PDA

View Full Version : I'm BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

El Tejano
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Okay. So I gave up Houstontexans.com for lent like a good Catholic boy. I tell you what, that was a real hard thing to do esepecially with all the deals the Texans have made. When we were doing the Eric Moulds deal I was pulling my hair out trying to see what everyone thought of the deal as well as the other deals.

So here is my point to my thread since I want to do some catching up. What all do yall think about our offseason?

Do you or don't you like the deals for Anthony Weaver, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, Eric Moulds? Do you think any of these players will make an immediate impact to our team? Is there any of the no names we got going to be of any significance? Talk to me yall I missed yall.:crying:

mexican_texan
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
I gave up burgers and soda.

Basically, we got Moulds, Mathis has an attitude problem, Carr still sucks but is is inspired, and scrubs were signed.

El Tejano
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
What's the deal with Mathis?

Hottoddie
04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
What's the deal with Mathis?

He's constipated. :)

HJam72
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Apparently Mathis has become a little big for his pants, what with making the Pro Bowl and everything, and the new receiving??? coach is very young, so Mathis isn't listening very well. We're hoping Moulds (experience) will rub off on him some.

El Tejano
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Guys. I appreciate the humor. I do. Please understand though that I would like to have some detail since it has been a very long fourty days and nights. What's the deal with Mathis other than a need for Ex Lax or Metamucil?

Runner
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I gave up my New Year's resolutions.

HJam72
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
What all do yall think about our offseason?

Stupendous

Do you or don't you like the deals for Anthony Weaver, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, Eric Moulds?

Happy with every one of them--especially Flanagan and Moulds.

Do you think any of these players will make an immediate impact to our team?

YES, ALL OF THEM!!! :yahoo:

Grid
04-16-2006, 10:37 PM
In a recent radio interview, someone...mclain I think.. was talking about how Mathis is hard headed and not taking to coaching. he apparently thinks he knows everything.

Some people have "theorized" that it is our new young coach that has caused Mathis' new found hard headedness... but no one else appears to be having issues with the new guy.

Also, at the Pro Bowl.. mathis showed up late for some stuff..made everyone wait on him..etc..etc.. And apparently he has shown a bit of cockyness before.

SO.. basically.. we are wondering if he will learn from Moulds and this new staff.. and take the next step towards being a great WR.. or if he will just stay as a kick returner until his contract is up, and move on.

SA Fan
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Welcome Back, El Tejano :redtowel:

I rememebr you did something similiar last year for lent.

It is a commendable thing you do giving up this addicting messageboard this time of year.

The last time I gave something up for lent, I gave up chicharones.

There is a chicharone factory in my family's home town and one hard summer earning my next years tuition, I practically lived off of chicharones and diet pepsi.

So Chicharones had become a major comfort food for me.

I haven't eaten them since going cold turkey for 40 days.

I'm still debating wheter it was a good move or not.

As for offseason moves:

Defense is still up in the air, but things look more positive than anything else. A lot of comments you will hear about the players being pumped are coming from the defense. These guys will have a fire in their belly and could be a sweet thing to see next season. They added an immediate starter DE and some DL and LB players who will at least will be quality depth. There is still talk of need for a free safety on the boards, but also talk of seeing what our young corps of secondary can do with a decent pass rush. My bet is something to be proud of.

Offense looks to have improved as we have leanred Joppru is taking passes from Carr regularly and Putzier was signed. We can look forward to having a TE passing threat like the rest of the NFL next year. Initial indications are that the new coachign staff are moving the OL players either to the positions that they held before coming to the texans (McKinney) or the position that the MB bigwigs claim would be their best position (Pitts). They also brought in a big-name player which should bolster our OL immediately.

Coaches are a big question mark but from what I have heard from Kubiak, he understands his role well and is can articulate to those around him very well.
The OC Calhoun had an interview in SA and I found him to be honest, concise and explains things very well. The people under him will do very well if he talks to them like he talks to the media. And no one on the coaching staff have used tired cliches or has surmised things as a "need to execute."

All in all Things are looking better.

JAXwithanX
04-16-2006, 10:56 PM
If we draft Bush we can release his *** and let him start training for the Olympics for all i care. If all those things are true....well....players like him very rarely change, lets hope Moulds can do something....cause it never happens just by itself.

