PDA

View Full Version : Power back

Meloy
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
One of the complaints I had last year was not having a back that could consistently pick up 2-3 yards on third and short or goal line. I truly hate most passes in the red zone. With Wells probably gone, what will be the option? Is this a need in 5th or 6th round? Of course, Carr has taken one or two in...

mexican_texan
04-13-2006, 03:59 PM
What about Robaire Smith? he played FB for a while in the preseason. Kind of like the Fridge.

gtexan02
04-13-2006, 06:16 PM
If I remember correctly, that was an experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong (1st and 1 at the goal, 2nd and 1 at the goal, 3rd and 1 at the goal, 4th and 1 at the goal, turnover....)

mexican_texan
04-13-2006, 06:48 PM
If I remember correctly, that was an experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong (1st and 1 at the goal, 2nd and 1 at the goal, 3rd and 1 at the goal, 4th and 1 at the goal, turnover....)
yup. It was a four and out and some extra downs.

vtech9
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
it went wrong, but I seriously doubt it was Robaire's fault. I believe the fault was in the coaching. Robaire leveled the guys he blocked, but he went after the wrong guys. To me, that is a couching issue. It just looked like he didn't know who he was supposed to block.

Blake
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Bush will be our short yardage back.

Either that, or get Vickers in the draft.

gtexan02
04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Bush isn't a short yardage guy. Neither is DD, really. Although if youll check, DD has an incredibly successful goaline carry average

mexican_texan
04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Bush isn't a short yardage guy. Neither is DD, really. Although if youll check, DD has an incredibly successful goaline carry average
I thought we drafted him to be our third down back?

TexanFan881
04-13-2006, 09:41 PM
How about we use Moran Norris or Jameel Cook to be our short yardage back :shrug:

Keldar
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
See....now, Bush can get 2 to 3 yards just by vaulting over the pile.:)

mexican_texan
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
How about we use Moran Norris or Jameel Cook to be our short yardage back :shrug:
I think Moran had one carry all season

TexanFan881
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I think Moran had one carry all season

I know I'm just throwing it out there :)

sakebomb
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
If your looking for a power back they better stay away from Lendale White. That tub of lard can't get two yards on fourth down in the Rose Bowl much less the NFL. :stirpot:

Wharton
04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Bush isn't a short yardage guy.
Hog wash!!!

Bush has to get past the first yard before he can pick up the second, third, forth, etc......If you can't pick up one yard, then he can't pick up 20. Just because Bush is not expected to be a "between the tackles runner" doesn't mean we shouldn't use him in short yardage.

Texans86
04-14-2006, 01:04 AM
What about Robaire Smith? he played FB for a while in the preseason. Kind of like the Fridge.

Unfortunately, I think Smith only got a chance to block on that set of downs. It was funny, because he blocked extremely well, but someone else was able to hit the back. He ended up in the endzone everytime after his block, so it probably would have been better if he had just taken the ball himself. I think it's a distinct possibility, if the new staff thinks he is capable of holding on to the ball. I think he'd be a great short yardage back, he's pretty quick for a big guy, and doesn't look like he's afraid to hit someone. I always wondered why big guys didn't get some carries since they can be hard to get down.

powerfuldragon
04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
edit: it was supposed to be in another thread.

Big78
04-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Hog wash!!!

Bush has to get past the first yard before he can pick up the second, third, forth, etc......If you can't pick up one yard, then he can't pick up 20. Just because Bush is not expected to be a "between the tackles runner" doesn't mean we shouldn't use him in short yardage.

I agree that bush will be able to run between the tackles better than people think, but what makes short yardage different is that they stack the box and put 8 or 9 guys right at the line. u have to either be really strong or really slippery to get through, and some backs are really good at getting those yards (Domanic Davis in my opinion) and some just dont seem to ever pick the right gap or make the right move to get there, Reggie Bush hasnt proven that he can do that, yet. (but i do think he will be better at it than people think he will be.)

Coach C.
04-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Look for DD or Jameel Cook to get the call in those stacked situations. DD and Bush have somewhat similar styles of running while in traffic, but DD is a bit more powerful, likely due to his compact build, so look for him to get the call early and then Jameel Cook if DD cannot get the job done.

MorKnolle
04-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Look for DD or Jameel Cook to get the call in those stacked situations. DD and Bush have somewhat similar styles of running while in traffic, but DD is a bit more powerful, likely due to his compact build, so look for him to get the call early and then Jameel Cook if DD cannot get the job done.

Agreed. I don't expect to ever see Robaire Smith in the offensive backfield for us.

Meloy
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
No one mentioned TE Mark Breuner @ 6'4"260 lbs and has "some" experience with ball in his hands. Is that a possibility? No one thinks we should use a 6th or our last 7th for a 'bruiser' type? Well, I hope this is not as big as a concern as I first thought.

