PDA

View Full Version : So what's our cap situation going to be after this offseason?

phan1
04-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, all I can say is it was real nice being under the cap headed into this offseason, especially with the near-scare of the NFL bargaining agreements and stuff. But it kinda feels like we're going to wake up more broke than the bride's father after her daughter's wedding. We were pretty busy in FA, and it didn't feel like we got rid of many people on our roster, though GWalker will give us some cap room. We still got to sign the 1st overall pick, and the 1st pick of the 2nd round. That doesn't sound cheap. We also re-signed Carr. I'm a total Carr supporter, but it looks like we are really over-paying this guy. We just gave him his extention on a silver platter! Despite the fact that I want him to succeed and be the QB of our franchise, I didn't really feel like he earned in on the football field. Hopefully, Carr will make me eat those words. And I can name a handful of players on our team that are also getting overpaid as well.

What do you guys think? I'm not a big number-crunching type of guy, so your opinion will likely be much better than mine.

gtexan02
04-14-2006, 01:42 AM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

That should help

jjackknife
04-14-2006, 01:56 AM
phan1... what do you do for a living? are you sure you're not overpaid?? I know I am! Something to think about before complaining what other's are making... never-the-less... overpaid Texans (low return/cap) excluding Carr (on the bubble):
Wade $5.2M
Smith $4.8M
Wiegert $4.2M
Greenwood $4.0M
Payne $4.0M
Wong $3.2M
K. Brown $1.6M
Faggins $1.3M
Bruener $1.0M
DeLoach $1.0M
Joppru $0.9M
Norris $0.9M

underpaid (hi return/cap):
C.C. Brown $0.3M
Earl $0.5M
Polk $0.7M

will leave the new boys alone till the end of next year.... as you can see (imho) the overs outweigh (literally) the unders... (that's bad).

phan1
04-14-2006, 02:24 AM
phan1... what do you do for a living? are you sure you're not overpaid?? I know I am! Something to think about before complaining what other's are making... never-the-less... overpaid Texans (low return/cap) excluding Carr (on the bubble):

I think I do have a good reason to say if a player is overpaid. Why? Because I'm a Houston Texans fan! And if a player is overpaid, that affects the cap, which affects the number quality of players on this team. Why did Edge leave the Colts? Because they couldn't afford him because of Peyton Manning. It's not like I'm calling out somebody just to call out somebody, and it's not a personal attack in any way. It's all about the Houston Texans organization and winning games. That's like saying I can't ever criticize Carr cause I'll never be 10% the QB he is.

Marcus
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I think I do have a good reason to say if a player is overpaid. Why? Because I'm a Houston Texans fan! And if a player is overpaid, that affects the cap, which affects the number quality of players on this team. Why did Edge leave the Colts? Because they couldn't afford him because of Peyton Manning. It's not like I'm calling out somebody just to call out somebody, and it's not a personal attack in any way. It's all about the Houston Texans organization and winning games. That's like saying I can't ever criticize Carr cause I'll never be 10% the QB he is.

If you don't happen to think that the player in question is playing up to your expectations, then naturally you're going to think that player is overpaid. It goes hand in hand.

So therefore, in order to not overpay him, then you think that player shouldn't have been signed to begin with. But you didn't know that player wasn't going to play up to your expectations to begin with

Bottom line. Any 2-14 team is going to have "overpaid" players.

MightyTExan
04-14-2006, 09:14 AM
What about Mathis? I didn't see him on the list. Should we expect him ask for more money because of his performance last season?

dalemurphy
04-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Wade $5.2M
Smith $4.8M
Wiegert $4.2M
Greenwood $4.0M
Payne $4.0M
Wong $3.2M
K. Brown $1.6M
Faggins $1.3M
Bruener $1.0M
DeLoach $1.0M
Joppru $0.9M
Norris $0.9M

underpaid (hi return/cap):
C.C. Brown $0.3M
Earl $0.5M
Polk $0.7M

will leave the new boys alone till the end of next year.... as you can see (imho) the overs outweigh (literally) the unders... (that's bad).

We're coming off a 2-14 season. Of course the majority of the players appear overpaid.

newbiefan
04-14-2006, 09:53 AM
What do y'all think the total cap figure of all this year's drafted players will be?

infantrycak
04-14-2006, 10:28 AM
What do y'all think the total cap figure of all this year's drafted players will be?

The rookie pool for the draft picks will be around $6 mil based on allocations from recent drafts.

jjackknife
04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
We're coming off a 2-14 season. Of course the majority of the players appear overpaid.

