* - Linebacker and Defensive End are almost the same, they both have bodies there for depth but no real answers. They both need one good player.

The need of OT goes down if they can put Weigert to RT, but then there is a need for a OG.

Pitts - Hodgdon - Flanagan - ROOKIE - Weigert

They'd better keep Mckinney off the field, or I'm gonna.....well, I won't do anything but complain for another season. As fans that's all we can do.

:stirpot:

Texans Horror
04-20-2006, 06:28 AM
I don't think the Texans are in a spot where they have a major need, but I think the best results would come from drafting a FS/CB. This year, especially, because we will go up against some damn good receivers in the NFC East, like TO. We will play against QBs like McNabb, Payton (twice), Byron Leftwich (twice), and possibly Steve McNair/Matt Leinart/Vince Young. The AFC South has always had strong aerial attacks (except the Texans).

Malloy
04-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Here's how I'd list them in order of biggest need first.
1. OT
2. DE*
3. LB*
4. FS
5. CB
6. TE

I pretty much agree with this, but I would possibly move CB up the list a bit. Not that it's our biggest NEED, but because I think it's a position that will greatly benefit the entire team if upgraded. FS would fit into that kinda logic too.

For me at least (here comes the 30sec analysis) the Offense last year were suffering mostly from horrible coaching (and players giving up), whereas the Defense had some real, serious problems stopping anything. I know I'm simplifying here, but I still think the Defense needs the most fixing.

HomeBred_Texan
04-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Our 1st need is to get a gamebreaker on offense. Hince, here comes Reggie Bush. Now I know you are looking for an argument, and I won't give it to ya. :pigfly: So, get off the Vince Young bandwagon.

Draft offense this year, and find what else needs "fixing", and fix it next year.:stirpot:

Malloy
04-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Our 1st need is to get a gamebreaker on offense.

I'm just worried that if we don't change the Defense from last year, you won't be seeing our new wizz-kid Offensive wonderboy on the field much :/

bkimble
04-20-2006, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=throwANDREtheBALL]What are our biggest need or needs?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS

Our biggest need is a new GM. Afterwards, we need a New QB,OT and RG.
On the defense side we need a LB, SS and DE. The right defense end position is weak as well as our defense backs. However, IMO, our biggest weakest is at QB, we've no leadership on this team.
:superman:

Texans Horror
04-20-2006, 07:36 AM
I pretty much agree with this, but I would possibly move CB up the list a bit. Not that it's our biggest NEED, but because I think it's a position that will greatly benefit the entire team if upgraded. FS would fit into that kinda logic too.

For me at least (here comes the 30sec analysis) the Offense last year were suffering mostly from horrible coaching (and players giving up), whereas the Defense had some real, serious problems stopping anything. I know I'm simplifying here, but I still think the Defense needs the most fixing.

We downgraded the team last year by getting rid of several veterans and not stocking up. It is debatable whether our defensive draft choices from that year (Babin, TJ) are busts or not. I think this year will determine that a lot. However, I am hoping that moving to the 4-3 will vastly affect our defense. In a perfect world, a lot of our players in the front seven perform much better in the 4-3. I am still really nervous about our defensive secondary, though. The only solid player back there is Dunta, IMO.

touttail
04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
I think we really need to shore up our OLine. We need dept, dept, and more dept. Starters seem not to make whole seasons, so decent backups are needed.

Bobby 119C

Runner
04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I think we really need to shore up our OLine. We need dept, dept, and more dept. Starters seem not to make whole seasons, so decent backups are needed.

Bobby 119C

Warning! You have 999 posts - make the next one a good one.

I agree - we need to draft some o-lineman depth that will be ready to start in 2007.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-20-2006, 09:17 AM
JMO but

I do not think they are going to get an offer like they want to trade down. Therefore...

Take Williams with the first pick. With a solid Defensive line that can get to the QB, you automatically make your secondary look better because they do not have to be out on an island chasing WRs with their back to the QB or to the WR.

Second you take an OT with the second pick. This will allow great protection from the outside pass rushers to protect Carr and give him an extra second or two to make better reads than last year.

