PDA

View Full Version : Arrington, Woodson, and Law Still Out There: Are We Interested?

jerek
04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Didn't see anything on this recently, so I thought I would mention it.

Arrington, Woodson, and Law are still unsigned. I know Woodson and Arrington are considered problem children in their own right, and are asking for a lot of money, but assuming that either (a) you believe they are worth it, or (b) they drop their asking price, would you be interested?

I like Arrington, the Redskins' complaints be damned, and I think he could do well here with a fresh start. He is a freak of nature athletically who has plenty left in his tank. IMO Law is too old but there is nothing says he couldn't play nickel for us and school the young guys. Not sure about Woodson.

Your takes?

Kirwan briefly mentions the three at http://nfl.com/news/story/9370645

chuckm
04-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Aren't those guys represented by the Postons? Any collelation between still being available and their representation?

thetexanator
04-12-2006, 04:24 PM
i dont see any reason for these guys to want to come to the texans. theyre all old and probably want to go to a contender. BUT, id take ty law for two years at 5 mil each.

TommyS
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Aren't those guys represented by the Postons? Any collelation between still being available and their representation?

from profootballtalk.com
"ARRINGTON PUTTING HEAT ON POSTONS?

There's talk in league circles that linebacker LaVar Arrington is putting some pressure on agents Carl and Kevin Poston based on their failure to get him a long-term contract on the free-agent market.

Arrington gave up $4.4 million in earned but unpaid bonus money with the Redskins in order to hit the market four months earlier than he otherwise would have. We assumed at the time that the Postons had a new deal in their back pockets that would have paid Arrington the $4.4 million, and a lot more, up front.

But days have become weeks and Arrington still is waiting for someone to offer the kind of money that his agents have been demanding.

The problem, as we see it, is that Arrington has unrealistic expectations -- and that the Postons have done nothing to rein him in. For example, they apparently didn't spend any time gauging the market for Arrington, possibly because they have pissed off so many teams over the years that no one is willing to give them insights as to what their guy can expect to get paid. With that information, the Postons could have gone back to Arrington and explained to him that what he wants and what he'll get are two different things.

Sure, there's a chance that Arrington would have reacted negatively, and possibly would have fired them. But if they're now on track to be fired anyway, the Postons could have spent their time trying to get their other high-profile, high-expectations clients (Charles Woodson and Ty Law) under contract.

Before they get new agents, too."

LBblitz
04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
We still have four first day draft picks to sign, I just dont think we have enough money to go after any of these guys.

PapaL
04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
i dont see any reason for these guys to want to come to the texans. theyre all old and probably want to go to a contender. BUT, id take ty law for two years at 5 mil each.

So you pick the oldest one of the three?

run-david-run
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
No, he picked the only player who went to the Pro Bowl last year!

Trap_Star
04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I would'nt might signing Charles Woodson and converting him to a Free-Safety. Then we could have a chance at drafting Antonio Cromartie with our 2nd pick.....:drool:
Our secondary would be Cromartie and Robinson at corner, and Woodson and Brown at safety....:)

TexanFan881
04-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I like the idea of Ty Law the most. A DB combo of Dunta, Law, and Buchanon (who I see improving next year) will be great. Ty Law has been an impact player no matter what team he's on.

kiwitexansfan
04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
No thanks, I will pass on all three.

I want to build for the future with good team players.

I would like to see players in these positions addressed in the draft however.

MorKnolle
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM

No way I'd pay Law that much at his age. I'd prefer us to have just kept Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind Arrington if he's going to play within the system our coaches have and Woodson would be an interestig addition as a decent CB/FS (can you imagine a defense of Anthony Weaver at LE, Robaire Smith and Seth Payne at DT, Mario WIlliams at RE, then Arrington at SLB, Wong at MLB, and Orr/Greenwood at WLB, then Dunta and a Johnathan Joseph/Cromartie/Youboty at CB, Woodson at FS, and Brown/Earl at SS), but considering it's this late in free agency and they apparently haven't made any attempts at any of these three guys I doubt we are interested at all. We also probably don't have the cap room to sign one of them at the rate they are likely seeking and still be able to afford all of our rookies.

