PDA

View Full Version : Broncos - 49'ers swap picks

Vinny
04-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Broncos | Two draft picks acquired from 49ers
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:39:07 -0700

The Denver Broncos have announced the team has acquired a second-round pick (No. 37 overall) and a third-round pick (No. 68) in the 2006 NFL Draft from the San Francisco 49ers. In exchange for the picks, Denver sends San Francisco one of their two first round picks, No. 22 overall.

Mike Kerns
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Looks like Denver won't be trading up afterall.

Reddevil63
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
San Fran should get a good player with the new pick, but I dont know if I like the trade. They need all the help they can get and could still get good players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I guess all they really gave up was a 3rd round pick though.

El Tejano
04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
What if San Fran calls us and says they want to trade the #6 and #22 for our #1?

The way everything has been going, that could land us Vince Young maybe or at worse AJ Hawk.

Mike Kerns
04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
What if San Fran calls us and says they want to trade the #6 and #22 for our #1?

The way everything has been going, that could land us Vince Young maybe or at worse AJ Hawk.

Well, if it were me, I'd hang up the phone. But, as I have said in the past, I am biased.

swtbound07

I pull the trigger.

SnakeOilTanker
It would land us someone other than Vince Young, I would be shocked if we drafted him anywhere(even though I love him)

but anway it would take alot more than just that, 6 might be a little lower than we want to trade down.

Mike Kerns
04-19-2006, 01:11 PM
The more I think about it, I am willing to bet that is what will happen. Trade down with the Niners. That way they can reunite Alex Smith & Reggie Bush. Reggie would probaly be more than happy to stay in California too. I hate it. But it makes sense.

SnakeOilTanker
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
It would put the Texans in position to have to pass on VY at 6, people are going to mad if they pass him up for Reggie Bush, imagine the uproar if the pass him up at 6 for someone like Vernon Davis (which would be a better pick than VY)

LoneStarState
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Ummm... no thanks...

swtbound07
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
The more I think about it, I am willing to bet that is what will happen. Trade down with the Niners. That way they can reunite Alex Smith & Reggie Bush. Reggie would probaly be more than happy to stay in California too. I hate it. But it makes sense.

So here is a thought. Im reminded of the jerome mathis pick. We went to see him, but it was widely reported we were scouting another player, a cornerback named Bartell. We went to the proday of the player we were going to select, but disguised it. What if the player we really want is

Michael Huff.

Fills a need at safety, is about the spot he is predicted to go at....it makes sense.
We went to the UT pro-day...presumeably to look at Vince....but maybe we've all been played?

LoneStarState
04-19-2006, 01:18 PM
So here is a thought. Im reminded of the jerome mathis pick. We went to see him, but it was widely reported we were scouting another player, a cornerback named Bartell. We went to the proday of the player we were going to select, but disguised it. What if the player we really want is

Michael Huff.

Fills a need at safety, is about the spot he is predicted to go at....it makes sense.
We went to the UT pro-day...presumeably to look at Vince....but maybe we've all been played?
You'd be happy if the Texans drafted all UT players wouldn't you?

swtbound07
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
You'd be happy if the Texans drafted all UT players wouldn't you?

Not hardly. I prefer domonique byrd as a TE over david thomas, was advocating carlos rogers last year over derrick johnson. it was just a theory.....calm it down.

kcwilson
04-19-2006, 01:21 PM

That would be crazy to do... that is not even close to equal value for the #1 overall... they would have to throw in more picks that they have, which are all late rounders.

They get Reggie, we get Vernon Davis, Huff, or Young at best. For sure Hawk, Ferguson, Wililams, Bush and either Leinart or Young are gone at that point.

Huff sounds intriguing if we could get more picks from them... plus my bro is a Lions fan and he wants Huff so it would be fun to take him for that reason alone.... gotta love spite.

SnakeOilTanker
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
can it please be draft day:brickwall :brickwall

El Amigo Invisible
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Oh yes! I think that the Niners should try to get Bush somehow. I think Matteo would have been happier there too if he had only come out last year.

beerlover
04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
after the top 5 or 6 prospects it shows the quality of depth in this draft rds. #2 & #3. the middle to the end of the 1st rd. seems very equal in terms of talent without a huge dropoff thru the 2nd rd. even the beginning of 3rd. :twocents:

Sarg01
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Consider the "Sweet 6":

RB Bush
LB Hawk
TE Davis
DE Williams
OT Ferguson
QB Young

One of these guys is there at 6, mathematical certainty. Add in a Matt Leinart above 6 and you get your choice of any two.

wags
04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
If I was the 49ers I draft V. Davis to help out Smith, and then BPA at #22.