With the third round pick #1 you work on the secondary CB or S

Third round pick #2 you get a LB or another G for depth and quality on the Oline.

Fourth round pick another CB/S

Fifth round pick WR

Coach C.
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I like your thought Bearfan. And your team really turned it around improving the defense first now working to improve the offense. Like the first pick, but if Winston does not fall to the second round then I look for my CB/FS at 33 mainly in the form of Joseph or possibly Cromartie, even would consider Youbouty. Then continue from there. We dont have a 5th rounder, but we do have a sixth and that is a good place for G depth. Look for some moves in the third with a possible trade down of one of those picks to get a LB, S, or WR.

El Tejano
04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
One of the things that has hurt us with the 0line is not only no depth but the quality of the depth. I think in the 2nd round, that needs to be our first pick. I believe the guy that is available there will be a very good fit. In the 3rd I think we could go defensive on our first pick LB or DB and with our second we can go for a TE. Even though Putzier, Rruener, and Joppru we are still only a groin pull away from being in the same predicament we were in last year where we have to play a guy like Rivers with hands of stone.

Corrosion
04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
I dont get it , Almost everyone has OT at the top of their lists . And the majority of those want a LT to replace Pitts or move him to LG/RT . Pitts did a good job last season after moving back to LT when V.Riley was cut . Shut out Freeeny Twice... which is no small task . He improved in other area's as well .... less false starts and fewer holding penalties . Im completely content to pencil him in at LT for at least the next couple of seasons .

There are more pressing needs in the secondary and at the DE spot than are on the O-line now since the signing of Flanagan which was a two position upgrade (Moved McKinney to his natural guard spot replacing the pathetic Milford Brown ) . And in my opinion the weakest positions on the line last season were on the interior .... not the tackles. If Wade can come back and be productive this season Wiegart can move back to guard and the O-line should look much improved . A mid to late round selection along the line wouldnt be a bad idea tho .

I think the Texans need to look at the CB / FS positions first for the defense as CC.Brown and Glen Earl are both best suited for the SS position . Their skill sets are very similar , good at supporting the run , both are good tacklers but neither is solid enough in coverage to play the FS spot .

As for the CB spot D-Rob is a no-brainer on one side but Faggins is probably not quite good enough to start .... He's a solid Nickle corner tho . Then you have P-Burnt as the first guy off the bench ..... His tackling skills are a joke and I think he try's too often to go for the INT rather than make the solid play . He has all the physical tools you look for in a corner but can he keep his head in the game ? .... Maybe the changes in the defense will help him .... less thinking and more reacting .

After that my biggest concern is at the DE spot where Babin and Peek are expected to play ..... there needs to be a back-up plan here . Im just not sold on the idea that they can get the job done over a full season .

I think a lot of the Texans major needs were filled via FA and that they can afford to take the best available player at just about any draft slot . They arent forced to reach for need as it stands now . :twocents:

Sarg01
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Texans Needs in rough order:

OLB#1, OT#1 , CB#2, MLB, RDE, TE#2, FS, WR#3

Battle Red Flash
04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
My rankings of what Texans need:
OL, DE, CB, FS, WR, P, LB.

I say OL because I like Chester at LT. We need a RG, or RT with the 2nd round pick.
We need a new punter in 7th round. And not that guy from Colorado! Talk about inflated stats.
I put LB late because by moving from 3-4 to 4-3 , if we can't find 3 good LB's on the roster after signing Cowart, we truly suck.
Moulds is stop-gap. We still need another WR for coming years.

Sarg01
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
I dont get it , Almost everyone has OT at the top of their lists . And the majority of those want a LT to replace Pitts or move him to LG/RT . Pitts did a good job last season after moving back to LT when V.Riley was cut . Shut out Freeeny Twice... which is no small task . He improved in other area's as well .... less false starts and fewer holding penalties . Im completely content to pencil him in at LT for at least the next couple of seasons .

I sort of agree with you. However, Pitts is also our most flexible lineman, and one of only two who seems to have any chance to play LT. On the other hand, we have several who could play RT, including Pitts. So given that Pitts is probably capable of performing as well or better at RT or a G spot, it makes some sense to have a preference for the LTs over the RTs.