Ibar_Harry
04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Agreed. I don't expect to ever see Robaire Smith in the offensive backfield for us.

Here's some information from the Texan's web site concerning his high school days.

"PERSONAL: Single, lives in Houston…has a daughter, Jada Zaire…Parade All-America selection as a senior at Flint (MI) High School…earned first-team all-state honors with 92 tackles and 11 sacks…also caught 17 passes for 297 yards and six TDs…"

I thought he played back in addition and that's why the Texans wanted to use him as a power back like the refrig. He might make a big TE. He does have hands. Could you see him coming out of the backfield for a pass in the red zone. I don't think I would want to get in this way.

Runner
04-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I though he played back in addition and that's why the Texans wanted to use him as a power back like the refrig. He might make a big TE. He does have hands. Could you see him coming out of the backfield for a pass in the red zone. I don't think I would want to get in this way.

I want to be good enough that we don't have to resort to such devices.

Ibar_Harry
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
I want to be good enough that we don't have to resort to such devices.

Yes, but it would be a nice change of pace wouldn't it. Might be a little bit intimidating too.

Hardcore Texan
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
I too, can see Cook filling this role.

TreWardTxn
04-14-2006, 02:44 PM
I agree that bush will be able to run between the tackles better than people think, but what makes short yardage different is that they stack the box and put 8 or 9 guys right at the line. u have to either be really strong or really slippery to get through, and some backs are really good at getting those yards (Domanic Davis in my opinion) and some just dont seem to ever pick the right gap or make the right move to get there, Reggie Bush hasnt proven that he can do that, yet. (but i do think he will be better at it than people think he will be.)

Whether he can really do it or not isn't the issue so much as, it wouldn't be wise to ask him to take that type of contact, that's what Davis' new role will be, to get used up...

If anyone watched ESPN's Draft Special last night, they heard the panel talk about how Bush doesn't get hit much because he is so elusive. If that is largely true, then it is safe to say that Bush will be taking hits that he didn't even experience at the collegiate level; no matter how good he is, he will be getting hit. Bush will be our gamebreaker, and Davis will be the closest thing we have to a bruiser; I wouldn't use Cook, because hopefully he will be lead blocking...

MorKnolle
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Whether he can really do it or not isn't the issue so much as, it wouldn't be wise to ask him to take that type of contact, that's what Davis' new role will be, to get used up...

If anyone watched ESPN's Draft Special last night, they heard the panel talk about how Bush doesn't get hit much because he is so elusive. If that is largely true, then it is safe to say that Bush will be taking hits that he didn't even experience at the collegiate level; no matter how good he is, he will be getting hit. Bush will be our gamebreaker, and Davis will be the closest thing we have to a bruiser; I wouldn't use Cook, because hopefully he will be lead blocking...

I somewhat agree with your stance on Bush, he will run up the middle a lot more than people are expecting mainly because you can't be real successful in the NFL by trying to run outside all the time, but in those tougher grind-it-out type of runs we will probably use Davis on those more so he can absorb more of the contact/abuse. As for Jameel Cook, in short yardage power situations we could hand off to him with Moran Norris as the lead blocker, assuming we keep both on the roster, which I think is a pretty likely scenario.

Meloy
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM

Reminds me of what was said about a young Cassius Clay later known as Ali. "Yeah but can he take a hit? Wait until Liston (or whomever) unloads a punch to his jaw." Well, the greatest boxer of all time rarely got hit in the jaw. Maybe, just maybe Bush elusiveness will keep him out of harms way for the most part in NFL.

TreWardTxn
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I appreciate you giving Ali his props, as you know people thought he was a soft pretty-boy, and 'cause he ran his mouth so much they certainly wanted his jaw broken. However, incredibly quick as Ali was, if he had 11 pairs of arms swinging at him, he might have got hit in the jaw a few times. Maybe...

Either way, all I'm saying is that their isn't, never was, and never will be a running back that doesn't get hit and take punishment. Eventually they go the Franco Harris route, or man up like Campbell, but they know what that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday soreness feels like.

bad
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
...all I'm saying is that their isn't, never was, and never will be a running back that doesn't get hit and take punishment. Eventually they go the Franco Harris route, or man up like Campbell, but they know what that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday soreness feels like. LOL. Since the late '70s my brother has used that term whenever a runningback would run out of bounds instead of taking the hit and picking up max yardage (or possibly breaking a tackle).

That phrase should be a Maddenism.

CaptainPatriot
04-15-2006, 04:29 PM

How many times did Carr throw the ball to the TE in those situations? Or a RB out of the back field? Look at the top teams PATS ,Eagles ETC. See their 3rd down ratios of pass to run. I played football way back in the day (Safety)the toughest play to defend is play action! Because you have to respect the run. 1 of your keys is to watch the TE on the snap.So if the TE blocks down for a sec looks like a run then he releases to the back of the end zone. That play is Hard to cover.