PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers

StateChamps06
04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Since the new D is gonna be a 4-3, who are the big 3 LB's gonna be?

MorKnolle
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
As of right now probably Shantee Orr and Morlon Greenwood at OLB and Kailee Wong/Sam Cowart at MLB.

Runner
04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm sure the coaches have a first cut at a depth chart after the past couple of weeks. Too bad no one can spare a reporter to ask 'em.

BuffSoldier
04-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Greenwood and Wong Outside and Cowart at MLB

infantrycak
04-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Probably the only spot which is close to locked down at this point is Greenwood at WLB. SLB and MLB are up to training camp battles among Sam Cowart, Kailee Wong, Shantee Orr, Terry Pierce, Charlie Anderson and DaShon Polk.

wags
04-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Probably the only spot which is close to locked down at this point is Greenwood at WLB. SLB and MLB are up to training camp battles among Sam Cowart, Kailee Wong, Shantee Orr, Terry Pierce, Charlie Anderson and DaShon Polk.

Isn't Wong out until week 8 or so?

Texas
04-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Orr Cowart GreenWood

CoastalTexan
04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I want to see Orr more, it seemed he was the only player not going along with the losing plan. He was doing TOO good for the Texans.

tulexan
04-12-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm sure the coaches have a first cut at a depth chart after the past couple of weeks. Too bad no one can spare a reporter to ask 'em.

That is because neither Vince Young or Reggie Bush play LB

HJam72
04-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Isn't Wong out until week 8 or so?\
That's what I heard and I don't see how he's gonna beat out Cowart at MLB anyway. That seems like a lock to me.

infantrycak
04-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Isn't Wong out until week 8 or so?

Yeah, I should have included him as a next season wild card in the equation rather than a training camp battler.

Texans Horror
04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Cowart was brought in to add leadership to the linebacker corps, and with Wong out, he is the #1 fit into the MLB position (JMO). The stuff I have read about the guy indicates that he is well respected by his teammates, even if his numbers aren't the most impressive, but that could be due in part to the fact that he is injury-prone (the only aspect of this acquisition I don't like, especially since Wong is already out).

http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/mobile_story.php?story=5767774

For last year, he is listed as having 71 tackles and 2 sacks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=4299

I compared that with Orr and Greenwood's performances from 2005. Orr had 34 tackles and 7 sacks. Greenwood had 82 tackles and 2 sacks.

I hope the sack ratio increases with the shift to the 4-3.

keyfro
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
cowart will be the starter at MLB...greenwood will be the starter at the WLB...now the question is who is the starter at SLB...wong would be if he was healthy...i think we'll see a TC battle between orr and polk...maybe even rainer...then you throw in a draft pick possibily...should be a good training camp

done88
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
What if the Texans are planning on trading the first pick and nbringing in AJ Hawk. We need a sam backer and I would like to see him patrollong the fiels.

kcwilson
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
What if the Texans are planning on trading the first pick and nbringing in AJ Hawk. We need a sam backer and I would like to see him patrollong the fiels.

Name one realistic scenario where we bring in A.J. Hawk...

No one will trade up to #1, because they can trade to #2 and get what they want. If we to think about trading down, then with WHO? No one in there wants to trade up to #1. I think Hawk is a big time stretch.

Cowart and Greenwood seem solid starters. Orr is high powered and ought to get the best chance to start.

Rainier is depth, and as my brother is a Lions fan, said he is terrible in pass coverage, but was a good signing for providing depth.

Terry Pierce was an interesting signing... anyone have the background on him and the dirt as to why we grabbed him up so fast? Was he a Kub favorite in denver?

infantrycak
04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Terry Pierce was an interesting signing... anyone have the background on him and the dirt as to why we grabbed him up so fast? Was he a Kub favorite in denver?

Pierce was a mid 2nd round pick but has not had much playing time because the Broncos have 3 time in the last 4 years pro-bowler Al Wilson at MLB.

kcwilson
04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Pierce was a mid 2nd round pick but has not had much playing time because the Broncos have 3 time in the last 4 years pro-bowler Al Wilson at MLB.