There are more pressing needs in the secondary and at the DE spot than are on the O-line now since the signing of Flanagan which was a two position upgrade (Moved McKinney to his natural guard spot replacing the pathetic Milford Brown ) . And in my opinion the weakest positions on the line last season were on the interior .... not the tackles.

Agreed.

However, historically we've had no luck finding quality OLine in the draft and have to keep bringing in expensive (and old) FA. For McKinney, Wade, Weigert, the only things bigger than their age numbers are their cap numbers . A quality rookie OL this year may make one of them expendable next year - and the OL talent pool this year is falling in such a way that our picks look like value spots. Our #33 pick could well be the third best OL in the draft.

In the secondary, 3/4ths of our starters are on their rookie contracts, and the other, Buchanan, isn't all that old (or expensive for that matter). Unlike the OL, our picks are falling just AFTER the spots that secondary players are expected to fly off the board, meaning we'll be getting leftovers. Serious analysts are predicting as many as TEN secondary players in the first round. This means our pick at #33 could well be the eleventh best DB in the draft.

Runner
04-20-2006, 10:09 AM

Pitts doing a good job at LT in 2005 isn’t as simple as that for a couple of reasons:

1) He received a great deal of double team help. In the Seattle game (his first at LT) it was painfully obvious. Breuner was frequently lined up on his side to double team and in a few cases Breuner ended up blocking the end by himself. When Rivers replaced Breuner in that role there was an immediate sack. Pitts was embarrassed after that game, he got so much help.

By the time they got to the first Indy games they had cleaned up the double teaming. For every pass play, Milford Brown had responsibility to double team Freeney if Freeney made an inside move. This was an immense help to Pitts, because not only did it stop Freeney on the inside, it allowed Pitts to set up more quickly and more to the outside to take on Freeney’s speed rush. It was a good scheme, and unless you were looking for it, it appeared Pitts was one on one with Freeney to a greater degree than he was.

Various similar schemes were used once Pitts moved to LT. When he played guard these types of schemes weren’t used – I don’t know if that is a comment on Pitts’ capabilities or the o-line schemer.

2) The 2005 offense was pretty easy on the tackles anyway, since they had almost eliminated the 7 step drop and by the end of the year the 5 step drop was near extinction too.

Best quote I’ve heard about Pitts when asked “Is Pitts a better guard or tackle?”

“Guard – if he wants to be”.

Pitts got his big contract last year – he needs to concentrate on what is good for the team as well as what is good for him now.

El Tejano
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
My rankings of what Texans need:
OL, DE, CB, FS, WR, P, LB.

I say OL because I like Chester at LT. We need a RG, or RT with the 2nd round pick.

I agree with this. I would like Max Jean-Giles from Ga. and if not him then I can live with Eric Winston from Miami.

U4ikrob
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
QB's, DE's, TE's and RB's in their needs list?? Didnt we address most of those places allready putting veterans in several of those positions for this upcoming year??

My need Picks for the team

#1 - CB - Not having a Solid #2 CB has killed our secondaries effectiveness
#2 - OL - We need depth at all positions on the line and a premier Tackle to work as our other bookend or talented Guard to solidify the line
#3 - MLB - We got a veteran to hold the fort for a year or 2 but need a real playmaker
#4 - FS - Coleman was a patch and now we need help at the Safety position as we are dangerously thin
#5 - DL - Our Dline is aging at an incredible rate and in 2 years we will need to replace our starting interior lineman and maybe a DE. TJ may take one spot, but We will need some serious new depth and sooner than we think if injuries start happening.

El Amigo Invisible
04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I think we need a couple of Defensive secondary picks. I thought they would get a couple of offensive tackles in free agency.

YoungTexanFan
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Top needs in the correct order:

OT
OG
FS
MLB
DE

Reasoning Section

OT - Pitts is not the answer here. Wand could be, but I have serious doubts. This has been our weakpoint for 4 years.
OG - The OG's we have are aging and injury prone. They also aren't very good.
FS - We have NO F/S on our roster with exception to Lord. CC and Earl are BOTH SS!
MLB - Wong is hurt and I question is Cowart is the answer.
DE - A full time stud DE is needed.