El Tejano
04-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Looking on the board, I haven't seen many Fire Casserly threads. Does this mean that we all on the message board have agreed with Casserly's moves? I hear about us attempting to draft Mario Williams. I don't like it unless we trade down and get him. What do yall feel?

Grid
04-17-2006, 02:08 AM
word has it that Casserly is getting fired right after the draft.

gtexan02
04-17-2006, 03:03 AM
Looking on the board, I haven't seen many Fire Casserly threads. Does this mean that we all on the message board have agreed with Casserly's moves? I hear about us attempting to draft Mario Williams. I don't like it unless we trade down and get him. What do yall feel?

Williams is rated by most scouts right now as the #2 prospect in the draft, just slightly behind Bush. What this means is that if we trade down, we'd really only be able to go to #2 and still be sure we could pick him up. Since we haven't started any negotiations with Ferguson or Hawk, I'm pretty sure the meeting with Williams was an indication that he would be #1 if we decided to go defense

Malloy
04-17-2006, 04:24 AM
I gave up my New Year's resolutions.

Thanks Runner, now I have the infamous coffee all over the keyboard again! :)

mancunian
04-17-2006, 04:28 AM

He' made too many past mistakes - still needs to get his P45.

YoungTexanFan
04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Well...not a whole lot has happened. We signed some pieces we belive will be key to our team like Flanagan and Moulds.

Mathis outgrew his pants, but apparently it was just a minor issue and there was maybe 5 seconds of talk on a sound-bite about it.

Apparently Bush was asking for more money than Jesus himself, so we converted and started talking to Mario Williams. We're still not sure if this was just a ploy to lower Bush's asking price, or if we are actually serious about Mario at #1. Looking back on the 2001 draft, a lot of people would take Peppers over Carr, why not take someone better than Peppers now?

Some prospects have fallen off the charts, most noticibly Ko Simpson...now realisticly expected to go in the third.

The Carr vs. Young debate has heated up a good deal, while the Young vs. Bush debate has cooled off. Most people accept Bush, but a good majority (75% according to some math done in another thread by me) of people want to trade down and realize that is best for the TEAM.

O, and I gave up sugar. That was hard.

El Tejano
04-17-2006, 08:16 AM
How much exactly is Bush asking for. I want Young, would love to have Bush, would settle for Williams only if we trade down and get him.

gtexan02
04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Numbers are still all over the place (rumors mostly). most likely seems to be somehwere around the tune of 5/6 years at 55 million with 25+ guaranteed
Some reports have claimed RB is asking for 85 million, however, and so this could be a potential problem

As for VY, RB, MW debate, its been pretty much agreed on that the Texan's aren't really considering VY. He still has the few supporters, but based on his "readiness to play" factor, and the fact that all indications throughout the press conferences have been that Kubiak loves DC. In fact, Moulds even said "Carr's position as unquestioned QB of this team is one reason I came here" Is this the right decision? I guess we'll find out

I just really hope money isn't what prevents us from taking RB #1. There some b esome sort of formula for calculating the #1 player's value based on previous years and position, so we could avoid this type of worry

El Tejano
04-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Well it has always been his dream of being the #1 pick so he might bend for that. I just think that this team could use a playmaker on offense other than Andre. I know Moulds is here but for how long? Davis isn't a team leader and Bush would end up being the face of the Franchise.

People laugh when I say this but I believe that by having Reggie Bush it will catapult us to being in the playoffs as the NFL would have to put that guy into the playoffs some way or the other. I just see us getting a few more calls our way than before. I know laugh if you will, but after last seasons playoffs I am convinced the NFL does alot to help teams get where they want them to be.

Goatcheese
04-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Williams is rated by most scouts right now as the #2 prospect in the draft, just slightly behind Bush. What this means is that if we trade down, we'd really only be able to go to #2 and still be sure we could pick him up. Since we haven't started any negotiations with Ferguson or Hawk, I'm pretty sure the meeting with Williams was an indication that he would be #1 if we decided to go defense

The Dolphins didn't bring in R.Brown before the draft in an effort to hide their draft strategy. I don't think we can read much into who the Texans bring in and who they contact under the radar. I think this team needs D'brick or Hawk more than Williams, Bush or Young, and would love a trade down. Our linebacking corps has Cowart(temporary fix) and a bunch of nobodys, and it looks like we might start Wand at LT. :eek:

I just hope he's there as a place holder for D'brick or mayby Winston Justice if we trade down farther.

