PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys sign former Texan S Marcus Coleman

HowBoutThemCowboys!
04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
This signing reminds me alot like Aaron Glenn's from last year.

I've definetly heard him alot from you guys over here, can anyone fill me in on him?

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

IRVING - The Cowboys have agreed to terms with former Houston Texans safety Marcus Coleman.
Coleman, a former cornerback who moved to safety, is a step toward addressing the teamís wish for a true free safety to play opposite strong safety Roy Williams.
Safety is still a position the Cowboys might consider in the draft. They brought in two safety prospects - Texasí Michael Huff and Tennesseeís Jason Allen - for visits on Monday and Tuesday.
Both are potential first-round draft choices. While the Cowboys would have to make a major trade to move up to get Huff, who is considered a top 10 pick, Allen could be there when the Cowboys pick at No. 18.
However, the signing of Coleman and the re-signing of 2005 starter Keith Davis means that the Cowboys donít have to reach to address a need in the draft. They can accept the pick or the deals that come to them.
Joining the Cowboys is a homecoming for Coleman, who played at Lake Highlands High School before starring at Texas Tech and becoming a fifth-round pick of the New York Jets in 1996. He will be reunited in Dallas with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells and cornerback Aaron Glenn. He played under Parcells with the Jets. He played with Glenn with the Jets and Texans.
The 10-year veteran played cornerback for the first eight years of his career before moving to free safety in 2004 with the Texans. He has started 27 games at free safety in the past two years. Colemanís addition continues a busy off-season for the Cowboys who have now signed a club-record eight free agents, including receiver Terrell Owens, guard Kyle Kosier, tackle Jason Fabini, linebacker Akin Ayodele, linebacker Rocky Boiman, kicker Mike Vanderjadt and tight end Ryan Hannam.

Texans34Life
04-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Absolutely sucked last year. I think he's on the downhill of his career.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
That's what it appears from the stats!

gtexan02
04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Up until last year, he was a fantastic coverage guy who pulled down a lot of interceptions. Last year, he was horrible in coverage, was a terrible tackler (he and Pbuch were both benched for their lack of tackling), and an all around poor member of our tema. Maybe you can bring out the old Coleman

kiwitexansfan
04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Glenn had a little left in the tank.

Coleman is running on a wound up rubber band at the moment.

He moved to safety because he had lost a step, and he can't tackle so that doesn't leave much to offer.

the wonger need food
04-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Coleman, a former cornerback who moved to safety, is a step toward addressing the teamís wish for a true free safety to play opposite strong safety Roy Williams.

Ha! Better plan on drafting a "true free safety".

thunderkyss
04-18-2006, 08:01 PM
I can't believe the Cowboys pulled the trigger...... I didn't think it would happen, considering.

But maybe, just maybe, Bill knows the guy, and blame his poor performance on our lack of a Pass Rush.
Year before last, Roy Williams' cover skills were exposed..... some of the fans were ready to trade him. But because they were week at the corner positions, Roy was out of his element............... not allowed to play his hard hitting style.

Maybe Bill sees the same thing in Coleman. If we get our pass rush on, maybe, maybe PBuc can play the game that made him a 1st round pick.

Here's hoping.

4th&inches
04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Well I'm not sure how I feel about this pick up for the boys. The only good thing about it is that it was from what I saw only a one year deal so if he sucks they dont have to worry about him next year and if he plays like he was playing years past then it could be a very very good thing so we'll see! :yahoo:

Lucky
04-18-2006, 08:14 PM
...Roy was out of his element............... not allowed to play his hard hitting style.
As opposed to Marcus Coleman's no hitting style? Yep, that'll be a great safety tandem.

Huge
04-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd be concerned only if he makes the final roster. Given his drop-off in production and that he only signed a one year deal, there's no guarantee he'll be around come September.

Until then, he's only insurance just as Dixon and Scott were at the end of last year.

c5demon
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Going to be a really good game in Oct.!

DFAN
04-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I'd be concerned only if he makes the final roster. Given his drop-off in production and that he only signed a one year deal, there's no guarantee he'll be around come September.