Solution Section

OT - We have many options here, D'brick in the first; Colledge in the third; Wand at LT
OG - Chris Chester in the 4th; Chris Kuper in the 6th; McKinny plays LG like a man
FS - Ko Simpson; Donte Whitner; Daniel Bullocks; Jimmy Williams at #33
MLB - Hodge; Schelegal; Leon Williams; Tearance Neade; Brooks in the Supp. Draft
DE - Mario Williams in the first; Kiwi in the second; Peek/Babin step up and play.

the wonger need food
04-20-2006, 12:13 PM
1.) QB
2.) Entire secondary excluding DRob
3.) Both Offensive Tackles
4.) All 3 Linebacker spots
5.) Kicker (Kris Brown will be horrible this year)
6.) Tuba player (Pep Band)
7.) Punter

Goatcheese
04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
We need starters at:
LT, FS, OLB

We could upgrade:
CB #2, SS, I/OLB, RG, RT, RE

We need young Depth at:
OC, RG, RT, ILB, DT, WR, LE

I would like to see a trade down somewhere in the top 10, targeting(in order) D'Brick, Hawk, Huff, Justice. With the extra picks I would target E. Winston, J.Joseph, and A.Cromartie in the second; J.Scott, K.Simpson, S.Havner in the 3rd.

Ideally we would get Hawk, Winston, Joseph, Simpson, Havner. 2 guys who can play I/OLB, a LT, a #2CB, and a FS. If this happened, I think they could all start and our defense would be in good shape going into this season. Target a few needs on day 2, like Aarron Harris for ILB depth, Jason Hatcher at LDE or any O-linemen Kubiak and Sherman like; we should be in good shape.

Pre-Season Depth Chart:
O-line: Winston-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Wiegert

RE-- Babin/Peek/Anderson
DT-- Smith/Malone
DT-- Johnson/Payne/Deloach
LE-- Weaver/Kalu/
WLB Hawk/Greenwood/Pettway
MLB Cowart/Rainer/Polk/Chamberlain
SLB Havner/Orr/Evans
FS-- Simpson/Simmons/Lord
SS-- Earl/Brown/Stone/Walker
LCB- Robinson/Sanders/McKenzie
RCB- Joseph/Buchanon/Faggins

That looks like a formidable unit to me. The rookies will make mistakes in the early games but should develope into reliable starters by mid season. Importing DBs from the other USC can only lead to good things. Could Hawk-Harris-Havner be the future of the Texans linebacking corps? Triple-H? :cool:

Yes, the draft was heavy on the D. With a new scheme our offense should improve without many additions. As long as they protect Carr we should be ready to explode.:challenge

PokerStar
04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
wow Goatchees you went into a lot of thought on that and would like to see it expanded in the Draft Forum to open discussion. I like some of your thought and JJ and Winston are immediate starters. One thing is passing on Bush or Mario in favor of Hawk(solid pick) just seems not overly smart. Also Ko Simpson does not impress me much, but has the ability to be very good if he matures and takes the time to learn his position. Aaron Harris may not even be drafted and Jason Hatcher is on the same level. Both guys we could do better with our 3 second day picks. What about a trade in the 4th for more picks if the players warrant it. Could you imagine a 4th were we pick up Leon Williams and Chris Chester or something similar maybe Terna Nande who is a monster, but really undersized (reminds me of London Fletcher)

Dont really like your line at all, with your scenario I would look at Pitts, McKinney, Flannigan, Weigert, Winston. That is likely a much more solid line, I personally do not buy into this Wand is a player stuff. Also, the LBs are ok, but what happen to Wong, or are you assuming he will not be ready till opening day. Move McKenzie past Sanders and Faggins and move Sanders to FS and we have a start for some pre-season action.

I do agree that DBs from USCar can only lead to good things, dont agree with the LBs of the future, and I do think we should go heavy on D. Kubiak and protection and scheme with Carr will make the offense explosive, Defense needs work.