Compair our D-line: Babin, Smith,Payne,Weaver; Vs our Linebackers: Greenwood, Cowart, Orr. :thumbdown:

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 12:30 AM
The Dolphins didn't bring in R.Brown before the draft in an effort to hide their draft strategy. I don't think we can read much into who the Texans bring in and who they contact under the radar. I think this team needs D'brick or Hawk more than Williams, Bush or Young, and would love a trade down. Our linebacking corps has Cowart(temporary fix) and a bunch of nobodys, and it looks like we might start Wand at LT. :eek:

I just hope he's there as a place holder for D'brick or mayby Winston Justice if we trade down farther.

Compair our D-line: Babin, Smith,Payne,Weaver; Vs our Linebackers: Greenwood, Cowart, Orr. :thumbdown:

Poor TJ ! You forgot all about him. That's how bad that pick was. DJ and Hawk:pigfly: Oh man that would have been something.

Sarg01
04-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Poor TJ ! You forgot al;l about him. That's how bad that pick was. DJ and Hawk:pigfly: Oh man that would have been something.

TJ will impress this year. He was the best D-linesman in that draft class. The problem is he was exclusively a 4-3 guy. There was no way he made even a little sense in a 3-4. You need two-gappers for the DEs in the 3-4 (and a monster for the NT).

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 12:47 AM
I have a feeling TJ is going to be great for us next year....i still believe us moving down and picking up TJ for that 3rd was still a good decision. Hindsight is 20/20 and we didn't know about the 4-3 switch then....we thought we were going to the playoffs. Anyways....TJ did an alright job when he played out of position anyways and its not like DJ just tore it up and won ROTY

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
I have a feeling TJ is going to be great for us next year....i still believe is moving down and picking up TJ for that 3rd was still a good decision. Hindsight is 20/20 and we didn't know about the 4-3 switch then....we thought we were going to the playoffs. Anyways....TJ did an alright job when he played out of position anyways and its not like DJ just tore it up and won ROTY
Como?? Yeah DJ was terrible last year. :pigfly: I am going to support TJ as long as he plays for us.

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Como??

What didn't you understand?

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 01:12 AM
"It's not like DJ tore it up"

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Well if you want to be an *** lets go ahead and finish the quote i actually said and its not like DJ just tore it up and won ROTY now did he win ROTY?? Is that hard for you to understand? He did good....actually he did real good....better than TJ....but I'm just saying we had no clue we were going to be switching our defensive scheme completely...and that 3rd rounder sure is going to come in handy for this draft after our absolute **** year wont it?

Como?? Yeah DJ was terrible last year. I am going to support TJ as long as he plays for us.

I didn't say anything like DJ was terrible and trying to take things others say and blow them out of proportion to make them look dumb works better when the actual REAL wording isn't right above your exaggeration. just a tip in case you don't understand how this whole 'permanent text' message board thing goes.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 02:30 AM
Aww Poor little guy. I think it's past your bedtime..run along.

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 02:53 AM

LOL. thats what you have to say back. i always hated people saying this but i'm pretty sure when all you can muster is a 'aww poor little guy....' statement thats about as close to getting 'owned' on a post as possible. LOL. thats the only thing you could think of? you could have at least countered with another really misinformed, unintelligent post about football again i'm sure?!

Goatcheese
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Poor TJ ! You forgot all about him. That's how bad that pick was. DJ and Hawk:pigfly: Oh man that would have been something.

I was only listing the players I think will start.

I don't think the TJ pick was that bad. They just ticked everyone off by not taking DJ when he fell from being the 2nd best player in the draft to #13. TJ should improve in a 4-3, with the benifit of competent coaches. I like his attitude and hope to see him excell and become a starter by mid season.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 01:40 PM
LOL. thats what you have to say back. i always hated people saying this but i'm pretty sure when all you can muster is a 'aww poor little guy....' statement thats about as close to getting 'owned' on a post as possible. LOL. thats the only thing you could think of? you could have at least countered with another really misinformed, unintelligent post about football again i'm sure?!
Where did I give you false information? TJ is not as good as DJ (different Positions ofcourse). That withstanding, I blame the pick on Capers. I did not want to argue with you about what is in the past.No offense but you have not owned anyone.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I was only listing the players I think will start.

I don't think the TJ pick was that bad. They just ticked everyone off by not taking DJ when he fell from being the 2nd best player in the draft to #13. TJ should improve in a 4-3, with the benifit of competent coaches. I like his attitude and hope to see him excell and become a starter by mid season.

DJ was NOT the 2nd best player in the draft, sorry.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM

Who was the BEST player in last year's draft?

Errant Hothy
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Who was the BEST player in last year's draft?

Ronnie Brown, imho.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
D.Ware was pretty good for the cowboys but I agree with you . Ronnie was the best player picked last year.

Goatcheese
04-18-2006, 06:35 PM

He was #2 on most rankings(not mocks) until a few weeks before the draft, when he started to slip from nit picking. Obviously he wasn't rated the 2nd best player at draft time if 13 teams passed on him before KC.

PokerStar
04-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Best player in the draft last year, was Shawne Merrimen followed by Carnel Williams. With Ware, DJ, and the injured CB Darrent Williams trying to catch them. Sorry forgot Tatupu and Odell Thurman. That would make DJ the what third or fourth best LB.

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Where did I give you false information? TJ is not as good as DJ (different Positions ofcourse). That withstanding, I blame the pick on Capers. I did not want to argue with you about what is in the past.No offense but you have not owned anyone.

Well then don't use a computer to try and play daddy.

Ronnie Brown was the best player taken last year, no doubt in my mind, guy is a pretty large and strong back...and with sub 4.4 speed.

swtbound07
04-18-2006, 09:23 PM

Ronnie Brown was the best player taken last year, no doubt in my mind, guy is a pretty large and strong back...and with sub 4.4 speed.

Caddilac carries tampa bay...we can argue till the death, but caddilac is the better of those 2 in my opinion.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Yeah ok Big Guy.Try not to be such a internet ganster.

I like Ronnie but Caddy was a great edition to the Bucs.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Caddilac carries tampa bay...we can argue till the death, but caddilac is the better of those 2 in my opinion.

Double Ture! On the fact that Caddilac carries the Bucs', and on teh fact that we could argue those two forever.

But it be safe to say that we all agree that DJ was not teh 2nd best player in last year's draft, right?

Seņor Stan
04-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Double Ture! On the fact that Caddilac carries the Bucs', and on teh fact that we could argue those two forever.

But it be safe to say that DJ we all agree that DJ was not teh 2nd best player in last year's draft, right?

Are you trying to say that the 15th player taken overall wasn't the 2nd best player in the draft?

HATER!

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah ok Big Guy.Try not to be such a internet ganster.

I like Ronnie but Caddy was a great edition to the Bucs.

lol. your crazy man....how is me telling you not to play 'internet daddy' equate to me being an 'internet gangster?'....and besides you were the one who started trying to demean someone by telling me to 'go to bed' and some stupid excuse like that because you didn't have a damn thing else to say.

and yeah we can argue all day who means more to their team R. Brown or Cadillac....but your crazy if you think Cadillac is the same quality 'player'. And that was the question was it not....who was the 'better player' in the draft, not who meant more to their team.

El Amigo Invisible
04-19-2006, 01:07 AM
lol. your crazy man....how is me telling you not to play 'internet daddy' equate to me being an 'internet gangster?'....and besides you were the one who started trying to demean someone by telling me to 'go to bed' and some stupid excuse like that because you didn't have a damn thing else to say.

and yeah we can argue all day who means more to their team R. Brown or Cadillac....but your crazy if you think Cadillac is the same quality 'player'. And that was the question was it not....who was the 'better player' in the draft, not who meant more to their team.

I already said Ronnie was the best player in that draft.Caddy meant alot to his team but Ronnie was better.I thought that the Bucs getting to pick 5th too good to be true for them and they made the right choice.

JAXwithanX
04-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Sorry i didn't see where you had put anything about Ronnie. But yes the Bucs did definitely make the right choice with Cadillac. Pittman and Co. just weren't hacking it anymore....Pittman should go find David Boston and start like a....bodybuilding weight-lifting club for ex-NFL'ers.

Chicagotexan1
04-19-2006, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=mexican_texan]I gave up burgers and soda.

QUOTE]

I gave up turnips and Turkey Livers. Hey, at least I knew I could follow through on it.

U4ikrob
04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Welcome back El-T - Hope you had some good time off.

Some really nifty moves in the off-season with the Texans - Flannagan, Moulds, Putzier, Weaver & Cook I think will be solid guys and Veteran starters that can come in and play the roles and fill the gaps we have been missing in this team for some time. A legite #2 WR, Starting Center, Starting DE and Starting Full back along with a good Pass catching TE who allready knows the offense - I think all these additions will help this team gel a whole lot coming into camp and will give us a good shot at finally competing as a team and perhaps breaking a .500 record this year if we can stay healthy. Mixed with the great coaching changes and a few good drafts this team I think will actually start to compete alot better in games for the next several years.

El Tejano
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Is anybody questioning at all why we spent so much on a FB when we have a pretty darn good one in Norris already?

Vinny
04-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Is anybody questioning at all why we spent so much on a FB when we have a pretty darn good one in Norris already?No. There are two different types of fullbacks in the NFL. The WCO uses FB's who have great hands and can catch the ball with skill and Norris is more of a smash-mouth lead back type.

El Tejano
04-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I guess that is what I was kind of figuring. I also think Cook will be able to fill that role that Wells will be leaving.

touttail
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
You can see it now, another number 1 RB selected and holding out.
They need to sign and have their butt in camp!
I agree they should be paid well but not all the way to the moon. Some of these salaries are getting a tad ridiculous!

Bobby 119C

touttail
04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Okay. So I gave up Houstontexans.com for lent like a good Catholic boy. I tell you what, that was a real hard thing to do esepecially with all the deals the Texans have made. When we were doing the Eric Moulds deal I was pulling my hair out trying to see what everyone thought of the deal as well as the other deals.

So here is my point to my thread since I want to do some catching up. What all do yall think about our offseason?

Do you or don't you like the deals for Anthony Weaver, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, Eric Moulds? Do you think any of these players will make an immediate impact to our team? Is there any of the no names we got going to be of any significance? Talk to me yall I missed yall.:crying:

BTW-welcome back Tejano!

Bobby 119C:ok:

Runner
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
You can see it now, another number 1 RB selected and holding out.
They need to sign and have their butt in camp!
I agree they should be paid well but not all the way to the moon. Some of these salaries are getting a tad ridiculous!

Bobby 119C

It is usually in the best interest of the player not to hold out. They need to learn the NFL game.

I thought there was some worry that Andre Johnson would hold out when we picked him. Right after Dre signed his rookie contract, his uncle/agent said that there was no need to hold out for more money, because they were already getting a lot of money. He thought it was important to be in camp and start working.

It is refreshing to see an athlete resist the greed when he's already making such an astronomical sum.

Coach C.
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Runner do you feel Reggie will be like this. I think he will ask for a large sum, but will agree to the deal in place. He seems like a guy that really wants to play, and he will want to be on the field. Mario seems the same way to me, btw who do you think will get the higher salary at number 1. Generally DE are valued a slight higher than RBs, but RBs have gotten some serious contracts in the last two years.

Runner
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Runner do you feel Reggie will be like this. I think he will ask for a large sum, but will agree to the deal in place. He seems like a guy that really wants to play, and he will want to be on the field. Mario seems the same way to me, btw who do you think will get the higher salary at number 1. Generally DE are valued a slight higher than RBs, but RBs have gotten some serious contracts in the last two years.

I have no idea what Reggie will do or what any of these draftees are like for that matter. I don't have enough information on them.

However, I fear with egos being what they are that the rookies and their agents are starting to think that the salaries for the very high first round draft picks are "position independent". In other words the #1-4 draft picks should make x% more than the person in that draft slot last year, regardless of position.

Of course throughout the draft people want to make more than the person drafted immediately behind them, so that also enhances a position independent salary structure.

Kellen Winslow Jr. was a good example of this recently - he broke all kinds of tight end salary records, if I recall correctly.

Again, I'm sure most players will be eager to get to camp and will realize 10s of millions of dollars is an acceptable wage. There will be a few who want 10s of millions + 1 more million though. Hopefully the Texans avoid the latter.

El Tejano
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Judging by the work Reggie has put in to solidify his #1 status and to increase his speed and all that. I am sure he will be in camp. He seems to want to prove people wrong about his ability to be an every down back.