Until then, he's only insurance just as Dixon and Scott were at the end of last year.

I believe he'll make the final roster.

Huge
04-18-2006, 10:56 PM
I believe he'll make the final roster.
Then come '07, we're going to see our trend continue. Still looking for an answer at FS.

texan279
04-19-2006, 12:05 AM
from www.kffl.com

Cowboys | Contract update: M. Coleman
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:57:36 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Dallas Cowboys S Marcus Coleman signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $810,000 to join the team.

Cowboys | Coleman expected to play mostly at safety
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:00:11 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Dallas Cowboys plan to use S Marcus Coleman mostly at safety, but his experience at cornerback could come in handy. Since he has played both safety positions and cornerback, Coleman could end up being a "swing man" in the secondary. At 6-feet-2 and 215 pounds, he brings more size to the secondary, too.

texan279
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
In my best Joel buschbaum...

[B]"Looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane."[/brooklyn nasal]

lol: I was thinking something along those lines...

texasguy346
04-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Looks like Parcells is hoping that this signing brings out the old Coleman, but from what we've seen last season that version of Coleman is all but a memory. He absolutely quit on his team last year and lost his job to a 6th round draft pick. It would definately be in the best interest of the Cowboys to draft a guy like Jimmmy Williams to take over the FS position. Coleman may surprise people though, and he might be rejuvenated for a year to play with Glenn once again.

texan279
04-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Looks like Parcells is hoping that this signing brings out the old Coleman, but from what we've seen last season that version of Coleman is all but a memory. He absolutely quit on his team last year and lost his job to a 6th round draft pick. It would definately be in the best interest of the Cowboys to draft a guy like Jimmmy Williams to take over the FS position. Coleman may surprise people though, and he might be rejuvenated for a year to play with Glenn once again.

I guess I wish him the best either way. I'll always remember that 102 yard INT return for a TD he had against the Chiefs in 2004 though.

Scooter
04-19-2006, 02:43 AM
coleman was bad last year, but i disagree as to why. it looked to me like he wasnt trying & just didnt care. switching positions, losing glenn, poor coaching, & being on a team that was obviously going to be bad were probably the motive for his weak play IMO. i'm not sure what's left in the tank, or if the switch to FS was a bad idea, but that's the impression that i got. if that is the case, it's deffinately something parcells could fix.

i do think that he's talented enough to still play however, and would make any roster as atleast a backup.

Corrosion
04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
coleman was bad last year, but i disagree as to why. it looked to me like he wasnt trying & just didnt care. switching positions, losing glenn, poor coaching, & being on a team that was obviously going to be bad were probably the motive for his weak play IMO. i'm not sure what's left in the tank, or if the switch to FS was a bad idea, but that's the impression that i got. if that is the case, it's deffinately something parcells could fix.

i do think that he's talented enough to still play however, and would make any roster as atleast a backup.

I agree with some of your statement ..... Bad year , Position switch wasnt good for him , playing for the worst team in the league ....But I cant agree w/ the poor coaching . Jon Hoke is one of if not the best DB coaches in the NFL ....
I think the main problem is he just didnt care , that became apparent to me when he was out drinking and driving a 3000 lb bullet down Kirby and running into a tree ..... Missing practices and work-outs also point me in that direction . These are things I expect from a rookie , not an establsihed veteran .
I also agree that he still has the TALENT to play in the NFL ..... but that he doesnt have the HUNGER to do so :twocents:

nunusguy
04-19-2006, 09:27 AM
The poor ole Arlington Cowboys are so caught up with themselves and their
image, in this article from the Dallas Morning News about picking up Coleman,
the reader has to get to the fifth paragraph before he finds out that Coleman was cut by the Texans. In the story headline, they just say Coleman
was "Tech-ex", in reference to his college. I guess they don't even think the
Texans are worthy of being in the same pro league as them. Whoa, they had
better win that home game in North Texas against the Texans, if not they
might have to finally admit they are picking up discarded scraps from the states other team.
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/041906cpcoleman.4b64011a.html

DFAN
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Then come '07, we're going to see our trend continue. Still looking for an answer at FS.

I dont see how him making the roster = looking for a FS in 2007. We can still draft one. Coleman just makes to where we dont have to reach. There really no one on the team that is young and up and coming that Coleman signing will hurt the development of. We didnt pay him starting money so we're no obligated to start him. To me he was just insurance. He will compete for the FS job against Davis, Beriault, Pile and whoever we may draft. I dont see how he doesnt make the roster.

WWJD
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
He's another Bill guy and Bill loves recycling players.

I still think they'll go for Huff if he's there when they pick.

El Tejano
04-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Great, now all we have to do is throw it deep to Marcus' side.

Scooter
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I also agree that he still has the TALENT to play in the NFL ..... but that he doesnt have the HUNGER to do so :twocents:

yeah, pretty much what i was trying to say. i think parcells can change coleman's outlook though. as for coaching, that was aimed at capers & fangio. hoke's done a great job, but fangio's scheme was terrible, and capers couldnt get 3rd graders to follow him. at that point, there's really not much a DB's coach can say to an 11 year vet who's already lost interest.

the wonger need food
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
the Dallas Cowboys plan to use S Marcus Coleman mostly at safety, but his experience at cornerback could come in handy. Since he has played both safety positions and cornerback, Coleman could end up being a "swing man" in the secondary. At 6-feet-2 and 215 pounds, he brings more size to the secondary, too.

October 15th can not get here soon enough... :drool:

4th&inches
04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
He's another Bill guy and Bill loves recycling players.

I still think they'll go for Huff if he's there when they pick.
That would be a dream that I dont think will come true! but I would love for it to. But I still see them looking for another safety in the draft. I think that they will trade away their first round pick and try to get a second round for it plus something and get a fs and maybe a lb in the second. my :twocents:

hollywood_texan
04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
I went to a Cowboys message board and they were high on Coleman. Basically saying they are filling out talent to take the best player available. Those guys were clueless.

Unless Parcells works with him on tackling, I don't think he will make the team.

Bullpen Drew
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Looks like our chances on winning on Oct 15th are getting better and better.

WWJD
04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I went to a Cowboys message board and they were high on Coleman. Basically saying they are filling out talent to take the best player available. Those guys were clueless.

Unless Parcells works with him on tackling, I don't think he will make the team.

I definitely think he'll make the team and I do see them taking the best player available. They have plenty of holes to fill.

It's Coleman's last chance with a coach he knows very well. We'll see what happens.

WWJD
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
That would be a dream that I dont think will come true! but I would love for it to. But I still see them looking for another safety in the draft. I think that they will trade away their first round pick and try to get a second round for it plus something and get a fs and maybe a lb in the second. my :twocents:

Yea wishful thinking on my part about Huff. I figure if I write it enough maybe I can will it to come true. He'd be a great pick but he'll be gone I'm pretty sure unless they trade up.

DFAN
04-19-2006, 09:35 PM

I dont know which one you went to but the one I go to people were mainly just saying this gives them insurance that we dont have to reach on draft day.

Hervoyel
04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Coleman will do just fine in Dallas. Before last season he was pretty well liked here. I think he quit on the Texans last season and he didn't want to be here once Glenn was gone.

Looking back at the 2-14 nightmare I can't say that I totally blame him. He'll be better in Dallas and I just hope he doesn't step in front of one of a David Carr pass and take it all the way back like he did for us against KC back in 03.

Trap_Star
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Coleman will do just fine in Dallas. Before last season he was pretty well liked here. I think he quit on the Texans last season and he didn't want to be here once Glenn was gone.

Looking back at the 2-14 nightmare I can't say that I totally blame him. He'll be better in Dallas and I just hope he doesn't step in front of one of a David Carr pass and take it all the way back like he did for us against KC back in 03.

He wont have to. He'll be to worried about getting burnt deep by AJ.:)

Texans_Chick
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM

Agreed.

I will also add that there is no secondary that woulda looked good given our play up front last year. Our run defense up front was sucko, we had no pass rush, and our schemes were very reactive. It is not fair to ask the secondary to have to do so much.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Looks like he will be out 4 weeks for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Man, already a thread for that.