Texans Horror
04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Wong will be out at least part of the season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=20963&highlight=wong

Koolbrz
04-20-2006, 01:10 PM

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS

I say we upgrade the rb position. Tired of not having a back that can play a whole season. DD is a good back but seems to go down at the end of the season when a playoff birth could be on the line. Don't want to have to depend on a back up in that situation. I know, Bush is not a big back and could just as easily get hurt. I look at the fact that he is elusive and really fast as an advantage. He will not take as many big hits as DD, meaning he will most likely make it to the end of the season. Besides he is a GAMEBREAKER!!! We can get a nice DE with the second pick and draft a FS/CB with the third. JMO.

Goatcheese
04-20-2006, 04:22 PM
wow Goatchees you went into a lot of thought on that and would like to see it expanded in the Draft Forum to open discussion.

I'll try and make a post in the draft section later.

I like some of your thought and JJ and Winston are immediate starters. One thing is passing on Bush or Mario in favor of Hawk(solid pick) just seems not overly smart. Also Ko Simpson does not impress me much, but has the ability to be very good if he matures and takes the time to learn his position.

I would trade down for Hawk over Williams because our D-line is in much better shape than our linebackers. Greenwood was terrible and Orr didn't impress me, except as a speed rusher. On the flip side, Babin or Peek could have a breakout year. I don't want to see them riding th bench before we know what we have. If Simpson falls to the 3rd round then I would love to have him, but wouldn't take him with our high 2nd. Also I don't like that Mario Williams has a questionable motor, Courtney Brown anyone?

Aaron Harris may not even be drafted and Jason Hatcher is on the same level. Both guys we could do better with our 3 second day picks.

I think Harris or Hatcher are good value in the 6th or 7th. I admit to being a bit of a Harris :homer: though. :) He is undersized but plays with alot of heart, is quick and was an emotional leader on defense; something we lacked in the front 7.

What about a trade in the 4th for more picks if the players warrant it. Could you imagine a 4th were we pick up Leon Williams and Chris Chester or something similar maybe Terna Nande who is a monster, but really undersized (reminds me of London Fletcher)

I think someone will gamble on Chesters athletic ability in the 3rd, same with Nande.

Dont really like your line at all, with your scenario I would look at Pitts, McKinney, Flannigan, Weigert, Winston. That is likely a much more solid line, I personally do not buy into this Wand is a player stuff.

Pitts is best suited to LG and every season he spends at tackle just slows his adjustment. He didn't look that great this year, despite getting alot of help from the TE and LG and I think Winston can step in and be an immediate upgrade.

Also, the LBs are ok, but what happen to Wong, or are you assuming he will not be ready till opening day. Move McKenzie past Sanders and Faggins and move Sanders to FS and we have a start for some pre-season action.

I really like Havner. His combination of Size and quickness are among the best in the draft. 6'3, 245, 4.55 40, 6.82 cone. Most other guys with his althleticism are 20 pounds lighter and 3 inches shorter. Unless Thomas Howard were to somehow fall to us, I like Havner(Who is more polished than Howard). As for Wong, my Depth chart is for the Pre-season, and he is expected to miss 8 weeks or more. By the time he got back I think the rookies would be entrenched. I could see him fighting for the Mike with Cowart. I have Sanders over McKenzie because of experience; It could change in camp. I thought Sanders looked good enough to stay as our 4th/5th corner.

I do agree that DBs from USCar can only lead to good things, [...] and I do think we should go heavy on D. Kubiak and protection and scheme with Carr will make the offense explosive, Defense needs work.

:redtowel:

Erratic Assassin
04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
We need someone with potential to be a pro-bowl caliber LT on offense and a pass-rushing DE that can command double-teams.

TEXANFAN23435
04-20-2006, 10:36 PM
You know, it's fairly simple. Create a monster rush that commands respect and out of clear blue sky our current stock of DB's will look like the "A" List of NFL DB's. When QB's don't have time to think, then it's amazing how they all can start looking like Carr.

tsip
04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Our 1st need is to get a gamebreaker on offense. Hince, here comes Reggie Bush. Now I know you are looking for an argument, and I won't give it to ya. :pigfly: So, get off the Vince Young bandwagon.

Draft offense this year, and find what else needs "fixing", and fix it next year.:stirpot:

You know, I have seen very few Young posts since the Bush crowd 'lighted' up the board with their push---so I'm not sure why all the references to a "Vince Young Bandwagon." I think most people get it...