Has to be more to the story to have signed him in mid-January... was he released or contract expired, or cut? It is just an odd timing to sign someone before Free agency period... there must be circumstances around him.

kcwilson
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
From http://www.thehuddle.com/nfl_team_rpts/20060313/around-DEN.php

"The Broncos used a 2003 second-round pick on Terry Pierce, but Pierce never developed and was released after two nondescript seasons. "

Seems to be a project of sorts, that used to have upside. Orr I think is our solid SLB.

Hardcore Texan
04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I think Orr has a lot of potential, he played with a lot of fire in his belly last year.

Who knows what training camp holds, but I like Orr, Cowart, Greenwood right now as starters.

DominickDavisFan76
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I want to see our LB that plays for the Berlin Thunder, his name is Andre Torrey

he is a true playmaker for NFL Europe, just watch him play

he is a LB that has a nose for the ball like Troy Polamaulu does, he will make in the NFL for sure

O yea we just re signed Kenneth Pettway y not give him a shot, I mean u paid him put him on the field.:cool:

kiwitexansfan
04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Cowart and Greenwood seem to be strong front runners at MLB and WLB respectively.

Now correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't the SLB have responsibilities for covering TE's in some schemes. Do we have a linebacker with those sort of skills?

MorKnolle
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I want to see our LB that plays for the Berlin Thunder, his name is Andre Torrey

he is a true playmaker for NFL Europe, just watch him play

he is a LB that has a nose for the ball like Troy Polamaulu does, he will make in the NFL for sure

O yea we just re signed Kenneth Pettway y not give him a shot, I mean u paid him put him on the field.:cool:

From what little I've seen of Torrey I like him, I think he'll make our final roster this year. We also signed Terry Pierce too who should make the roster, I don't see many of the holdovers from last year making it this year. We have 14 LBs on the roster as of this moment:

Troy Evans 6-3, 243 (hope he makes the roster, not especially skilled but plays with a lot of heart and energy)
Shantee Orr 6-0, 250 (will definitely make the roster, very possibly start at SLB, brings a lot of energy and some decent talent)
Kailee Wong 6-2, 250 (penciled in to be the starting MLB whenever he recovers from his knee injury)
Charlie Anderson 6-4, 243 (likey to make final roster, decent talent and work ethic)
DaShon Polk 6-2, 242 (not sure if he'll make the roster, was functional in his playing time last year so he will compete for a roster spot)
Morlon Greenwood 6-0, 238 (his contract will guarantee a roster spot, will likely start at WLB and hopefully perform better than he did last year)
Frank Chamberlin 6-1, 238 (doubt he makes the final roster)
Kenneth Pettway 6-4, 255 (might make final roster, not sure what to expect out of him yet)
Zeke Moreno 6-2, 235 (should make final roster and get some playing time)
Andre Torrey 6-4, 245 (I think he'll make the final roster, I think he can contribute eventually)
Quinn Dorsey 6-4, 260 (not sure whether he'll make the roster or not)
Terry Pierce 6-1, 251 (should make the team, supposed to be pretty talented)
Sam Cowart 6-2, 245 (will likely be our starter at MLB at least until Wong gets back)
Wali Rainer 6-2, 240 (should make the roster)

We have a lot of LBs right now, not any that are a wow player but a lot of fairly solid guys, so it will be interesting to see how this group of 14 is trimmed down to 6-7 throughout training camp and preseason as there are a lot of guys that I could see making the roster, but some will get bumped out as the roster runs out of room.

Runner
04-13-2006, 09:20 AM
How many linebackers to teams typically carry on the final roster?

TommyS
04-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Broncos (Kubiak team and 4-3 D) carried 7 last year.
Colts carried 9.
Jags carried 6.

Ravens (3-4 team) carried 8 backers, but for example Terrell Suggs is listed as a DE (so that would be 9...)

seems to fluctuate.

Runner
04-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Interesting. We've brought in a lot of TC fodder in a variety of positions. I wonder what our final roster count will look like by position. Anyone care to take a shot at that? Just numbers, not names - that comes after the draft.

Trapped
04-13-2006, 10:38 AM
If we carry 7, that mean we will have some stiff competition with 14 guys battling for the 7 roster spots. Wong is injured so we may carry 8.

As of right now, without rookies drafted. I can see this

Greenwood
Shante Orr
Cowart
Wong (Injured)
Terry Pierce
Wali Rainer
Charlie Anderson
Polk

V Man
04-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I know this sounds bad, but what is Wong cap hit if he gets cut on June 1?

Also if he is not completely healed, could the Texans put him on the PUP roster?

TommyS
04-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Interesting. We've brought in a lot of TC fodder in a variety of positions. I wonder what our final roster count will look like by position. Anyone care to take a shot at that? Just numbers, not names - that comes after the draft.

don't forget - peek and babin will be carried as DE's but with LB experience, possibly allowing us to carry more MLBs but less OLBs. i can see Peek getting time at WLB in passing situations with Babin at DE (or the other way around, depending how their coverage skills are developing).

i figure probably
Cowart, Evans, Pierce (or Rainer), Wong, Greenwood, Orr, Polk
+draft pick

TommyS
04-13-2006, 11:01 AM

Also if he is not completely healed, could the Texans put him on the PUP roster?

fron NFL.com
NFL rules allow teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform." Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

it would seem a pretty good way for wong to start the year. he's a smart veteran guy who can learn the system without having to be "at" practice.

under the impression that most people have wong pegged at SLB, so if he is on PUP carry Orr and Polk in his place.

was under the impression that you can't cut a guy who is designated injured?

Runner
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM

If they cut him when injured I believe they also have to negotiate a contract "settlement" with him, in addition to any cap hit. I'm not sure if the settlement counts against the cap or not.

TexanBacker93
04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Cowart was brought in to add leadership to the linebacker corps, and with Wong out, he is the #1 fit into the MLB position (JMO). The stuff I have read about the guy indicates that he is well respected by his teammates, even if his numbers aren't the most impressive, but that could be due in part to the fact that he is injury-prone (the only aspect of this acquisition I don't like, especially since Wong is already out).

http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/mobile_story.php?story=5767774

For last year, he is listed as having 71 tackles and 2 sacks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=4299

I compared that with Orr and Greenwood's performances from 2005. Orr had 34 tackles and 7 sacks. Greenwood had 82 tackles and 2 sacks.

I hope the sack ratio increases with the shift to the 4-3.

If you take assists into consideration Greenwood actually had 112 tackles to Cowart's 84.

kiwitexansfan
04-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Our pass coverage was bad last year. Is there any of these LB's that can cover?? If yes, how about those guys getting a shot?

MorKnolle
04-13-2006, 10:39 PM

Probably 7-8 after all the final cuts, maybe as low as 6 if we had a better group of starters but without any really good LBs we'll probably keep an extra one or two.

If we carry 7, that mean we will have some stiff competition with 14 guys battling for the 7 roster spots. Wong is injured so we may carry 8.

As of right now, without rookies drafted. I can see this

Greenwood
Shante Orr
Cowart
Wong (Injured)
Terry Pierce
Wali Rainer
Charlie Anderson
Polk

At this moment, I think we will end up keeping these guys for sure:
Kailee Wong (likely start the year on the injured list, can play MLB or OLB)
Sam Cowart (start the year as our main MLB, maybe be relocated to the bench once Wong returns from his injury)
Shantee Orr (as of right now I think he'll start at SLB)
Morlon Greenwood (as of right now I think he'll start at WLB)

And then we will keep 3-4 out of this set of guys:
Charlie Anderson
Zeke Moreno
Andre Torrey
Terry Pierce
Wali Rainer
Rookie if we draft one (maybe Roger McIntosh, Terna Nande, Leon Williams, Gerris Wilkinson, Anthony Schlegel)

These guys I think will end up getting bumped out after the roster starts getting cut back in preseason:
Troy Evans
DaShon Polk
Frank Chamberlin
Kenneth Pettway
Quinn Dorsey
whoever gets bumped out of the previous group

TexanFan881
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
I see these LBs making the final roster:

Shantee Orr
Kailee Wong
Charlie Anderson