As a side note, a lot of players would like to come to Houston if the price is right, it is a great city, we have no state income tax, we have a new and seemingly dynamic coaching staff and great facilities. A month ago not many people thought Eric Moulds would choose us over the Eagles and whoever else was pursuing him.

TexanFan881
04-12-2006, 08:34 PM
No thanks, I will pass on all three.

I want to build for the future with good team players.

I would like to see players in these positions addressed in the draft however.

So you can't get one of these three players and develop new players behind them for the future from the draft at the same time...

TexanFan881
04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
No way I'd pay Law that much at his age. I'd prefer us to have just kept Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind Arrington if he's going to play within the system our coaches have and Woodson would be an interestig addition as a decent CB/FS, but considering it's this late in free agency and they apparently haven't made any attempts at any of these three guys I doubt we are interested at all. We also probably don't have the cap room to sign one of them at the rate they are likely seeking and still be able to afford all of our rookies.

I know, hoping we can sign any of these three is being a little greedy after such a great offseason...:redtowel:

JAXwithanX
04-13-2006, 02:07 AM
...Lavar Arrington isn't what i would call 'old.' He is going to be a great linebacker for somebody....and probably be worth the contract. But the fact is we don't have the money for any of these guys.

Texans Horror
04-13-2006, 07:57 AM
I'd pass on them in favor of young blood. I don't want the Texans to become like the Raiders, a black hole where good athletes go to pasture...

TheOgre
04-13-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd wait until after the June 1st cuts and see if you can get one of those three on a discount. That is the Patriots and Eagles way of doing business.

Texas
04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Only one I'd even want is Arrington...Too bad we need to save our $$ for the draft.

Texans Horror
04-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm happy with us saving our money for Reggie Bush.

CaptainPatriot
04-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Didn't see anything on this recently, so I thought I would mention it.

Arrington, Woodson, and Law are still unsigned. I know Woodson and Arrington are considered problem children in their own right, and are asking for a lot of money, but assuming that either (a) you believe they are worth it, or (b) they drop their asking price, would you be interested?

I like Arrington, the Redskins' complaints be damned, and I think he could do well here with a fresh start. He is a freak of nature athletically who has plenty left in his tank. IMO Law is too old but there is nothing says he couldn't play nickel for us and school the young guys. Not sure about Woodson.

Your takes?

Kirwan briefly mentions the three at http://nfl.com/news/story/9370645

Law want to much money! He will go to the highest bidder

Bronco Texan
04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd pass on them in favor of young blood. I don't want the Texans to become like the Raiders, a black hole where good athletes go to pasture...

I'm sorry but no young corner we draft is going to catch 10 ints. Yeah that is how many the old man Law caught last year. I want to win now and if we had a chance at Law I'd take it!

Texans Horror
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
You have a great argument. I think it is the reason we haven't gone for a D'Brick or Vince Young or any other "project pieces." McNair has said before that his goal is to win games now. But there has to be a certain amount of cohesiveness to a team. I'm not saying that picking up Law, Arrington, or Woodson would instantly make us the Houston Geriatrics. These are good players with some history left to write. But there has to be room for new players to grow in a system. Stockhome Syndrome can make a team good for one year, or blow it up (Redskins were a case in point a few years back).
I think the Front Office knows this and for that reason are trying to limit the number of veterans we have.

I'll be impressed if we go for Law. I dont' have a salary cap calculator, but we have renegotiated with Carr, added Moulds, Flanagan, and Weaver, and we will likely pick up Reggie Bush - with that in mind, it seems like we have done enough for one offseason.

ClintonPortis26
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
We didnt have any complaints. The reason he was benched was becuase he didnt know the system/plays and had a knee injury. We offered him like 4 mill but he wants 7 mill so he bought himself out of his contract and is trying to find a fresh start.

Texas_Thrill
04-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I would like Arrington....but not woodson or law. Both are on the wrong side of their 20's to invest heavily in them. Arrington still has 6 years at least left and can be a huge contributor right away. His Price Tag has to come down though.

TommyS
04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Stockhome Syndrome can make a team good for one year, or blow it up (Redskins were a case in point a few years back).
I.

can someone explain what he means by stockholme syndrome? last time i looked it was the phenomenom whereby hostages begin to sympathise/side with their abductors? how does this apply to the redskins?