Texas
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
How can you complain about linebackers? We have Wong who can start, Cowart who will start, Greenwood who can start and Orr who has earned his way up to start...I think peek and babin will be fine for a DE side but I'd love mario williams...However OL we need to upgrade...I'd also like to see a really good safety added to our team and maybe a CB to compete with P-Buc...TE? How is that a need we just got J Putzier...

Runner
04-21-2006, 12:27 AM
In general, how we fix these positions is the more interesting question, don't you think?

phan1
04-21-2006, 02:01 AM
I really think our Oline is average on paper. It's not a glaring weakness IMO. If Wand is able to come back and make an impact for us, than that would really solidify our Oline. But I still think Oline is a weakness mostly based on depth. If Wand or Pitts gets injured, than our Oline really gets downgraded significantly. Fortunately Wand or Pitts can play the LT position without becoming a Liability.

But our weaknesses have to be clearly on the defensive side. I mean, I have no idea what the heck is going on over there! Who's going to be our DE opposite Weaver? Who's going to play linebacker? The only LB I like on our roster is Wong, and he might never be the same player that once was. And we have no idea what's going on with Babin and Peek. And to put it simply, our secondary looks terrible! I'm not buying the hype around CC Brown or Earl either. They didn't look that great to me when teams were running us into the ground last year.

I have a lot of faith that our offense can finally start winning some games for us, but our defense looks to be in total disarray. The fact that we are even considering Mario over Bush kind of tells me that our coaches don't have that much faith in our personnel right now. I just hope our D-Coordinator can pull through for us, cause there was a lot more talent at Miami on the D-side than over here.

Goatcheese
04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
How can you complain about linebackers? We have Wong who can start, Cowart who will start, Greenwood who can start and Orr who has earned his way up to start...I think peek and babin will be fine for a DE side but I'd love mario williams...However OL we need to upgrade...I'd also like to see a really good safety added to our team and maybe a CB to compete with P-Buc...TE? How is that a need we just got J Putzier...

How can we complain about our linebackers? Wong is out for atleast half the season and may be hobbled even after he returns. Alot of guys never fully recover from an injury like that. Cowart is solid as a starter for a year or two, but is old and needs young depth developed behind him. "Greenwood who can start"? The same Greenwood who failed to make a tackle HALF the time?!? I can understand P-Buch wiffing on 50% of his tackles, but our highest paid linebacker? That's not starting material. Orr looked good as a speed rusher, and thats about it. He seemed to get pushed around alot and wasn't much of a force against the run.

I agree with you that our O-line needs some work and our safetys need an overhawl. This offenses success is contingent apon protecting Carr first and foremost. If he he has time we will see a huge leap in performance. Andif we switch to a cover-2 scheme it could get ugly without good coverage safetys.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-21-2006, 09:11 AM
You know, it's fairly simple. Create a monster rush that commands respect and out of clear blue sky our current stock of DB's will look like the "A" List of NFL DB's. When QB's don't have time to think, then it's amazing how they all can start looking like Carr.

I 100% agree!!!

The defenses played now by NFL teams is a Cover 2 which means there is not a need for a "shut down corner" as they really do not exist like in the past. The most important part of the defense in the DLine. It is obvious that the Dline could not stop the run last season, partially because of the scheme 3-4 defense, and some talent.

If we add Williams to the line along with the FA pickup and all the DT on the roster, the Dline should be able to fill the gaps, draw double teams from the offense and allow the LB and S to have clear blitz's on the QB.

If everyone stops for a minute and think of what happened to our offense when defenses did not have to cover the WR/TE/RBs for more than 1.5 to 2 seconds, that is when a QB makes mistakes and tries to force something.

That is when you get interceptions and TDs!!!

JohnGalt
04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
I 100% agree!!!

The defenses played now by NFL teams is a Cover 2 which means there is not a need for a "shut down corner" as they really do not exist like in the past. The most important part of the defense in the DLine. It is obvious that the Dline could not stop the run last season, partially because of the scheme 3-4 defense, and some talent.