Highest cap hit on the team.... AJ ($7.4M)... also, DD ($3.8M)...etc... NOT drastically overpaid.... NOT drastically underpaid.
Last year's record is not my basis for views... nor is the list a judgement (lest i be judged)... it is just an observation of said players performance vs his Cap hit. Notice we have much more underperformers than overperformers... hence 2-14. How else would you propose a $90M+ payroll turned out to be 2-14? I suppose you say it was entirely Capers fault (blame the guy who can't defend himself, cause he's not here)

bckey
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
phan1... what do you do for a living? are you sure you're not overpaid?? I know I am! Something to think about before complaining what other's are making... never-the-less... overpaid ).

I don't know what you consider overpaid but there is a difference in being paid an hourly wage living paycheck to paycheck as opposed to contracts that are like hitting the lottery.

Then try and take your family to an NFL game and you are out some serious cash.

newbiefan
04-14-2006, 01:23 PM
The rookie pool for the draft picks will be around $6 mil based on allocations from recent drafts.

Really? That seems kinda low. I thought the 1st pick alone (not getting into who that will be) would be around a 5 mil cap hit.

Hardcore Texan
04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=jjackknife]phan1... what do you do for a living? are you sure you're not overpaid?? I know I am!
QUOTE]

Must be nice. That is a gripe I would love to have.

You wouldn't happen to be looking for a co-worker would ya? :)

gtexan02
04-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I'd guess at least 7 million to the rookies. If Bush gets a 6 year deal at 55 million with $25 guaranteed (which people have been claiming) that puts him at at least 4 million in bonus plus salary which will probably be pretty small (maybe 1 millino). Thats 5, plus the 2nd, two 3rds, 4th, 6th, and 7th

aj.
04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
The 49ers rookie pool last year was $6.2 million with Smith and 10 other players. I would expect the Texans rookie pool this year with Bush and 6 other players to be about the same.

Even though Smith got 24 million guaranteed, it wasn't all signing bonus. The majority is roster and other bonuses that need to be accounted for but didn't hit proportionally in the first year. Some of his base may even have been guaranteed which has become a trend in big time NFL deals. I've read where Smith's contract is something like 90 pages long. If it's anything like other big time NFL deals there's insurance policies and all kinds of other crap involved like options, buybacks and voidable years so a simple cap figure is sometimes hard to calculate.

Smith's base salary last year was only 500k and his base this year is only a million. I think his cap hit in '05 was around 3.5 million and I'm sure there's a substantial roster or option bonus this year.

phan1
04-14-2006, 09:11 PM
OK guys, I'm really dumb with salaries and caps and stuff. And looking at the actual numbers, it doesn't look like Carr was getting as much money as I thought he was. It was probably more of the fact that we have really catered to this guy ever since he came to Houston, probably rightfully so as he's been nothing but a class act. Maybe out of guilt for not giving him a real chance to succeed? That being said, can someone give a broad generalization of "good, fair, or bad" about our cap situation after the end of the offseason.

The very last thing I want to see happen is for us to be in cap hell (ie Titans, 49ers, and I think the Jets too).

tex
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
I don't really understand the money part very well.Do we get money back when players are cut from the team in training camp?

Kaiser Toro
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
not the end all be all, but this link spells out the cap in layman's terms

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

MightyTExan
04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
What about Mathis? I didn't see him on the list. Should we expect him to ask for more money because of his performance last season?

whiskeyrbl
04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe we take our #1,#33,#65, and trade the rest for next years draft picks. Not that sure how the cap is but would that be something that could realisticly be considered?

Kaiser Toro
04-18-2006, 01:56 PM
What about Mathis? I didn't see him on the list. Should we expect him to ask for more money because of his performance last season?

If you are speaking about the HPF list, he is there, he is probably outside of the top 53 salaries at the moment, scroll down a little and you should see him

MightyTExan
04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks!

Mathis, Jerome 2007 $350,000 $118,720 $468,720
After a pro bowl rookie season, do you think he desrves a better contract?

texman8
04-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks!

Mathis, Jerome 2007 $350,000 $118,720 $468,720
After a pro bowl rookie season, do you think he desrves a better contract?

Not yet....right now JM is just a KR....if he proves capable of being a #2 WR; then he has some ammo to renegotiate.

PokerStar
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
JM and CC both got nice salaries last year for reaching play and performance bonuses. So I think Mathis is ok right now, he has made more money this year then he ever thought he would.