Lucky
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
The all knowing Jimmy Johnson pick chart (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm) nailed this trade.

Niners get #22 (780 points)
Broncos get #37 (530 points) + #68 (250 points)

nunusguy
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh yes! I think that the Niners should try to get Bush somehow.
Can they afford him, cap wise ? They had the #1 last year, and then to have it again this year, have they got the cap space to handle 2 consecutive years of #1 overalls ?

Lucky
04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Can they afford him, cap wise ? They had the #1 last year, and then to have it again this year, have they got the cap space to handle 2 consecutive years of #1 overalls ?
Cap space for this season? Sure, the 1st year number will be tolerable. The real question is can the Niners owner handout a $20+ million bonus after doing the same last season. The Yorks haven't been as free-spending as DeBartolo was.

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
folks, this isn't a niners move, it's a broncos move. they're going to try (in my opinion--no sources here) to move up with oakland or new orleans to get vernon davis or mario williams. this is the most logical.

The Dude Abides
04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
The all knowing Jimmy Johnson pick chart (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm) nailed this trade.

And according to that chart the 22nd and 6th still isn't worth the 1st.
1-3000
6 - 1600 + (22) 780

still Not an even trade and I don't think we should trade down to six because you miss out on Williams, Ferguson, Bush, & possibly Hawk.

texasguy346
04-19-2006, 01:59 PM

Michael Huff.

I definately wouldn't mind if the Texans picked Huff at #6. He'd make an immediate impact for the defense at FS, and he'd fill a position of need without having to reach for a player. However Davis would be an enticing pick at #6 as well. If Hawk was still around at 6 along with Huff then we'd be in a tough spot. Hard to pick between the two.

Lucky
04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
folks, this isn't a niners move, it's a broncos move. they're going to try (in my opinion--no sources here) to move up with oakland or new orleans to get vernon davis or mario williams. this is the most logical.
I think they just didn't want to pay 2 guys 1st round $$$. Some feel you can get just as good a player at #37 as you can at #22 in this draft. Maybe the Broncos think this, but the Niners don't.

done88
04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
So if San Fran offers 6 and 26 and their first next year would we be willing to trade #1?

TommyS
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
So if San Fran offers 6 and 26 and their first next year would we be willing to trade #1?

i dont tihnk so, maybe, but the 49ers dont have no 26, thats the bears.
plus, they have way too many needs to be trading up.

Texas_Thrill
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
San Fran has the WORST talent in the NFL. They need all those picks. They'll never make the offer.

B/c bush on their team is like campbell on the oilers.....a short career.

I'd jump on it though. Give us an excuse to draft defense.

Nighthawk
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM

So the 49ers are 620 points light on the trade?

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 02:13 PM
the talks between san fran and denver began with the intent that denver would attempt to trade up to 6 and grab vernon davis. san fran wasn't going to give up their 6th pick, so denver did the best they could to get value picks. this is denver stockpiling to move up, NOT san francisco. they now have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. i can almost guarantee it. i haven't heard anything about this situation yet, but i'm nearly 100% with this. i wouldn't get your hopes up texans fans...

nunusguy
04-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I definately wouldn't mind if the Texans picked Huff at #6.
IMO there's a big four, Bush & Williams & D'Brick & Hawk, the Texans are willing and would be happy to get if they trade their #1. Problem is there's also realistic probability, IMO and many others, that only one of the 3 QBs
of Leinert & Young & Cutler are top 5 picks. So #6 may not be a high enough
first rounder for the Texans to get one of the "big four", therefor a trade with
the 49ers would not appeal to them.

Lucky
04-19-2006, 02:24 PM
So the 49ers are 620 points light on the trade?
The Niners don't have what it takes to move up to #1. Never have.

Texans Horror
04-19-2006, 02:24 PM
who do the niners take with the extra pick? I glanced at the San Fran Message Boards. Looks like a lot of people want a defensive player. Maybe Allen, Sims, Cromartie, etc.

texasguy346
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I really think Huff is going to be a great player on the next level. He reminds me of Brian Dawkins. They both have great closing speed, are good in coverage, and have good instincts. Dawkins is a bigger hitter than Huff, but both are very solid tacklers. The only downside to taking Huff at #6 is that you'd be paying him alot of money. He'd be in the top tier of salary for safeties right off the bat.

done88
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
i dont tihnk so, maybe, but the 49ers dont have no 26, thats the bears.
plus, they have way too many needs to be trading up.

San Fran just traded their 2nd and 3rd for Denvers 1st rounder. I thought it was 26 it is 22 which is even better. Plus they have already traded 2 for one.

tulexan
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Niners won't trade up. They have too many needs to give up multiple picks for one player. They will keep both first round picks and build depth.

Lucky
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
who do the niners take with the extra pick? I glanced at the San Fran Message Boards. Looks like a lot of people want a defensive player. Maybe Allen, Sims, Cromartie, etc.
I think the Niners are targeting Huff at #6 and a LB at #22. Wouldn't it be odd if Huff went before Vince Young?

Mike Kerns
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I think the Niners are targeting Huff at #6 and a LB at #22. Wouldn't it be odd if Huff went before Vince Young?
Not to me. Huff could be special. But I guess you could say that about a lot of players. I have Huff rated higher, but due to needs, I have Young drafted before him.

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
huff will go before young. i'll make a bet on it.

Mike Kerns
04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
huff will go before young. i'll make a bet on it.
I tell ya kast, I hope you are from the future, because I like a lot of your "Guarantees" :ok:

Porky
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Excellent trade for the Broncos. This will give them a ton of felxibility to move on draft day. Smart trade by a smart franchise. As far as SF, this just proves that bad teams make bad decisions. Stupid move. At the least, you wait until draft day and see who is there at #22. That far back in the first rd, there is no way to target a specific player. You have zero way of knowing if your man will be there, and unless you have someone targeted that presents great value, as a bad team, you simply don't trade away good picks in a deep draft. It's a dumb move by a dumb franchise.

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I tell ya kast, I hope you are from the future, because I like a lot of your "Guarantees" :ok:
are you sarah connor?

Caphorn
04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Excellent trade for the Broncos. This will give them a ton of felxibility to move on draft day. Smart trade by a smart franchise. As far as SF, this just proves that bad teams make bad decisions. Stupid move. At the least, you wait until draft day and see who is there at #22. That far back in the first rd, there is no way to target a specific player. You have zero way of knowing if your man will be there, and unless you have someone targeted that presents great value, as a bad team, you simply don't trade away good picks in a deep draft. It's a dumb move by a dumb franchise.

Given that it's a neutral value trade on the charts, I'm not sure at all why its dumb. Certain positions (RB and DBs in this draft) have several quality guys but a large drop off after the 1st round. They also desparately need at least one OL that can come in and play immediately.

I don't disagree that the SF org is bad. But the trade is neutral valuewise.

Texans Horror
04-19-2006, 03:12 PM

I don't think it would be odd. VY is undervalued and is considered the second or third best QB by many (but not me) and Huff, in addition to being a solid player, is also in a position that is very popular.

Texans Horror
04-19-2006, 03:16 PM

As bad off as the Niners are, they are looking to fill many holes. They want guaranteed starters, not projects. I think that is their reasoning behind making the trade now. Any of a number of those players would be a boon to them. Assuming they want somebody to start in September, I can't help but think they are adding a receiver. Vernon Davis is the popular #6 pick for SF. They want to give Alex somebody to throw to.

PokerStar
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Kas that is a bet you will not get many takers on. that is like showing your pocket aces and then asking the guy to call you with 7-2 offsuit. Anyway big move by the Niners and expected by Denver given their cap situation. I would assume they go with Vernon Davis for offensive help early and then Greenway, Carpenter, Wimbley, Joseph, or another corner to help them out. Problem here is that now they will have to wait awhile to try and get another corner, I would recommend they take Haas in the 5th, because he will really help out Smith also.

tulexan
04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I think they are going to go after Davis with the #6 pick and Cromartie with the #22 pick. The DBs on the Niners were decimated last year and I believe that they have gotten rid of a few in the offseason. If they don't go DB with the #22 pick they will go after a LB. Of course they could take AJ Hawk at #6 if he falls and take a WR with the #22 pick.

PokerStar
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Tulexan I like the thought of Davis and Cromartie cant believe I forgot him. Anyway I will likely be changing my mock to your exact picks thanks.

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Kas that is a bet you will not get many takers on. that is like showing your pocket aces and then asking the guy to call you with 7-2 offsuit. Anyway big move by the Niners and expected by Denver given their cap situation. I would assume they go with Vernon Davis for offensive help early and then Greenway, Carpenter, Wimbley, Joseph, or another corner to help them out. Problem here is that now they will have to wait awhile to try and get another corner, I would recommend they take Haas in the 5th, because he will really help out Smith also.
i've never seen an analogy tied so perfectly into one's avatar. well played my friend. well played.

that being said, there's this popular myth floating about that vince young is a top 3 player will be drafted as such. the titans and jets both have young as their #3 quarterback. he'll go no higher than 9 to detroit, and i think if between huff and young, detroit would take huff. then arizona would take young. seriously the ONLY two places i see him ending up is detroit or arizona. the lions don't need a QB at all, but the pressure will be on millen to make up for his mistakes the past...5 years or so. this would be a sign to the fans that he's corrected things. of course, young will be a bust and then millen will be fired, but that's not the point.

i had the niners passing on vernon davis before this trade, because they're focused more on defense. now it's tough to call. i still think they want defense at the 6th pick, and may opt to go WR at 22, but i just can't say.

PokerStar
04-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Kas which WR that is first round quality will be there with that pick. It just seems they now have the ability to take that offensive playmaker, and then will be able to address the D with a very good player.

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
i definitely see your point. and it makes sense. however, this deal was initiated by the broncos. they've been talking for several days now as the broncos initially wanted to find a way to trade up and grab davis. i don't think denver would've made this trade here had they thought san fran would take davis. from all i've heard in the past month or so regarding san francisco, their #1 target is defense.

i don't have a value chart in front of me, but there could be 2 more deals out of this: denver trading up for davis, and san fran trading up to new orleans for mario williams. i'm pretty sure when you put the picks together, it makes sense.

the niners' trade isn't THAT likely, but i definitely anticipate denver to trade up.

tulexan
04-19-2006, 03:52 PM
i definitely see your point. and it makes sense. however, this deal was initiated by the broncos. they've been talking for several days now as the broncos initially wanted to find a way to trade up and grab davis. i don't think denver would've made this trade here had they thought san fran would take davis. from all i've heard in the past month or so regarding san francisco, their #1 target is defense.

i don't have a value chart in front of me, but there could be 2 more deals out of this: denver trading up for davis, and san fran trading up to new orleans for mario williams. i'm pretty sure when you put the picks together, it makes sense.

the niners' trade isn't THAT likely, but i definitely anticipate denver to trade up.

I don't know. If Denver wanted Davis so bad why didn't they get the Niners #6 pick? I'm sure that the Niners would be willing to give up #6 for #15 and #22. If Denver wants to move up they will have to give up #15 anyways, so why not give it to the Niners? I think that Denver is trying to add quality players while reducing the payroll and the Niners are trying to get 2 elite players (1 for offense 1 for defense).

kastofsna
04-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know. If Denver wanted Davis so bad why didn't they get the Niners #6 pick? I'm sure that the Niners would be willing to give up #6 for #15 and #22. If Denver wants to move up they will have to give up #15 anyways, so why not give it to the Niners? I think that Denver is trying to add quality players while reducing the payroll and the Niners are trying to get 2 elite players (1 for offense 1 for defense).
the value isn't there. the #6 pick isn't worth as much as the #15 and #22. however, since they've now got the 37th pick int he 2nd round, they could package that, along with the 15 to move up as high as 8 to oakland, or they can throw in their other 2nd and move up to green bay, depending on whether they want to move down or not.

dalemurphy
04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Consider the "Sweet 6":

RB Bush
LB Hawk
TE Davis
DE Williams
OT Ferguson
QB Young

One of these guys is there at 6, mathematical certainty. Add in a Matt Leinart above 6 and you get your choice of any two.

I think the "sweet 6" includes Huff and not Young... certainly it does for our purposes. 6 is the ideal spot for us. We get the best DE, OT, RB, LB, FS/CB, or TE to enter the NFL in a number of years.

kiwitexansfan
04-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I would consider it, if they threw in a #1 next year or some other very good sweetener. I'd prefer to stay higher than 6 however and get Bush, Brick or Mario.

tulexan
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Not every team that gets extra first round picks do it to trade up. Most of the time they keep the picks to build a better team. I really don't think that there is a chance that the Niners will trade up to #1.

Chargers had 2 firsts last year
Cowboys had 2 firsts last year
Redskins had 2 firsts last year.

None of them traded up and none of them probably regret it either. With a draft this loaded with first round talent, the Niners are going to stay where they are and build both their offense and defense in the first round. Nolan is committed to his plan and I don't see him blowing up the draft for one player when they have so many needs.

The Preacher
04-19-2006, 05:55 PM
So if San Fran offers 6 and 22 and their first next year would we be willing to trade #1?

Yes and I don't think it is that farfetched. If you want Reggie Bush because you think he is the best player in ten years to come out, you do it. A lot of so-called experts put him there. I don't see why the Broncos have more firepower to move up either when they just lost a first rounder. Yes it is unlikely this happens because they need the picks and Gore looked pretty decent at the end of the year. I would then draft for defense and forget about RB. Great he can run fast and make some good moves. So could Barry Sanders but it never got the Lions to far. Defense wins championships period. Except for the Rams. Fire away

JAXwithanX
04-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't think the 49ers are really comfortable paying two number one draft pick salaries.

real
04-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Why not???

real
04-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Sold...

JAXwithanX
04-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Why not???

I don't know....something like the over 100 million dollars they would have invested on just two players that have either not played at all in the NFL....or has and has been pretty marginal (granted it was his first year and he was switching O types).

The Dude Abides
04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Using the trade chart, would you do this trade
NY Jets 4 & 29 for San Fran's 6 & 22?
1800+640 for 1600+ 780
2440 for 2380
San Fran might be targeting someone at 4 or the Jets see someone they like at 22 who won't be there ar 29. Anyway, just another way to mix it up with another option.

Eyeguy
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
If Denver is targeting Colledge with # 37, this could effect Texans if Winston is gone at #33. Winston and Colledge are the only quality OT suited for the zone blocking system. I thought that the Texans would be best served to trade down at #33 and get Colledge if Winston or someone big does not drop from 1st rnd.
Now we might consider Colledge at #33. He has been working up the mocks to Falcons 2nd round pick.

HomeBred_Texan
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
They made a trade with Denver to acquire there 22nd pick in the 1st round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5519250

San Francisco is looking to get a sure-fire starting prospect at a position of need at that slot, and the chances of that greatly improved Wednesday when the Niners traded with the Denver Broncos for the No. 22 overall pick in the draft, making San Francisco one of just two teams to own two selections in the first round come April 29.

mexican_texan
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
They made a trade with Denver to acquire there 22nd pick in the 1st round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5519250
The word prospect just reminds me of how the NFL needs a minor league.

Where don't the Niners need a solid starter? Do they already have one?

Carr Bombed
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
The word prospect just reminds me of how the NFL needs a minor league.

College Football is NFL's minor league and of course they always have the NFLe.

Grid
04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Great move by Denver.

If we accepted a deal for the #6 and #22... i would be mad. Trading down that far is going to put us out of range of the most elite talent in this draft. If we trade down.. anything less than Mario Williams is a bad move IMO.

Vernon Davis isnt even a sure thing at #6. And what if Vince Young falls and we pass on him twice? The Burnt Orange nation is gonna be foaming at the mouth (more than usual).

mexican_texan
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
College Football is NFL's minor league and of course they always have the NFLe.
you can't send players back to college and the NFLe isn't properly set up. MLB and NBA have some.

Nighthawk
04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
IMO there's a big four, Bush & Williams & D'Brick & Hawk, the Texans are willing and would be happy to get if they trade their #1. Problem is there's also realistic probability, IMO and many others, that only one of the 3 QBs
of Leinert & Young & Cutler are top 5 picks. So #6 may not be a high enough
first rounder for the Texans to get one of the "big four", therefor a trade with
the 49ers would not appeal to them.

No, Mel's "Elite Eight" is where we want to be. Anywhere there you get great value for money, and it's actually deeper than that.

Hervoyel
04-19-2006, 09:24 PM
2 first round picks eh? They just need another 8 or so first round picks this year and they'll get that thing back on track. Good on them!

Carr Bombed
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
you can't send players back to college and the NFLe isn't properly set up. MLB and NBA have some. How isn't the NFLe not properly set up. You have 2nd or 3rd rate players given a shot in another league to see what they can do, if they have a outstanding year in most cases their given a shot, that has minors written all over it. Then you also have the AFL, there have been plenty of NFL players that have been given a shot strictly on their performance in the AFL. NFL scouts cover all these leagues including the CFL. There are already plenty of lower leagues

mexican_texan
04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
How isn't the NFLe not properly set up. You have 2nd or 3rd rate players given a shot in another league to see what they can do, if they have a outstanding year in most cases their given a shot, that has minors written all over it. Then you also have the AFL, there have been plenty of NFL players that have been given a shot strictly on their performance in the AFL. NFL scouts cover all these leagues including the CFL. There are already plenty of lower leagues
The thing about the NFLe is that it is played after the season. I would like a couple of minor league teams to play here in the states, maybe in possiple relocation places like LA or a place with no team in the state or region. The CFL and AFL are sort of minor leagues, but teams can't send guys there.

MorKnolle
04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Looks like the Broncos won't be trading up for Vernon Davis, look for them to grab Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes at #15, if they aren't there they will probably either look for a DE or else maybe look to trade down another 5-7 picks and grab one there since any of them that are available at #15 should also be there in the 20-23 range.

Trap_Star
04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
The thing about the NFLe is that it is played after the season. I would like a couple of minor league teams to play here in the states, maybe in possiple relocation places like LA or a place with no team in the state or region. The CFL and AFL are sort of minor leagues, but teams can't send guys there.

I dont think the NFL can have a "minor league" type system. The risk of prospects getting injured is much higher than in baseball or basketball.

beerlover
04-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Great move by Denver.

If we accepted a deal for the #6 and #22... i would be mad. Trading down that far is going to put us out of range of the most elite talent in this draft. If we trade down.. anything less than Mario Williams is a bad move IMO.

Vernon Davis isnt even a sure thing at #6. And what if Vince Young falls and we pass on him twice? The Burnt Orange nation is gonna be foaming at the mouth (more than usual).

I would not mind if D'Brick was there @ #6 and Tye Hill @ #22. then wait for next years two 1st rd picks :drool:

MikeMc
04-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Well according to the Draft Pick Trade Chart (via ESPN Insider):

#1 overall (3000 pts)

for

#6 - 1600 pts
#22 - 780 pts

Texans would only need a 620 point pick (which happens to be #30 overall!). Only way that would happen is if they threw in a player...... the rest of SF picks are like this:

#100 (4th rd) - 100 pts
#140 (5th Rd) - 36 pts
#175 (6th Rd) - 22.4 pts
#192 (6th Rd) - 15.6 pts
#213 (7th Rd) - 7.2 pts
#236 (7th Rd) - 1.8 pts
#254 (7th Rd) - 0.5 pts

Now then to add some drama...... Texans trade #1 pick to SF for #6 & #22 and Player to be Named....... who is that player??

MikeMc
04-20-2006, 01:48 AM
BTW, I do not think Huff is the same caliber DB as Roy Williams. Why draft a DB #6 and have him play Safety? CBs get drafted higher because they are more of a need. Hell, the Texans had a 6th rder start at SS last year!

No way Davis is drafted in top 10...unless DET goes offense again! LMAO! TEs do not make that big a difference to weak teams. The good teams use TEs to add to the punch...not help fix the problems. Any team that drafts Davis is a dumb team. Cleveland drafting KWII almost caused mass panic!

Maybe SF will hope DeAngelo Williams is there at #22! Check it out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2413614

kastofsna
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Well according to the Draft Pick Trade Chart (via ESPN Insider):

#1 overall (3000 pts)

for

#6 - 1600 pts
#22 - 780 pts

Texans would only need a 620 point pick (which happens to be #30 overall!). Only way that would happen is if they threw in a player...... the rest of SF picks are like this:

#100 (4th rd) - 100 pts
#140 (5th Rd) - 36 pts
#175 (6th Rd) - 22.4 pts
#192 (6th Rd) - 15.6 pts
#213 (7th Rd) - 7.2 pts
#236 (7th Rd) - 1.8 pts
#254 (7th Rd) - 0.5 pts

Now then to add some drama...... Texans trade #1 pick to SF for #6 & #22 and Player to be Named....... who is that player??
that's exactly why the trade won't happen. not to mention how much they would have to pay two #1 overall picks 2 years in a row. san francisco will keep the picks and build. they lost several good players on defense and their only decent receiver on offense. they have frank gore who's primed for a 1000-yard season. there's no chance they invest this much into one player.

kastofsna
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Cleveland drafting KWII almost caused mass panic!
not really. "panic" only happened after he got injured for the 2nd time.

WildBlackBear32
04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I dont think the NFL can have a "minor league" type system. The risk of prospects getting injured is much higher than in baseball or basketball.

And the other side to that coin would be allowing subs to get playing time against other teams upper level subs during the same NFL schedule so if an injury were to occur, you can "bring up" a player who has at least taken live snaps against decent level competition just the week before. Sure, a minor league may affect the shelf life of certain positions like runningbacks, but the benefit QBs and linemen can get out of it would be great.