If we add Williams to the line along with the FA pickup and all the DT on the roster, the Dline should be able to fill the gaps, draw double teams from the offense and allow the LB and S to have clear blitz's on the QB.

If everyone stops for a minute and think of what happened to our offense when defenses did not have to cover the WR/TE/RBs for more than 1.5 to 2 seconds, that is when a QB makes mistakes and tries to force something.

That is when you get interceptions and TDs!!!

Just a point of clarification, everyone has cover 2 in their playbook and has for many years.

The "Tampa 2" defense that became fashionable in the early 00's, emphasizes smallish and quick players setting up in a 4-3 with 2 deep coverage. They don't blitz very often. This is a very conservative defense. Tampa had excellent DL's, so they didn't need the blitz. This allowed seven players in coverage to converge on the ball with no gaps where the blitzer is supposed to be. The basic concept is to make the offense march three yards at a time down the field without making a mistake.

I think Indy, Tampa, and Chicago are the only teams using the Tampa 2 defense exclusively today.

Texans Horror
04-21-2006, 01:09 PM
During Free Agency, the Texans patched holes in the defensive and offensive lines and in the offensive secondary. They will most likely fix backfield problems with the first pick of the draft. To me, then, the one area that has truly not been addressed is the defensive secondary, and this is a place where a second rounder could really help, either as competition to the likes of Buchanon, or starting perhaps.

Ko Simpson or Daniel Bullocks would be good Safeties that may be around at the #33 spot. Simpson lacks experience, but either could help. For Cornerbacks, we might be able to get Marshall or Griffin. Not sure if they would be worth the #33 pick yet, but they are possibilities.

IMO, it will come down to BPA at #33, looking at defensive secondary first and o-line second.

Scooter
04-21-2006, 03:48 PM

hi matt millen, didnt know you were a texans fan. the lions have been "we can fix it next year" for the last 20 years, lets try emulating a team that's actually had success in this league. steelers - offensive line & linebackers. patriots - defensive line & db's. ravens - linebackers & db's.

where are the gamebreakers? an undrafted 3rd year guy (parker). antwan smith & kevin faulk, feel free to laugh. jamal lewis ... a bust who had 1 good year. big ben, a rookie qb won 15 games ... leads me to believe they would've gone to the sb even with tony banks. a 6th round qb (brady). TRENT DILFER lol. of those teams mentioned, i dont think there was a single first round wr among them.

i'll even help you out, the team i'm leaving out is the rams. a team full of offensive skill guys who havent won anything without the top 10 defense they had (7th overall in 99, 3rd overall in 01).

or we can repeat our last 4 years ... fix it next year, when we've got yet another top 10 pick. thank goodness our coach doesnt think that way and has been kicking butt during FA to fix it now. but i have no doubt your madden fantasy draft is best in the league.....

Scooter
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
ok, now that that's out of my system lol.

our biggest needs right now IMO are OG or OT depending on where pitt & wand end up ... FS, MLB, and CB.

i think we're going to be fine on the defensive line with weaver, smith, payne, & babin ... but we're lacking depth

linebackers are stable for now, but have zero depth and no real MLB.

db's are weak. one of our current cb's might step up, but they might not. we need someone opposite of robinson, and someone to take a starting safety position

we have rb, wr, & qb covered.

we got the TE that we needed, but we'll see several two TE formations and need an upgrade over bruener

the line is still weak, but flanagan made a big difference. it really depends on where wand & pitts end up as to where our holes are. if wand takes LT & pitts to RT, we're going to want another guard for the aging weigert & mckinney. if wand & pitts end up on the left side, we're desperate for a RT.

tsip
04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
ok, now that that's out of my system lol.

our biggest needs right now IMO are OG or OT depending on where pitt & wand end up ... FS, MLB, and CB.

i think we're going to be fine on the defensive line with weaver, smith, payne, & babin ... but we're lacking depth

linebackers are stable for now, but have zero depth and no real MLB.

db's are weak. one of our current cb's might step up, but they might not. we need someone opposite of robinson, and someone to take a starting safety position

we have rb, wr, & qb covered.

we got the TE that we needed, but we'll see several two TE formations and need an upgrade over bruener

the line is still weak, but flanagan made a big difference. it really depends on where wand & pitts end up as to where our holes are. if wand takes LT & pitts to RT, we're going to want another guard for the aging weigert & mckinney. if wand & pitts end up on the left side, we're desperate for a RT.

