PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker issues?

slamdunc
04-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Sam Cowart will be a serviceable short term fix for the middle. I would expect Morlon Greenwood to move to the weak side. He played well in Miami in open space in a 4-3, granted it was alongside Zach Thomas. The question will be strong side.

Based on the current roster that leaves:
Wong - not sure he can strong side if completely healthy
Orr - did well as OLB in 3-4
DeShaun Polk, Zeke Moreno, Charlie Anderson, Evans

Should we use one of our first 4 picks on a LB or go with what we got?
Who do you folks think should play strong side over the TE

PokerStar
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I think Orr at the strongside would handle the job quite well. As a blitzer he would be good, and he is solid in coverage. He is a bit undersized, but he has the speed and toughness to handle the position. I think we should use one of our thirds or fourths on a LB though. I am hoping for Rocky McIntosh who could play outside or Inside. Rocky would push Cowart out the picture much like his old teamate Jon. Vilma did.

kiwitexansfan
04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I feel that we need to get a LB on the first day.

I hae asked numerous times who we have that in the LB corps who can cover a TE and have only been met by deathly silence.

At the moment I think Orr might be in the lead for the SLB, with Wong out injured. Unless Rainer or Polk shift outside.

kiwitexansfan
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
In a trade down yes, if we stay put No.

Mario maybe though.

Texas
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Mario over hawk...

PokerStar
04-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Kiwi just to add some noise to that silence Orr can cover the LB pretty well. If we draft a guy like McIntosh or Nande they are solid in coverage also. Greenwood is pretty solid in coverage, but due to his slight size he will get beat.

Sarg01
04-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Mario over hawk...

Hawk over Mario ...

Assuming it's not at #1 or #2, can't float those salary cap numbers for a LB.

Mario's production this year was spotty. Take out one or two admittedly monster games and it was decidedly pedestrian.

Hawk never quits. Could play all three LB spots, too, which is huge.

Of course, if that doesn't happen, Demeco Ryans in the second would be the biggest steal of the first day draft.

kiwitexansfan
04-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Orr was our most successful pass rusher last year.

In our new defense the rush is supposed to come from the line.

Does this devalue him this year??

Runner
04-18-2006, 08:28 PM
We have a lot of linebackers on the roster right now. Taking one on the first day seems a waste, but we must have people that fit the system. My conclusion:

I don't know.

Orr was our most successful pass rusher last year.

In our new defense the rush is supposed to come from the line.

Does this devalue him this year??

I hope success doesn't devalue players.