...nice post, Scooter! You and Bckey don't post enough IMO:)

outofhnd
04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I would say our biggest need is FS. Our corners were exploited because we didnt have any safety help. On running plays our tackling looked attrocius we need a ball hawking FS.

My opinion. Draft a CB and move Buchanon to FS.

Before you tell me why this would never work let me tell you why it would.

1. Pbuch goes for the ball Bad for man coverage corners unless you are deion who basically gets maybe 2 balls thrown his direction. Now as a FS that would be excellenet support for the corner who is playing the man.

2. Pbuch can tackle when he wants to as a FS I think he will not get as frustrated as he did playing CB. I think the fact he was getting burned repeatedly really just took its toll. being able to play centerfield or the ball in support of our corners will Keep Pbuchs happiness up.

3. despite his poor showing Pbuch is a playmaker. When he gets the ball in his hands he goes the other way with it pretty fast and has taken it in a few times.

4. Yes he is a lil undersized but his athleticism makes up for it. Look at his one shining moment play in the browns game. to me that looked like a safety play more than a CB play. As a CB the rec got by him into the open field but as a safety he playe the angles and managed to deflect the pass.

Other than that I think we are lacking at LE on defense most.

Jwwillis
04-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I think we need a couple of Defensive secondary picks. I thought they would get a couple of offensive tackles in free agency.

CB
LT

So looks like i agree

Goatcheese
04-21-2006, 08:27 PM
I would say our biggest need is FS. Our corners were exploited because we didnt have any safety help. On running plays our tackling looked attrocius we need a ball hawking FS.

My opinion. Draft a CB and move Buchanon to FS.

Before you tell me why this would never work let me tell you why it would.

1. Pbuch goes for the ball Bad for man coverage corners unless you are deion who basically gets maybe 2 balls thrown his direction. Now as a FS that would be excellenet support for the corner who is playing the man.

2. Pbuch can tackle when he wants to as a FS I think he will not get as frustrated as he did playing CB. I think the fact he was getting burned repeatedly really just took its toll. being able to play centerfield or the ball in support of our corners will Keep Pbuchs happiness up.

3. despite his poor showing Pbuch is a playmaker. When he gets the ball in his hands he goes the other way with it pretty fast and has taken it in a few times.

4. Yes he is a lil undersized but his athleticism makes up for it. Look at his one shining moment play in the browns game. to me that looked like a safety play more than a CB play. As a CB the rec got by him into the open field but as a safety he playe the angles and managed to deflect the pass.

Other than that I think we are lacking at LE on defense most.

I agree. P-Buch is a perfect fit at FS. We also need to play Davis at LT, because he has quick feet and thats a must for the position. Carr has great size for a reciever and should make the transition easily. D-Rob is tough and likes to hit so I would move him to DT. Payne has long arms and should be able to make alot of pass break ups as a corner. Then we can draft Vince Young to be a TE. Kubiak can create a quaterbackless revolution where the center hikes the ball 50 yards down field. We would be freaky! Play offs '06. You heard it here first! :redtowel:

On a serious note: Buchanon is a very gifted corner. He is perfectly suited to corner and they will play him at corner because he belongs at corner where his natural cornerback abilitys will allow him to excell as a corner covering things as a corner should. Did I meantion corner?

Corner.

outofhnd
04-21-2006, 08:50 PM
He has natural gifts at corner Nor arguments here, Never said he didnt but his gifts arent his problem his problem is his gambling mentality and poor decision making. how many routes did he try and jump only to get burned when they lured him up and ran by him? how many 10 yard curl routes did he give up because he squatted on the deep route 10 yards off the receiver? His decisions just were not the best. Im not saying he couldnt play corner but I think he is a perfect Free safety. I would love to see him be the CB the raiders thought they were getting when they drafted him but i see the same Phillip Buchanan every year. Sacrificing a lot of plays to make a few exceptional ones. :twocents: